Video games you've revisited numerous times to try to get into but just can't?

#1 Posted by Speeny (1518 posts) -

For me, it's always been Skyrim believe it or not. I really like the game, but for whatever reason I just stop playing it.

I think I only end up getting to the part with The Greybeards and that's it. (Which isn't very far at all.)

#2 Posted by RSM-HQ (8217 posts) -

Wouldn't punish myself like that. Can cause great anxiety, and is the common cause of curmudgeon mentality.

After my displeasure with Dragon Age: Inquisition; started this timer set-up and works wonders. It's for how long a game has to click with me and be worth playing.

Some are instantaneous and adore the gameplay. Level design, and mechanical depth are usually my go-to, though jolly vibes and a good sense of humor usually help.

If a game fails being fun in that time? I toss the game aside with no regrets/ delete it from my folder/ HDD.

Started to tighten this timer because many newer games are much shorter than expected outside the usual RPG genre, which I rarely play anyhow.

Games are not obligations to me, they are entertainment. Games need to fit our interests, not us, fit them.

#3 Posted by Khazrak134 (160 posts) -

Knights of the Old Republic. Ive started that game maybe.... 6 times... possibly more. As a huge star wars fan, and star wars game fan, especially the older ones, I feel that by default i should be in love with KOTOR, but im just not able to get into it, i dont know what it is. But i just dont have fun playing it.

#4 Posted by thereal25 (1745 posts) -

@speeny said:

For me, it's always been Skyrim believe it or not. I really like the game, but for whatever reason I just stop playing it.

I think I only end up getting to the part with The Greybeards and that's it. (Which isn't very far at all.)

Skyrim is one of those almost but not quite kind of games. If they rewarded exploration, the things you do, the time you invest etc. then it'd be much better. Also, the combat leaves much to be desired.

In my last playthrough, my main frustrations were an increasinly burdensome inventory and difficulty in completing certain quests.

But, come to think of it, maybe I should have done what I did in fallout 4 and just use a console command for an obscenely big inventory!

#5 Posted by outworld222 (2989 posts) -

I would say advance wars. Awesome series that I cannot get into.

#6 Posted by DEVILinIRON (4777 posts) -

Shadow Warrior, X-Com: Enemy Unknown, Mass Effect.

#7 Posted by MarkoftheSivak (253 posts) -

Zelda: OoT, started 3-4 times, just not my game.

Kingdom Hearts: put in at least 3-4 hours on 3-4 attempts, again just can't do it.

Dragon Age: Inquisition - tried at least 3 times, but no go

#8 Posted by npiet1 (2097 posts) -

@MarkoftheSivak: KH you'll need to get off the first world before it gets good.

Oddworld and Final Fantasy for me.

#9 Posted by Vaidream45 (1850 posts) -

ME 3 for me. I loved loved lovedddd ME2 but 3 just feels wrong. Everything is stripped down and nothing seems like it matters.

#10 Posted by Speeny (1518 posts) -

@npiet1: Oddworld was one for me also. I can see the appeal but it's just not my thing.

#11 Posted by gopre (203 posts) -

Metal Gear Solid 5 - A huge fan of MGS 1 through 4. Great series. But just could not get into MGS 5. Attempted a new game numerous times....

#12 Posted by Sevenizz (3648 posts) -

Playstation exclusives. I enjoyed GT2 and the Socom games back in the day, but ever since it’s been dud after dud. Uncharted, Last of Us, Ratchet and Crank, Jax, etc - can’t get into any of em. Nothing on the ps4 makes me want to own one this generation. I’m more tempted to get into psvr, but the barrier to entry in a ps4 which I simply don’t want.

Also the Madden franchise. I like football, but I don’t love it. I feel the games expect you to be some kind of expert by emphasizing plays and terminology - both of which are oblivious to me. Every 5 years or so I try a new one and I’m right back into why I can’t get into them. I appreciate the polish and production value of the games, but I’m just lost as to how to play them properly.

#13 Posted by mastermetal777 (3228 posts) -

Had some false starts with Dishonored before I realized it wasn't my type of game. Not bad by any means, just not my style.

The same goes for the Metro series and Dragon's Dogma. No matter how many chances I give them, I can't seem to get into them like I want to. Almost happened to me with Half-Life 2, but I somehow managed to beat it even though it's not as great a game as everyone makes it out to be.

#14 Posted by RSM-HQ (8217 posts) -
@mastermetal777 said:

Almost happened to me with Half-Life 2, but I somehow managed to beat it even though it's not as great a game as everyone makes it out to be.

Had pretty much the exact same experience, the level design and pacing in HL2 isn't that good. A.I. too was pretty terrible.

Weapons and use of physics are kind of fun enough to finish the game at the very least. But I don't exactly consider it a great FPS.

#15 Edited by robert_sparkes (2939 posts) -

One which is surprising to some is skyrim but when it did click it was a great experience.

#16 Posted by warmblur (2168 posts) -

Fallout 3

#17 Posted by Speeny (1518 posts) -

@MarkoftheSivak: I personally loved Ocarina of Time but there's a lot of travelling involved. Get's kind of tedious doing things by foot when you don't have access to the horse either.

#18 Posted by hrt_rulz01 (18705 posts) -

@speeny said:

Yeah, same. I've given Skyrim a heap of chances (on a bunch of different systems), but it just never clicks with me. Same with all Bethesda Game Studios' games for that matter (all Elder Scrolls and Fallout games).

And inb4 Ghosts blathers on about Wolfenstein/Witcher/any well received game he doesn't like but most others do. Lol.

#19 Edited by Naixard (12 posts) -

World of Warcraft. I simply can't stand MMO RPGs cause they are all much the same game. And why on earth are those characters so ugly? A role game consists on being someone else so why would I want to be uglier than I already am? xD Nah, It's just I don't have patience for MMOs.

#20 Posted by Speeny (1518 posts) -

@naixard: Yep, I agree. They take up a lot of time.

#21 Posted by Jayme584 (8 posts) -

It's Homescapes. I downloaded it from apknite.com. Tried but can't get into

#22 Posted by Naixard (12 posts) -

@speeny: And not only that! They are getting more and more complex: lots of stats, substats and items, massive skill trees...