Video games with worst stories?

Avatar image for Alexander2cents
#1 Edited by Alexander2cents (247 posts) -

Hey guys so I've been playing some games lately from my usual business venture and I have discovered. A lot of games have bland stories. Where would I begin? Now you may say "But Alex, Video gaems are supposed to have bad stories. They are just games!" Well fine sir you'd be right but you'd also be wrong because what wrong with falling in love with a video game and getting attached to it's interesting characters? Well these video games are far from interesting. Lets start.

Crysis- Crysis franchise have bad stories. They first started off with no characters. No motivations. No goals other than kill the bad guy. There is only one likable protagonist and he's the British guy named Psycho and he's kinda funny. Your character has

Clive Barker's Jericho- This one was ambitious and interesting but the delivery and the characters was far too stereotypical. I'm not scared at all of this video game.

Final Fantasy VX- It should be called Entourage Fantasy. The world is bland and not like a fancy Disneyland adventure like other Final Fantasies. Pretty rich boy party. No motivation.

MGSV- This is the saddest entry so far. It started off very strong but excused all the powers of the deep conspiracy for Parasites and Cobra Unit with Wobalchia. This made MGS more retconned that it was before. Big Boss rarely spoke and didn't have a personality. With the ending being cut we all felt like we where played like a DAMN FIDDLE!

Uncharted 1- Especially 1. This had a such a simple story with such simple characterization. In fact I never cared for this franchise but you do you.

The Last of Us first act- Ok the first part of this game where you are hanging out with Ellie and she's really annoying and Joel can't get connected with her it's kind of dumb.

Battlefield 3- You play as no one. You are in Nowherestan war. You must fight. America!

What's yours?

#2 Posted by Sevenizz (3901 posts) -

I don’t like stories in my games and if they’re unskippable, they’re worse.

#3 Posted by Alexander2cents (247 posts) -

@Sevenizz: or in my case "UNPAUSEABLE".

#4 Posted by Random_Matt (4244 posts) -

Just about all of them, Yakuza games have a good one though.

#5 Posted by VFighter (4999 posts) -

Most games I play have good to decent stories so I really can't answer your question.

#6 Posted by Valgaav_219 (2432 posts) -

@Alexander2cents: Of course Ellie was annoying in the beginning of the game. That's why you're able to appreciate who she is by the end of the game. It's called character progression.

#7 Edited by RSM-HQ (8411 posts) -

To be honest most stories in games are pretty awful, because they're not the central focus. Some are tolerable and that usually catches me by surprise. Rarer than that can be called 'good'.

It blows my mind as I recall a poll showing most here only play games for the storytelling. . .

But as for one of the worst, Ninja Gaiden (Xbox/PS3) comes to mind and its sequel. Let's just pretend 3 and Yaiba didn't happen_

Ninja demands revenge. Goes to city, place has demons (fiends). Stabs stuff. Gets revenge along with kills some guy who pretended to befriend the player during the tutorial eight hours ago; End. Oh! and all the women dress like so 'not that it's an issue but worth noting'

#8 Posted by ArchoNils2 (10365 posts) -

Honestly I think 99% of all games have pretty bad stories, including games I actually love. It's pretty rare that I truly enjoy a story. It's really hard to point out the worst ones when there are so many bad ones. Especially with so many games barely having any story at all. Like is it even worth mentioning the story of Smash ultimate for example? Or the story of CTR? Or some obscure crap Indie title like Skylight Freerange 2

#9 Edited by Macutchi (6791 posts) -
@Alexander2cents said:

Crysis- Crysis franchise have bad stories. They first started off with no characters. No motivations. No goals other than kill the bad guy. There is only one likable protagonist and he's the British guy named Psycho and he's kinda funny. Your character has

the plot of crysis starts with a distress call from a team of us archaeologists on a remote island sayin the north koreans captured them. the us special force raptor team are sent in to rescue them and discover why they captured them and their dig site.

warhead is the same story but takes place through the eyes of psycho, another raptor team member, as him and nomad split up for separate missions at the start of crysis. so not sure where the no characters, no motivations and no goals thing comes from. you may be misremembering it.

crysis actually has a really effective story for the game style. it's simple, non-convoluted and keeps the game flowing without ever getting in the way, which is exactly what i want in a shooter

if you were to say crysis 2's story is one of the worst, i'd have agreed. bewilderingly it's got only the most tenuous links to the first games. crytek seemingly forgot they left the first game on a cliffhanger ending. the protagonist is new, the aliens are new, the bad guys are new, the setting is new, prophet (the only link to the previous games) kills himself and (somehow) becomes the nanosuit you inherit (and then therefore you become him, of course) and the (non-alien) antagonist is some cryogenically stored scientist called hargreaves who can still use his brain to do stuff and ultimately ends up trying to steal the suit from you. or something like that.

i only have the haziest memories of crysis 3, but i remember it being painful to play so fortunately didn't get to suffer through what would no doubt have been an equally terrible story

#10 Posted by robert_sparkes (3072 posts) -

Assassins creed Desmond animus stuff I hated it.

#11 Posted by Alexander2cents (247 posts) -

@RSM-HQ: Ninja Gaiden has pretty bad stories. Like this is a world class hack and slash game but we almost know nothing about our hero Ryu or his mission.

#12 Posted by RSM-HQ (8411 posts) -
@Alexander2cents said:

@RSM-HQ: Ninja Gaiden has pretty bad stories. Like this is a world class hack and slash game but we almost know nothing about our hero Ryu or his mission.

The game would rather play great and look cool doing it.

I would state Team Ninja had its priorities right (back then) Ninja Gaiden 3 took a more cinematic angle and butchered the franchise.

#13 Posted by Alexander2cents (247 posts) -

@RSM-HQ: then how come its a sin to like Metroid the other M? I'm being oppressed by story whores.

#14 Posted by Alexander2cents (247 posts) -

@robert_sparkes said:

Assassins creed Desmond animus stuff I hated it.

I had no idea I was the only one.

#15 Edited by RSM-HQ (8411 posts) -
@Alexander2cents said:

@RSM-HQ: then how come its a sin to like Metroid the other M? I'm being oppressed by story whores.

Story wasn't Other Ms biggest issue, though Samus having 'Daddy issues' didn't exactly help the game.

Changing a classic franchise with a praised backlog comes with consequences. And creates a rift within the fandom.

Other M would have been alright as its own IP but fans of that series do not think it's faithful to the source material. Doesn't help that it also has a lack of polish compared to the Prime trilogy. Though I think the main issue is most Nintendo fans do not enjoy Team Ninjas way of creating games. After all they didn't exactly have much in the way of the amazing Ninja Gaiden reboot outside a 'meh' DS entry.

Kind of the same for Lords of Shadow. It's a garbage CastleVania game, plays very different and extremely unfaithful. But an 'ok' slasher in its own right. And I as a Backer to Bloodstained (wanting a return to form) will give LoS that much credit.

dmc is another example. We got Itsuno sans team coming back to create DMC5 for good reason.

#16 Posted by Alexander2cents (247 posts) -

@RSM-HQ:

I guess this never got to me because I was never really a Metroid fan in the first place.

#17 Posted by RSM-HQ (8411 posts) -
@Alexander2cents said:

@RSM-HQ:

I guess this never got to me because I was never really a Metroid fan in the first place.

To be honest you are not missing out on much. Super Metroid is still the best game, and one can play plenty of MetroidVania games that offer a similar experience in 2019. HollowKnight, Owlboy, Guacamelee, etc. At this point I think most Metroid loyalists like the series more for it being a blonde chick with a large rack

The Prime series is beloved but honestly the first one is great and the other two felt obligated to commit to Nintendos obsession with pace breaking gimmicks. I personally prefer Other M to Prime 3.

#18 Edited by darktruth007 (818 posts) -

Diablo 3 and Starcraft 2. WoW really ruined this developer.

#19 Posted by Speeny (1764 posts) -

Honestly, I'd have to say The Last of Us.

Don't get me wrong, I love it as a game...but if it were a TV series it'd be generic & lacking. Just my opinion though.

#20 Posted by RSM-HQ (8411 posts) -
@speeny said:

Honestly, I'd have to say The Last of Us.

Don't get me wrong, I love it as a game...but if it were a TV series it'd be generic & lacking. Just my opinion though.

I generally liked the opening section to the game with the daughter. It's a nice way to set up the world and dark tone. Then that kind of goes nowhere, I expected 28 Days Later and got a variant of Mad Max instead. it goes a bit too Uncharted in its tongue and cheek to me with just a lot of swearing just for the sake of it.

During its time of original release I just found it odd how Vanquish was overlooked for being too "goofy and immature" despite being the clear superior TPS game. TLoU also just has horribly wonky aiming and stealth which apparently is for 'realism' Not sure I believe that.

Much like Bloodborne(compared to DkS3) and God of War IV(compared to DMC5) I find some fans who dedicate themselves to one piece of plastic (in this case PS4) see what they want to see; and dismiss any considerable competition to those precious 'exclusives'.

#21 Edited by thereal25 (1783 posts) -

Doom 2016.

Fallout 4 - no good characters, no bad characters - just choose between random factions - each hell bent on destroying the other factions.

#22 Posted by Shantmaster_K (1469 posts) -

Video games are supposed to have bad stories? I have never heard anyone say that.

But I have to go with Fallout 4. It's sad that your side stories are more interesting and less disappointing than your main story. Although I love the game overall.

#23 Posted by BaelNergal (193 posts) -

Goat Simulator. Worse, because the game's story isn't even consistent in quality, like Fallout 4.

The main Goat Simulator campaign is the thinnest excuse plot possible. But the expansions? You get varying depths of story... but none of these are interconnected and they are all over the place on genre! You have zombie survival, fantasy, space-based scifi... Just all over the place! And while Goatz was better in plot than Day Z and Waste of Space is much better than many full games of the same genre released at around the same time, they are still completely disconnected with no explanation as to how both settings can exist at the same time!

#24 Posted by DoomNukem3D (211 posts) -

Persona 4 was unbearably bad.

#25 Edited by RSM-HQ (8411 posts) -
@thereal25 said:

Doom 2016.

It had a story? Nah I would say at best it had a premise, and a vague one at that.

Remaking a game from the 90's (for the fourth time) comes along with being one note I suppose.

But honestly even then I found the holding us back so some robot could chat for two minutes was more than I wanted.

People don't play games like D00M for the plot. That's why Dusk is better, it cuts out the middle man entirely.

#26 Posted by Alexander2cents (247 posts) -

How come ya'll say video game stories suck when Clannad exists?

#27 Posted by DoomNukem3D (211 posts) -

@Alexander2cents: Barf

#28 Edited by DaVillain- (36901 posts) -

When it comes to video game stories, I pretty much turn off my brain as if I was watching a over the top action movie that takes it seriously and it's just one of those things I don't think too hard on, same with stories in games. It's just one of those things I try not to say this story sucks donkey balls, they are a take it or leave it.

#29 Posted by Mandzilla (4109 posts) -

House of the Dead series maybe? Not just ridiculous stories but so good it's bad voice acting. Great games though!

#30 Edited by RSM-HQ (8411 posts) -
@Alexander2cents said:

How come ya'll say video game stories suck when Clannad exists?

That all depends how much you think something known as 'interactive video' has to do with gaming and the laws games form to be the media they are?

I personally would not call the above a game.

Also "suck" is a bit much as well but sadly not far off. Most are just underwhelming, and only serving as loading screens to get the game built for our enjoyment.

If I give one form of praise it's in the voice acting. Many the audio scripts I listen to are very well done. Has come along way since my childhood. Entertaining sometimes. But that doesn't change that they usually talk too long, usually about nothing, wishing they'd cut it down to single sentences. Though in fairness that's not the problem of the voice actors (well some examples are because of voice actors wanting more lines), but usually the writers that have to work for the restrictions of a game, the games rules, that itself doesn't aid well to storytelling.

Stories in games are force fed to explain the laws of how a game operates so feels out of place. And takes us away from gameplay, the aspect most entertaining about our games.

The method Half Life 2 popularised had us stand around in-game waiting for a script to get the ball rolling. And personally I really, really dislike that method. Doesn't matter if we can move, if what is possible to the player is entirely superficial.

As such my favorite cutscenes are usually short, cool, and barely relevant to anything. I also like jokes so Disgaea and Monkey Island are welcome. And stories they are not_

#31 Edited by thereal25 (1783 posts) -

@RSM-HQ said:
@thereal25 said:

Doom 2016.

It had a story? Nah I would say at best it had a premise, and a vague one at that.

Remaking a game from the 90's (for the fourth time) comes along with being one note I suppose.

But honestly even then I found the holding us back so some robot could chat for two minutes was more than I wanted.

People don't play games like D00M for the plot. That's why Dusk is better, it cuts out the middle man entirely.

I don't expect a Shakespearean masterpiece from these type of action games but there must be SOME plot or story to keep interest alive.

Good examples of action oriented games with adequate stories would be F.E.A.R and Doom3...

In F.E.A.R there was a sense of mystery surrounding alma which unfolded slowly throughout.

And in Doom3, there was plenty of atmosphere, with the occasional npc, pda or data panel to help move the story along.

But in Doom 2016, the atmosphere was no longer there, you just wake up from some chamber and it's like "pick up that gun over there and go shoot stuff!" All attempts at story were just uninspired and cringe worthy. And I agree about that robot - a totally uninteresting character - along with the rest.

Btw, I hadn't heard of Dusk; it sounds interesting. It certainly gets good reviews. I guess old-school games like this can get a pass for having little or no story if the gameplay is fun enough, but for modern games I expect npc's and some sort of plot or story.

#32 Posted by RSM-HQ (8411 posts) -
@thereal25 said:

I don't expect a Shakespearean masterpiece from these type of action games but there must be SOME plot or story to keep interest alive.

Disagree. As I brought up earlier; Ninja Gaiden: Black/ Sigma is considered one of the best 'Action' Hack n' Slash games of all time. And pretty sure no one who enjoys the game gives a damn about the story aspect of it. D00M is in the same boat, D00M and D00M II are two of the most praised games of all time and from my knowledge have terrible stories.

Good examples of action oriented games with adequate stories would be F.E.A.R and Doom3...

Ermm. . . D00M III you say? I don't really want to go into this can of worms again so here is a link to a conversation about that glorified tech demo with horrible level design.

https://www.gamespot.com/forums/games-discussion-1000000/future-of-bethesda-33447452/

As for F.E.A.R. I've honestly never played so would not like to throw in any thoughts_

Either way, different people different tastes is something I strongly believe in so if you like them both that's fantastic.

But in Doom 2016, the atmosphere was no longer there, you just wake up from some chamber and it's like "pick up that gun over there and go shoot stuff!"

Well, hate to tell you but that's exactly what D00M was, and is loved for. If you wanted an emphasis on tense atmosphere much better games than D00M III (which reuses assets more than a TESIV Oblivion Gate). Pretty much any well regarded Survival Horror game has it beat easily, and to throw in a forgotten gem Demento is one of them.

Btw, I hadn't heard of Dusk; it sounds interesting. It certainly gets good reviews. I guess old-school games like this can get a pass for having little or no story if the gameplay is fun enough, but for modern games I expect npc's and some sort of plot or story.

Dusk would still class as modern, it's just also indie. Was recommended to me for liking run -n-gun shooters and was advertised to be like D00M IV without the pacing issues.

And well a lot of modern games are going back cutting the fat on that NPC stuff. Plus I think it heavily varies from genre. If you look at many of the heavy hitters from 2018-2019 they do not focus on story telling (Monster Hunter: World, Super Mario Odyssey, Battle Royale genre, Tetris 99, Resident Evil 2 Remake)

While games that did are poorly received (Anthem, Days Gone, Agony, Dark Siders III, Battlefield V, etc) I think Rockstar is one of the few doing it recently in a positive manner for its fandom. Didn't count the new Spider Man game because I've read what people like most about that game is swinging.

#33 Posted by DaVillain- (36901 posts) -

Aside from Doom 2016, it kinda did had a story to tell mainly because I was following Dr. Samuel Hayden but even as the game progress, even I knew Hayden was gonna double-cross me but in another way, he's just a businessman who doesn't pick from good or evil, he had his own agenda.

I also like to mention that I'm a Halo fan, I follow the story cause it's what I love about Halo's series as a sci-fi story. I been following Master Chief's from start and looking forward to his epic adventure in Infinite next year.

All in all, I guess it all depends what you make a game a story, to me, Titanfall didn't have a story to tell but Titanfall 2 did and I love it.

#34 Posted by DoomNukem3D (211 posts) -

@RSM-HQ: While I dont care for the story itself I actually like how stylish some of the cutscenes in Ninja Gaiden Black are stylish like when Ryu hijacks and crashes the train.

I felt like Doom 2016 was parodying fps tropes. I noticed a lot of stuff that felt stripped out of classic fls games like Half Life and System Shock 2.

Also I feel like the best video game stories are the ones that take advantage of being video game stories rather than trying to replicate movies. I liked in System Shock games being able to pick up logs I could I could listen to at any time and play while I'm in the middle of doing something else.

#35 Posted by RSM-HQ (8411 posts) -

@doomnukem3d:

While I dont care for the story itself I actually like how stylish some of the cutscenes in Ninja Gaiden Black are stylish like when Ryu hijacks and crashes the train.

But that's not really storytelling. I agree a lot of Ninja Gaiden is cool. Ryu is awesome but that isn't really telling a story. He's just a cool ninja doing cool ninja stuff.

I felt like Doom 2016 was parodying fps tropes. I noticed a lot of stuff that felt stripped out of classic fls games like Half Life and System Shock 2.

Yep, being able to move but not progress certainly reminded me of Half Life 2. . . Never liked that kind of pacing myself. Gives the illusion of choice when really the player has none.

#36 Edited by jeezers (3012 posts) -

@RSM-HQ: yeah the story in ninja gaiden is bad lmao, funny cus its one of my favorite games of all time, I actually like the story because its so rediculous and the bosses are over the top, like when ryu drives a motorcycle on to a plane after jumping out of hellicopter.

Actually i change my mind, in video game terms ninja gaiden has one of the greatest stories imo lol

#37 Posted by DoomNukem3D (211 posts) -

@RSM-HQ: I guess it depends on what you call storytelling, I mean generally I like to think of what you do while playing the game as story. I'd still prefer a story like what NGB has over something like Persona 4.

I've never played Half life 2 I played the first one. Theres a couple of moments like that but I dont recall too many (the team at the beginning and when you set off a rocket and have to wait till it's done are the only moments that come go mind). I was thinking more of the health stations on the wall, and traversing your way through machinery.

#38 Posted by RSM-HQ (8411 posts) -
@jeezers said:

@RSM-HQ: yeah the story in ninja gaiden is bad lmao, funny cus its one of my favorite games of all time

Can agree with this, I adore Ninja Gaiden. If the camera was better the game would be near perfection.

#39 Posted by robert_sparkes (3072 posts) -

Dark souls to me is trash as a story I just don't want to find fragments to piece together the story.

#40 Posted by DoomNukem3D (211 posts) -

@robert_sparkes: I'd say the opposite. I love that I can almost completely ignore the story and focus on playing the game.

#41 Posted by RSM-HQ (8411 posts) -
@doomnukem3d said:

@robert_sparkes: I'd say the opposite. I love that I can almost completely ignore the story and focus on playing the game.

#42 Posted by robert_sparkes (3072 posts) -

Everyone's different after playing the witcher 3 it's changed everything for me and story is huge.

#44 Posted by DoomNukem3D (211 posts) -

@robert_sparkes: I feel interested in trying it but I hear the combat is trash.

#45 Edited by RSM-HQ (8411 posts) -
@doomnukem3d said:

feel interested in trying it but I hear the combat is trash.

I've put a few hours into The Witcher III (been communed was halfway through the main questline) and can confirm its combat and overall enemy A.I. has much to be desired. You may even come across some odd glitches and easily realised exploits_

However does a better job than something like The Elder Scrolls series, so take that as you will. And honestly that's the closest game series it has in common with.

TW3 is a game I still recommend over other modern openworld RPG games, if that's the players mood? TW3 actually handles side quests really well, which is welcome in a sea of stagnant fetch quests from other games of this vein.

Really depends what you are after when diving-in.

#46 Posted by thereal25 (1783 posts) -

@RSM-HQ said:
@thereal25 said:

Disagree. As I brought up earlier; Ninja Gaiden: Black/ Sigma is considered one of the best 'Action' Hack n' Slash games of all time. And pretty sure no one who enjoys the game gives a damn about the story aspect of it. D00M is in the same boat, D00M and D00M II are two of the most praised games of all time and from my knowledge have terrible stories.

Ermm. . . D00M III you say? I don't really want to go into this can of worms again so here is a link to a conversation about that glorified tech demo with horrible level design.

https://www.gamespot.com/forums/games-discussion-1000000/future-of-bethesda-33447452/

As for F.E.A.R. I've honestly never played so would not like to throw in any thoughts_

Either way, different people different tastes is something I strongly believe in so if you like them both that's fantastic.

But in Doom 2016, the atmosphere was no longer there, you just wake up from some chamber and it's like "pick up that gun over there and go shoot stuff!"

Well, hate to tell you but that's exactly what D00M was, and is loved for. If you wanted an emphasis on tense atmosphere much better games than D00M III (which reuses assets more than a TESIV Oblivion Gate). Pretty much any well regarded Survival Horror game has it beat easily, and to throw in a forgotten gem Demento is one of them.

Dusk would still class as modern, it's just also indie. Was recommended to me for liking run -n-gun shooters and was advertised to be like D00M IV without the pacing issues.

And well a lot of modern games are going back cutting the fat on that NPC stuff. Plus I think it heavily varies from genre. If you look at many of the heavy hitters from 2018-2019 they do not focus on story telling (Monster Hunter: World, Super Mario Odyssey, Battle Royale genre, Tetris 99, Resident Evil 2 Remake)

While games that did are poorly received (Anthem, Days Gone, Agony, Dark Siders III, Battlefield V, etc) I think Rockstar is one of the few doing it recently in a positive manner for its fandom. Didn't count the new Spider Man game because I've read what people like most about that game is swinging.

Well, as you say, different people different tastes. I generally find myself drawn to games with rich stories, atmospheres and plenty of npc interaction. I usually tire of pure-action games fairly quick but there may be the odd exception.

That said, I do believe a game like Doom can benefit with having more focus on atmosphere, story and npc interaction. Doom3 did it quite well (and there ARE quite a few of us that believe Doom3>Doom4.)

Sure the roots of Doom were all about fast-paced action but that doesn't mean that future iterations of the game have to be condemned to the same old-school brainless gallery shooter scenario. Doom 1 & 2 were good for their time, but these days so much more could be done.

#47 Posted by DoomNukem3D (211 posts) -

@thereal25: Doom 1 and 2 are still excellent to this day. They were also about more than just fast paced action, they were just as much finding you're way through labrynthian level design and exploring to find secrets and useful items.

Also you dont need story to have atmosphere. When I was a kid I used to care about story in games a lot but nowadays it seems they have a tendency to be an annoyance.

#48 Posted by RSM-HQ (8411 posts) -
@thereal25 said:

Doom3 did it quite well (and there ARE quite a few of us that believe Doom3>Doom4

I'm sure it does. Never stated otherwise. I've seen support for many games which generally have a polarising reputation. 3D Sonic the Hedgehog games more support here than one would expect as well, I've seen some say Sonic Forces> Sonic Mania.

That doesn't necessarily make these opinions any less controversial.

That said, I do believe a game like Doom can benefit with having more focus on atmosphere, story and npc interaction

I personally disagree. But that doesn't make your view any less valid.

I generally find myself drawn to games with rich stories, atmospheres and plenty of npc interaction. I usually tire of pure-action games fairly quick but there may be the odd exception.

And that's perfectly fine, play what you want to play. However that doesn't mean all games should cater towards one gaming audience over another.

Some of the most financially successful games ever made consist of Tetris, Minecraft, Pokémon, Mario Kart, and Battle Royale genre. Showing many Gamers don't care/want storytelling. And just want a gaming experience.