Video games with worst stories?

  • 67 results
  • 1
  • 2
Avatar image for thereal25
#51 Posted by thereal25 (1811 posts) -

@doomnukem3d said:

@thereal25: Doom 1 and 2 are still excellent to this day. They were also about more than just fast paced action, they were just as much finding you're way through labrynthian level design and exploring to find secrets and useful items.

Also you dont need story to have atmosphere. When I was a kid I used to care about story in games a lot but nowadays it seems they have a tendency to be an annoyance.

I'm not sure if I could go back to that level of gameplay/graphics in this day and age but I certainly played the $hit out of Doom2 back in the day. And I enjoyed pretty much everything from playing through the game on different difficulty settings, to exploring for secrets and using cheats.

But I just didn't find that looking for secret items/rooms in Doom 2016 enjoyable at all for some reason. Just tedious. I stumbled on a few by accident but it didn't really do anything for me.

Avatar image for RSM-HQ
#52 Posted by RSM-HQ (8542 posts) -

@thereal25: Hmm, I would imagine Tetris geared more towards older gamers myself. Being a game that requires concentration and was known to have an older market upon its height.

And I recall studies being shown despite the intended demographic, more adults play Pokémon than children these days.

The rest is likely true. Minecraft and Fortnite especially.

But assuming kids don't play games with stories and NPCs is a far stretch. From my understanding GTA V is popular with children. As is The Witcher III.

Avatar image for doomnukem3d
#53 Posted by DoomNukem3D (370 posts) -

@thereal25: I think classic Doom looks stylish and plays well. I think theres something especially satisfying about taking on Sprite based enimies in fps games.

The reason its tedius in Doom 2016 is probably because of the way the game is structured. The old games were more labrynthian, Doom 2016 was more linear and you basically travel from from one arena where you have to kill all the enemies to progress to the next. The way it's set up makes exploration less fun. It was probably my biggest gripe.

Avatar image for Alexander2cents
#54 Posted by Alexander2cents (253 posts) -

@thereal25: I like how Doom fans just treat Doom franchise like it was always the most violent primal game ever when in actuality you where walking around awkwardly getting the best shot possible.

I'm pretty sure when Doom came out it was so immersive that it made 90's kids head's explode.

Avatar image for RSM-HQ
#55 Edited by RSM-HQ (8542 posts) -
@Alexander2cents said: when in actuality you where walking around awkwardly getting the best shot possible I'm pretty sure when Doom came out it was so immersive that it made 90's kids head's explode.

If you played D00M on a console you played it wrong, without the running key the game would be heavily clunky. One didn't even need to line up a shot right. Because it didn't really do proportional damage.

I was also born way after these older games and heavily enjoyed the first two D00M games. Just throwing that out.

Was it immersive? Not really, was the pixel art lovely? You better believe it. Then again I played the D00M games after retro playing the majority of the CastleVania series. Played D00M series about a year before the release of D00M III so that would be 2003.

I wouldn't call the controls "awkward". 'Simple'? sure. But the puzzles are anything else. Would even say the best part of the D00M games is how they link level design with puzzle solving. Actually shooting is a joke and heavily exploitable, unless the map decides to overwhelm the player.

Avatar image for thereal25
#57 Posted by thereal25 (1811 posts) -

@RSM-HQ said:

@thereal25: Hmm, I would imagine Tetris geared more towards older gamers myself. Being a game that requires concentration and was known to have an older market upon its height.

And I recall studies being shown despite the intended demographic, more adults play Pokémon than children these days.

The rest is likely true. Minecraft and Fortnite especially.

But assuming kids don't play games with stories and NPCs is a far stretch. From my understanding GTA V is popular with children. As is The Witcher III.

Well I can't argue with the statistics but I've always preferred that adults stick to adult games and vice versa.

And games like gtaV and witcher III - damn - ratings are there for a reason! If I had children I would have them playing the nintendo stuff - not violent games like gtaV!

As for tetris, I played that quite a lot when I was younger and it quickly got to the point that I barely had to think about it anymore - ultimately it was just about how fast I could press the rotate/left/right buttons to get the shapes where I wanted them to go. Not that cerebral, in other words!

@doomnukem3d said:

@thereal25: I think classic Doom looks stylish and plays well. I think theres something especially satisfying about taking on Sprite based enimies in fps games.

The reason its tedius in Doom 2016 is probably because of the way the game is structured. The old games were more labrynthian, Doom 2016 was more linear and you basically travel from from one arena where you have to kill all the enemies to progress to the next. The way it's set up makes exploration less fun. It was probably my biggest gripe.

Exactly, you explained it well.

@Alexander2cents said:

@thereal25: I like how Doom fans just treat Doom franchise like it was always the most violent primal game ever when in actuality you where walking around awkwardly getting the best shot possible.

I'm pretty sure when Doom came out it was so immersive that it made 90's kids head's explode.

Yep, there was quite a bit of concern and controvery from the older generation about the content of these games at the time.

Doom was pretty much THE game to be playing - there was nothing else really.

And I remember being so impressed with Doom2 - it seemed so sophisticated and impressive compared to simpler fps's of the time like the original wolf3d.

Avatar image for doomnukem3d
#58 Posted by DoomNukem3D (370 posts) -

@thereal25: I would say System Shock was probably the most sophisticated shooter at the time though its interface is quite difficult to get into even for me. Japan only but there was also Geograph seal which also came out the same year which had platforming, and 3d enemy design (it looks similar to the original Starfox). Also Japan only but arguably the most forward thinking Fps was Star Cruiser which actually had a fleshed out story, 3d enemy design, and rpg elements.

Avatar image for RSM-HQ
#59 Posted by RSM-HQ (8542 posts) -
@thereal25 said:

And games like gtaV and witcher III - damn - ratings are there for a reason! If I had children I would have them playing the nintendo stuff - not violent games like gtaV!

I was guilty of this. Was playing Resident Evil Outbreak online quite a lot when I was much younger. As well as some other adult rated games.

I still liked 'Nintendo stuff' and still do to this day. But am quite into mature themes and settings also.

Avatar image for thereal25
#60 Posted by thereal25 (1811 posts) -

@RSM-HQ said:
@thereal25 said:

And games like gtaV and witcher III - damn - ratings are there for a reason! If I had children I would have them playing the nintendo stuff - not violent games like gtaV!

I was guilty of this. Was playing Resident Evil Outbreak online quite a lot when I was much younger. As well as some other adult rated games.

I still liked 'Nintendo stuff' and still do to this day. But am quite into mature themes and settings also.

I was going to say your parents were guilty not you but then I guess these days it's harder for parents to police children's gaming because of digital downloads.

Avatar image for thereal25
#61 Posted by thereal25 (1811 posts) -

@doomnukem3d said:

@thereal25: I would say System Shock was probably the most sophisticated shooter at the time though its interface is quite difficult to get into even for me. Japan only but there was also Geograph seal which also came out the same year which had platforming, and 3d enemy design (it looks similar to the original Starfox). Also Japan only but arguably the most forward thinking Fps was Star Cruiser which actually had a fleshed out story, 3d enemy design, and rpg elements.

On that note I think Dark Forces deserves a mention; very impressive for 1996!

Avatar image for RSM-HQ
#62 Posted by RSM-HQ (8542 posts) -
@thereal25 said:

I was going to say your parents were guilty not you but then I guess these days it's harder for parents to police children's gaming because of digital downloads.

No digital downloads on a PlayStation 2 but I see your point-of-view.

Avatar image for doomnukem3d
#63 Posted by DoomNukem3D (370 posts) -

@thereal25: Ahh thanks for reminding me to check that out! Not a sw fan but good games are good games.

Avatar image for doomnukem3d
#64 Posted by DoomNukem3D (370 posts) -

As a kid I felt uncomfortable around M rated games or adult stuff in general, the complete opposite of me now. The exception was Mortal Kombat for some reason. Unfortunately I owned Sub Zero on N64.

Avatar image for thereal25
#65 Posted by thereal25 (1811 posts) -

@doomnukem3d said:

As a kid I felt uncomfortable around M rated games or adult stuff in general, the complete opposite of me now. The exception was Mortal Kombat for some reason. Unfortunately I owned Sub Zero on N64.

I played that on pc and arcade! Good times!

Avatar image for uninspiredcup
#66 Posted by uninspiredcup (34378 posts) -
  • Metal Gear Solid 3
  • Resident Evil 6
  • Street Fighter V

Avatar image for Archangel3371
#67 Posted by Archangel3371 (28407 posts) -

I generally enjoy the stories in most of the games that I play especially if they’re crazy and over-the-top like the Metal Gear Solid games. Two games off the top of my head that had storylines in them that hampered my overall enjoyment of the game were Ni No Kuni and Eternal Sonata. I just found the stories in those two games to be quite dull.

Avatar image for robert_sparkes
#68 Edited by robert_sparkes (3234 posts) -

Used to enjoy mortal kombat but the story has got a bit crazy. Resident evil was great up to 3 then went too action oriented. 6 was dreadful.