Video games SUCK now

• 87 results
#51 Posted by AlexKidd5000 (2741 posts) -

@nulld said:

I've been a game designer at a few different development studios, and the large publicly traded companies favor game concepts that are likely to be a wild success. A minimum bar of $100 million in predicted profits is not an uncommon requirement for a project. And, it's easier to get predictions of $100 million in sales when the game concept is similar to another game that sold that much. That's why there are so many sequels and copycats, and it's exactly the types of games in the original post: the Calls of Duty's, the MMOs, etc.It does sometimes seem that those are the only types of games out there, but that's just their marketing flooding everything. Those companies won't think twice about dropping down $20 mil for a marketing campaign.

But as folks have pointed out, there are plenty of innovative games out there for folks who are willing to search for them. There are tons of independent developers trying to do cool new things - myself included :)

I understand that, I think in the last 5 years or so, my excitement for games has diminished almost completely, maybe some day I will be able to be exited about games again. I don't like the direction that much of the game industry has taken. Failed kickstarter projects, and early access games are also responsible for my disinterest in most games nowadays, I like it best when a game is kept completely away from the public until it's near completion. Maybe it's becuase I'm older, but damn, I just don't care about gaming much anymore, I mostly play classic games now, or games made 8 to 10 years ago.

#52 Posted by nulld (27 posts) -

@AlexKidd5000:

Out of curiosity, what are some of those classic games you're still playing?

But yeah, I'm noticing a lot of those failed kickstarter projects. I'm trying to learn what I can to avoid pitfalls for my game. For a while, it seemed that folks appreciated "early access" like they were backstage passes. Now more and more, I've seen people saying that "early access" turns out to be too buggy and unfinished to be worth it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6
#53 Posted by deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6 (2638 posts) -

@AlexKidd5000: The fact that you’ve only played so few new games means that you have a lack of experience and that you can’t expect anyone to take your rant seriously.

#54 Edited by Celtic_34 (1903 posts) -

As someone who has better things to do I think the game industry has issues. I also think if my car breaks down, and I state that, being called a hater for that is absurd. First i'd probably try to fix it and then take it somewhere.

The truth is I enjoy games too and know they are games and people overly dramatize things it's absurd. If I have an issue with a game it's just people who can't take criticism. It has nothing to do with me being negative. I'm actually a very positive person. The fact i'd say something I don't like and think people would get that in a positive sense says that.

Think about it. If someone is playing a game and doesn't like something do you call them haters in reality? Do you have any idea how absurd that is? I don't like everything about every game I play. Some games are really fun. Some aren't. Just difference of opinion. I don't bag on people who don't like something I do. It just goes to show how immature people are. That's the truth.

I like a game i'm a fanboy. I don't like something i'm a hater. The truth is people are stupid and can't see that. The issue is people like you who can't see that stuff. 90 percent of you would look like idiots if you acted that way in reality. Most people are delusional.

Gaming blows in general nowadays because people are stupid and really selfish and take things personally because that's how they are.

#56 Edited by Celtic_34 (1903 posts) -

@jimmy_russell said:

@Celtic_34: This has nothing to do with the intolerance of the gaming community, save that rant for another discussion. Gaming sucks today because publishers are greedy and they don't care about their customers, and developers are lazy and would rather get an easy paycheque than try to push the envelope. It's all cashcows and day 1 DLC, horrible cliches everywhere. People are stupid and selfish, that's inherent to our species, but that doesn't justify the monkeys in suits that take advantage of the situation while destroying something beautiful in the process.

I agree with you, although people are short sighted in general. The game industry has become big business and a lot of the people controlling it are trying to do just that and protect themselves. Playing AC Unity right now. Ubisoft is now trying t release the same game each year to draw revenue. The game looks beautiful. The game itself and how it plays is a buggy pile of poo. They are willing to do that and release a game like that and screw over gamers to protect themselves.

The issue is people who will defend this stuff in any way they can, like I need to get a life, when I'm just stating a fact. I wouldn't be here unless I liked games. A lot games aren't very good nowadays because of this stuff. I don't care if a company makes billions of dollars anyways. Bobby Kotick is just a person like me as far as i'm concerned. He's spent his entire life trying to screw up videogames and for him to tell me to get a life because i make a post on a forum that has a differing opinion than his, is absurd in and of itself.

People will be like you should have researched it. I may have but there are only so many choices when it comes to games. These are games to me. Why release a game that is buggy and then market it like it's not. Create review embargos and everything in between. All that time could be spent making a better game so we can all have lives. They are greedy like you said.

Companies know 90 percent of their sales are 1st day sales hence review embargos. I didn't buy AC Unity first day. I actually waited to see what people thought. The issue is there are only so many choices if i want to play a game I might like because of business tactics like that. They get all the suckers 1st day. I might not be a sucker. Doesn't matter.

#57 Edited by hxce (2098 posts) -

@AlexKidd5000 said:

I have only played like...2 or 3 new games in the last 5 or 6 years. Video games SUCK now.

My problem is that every game HAS to either be a god damn call of duty clone, or be online only (of multi player is tacked on, at the expense of the single player), like an MMO, or some other piece of shit. I can't believe how god awful the game industry has become. Not everyone wants to play games online with stupid assholes, and would rather just play alone offline. And DLC that rapes the hell out of your wallet, getting nickle and dimed at every turn. And some games requiring you to have a stupid mobile device in order to do certain things in games. **** video games, they will never be good again.

I feel the same way. It's all about making games that have just the right amount of content, just the right amount of fun innit. DLC's, season passes, micro-transactions. Let's not talk about Early Access games. Let's play. Twitch. Gaming has become a fashion just like any other media industry. It's Hollywood. You have to look hard to find good games today if you grew up with them from the start. Look for indie games mate. Play games that were made with passion. People are so easily brainwashed by this industry. It's not even entertainment anymore.

Playing Destiny is the same as sucking off a Beiber.

#58 Edited by punksterdaddy (1359 posts) -

I recommend giving a strategy game a try, such as XCOM Enemy Within, as I have been feeling the exact same way for quite a while now.

That was until I bought XCOM: Enemy Within, it actually gave me some hope that this industry isn't completely beyond help, I wasn't even a big fan of strategy games and now I wish there were more to choose from.

I initially got XCOM: Enemy Unknown and I liked it but it did feel rather basic, but then I heard about last years expansion and although the story is basically the same, the game-play is far more interesting and it doesn't feel as barren as it's counterpart.

My solution to you is to buy that now, whether it's for PC or console, it doesn't matter and let me know what you think if you do? Any XCOM game is worth it, but the Enemy Within gives you far more for your money.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d307c5efcda
#59 Posted by deactivated-57d307c5efcda (1302 posts) -

@AlexKidd5000 said:

@Old_Gooseberry said:

"I have only played like...2 or 3 new games in the last 5 or 6 years. Video games SUCK now."

I agree with some of what you said OP... but i think you need to branch out more and play more games. only 2-3 games in 6 years is like .01% of whats out there. And if you were only playing Call of duty type games, that there is your problem, these are scripted, linear, god awful games with a stupid storyline and A to B gameplay, and a gaming community filled with the scum of the earth and should be avoided.

I've played games pretty consistantly since the late 80s with pc and console games, and games are overall a lot better. But there are some gaps, i haven't played every game ever made, nobody has...

But i haven't played many games that i would consider instant classics as much now as i did maybe before.

So play more games, saying games suck after only playing 3 in the last 6 years proves you're not really into gaming anymore.

Theres so many games the majority like, but i don't... then theres some games not many like but I do like... so you have to take a few risks and try out some that you are interested in despite what their reviews get or what the majority say is good.

That was a bit of an exaggeration, it's more like 10 to 12 games, but still, yeah, not enough. And actually, half of the games I have played have been indie games. The BS that has happened in the game industry has put a bad taste in my mouth. But most games don't really hold my interest anymore. I like huge games, with deep story lines, and interesting characters. Mass Effect is a game like that, but there was something about the gameplay I didn't like, maybe it was the fact that it was a cover shooter, or the hud system was a bit over done.

Go play Dragon Age Inquisition

#60 Posted by neatfeatguy (4169 posts) -

@AlexKidd5000: It just simply sounds like games aren't where your interests lie right now - at least not with newer games that are coming out. Perhaps you still enjoy older games you've already played/beat...there's nothing wrong with that. Or maybe your expectations and tastes have changed in games and nothing is meeting those standards yet in the recent years.

Overall, you don't seem happy with gaming at the moment, based on your initial post. Maybe you need a break from gaming or you need to divert your time/energy into another aspect of your life that you enjoy.

I personally dislike CoD and Battlefield games since CoD 2 and Battlefield 2142. I've tried a few of the games these franchises released since then and I just don't like them. So I can agree with you that single player games seem to have diminished or they're more heavily focused towards online play - I just choose not to play those games.

Try finding games that you enjoy and avoid the titles you don't like.

The few games I'm currently enjoying (and I have a large back log to go through still, but these are a few I'm spending time in):

• South Park: The Stick of Truth
  • League of Legends
  • Borderlands 2 (I spend 3-6 hours a week playing co-op with my younger brother)
  • Sniper Elite 2 (co-op is very entertaining)
  • Terraria
  • State of Decay (when I feel like slaughtering zombies)
  • Shoot Many Robots (when I just need to shoot something that doesn't require much else; jump, shoot, slide and just blow shit up)
  • FarCry 3 (just started playing it, I've had it for about 12 months now, was gifted to me on Steam last Christmas sale)

I've got so many games that I've never played or haven't beaten - hell, I've got mayb 24+ physical copies of games that are not even opened. I used to keep track and I believe my backlog was 120+ games....I don't buy very many games anymore. I'm generally gifted games in Steam for Christmas/birthdays.

My tastes in games have changed over the years. I used to be really big on RTS games - I loved them....I haven't purchased one or played one for 4-5 years (maybe longer). I just don't find them entertaining like I once did. Last one I bought and played through was Company of Heroes.

Avatar image for SilverBlade1805
#61 Posted by SilverBlade1805 (69 posts) -

I don't think video games suck right now.However I dislike the generic CoD's and stuff.Some great games such as Dragon's Dogma,Kingdoms of Amalur,Fire Emblem Awakening,TLOZ A Link Between Worlds,Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate,Dark Souls,The Last of Us(albeit not the best game ever as many proclaim it to be,but still great,if you're not a fan of possibly a bit too much story then pass this up),Borderlands 2 etc.If you count 2009 as 'now' Uncharted 2 and Demons Souls.But I totally understand where you're coming from,even if I'm not that old of a gamer I can tell between boring and good.For example I for one am sick of hearing Call of Duty's name everywhere,Minecraft too.A lot of new games this gen aren't great or even good,but the ones that are don't deserve to be overlooked.

#62 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (19564 posts) -

@SilverBlade1805

Dragon's Dogma is not a great game.... Great ideas ? Sure but a great game overall ? Nope.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
#63 Posted by deactivated-57ad0e5285d73 (21398 posts) -

Games industry right now is exactly like a Mcdonalds Kids meal. All Marketing, box with sht inside, and a cheap broken toy. Got to go around the corner to the higher priced, lower sale, burger joint where the real deal is--nintendo.

#64 Edited by Creadalf (27 posts) -

People say this every year. We have had plenty of good games this year, and some abysmal ones too. It's really down to perspective *shrug*

#65 Edited by pook99 (760 posts) -

@Celtic_34 said:

As someone who has better things to do I think the game industry has issues. I also think if my car breaks down, and I state that, being called a hater for that is absurd. First i'd probably try to fix it and then take it somewhere.

The truth is I enjoy games too and know they are games and people overly dramatize things it's absurd. If I have an issue with a game it's just people who can't take criticism. It has nothing to do with me being negative. I'm actually a very positive person. The fact i'd say something I don't like and think people would get that in a positive sense says that.

Think about it. If someone is playing a game and doesn't like something do you call them haters in reality? Do you have any idea how absurd that is? I don't like everything about every game I play. Some games are really fun. Some aren't. Just difference of opinion. I don't bag on people who don't like something I do. It just goes to show how immature people are. That's the truth.

I like a game i'm a fanboy. I don't like something i'm a hater. The truth is people are stupid and can't see that. The issue is people like you who can't see that stuff. 90 percent of you would look like idiots if you acted that way in reality. Most people are delusional.

Gaming blows in general nowadays because people are stupid and really selfish and take things personally because that's how they are.

Could you clarify how this has anything to do with the state of gaming. I agree that people in the internet are jackasses, but that is not exclusive to the gaming community, that is what being anonymous does to people with low self-esteem. So while I agree with the essence of the post, I am not getting how it relates to the gaming industry in general.

#66 Edited by Celtic_34 (1903 posts) -

@pook99 said:

@Celtic_34 said:

Could you clarify how this has anything to do with the state of gaming. I agree that people in the internet are jackasses, but that is not exclusive to the gaming community, that is what being anonymous does to people with low self-esteem. So while I agree with the essence of the post, I am not getting how it relates to the gaming industry in general.

I think people are inherently selfish and don't look at the big picture. As long as it serves them they don't care how it affects everyone else. Most people as long as they are making money they don't care. Gamers are the same way. As long as it suits them.

#67 Posted by pook99 (760 posts) -

@Celtic_34 said:

@pook99 said:

@Celtic_34 said:

I think people are inherently selfish and don't look at the big picture. As long as it serves them they don't care how it affects everyone else. Most people as long as they are making money they don't care. Gamers are the same way. As long as it suits them.

You are making broad sweeping statements about humanity right now, and while I don't agree with your overly pessimistic view of humanity, that is not really the issue at hand. The thread is about video games sucking now, how does any of this have any relevance to the topic at hand?

#68 Edited by Celtic_34 (1903 posts) -
@pook99 said:

@Celtic_34 said:

@pook99 said:

@Celtic_34 said:

You are making broad sweeping statements about humanity right now, and while I don't agree with your overly pessimistic view of humanity, that is not really the issue at hand. The thread is about video games sucking now, how does any of this have any relevance to the topic at hand?

I don't know man. There are some really assanine people out there and it probably does have something to do with games sucking. Games don't make themselves and I'm not sure developers are always listening to everyone. IT's not all bad though. There are still a lot of games out there that are enjoyable you just have to find the ones you like.

It's a two way street anyways. If developers want to put microtransactions in their games at least listen to gamers otherwise. Games are still pretty expensive but if they are good and last a while and worth it and new ideas are being pushed forward that's all that matters.

#69 Edited by uninspiredcup (26730 posts) -

@AlexKidd5000 said:

I have only played like...2 or 3 new games in the last 5 or 6 years. Video games SUCK now.

Uh huh.

#70 Posted by pook99 (760 posts) -

celtic:

1) there has always been bad games and good games, nothing has changed in that regard, nor will it ever.

2) I also hate microtransactions, which is why I refuse to buy them, however you can't blame developers. You said they should listen to gamers, the fact that gamers are buying these microtransactions is sending a message to developers that they want microtransactions. So developers are listening to gamers, if the gaming population ever smartens up and stops buying them, then developers will stop including them in their games.

3) games are roughly the same price they have always been, except now they go on sale much quicker and for much cheaper than years past, so that is an improvement.

4) Your last sentence can be applied to all parts of gaming history

Avatar image for SilverBlade1805
#71 Posted by SilverBlade1805 (69 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu It all depends on opinion.I believe it was a great game,you may not.But it all comes down to opinion.It wasn't excellent or mind-blowing but in my opinion a great game nonetheless.I'm not a crazy guy who disrespects your personal opinion,I respect it.

#72 Edited by wwefan4ever (629 posts) -

Videogames do not suck now, it's the people like the person who made this topic that sucks. The most spoiled generation when it comes to game sucks now apparantly?

Typical idiot millenials.

#73 Edited by jun_aka_pekto (23520 posts) -

Even an old-school PC flight simmer has options because the sheer variety of games now is astounding.

Add the backward compatibility of the PC and list is even bigger. No one could have played them all, even if they gamed 24/7.

#74 Posted by Sam3231 (2080 posts) -
@wwefan4ever said:

Videogames do not suck now, it's the people like the person who made this topic that sucks. The most spoiled generation when it comes to game sucks now apparantly?

Why bump a topic from 3 years ago?

#76 Edited by pyro1245 (3664 posts) -

On consoles, maybe......

#77 Edited by hrt_rulz01 (16222 posts) -

@wiouds said:

I am enjoying many of the games that have been coming out. Just not most indie games. I think we are getting flooded by indie games.

Except Indies are where most of the interesting stuff is coming from nowadays...

#78 Posted by warmblur (415 posts) -

AAA games are sure going to shit and it's a damn shame I have no interest in indie games at all I did the whole 2-D platformer stuff in the 90's doesn't satisfy me anymore gameplay or graphics wise. Publishers greed and the lack of invocation is killing the gaming industry .For me VR is a million times more exciting then traditional gaming I can't wait to see what VR will be like in 10 years.

#79 Posted by Starshine_M2A2 (5123 posts) -

Games don’t suck. There are just a lot more of them now which means more bad ones you have to avoid. There are plenty of great titles being released every year - you just need to be more careful with what you pick up.

#80 Edited by breadwarrior20 (5 posts) -

MANY GAMES NOW IS PAY 2 WIN SYSTEM. I HATE THOSE!

#81 Posted by Maryer (3 posts) -

Which 2 games

Avatar image for skillednarcissist
#82 Edited by SkilledNarcissist (12 posts) -

Best year of gaming in the best generation of gaming, with next year even being better than this year, yet this guy still says gaming sucks now =w=

Yakuza 0, Horizon Zero Dawn, Nex Machina, Yakuza Kiwami, Gravity Rush 2, Resident Evil, Nioh, Persona 5, The Surge, Nier Automata, Spellforce 3, Super Mario Odyssey, Prey, Diluvion, Divinity: Original Sin 2, Observer, Get Even, What Remains of Edith Finch, Injustice 2, Tekken 7, Wolfenstein 2, Zero Escape: The Nonary Games, Kingdom Hearts 1.5/2.5, Kingdom Hearts 2.8, Guilty Gear Xrd Rev 2, Danganronpa 1 and 2 Reload, Danganronpa V3, Hollow Knight, Sonic Mania, Torment: Tides of Numenera, Shiness: The Lightning Kingdom, Gundam Versus, Mario + Rabbids, Xenoblade 2, Breath of the Wild, Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun, Uncharted: The Lost Legacy, Wipeout: Omega Collection, Crash Bandicoot N Sane Trilogy, A Hat in Time, that other failed platformer, Snakepass, Superhot, Little Nightmares, The Sexy Brutale, Rime, Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice, Sniper Elite 4, Redout, etc etc. All of which are single player games.

#83 Posted by ArchoNils2 (9865 posts) -

@wwefan4ever said:

Why did you revive a threa that is almost 3 years old?

#84 Edited by Grenadeh (207 posts) -

@AlexKidd5000:

Now that's funny. Y'all are as bad as /r/gaming.

There are at least 30 games coming out each year more than worth playing but you're going to cry that 5 AAA piece of trash titles per year are focused heavily on online, or, that trashy survival games like PUBG are popular. When there are literally thousands of other, better games, to play. Modern gaming as in the overhyped AAA junk being pushed to the Xbox/Playstation crowd? Yes. Those games do suck. Most of them are also re-re-re-re-re-rereleases of the same games you already bought 5 times on different systems, too. Stop buying them and maybe a developer will make something new that ends up being good.

I have over 2000 games and I'm still buying new and old stuff and trying to play them all. I don't see how you could possibly prefer to complain about new releases when there are, again, literally thousands of games worth playing at your fingertips. All you're doing by limiting yourself to "new" games is depriving yourself of entertainment and experiencing great games. There's no possible way you've played every good release, even from 2017.

This year alone there were so many good games:

Prey, RE7, Wolfenstein 2, The Surge, Breath of the Wild, Super Mario Odyssey, Nier, Nioh, Bloodbourne, HZD supposedly, D:OS 2, Sniper Elite 4, Hellblade (not really), XCOM 2 War of the Chosen, Shadow Tactics, Steamworld Dig 2, Total Warhammer 2, come on now buddy.

#85 Posted by TryIt (6591 posts) -

Have you seen the items on this list? its just a short list of games I have enjoyed or want to play but its not the full list

Just games i have played that I like

Space EngineersMedieval Engineers

7 Days to Die

Imperium Galactic Survival

The Forest

Subnautica

Life is Feudal

Stranded Deep

From the Depths

Kerbal Space Program

StarMade

Another Brick in the Mall

Elite Dangerous

Cities Skylines

Planet Coaster

Kenshi

RimWorld

Hospitalize

Kingdoms

Wurm Unlimited

My Summer Car

Banished

Out of Reach

#86 Posted by TryIt (6591 posts) -

@Grenadeh said:

@AlexKidd5000:

Now that's funny. Y'all are as bad as /r/gaming.

There are at least 30 games coming out each year more than worth playing but you're going to cry that 5 AAA piece of trash titles per year are focused heavily on online, or, that trashy survival games like PUBG are popular. When there are literally thousands of other, better games, to play. Modern gaming as in the overhyped AAA junk being pushed to the Xbox/Playstation crowd? Yes. Those games do suck. Most of them are also re-re-re-re-re-rereleases of the same games you already bought 5 times on different systems, too. Stop buying them and maybe a developer will make something new that ends up being good.

I have over 2000 games and I'm still buying new and old stuff and trying to play them all. I don't see how you could possibly prefer to complain about new releases when there are, again, literally thousands of games worth playing at your fingertips. All you're doing by limiting yourself to "new" games is depriving yourself of entertainment and experiencing great games. There's no possible way you've played every good release, even from 2017.

This year alone there were so many good games:

Prey, RE7, Wolfenstein 2, The Surge, Breath of the Wild, Super Mario Odyssey, Nier, Nioh, Bloodbourne, HZD supposedly, D:OS 2, Sniper Elite 4, Hellblade (not really), XCOM 2 War of the Chosen, Shadow Tactics, Steamworld Dig 2, Total Warhammer 2, come on now buddy.

holy smokes! how refreshing to hear someone else say that.

agreed.

#88 Posted by Jacanuk (13694 posts) -

@Sam3231: Because the mods does not give a darn,

#94 Posted by ArchoNils2 (9865 posts) -

Can a mod please finally close this?!

Avatar image for omnifarious1990
#95 Posted by Omnifarious1990 (1 posts) -

The biggest problem with video games today is that they mostly lack competition, are generally too easy, and lack a substantive story line. When I say games lack competition what I mean is it's not like Halo 3 days where you had to work your ass off in playlists to achieve a level 50 ranking, and every-time you lose a game your rank drops. Halo 3 was like a rat race to achieve level 50 status, and once you got that level 50 you were hesitant to play anymore games in that playlist. You could be a level 50 in team slayer, and a level 1 in team snipers so even if you got that level 50, you still had more to do. To this day I still hear people occasionally brag about how they got a level 50 in MLG or Team Slayer on Halo 3 because it was that much of an achievement.

Games like Destiny 2 don't have that kind of competitive spirit where players actually want to win, and in Destiny 2 you could put like 1 bullet in an enemy's foot and if your teammate kills him, you also get credit for it. It's completely f*cking retarded, brought to you from people that liked getting participation trophy's. Destiny 2's story is also so horrid that you'll find yourself skipping cut scenes because you just don't care anymore. Enough about Destiny 2 though let me get more into why games today are so bad.

99% of modern games have no sense of achievement for completing the game, or even getting all the items, it's just a grind, you put in the time and you get everything you want it's not even hard, it's just time consuming. It feels more like work and less like a game. I like games like Dark Souls because when you have a really nice item it's usually correlated with a difficult boss that you beat. Everybody's like oh.. he has that item so he beat that boss, he must be good. on games like Destiny 2 this is not the case at all, everything is basically handed to players. To get good gear in Destiny 2 all that's required is having a team of people that know what they're doing, and meet the correct level requirements for whatever raid they're doing, and it literally serves no purpose to get that gear because PVP is watered down for little kids so they don't feel bad about being nubs.

I don't know what else to really say here except that games today are lacking in just about every single way possible, and I think the problem is because it's about money mostly. Games today are designed to be endlessly grindy, and easy to keep players from giving up so they will buy more DLC content.

P.S don't buy Destiny 2 they double dip on DLC and let people buy game currency for real money, pay to win in a way, except it's not because you could walk into PVP with level 1 gear and still get the most kills from team assists.

#96 Posted by TryIt (6591 posts) -

@omnifarious1990 said:

The biggest problem with video games today is that they mostly lack competition, are generally too easy, and lack a substantive story line. When I say games lack competition what I mean is it's not like Halo 3 days where you had to work your ass off in playlists to achieve a level 50 ranking, and every-time you lose a game your rank drops. Halo 3 was like a rat race to achieve level 50 status, and once you got that level 50 you were hesitant to play anymore games in that playlist. You could be a level 50 in team slayer, and a level 1 in team snipers so even if you got that level 50, you still had more to do. To this day I still hear people occasionally brag about how they got a level 50 in MLG or Team Slayer on Halo 3 because it was that much of an achievement.

Games like Destiny 2 don't have that kind of competitive spirit where players actually want to win, and in Destiny 2 you could put like 1 bullet in an enemy's foot and if your teammate kills him, you also get credit for it. It's completely f*cking retarded, brought to you from people that liked getting participation trophy's. Destiny 2's story is also so horrid that you'll find yourself skipping cut scenes because you just don't care anymore. Enough about Destiny 2 though let me get more into why games today are so bad.

99% of modern games have no sense of achievement for completing the game, or even getting all the items, it's just a grind, you put in the time and you get everything you want it's not even hard, it's just time consuming. It feels more like work and less like a game. I like games like Dark Souls because when you have a really nice item it's usually correlated with a difficult boss that you beat. Everybody's like oh.. he has that item so he beat that boss, he must be good. on games like Destiny 2 this is not the case at all, everything is basically handed to players. To get good gear in Destiny 2 all that's required is having a team of people that know what they're doing, and meet the correct level requirements for whatever raid they're doing, and it literally serves no purpose to get that gear because PVP is watered down for little kids so they don't feel bad about being nubs.

I don't know what else to really say here except that games today are lacking in just about every single way possible, and I think the problem is because it's about money mostly. Games today are designed to be endlessly grindy, and easy to keep players from giving up so they will buy more DLC content.

P.S don't buy Destiny 2 they double dip on DLC and let people buy game currency for real money, pay to win in a way, except it's not because you could walk into PVP with level 1 gear and still get the most kills from team assists.

completely disagree.

your just looking in the wrong area of gaming.

#97 Posted by neatfeatguy (4169 posts) -

If you're not finding games you're enjoying, you doing one of two things:

1) Expecting AAA games to fill your needs - I personally find most of these don't do me any good for getting value out of a game

2) You're ignoring indie titles - you'd be surprised how well some of these games play and the entertainment they provide.

But, if you just don't enjoy gaming anymore, look elsewhere to put your time. Clearly gaming isn't your thing anymore.

#98 Posted by DyanGZB (10 posts) -

I was thinking the same thing. I was feeling like I don't enjoy games as much as I used to. But sometimes it's necessary to try and remember -nostalgia aside- how games really were in the past. In the retro era, games were impossible to finish without a strategy guide. So you couldn't even play the game you paid for unless you had spent some extra bucks in something, doesn't that sound a bit like DLC? Games today have amazing details, orchestrated music, excellent controls, high-quality standards, incredible artists, great voice actors, etc. Gaming is the new Hollywood, I appreciate that. You just have to avoid the Call of Duty clones or any other game that bothers you and search for what you would enjoy. The indie community helped me a lot and I got to enjoy, for example, a game like Undertale as much as I enjoyed Chrono Trigger when I was little.

#99 Posted by TryIt (6591 posts) -

@dyangzb said:

I was thinking the same thing. I was feeling like I don't enjoy games as much as I used to. But sometimes it's necessary to try and remember -nostalgia aside- how games really were in the past. In the retro era, games were impossible to finish without a strategy guide. So you couldn't even play the game you paid for unless you had spent some extra bucks in something, doesn't that sound a bit like DLC? Games today have amazing details, orchestrated music, excellent controls, high-quality standards, incredible artists, great voice actors, etc. Gaming is the new Hollywood, I appreciate that. You just have to avoid the Call of Duty clones or any other game that bothers you and search for what you would enjoy. The indie community helped me a lot and I got to enjoy, for example, a game like Undertale as much as I enjoyed Chrono Trigger when I was little.

see I am just the opposite.

I think games I have been playing the past few years are the best I have ever experience by a long shot. Games like Space Engineers? Empyrion – Galactic Survival? subnautica? 7 Days to Die? i mean just to name a small number nothing as good as those games ever in the past, nothing even close.

I really dont understand why people dont see this

#100 Posted by jdc6305 (4866 posts) -

@AlexKidd5000 said:

My problem is that every game HAS to either be a god damn call of duty clone, or be online only (of multi player is tacked on, at the expense of the single player), like an MMO, or some other piece of shit. I can't believe how god awful the game industry has become. Not everyone wants to play games online with stupid assholes, and would rather just play alone offline. And DLC that rapes the hell out of your wallet, getting nickle and dimed at every turn. And some games requiring you to have a stupid mobile device in order to do certain things in games. **** video games, they will never be good again.

You know I was just looking through the games I have and was thinking the same thing. Half of the games I own on PS4 are mostly remasters like Resident Evil 4 or God of War 3 stuff like that. Other then Bloodborne MGS5 and Ratchet and Clank I don't have many next gen titles. I think the single player selection really does suck. I have money but there's nothing I want to buy. I haven't bought a game since March. I'm sick of games with rip off tactics. The next games I might buy are Neir or Horizon but I'm not sure if I'll even like them so I'm just waiting until they're dirt cheap. I've been playing Skyrim since September because nothing good came out this fall. I hate dlc and I hate multiplayer.