AlexKidd5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By AlexKidd5000
Member since 2005 • 3103 Posts

I have only played like...2 or 3 new games in the last 5 or 6 years. Video games SUCK now.

My problem is that every game HAS to either be a god damn call of duty clone, or be online only (of multi player is tacked on, at the expense of the single player), like an MMO, or some other piece of shit. I can't believe how god awful the game industry has become. Not everyone wants to play games online with stupid assholes, and would rather just play alone offline. And DLC that rapes the hell out of your wallet, getting nickle and dimed at every turn. And some games requiring you to have a stupid mobile device in order to do certain things in games. **** video games, they will never be good again.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#2  Edited By JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

It's getting to the point where people complaining about video games are becoming more annoying than the video games themselves. Yeah, it's a shitty state of affairs, but you're honestly preaching to the choir.

AlexKidd5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 AlexKidd5000
@JustPlainLucas said:

It's getting to the point where people complaining about video games are becoming more annoying than the video games themselves. Yeah, it's a shitty state of affairs, but you're honestly preaching to the choir.

And nothing is being done to fix these problems despite the complaints.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#4  Edited By JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

@AlexKidd5000 said:
@JustPlainLucas said:

There's always Nintendo. Hell, Toad's getting his very first game (I think) this Friday.

AlexKidd5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 AlexKidd5000
@JustPlainLucas said:

@AlexKidd5000 said:
@JustPlainLucas said:

There's always Nintendo. Hell, Toad's getting his very first game (I think) this Friday.

I think Nintendo is the industrys only saving grace nowdays.

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#6 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

Captain Toad is our Savior.

Toad is love. Toad is life.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

I am enjoying many of the games that have been coming out. Just not most indie games. I think we are getting flooded by indie games.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#8 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@AlexKidd5000 said:

I have only played like...2 or 3 new games in the last 5 or 6 years. Video games SUCK now.

My problem is that every game HAS to either be a god damn call of duty clone, or be online only (of multi player is tacked on, at the expense of the single player), like an MMO, or some other piece of shit. I can't believe how god awful the game industry has become. Not everyone wants to play games online with stupid assholes, and would rather just play alone offline. And DLC that rapes the hell out of your wallet, getting nickle and dimed at every turn. And some games requiring you to have a stupid mobile device in order to do certain things in games. **** video games, they will never be good again.

So you have played 2 or 3 new games the last few years.... Se that's where your problem lies

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#9 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14411 Posts

@AlexKidd5000 said:

Only a small minority of games being released today are COD clones or MMO's/online games. You're delusional.

MikeHockbourns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 MikeHockbourns
Member since 2014 • 754 Posts

@AlexKidd5000 said:

did you ever try The Last of Us? playing it right now for the first time on ps4, its fantastic. Also the Uncharted series is the cream of the crop nowadays. We also have Bloodborne coming out in 2015.

May I ask you what you game on? perhaps you just don't have the right platform for your needs. Sounds like you play on PC which is not the best platform for single player story driven games.

Avatar image for WolfgarTheQuiet
WolfgarTheQuiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By WolfgarTheQuiet
Member since 2010 • 483 Posts

@AlexKidd5000: Totally agree. For example look at this, new AC game and they have not even finished Unity yet. Man Great era of games ended with PS2 ( just using PS2 as time reference)

New AC game

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

If you play only AAA games then you have no reason to complain that every game is the same because you are choosing to play games that are all the same. With the lower price entry point for independent studios and crowdsourced games, there are actually a lot more unique games than there have been in the past. But if you choose to buy Call of Duty Advanced Warfare (aka COD 11!!!!) then you really don't have anyone to blame for the massive similarities in the games you play but yourself.

-Byshop

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 43998 Posts

Well I guess that sucks for you but personally I'm enjoying gaming now more then ever and I've been an avid gamer for 35+ years now. There's so many great games coming out these days that I can't even keep up with everything that I want to play. Some of most recent purchases have been:

• Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare
  • Halo: The Master Chief Collection
  • Bayonetta 2
  • Dragon Age: Inquisition
  • The Evil Within
  • Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Not too bad if I say so myself. There's a pretty decent selection of games right now but I am itching for some JRPGs to hit the current gen consoles.

Doozie78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By Doozie78
Member since 2014 • 1123 Posts

The only solution to this problem is to stop buying their garbage software. I've been trying to buy as little from these asshats as I possibly can, I do my part to not stuff the wallets of the xerox game corps.

I do buy games still, but rarely from major publishers.

AlexKidd5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By AlexKidd5000

@mikehockbourns said:

@AlexKidd5000 said:

did you ever try The Last of Us? playing it right now for the first time on ps4, its fantastic. Also the Uncharted series is the cream of the crop nowadays. We also have Bloodborne coming out in 2015.

May I ask you what you game on? perhaps you just don't have the right platform for your needs. Sounds like you play on PC which is not the best platform for single player story driven games.

I haven't gamed on consoles since 2003, just PC since then. I don't think consoles are worth it anymore (except maybe for nintendo). I care about openness, and freedom. And building my own game machines. And I don't like playing most games with a controller.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

@AlexKidd5000 said:

For starters, it's pretty damn ignorant to say that games suck when you admit to not playing them. That's like saying, "that musician's new album is crap, even though I've never heard it."

Secondly, you're just plain wrong. Not every game is a Call of Duty clone, or online only, or etc. Maybe you'd know how wrong you are if you played more games. Now, I'm not saying that you SHOULD play more games. If you don't want to, then fine. Not playing games results in ignorance of games, and there's nothing wrong with being ignorant of games. I'm just saying that if you are gonna be ignorant of games, stop making wrong-ass statements about them.

But I'm sure you're just deliberately trolling, so why am I even replying here?

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

It really isn't that hard to find hidden gems, you just gotta look.

What kind of games do you even play anyway ?

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10360 Posts

@Byshop said:

If you play only AAA games then you have no reason to complain that every game is the same because you are choosing to play games that are all the same.

he's choosing to play no games by the sound of it, yet still feels qualified to pass judgement

loafofgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 loafofgame
Member since 2013 • 1742 Posts
@Archangel3371 said:

Well I guess that sucks for you but personally I'm enjoying gaming now more then ever and I've been an avid gamer for 35+ years now. There's so many great games coming out these days that I can't even keep up with everything that I want to play.

This, apart from the 35+ years.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#20 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

Games are more diverse, now, than they have ever been.

DuaIFace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 DuaIFace
Member since 2009 • 581 Posts

OP not willing to step out of comfort zone when it comes to genres. Complains there's not enough games.

Get real.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#22 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

I don't have a problem with games I'm playing some very good games at the moment and I try to avoid all the bad games

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#23 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

If you only follow mainstream bro games then yeah, there's not much variety or quality available.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Lulu_Lulu

@Bigboi500

What a "Bro Games" exactly, I'm starting to think this term has no actual meaning, people just throw it around willy nilly.

Catalli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#25 Catalli  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 3453 Posts

That'll do pig, that'll do.

illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#26 illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@Bigboi500

What a "Bro Games" exactly, I'm starting to think this term has no actual meaning, people just throw it around willy nilly.

"Bro Games" is a negative connotation given to certain popular games: like sports, shooters or racing. The term has been (mostly) coined by fans of JRPGs or Nintendo games as a means to try convince themselves that playing such aesthetically tacky games is socially normal.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

@illmatic87 said:

"Bro Games" is a negative connotation given to certain popular games: like sports, shooters or racing. The term has been (mostly) coined by fans of JRPGs or Nintendo games as a means to try convince themselves that playing such aesthetically tacky games is socially normal.

Who gives a **** if a game is the "social norm" ? That just sounds like insecurity and immaturity to me.

Bro games are annual rehashes with little to no change in their yearly releases. The market is flooded with them and posters like the above get mad when others who demand more out of games point out that these young males think jocularity and pick-up-and-play mindless simplicity are all anyone needs in a game.

It's no wonder that the tc thinks games "suck" nowadays if those kinds of games are all he's familiar with.

Bro gamers tend to get irrationally upset when others don't worship their games and don't believe they're "all that matter" or "relevant". Dedicated gamers play them too, but also lots of other genres as well and realize there's more than getting up to level 130+ in Battlefield 4 by no-lifing it from sun up to sun down with "brahs" and play (and are aware of ) little else.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 The_Last_Ride

@Lulu_Lulu said:

It really isn't that hard to find hidden gems, you just gotta look.

What kind of games do you even play anyway ?

If Lulu is agreeing with us, even you should realize this

Old_Gooseberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#29  Edited By Old_Gooseberry
Member since 2002 • 3958 Posts

"I have only played like...2 or 3 new games in the last 5 or 6 years. Video games SUCK now."

I agree with some of what you said OP... but i think you need to branch out more and play more games. only 2-3 games in 6 years is like .01% of whats out there. And if you were only playing Call of duty type games, that there is your problem, these are scripted, linear, god awful games with a stupid storyline and A to B gameplay, and a gaming community filled with the scum of the earth and should be avoided.

I've played games pretty consistantly since the late 80s with pc and console games, and games are overall a lot better. But there are some gaps, i haven't played every game ever made, nobody has...

But i haven't played many games that i would consider instant classics as much now as i did maybe before.

So play more games, saying games suck after only playing 3 in the last 6 years proves you're not really into gaming anymore.

Theres so many games the majority like, but i don't... then theres some games not many like but I do like... so you have to take a few risks and try out some that you are interested in despite what their reviews get or what the majority say is good.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

@mikehockbourns: your more ignorant than the thread creator.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9384 Posts

eh there are so many games..... if you can't find a few you like then you're probably not trying hard enough. I find most of the hyped games nowadays to be trash but I still manage to play a lot of games.

AlexKidd5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 AlexKidd5000

@Old_Gooseberry said:

"I have only played like...2 or 3 new games in the last 5 or 6 years. Video games SUCK now."

I agree with some of what you said OP... but i think you need to branch out more and play more games. only 2-3 games in 6 years is like .01% of whats out there. And if you were only playing Call of duty type games, that there is your problem, these are scripted, linear, god awful games with a stupid storyline and A to B gameplay, and a gaming community filled with the scum of the earth and should be avoided.

I've played games pretty consistantly since the late 80s with pc and console games, and games are overall a lot better. But there are some gaps, i haven't played every game ever made, nobody has...

But i haven't played many games that i would consider instant classics as much now as i did maybe before.

So play more games, saying games suck after only playing 3 in the last 6 years proves you're not really into gaming anymore.

Theres so many games the majority like, but i don't... then theres some games not many like but I do like... so you have to take a few risks and try out some that you are interested in despite what their reviews get or what the majority say is good.

That was a bit of an exaggeration, it's more like 10 to 12 games, but still, yeah, not enough. And actually, half of the games I have played have been indie games. The BS that has happened in the game industry has put a bad taste in my mouth. But most games don't really hold my interest anymore. I like huge games, with deep story lines, and interesting characters. Mass Effect is a game like that, but there was something about the gameplay I didn't like, maybe it was the fact that it was a cover shooter, or the hud system was a bit over done.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#33  Edited By turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

If you do even a modicum of research beyond the most heavily advertised mainstream titles, you'll see how wrong you are TC. There are PLENTY of great games in all genres that are available to just about anybody. You just need to do some research of your own.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Lulu_Lulu

@illmatic87

I think its wrong.... That term should die.

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#35 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts

As I'll always say when this sort of topic pops up, you're either playing the wrong games or just growing tired of gaming. No matter how good games are now, they won't top whatever older games you like because of your nostalgic attachment to them. Saying you've played so few modern games in the past several years and hating on all more current games is also just ridiculous.

I won't deny there's some BS in today's gaming what with copious amounts of DLCs (some of which feel like they should be part of the main game) and in some cases micro-transaction, but for the vast majority of games, neither of those things are actually a problem if you're not dumb enough to buy into that sort of crap. So I don't know, lighten up I guess. Gaming is a wonderful hobby if you can learn to enjoy it by finding games you like to play. Otherwise, find something else to do.

waffleboy22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#36 waffleboy22
Member since 2013 • 305 Posts

I agree that games are getting a lot more generic, and that things are becoming about money rather than making a good game for some studios, but as I often say when people bring up topics like these, it isn't a reason to cast off games as a whole. there are still great titles being released and developed both by indie and big name developers, and while some studios may be doing poorly, there will always be good games around to play

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 The_Last_Ride

@SoNin360: He's playing the wrong games, he just said he played 2 or 3 games the last years

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

What is troubling is when a game gets a great review and you go out and buy it and think......"wtf".

Avatar image for notorious1234na
Notorious1234NA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Notorious1234NA
Member since 2014 • 1917 Posts

well no cuz c the history of RE says it all.

Games continue to get better not worse.

yeah yeah yeah RE not horror anymore, but don't pretend you actually like the stupid camera and stiff controls in RE 1-4.

sabretooth2066

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 sabretooth2066
Member since 2013 • 402 Posts

@Heirren said:

What is troubling is when a game gets a great review and you go out and buy it and think......"wtf".

its far more troubling when a game gets a shitty review like on....cough cough *GAMESPOT* cough cough......and then you play it yourself and find out the game is actually damn great and you ask yourself how many other games you missed because you didnt even tried them because of some pimplefaced four-eyed keyboard-wizard who gave a bad score

..not that i go after those stupid reviews, but still too many people do

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

@sabretooth2066 said:

@Heirren said:

its far more troubling when a game gets a shitty review like on....cough cough *GAMESPOT* cough cough......and then you play it yourself and find out the game is actually damn great and you ask yourself how many other games you missed because you didnt even tried them because of some pimplefaced four-eyed keyboard-wizard who gave a bad score

..not that i go after those stupid reviews, but still too many people do

I hear that but I wouldn't phrase it as such as one isn't putting money to waste. Kevin Vanord on this site does an alright job most of the time, but often misses key critical elements. I don't know if you watched the Captain Toad review but I had to stop watching it because not only was it bad but the reviewer seemed like it would be a good idea to spoil the whole game.

...Pilotwings Resort is a great game....got a 6. It makes me wonder how they even decide on the score. I know there is a scale but ****, Skyrim was BROKEN upon release and Kevin didn't even mention anything in that damn near perfect review.

I'm surprised a new website hasn't come about.

Avatar image for jasonredemption
jasonredemption

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 17

#43 jasonredemption
Member since 2010 • 691 Posts

Why come to a gaming website to talk about how much you hate what the rest of us all clearly like? Is it just the new "cool" thing to do, to hate everything? I wonder if there's any hope for humanity left anymore.

sabretooth2066

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 sabretooth2066
Member since 2013 • 402 Posts

@jasonredemption said:

Why come to a gaming website to talk about how much you hate what the rest of us all clearly like? Is it just the new "cool" thing to do, to hate everything? I wonder if there's any hope for humanity left anymore.

lol theres the truth spoken

thats the same for people who come in here to complain how bored they are with games today....as if they dont know what to do besides playing games

but i am probably a hater myself because i fu**in hhhhhhhate those damn haters!

dotWithShoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 dotWithShoes
Member since 2006 • 5596 Posts

@WolfgarTheQuiet said:

@AlexKidd5000: Totally agree. For example look at this, new AC game and they have not even finished Unity yet. Man Great era of games ended with PS2 ( just using PS2 as time reference)

New AC game

You probably imagine that Ubisoft started working on this as soon as Unity was released. Imagine this for a moment, it's been in development by another of Ubisoft's studios for 2 years?

BigCat2K20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#47 BigCat2K20
Member since 2004 • 426 Posts

@BranKetra: Good point. I'm getting a PS4 in the future. As for Wii U, I might get it sometime this month for there are few good games.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

@The_Last_Ride said:

@AlexKidd5000 said:

So you have played 2 or 3 new games the last few years.... Se that's where your problem lies

I have to agree with TLR, if you've only played a few games the last few years not only are you missing out on a lot of games you can possibly enjoy it also makes your whole opinion on the state of gaming null and void, so have a good day.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 The_Last_Ride

@Ballroompirate said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@AlexKidd5000 said:

I have to agree with TLR, if you've only played a few games the last few years not only are you missing out on a lot of games you can possibly enjoy it also makes your whole opinion on the state of gaming null and void, so have a good day.

I can not tell if he's trolling or just doesn't know that there are games out there.

nulld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 nulld
Member since 2014 • 27 Posts

I've been a game designer at a few different development studios, and the large publicly traded companies favor game concepts that are likely to be a wild success. A minimum bar of $100 million in predicted profits is not an uncommon requirement for a project. And, it's easier to get predictions of $100 million in sales when the game concept is similar to another game that sold that much. That's why there are so many sequels and copycats, and it's exactly the types of games in the original post: the Calls of Duty's, the MMOs, etc.It does sometimes seem that those are the only types of games out there, but that's just their marketing flooding everything. Those companies won't think twice about dropping down $20 mil for a marketing campaign.

But as folks have pointed out, there are plenty of innovative games out there for folks who are willing to search for them. There are tons of independent developers trying to do cool new things - myself included :)