Valve reveals Steam Controller - compatible with ALL Steam games

• 51 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

User Lists: 0

#1 UpInFlames
Member since 2004 • 13301 Posts

Check it out here.

I never would've guessed that Valve would innovate in this space. Not only that, but this looks pretty good.

Your thoughts?

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2 rragnaar
Member since 2005 • 27023 Posts
I'm all over it since I game from my couch most of the time.
Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#3 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69448 Posts

Looks like rubbish to me. 

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

That is one ugly controller and it seem to have few buttons.

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 UpInFlames

I'm all over it since I game from my couch most of the time.rragnaar

I've been planning to buy the 360 controller to use for some PC games for ages now, then I thought I'd get the Xbox One controller, but I think I'll be picking this one up. Seems like such a no-brainer, they really went all out with this thing. Assured compatibility for ALL past/present/future Steam games...wow. We're talking about a huge number of games in genres that have never even been attempted to work with a controller.

I really love how it's no gimmicks, 100% functionality. The only thing that's worrying me a bit are the trackpads, I can't really fathom how's that going to feel. I would really need to try it out before purchasing, but I doubt that's going to be possible.

It's f***ing ugly, though.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#6 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

I must test the trackpads myself before I can give a proper response about the Steam controller. I can say being able to use a gamepad for all Steam games is a good idea.

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 UpInFlames

wiouds

It has 16 buttons plus the trackpads and touchscreen are clickable, so it clearly offers much more options than any other controller.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Pedro

It has 16 buttons plus the trackpads and touchscreen are clickable, so it clearly offers much more options than any other controller.

UpInFlames

The X,Y,A,B button require you remove your thumb from the touch pad for use. Trackpads; at least for me, is the worst method of controlling anything mouse related. I don't see how this controller is somehow god sent.

Barujin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9 Barujin
Member since 2009 • 308 Posts

wiouds

Don't forget the haptic feedback. People will just have to read the announcement about that because I'm not explaining all of it. :P

[QUOTE="UpInFlames"]

Pedro

The X,Y,A,B button require you remove your thumb from the touch pad for use. Trackpads; at least for me, is the worst method of controlling anything mouse related. I don't see how this controller is somehow god sent.

Standard controllers require the user to move their right thumb to push buttons. This simply includes the left one, too. Valve explained it as being ambidextrous.

JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts
I think I'd rather just use a 360 controller.
rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 rragnaar
Member since 2005 • 27023 Posts

[QUOTE="wiouds"]

UpInFlames

The only comparable controller is the Dualshock 4 at this point.
CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

[QUOTE="wiouds"]

UpInFlames

The 16 count includes trackpads and touchscreen (based on my count of the buttons in the diagrams).
Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Pedro

I think I'd rather just use a 360 controller.JML897

Agreed. The only advantage this controller has is for Mouse and keyboard only games.

Barujin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Barujin

[QUOTE="UpInFlames"]

[QUOTE="wiouds"]

CarnageHeart

The 16 count includes trackpads and touchscreen (based on my count of the buttons in the diagrams).

Yeah, they said that the pads and screen are all clickable.

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 UpInFlames

[QUOTE="UpInFlames"]

Pedro

Who said it was a godsend?

I never tried any kind of trackpads, so I'm definitely worried about that.

Compatibility-wise, this thing is definitely impressive.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Pedro

Standard controllers require the user to move their right thumb to push buttons. This simply includes the left one, too. Valve explained it as being ambidextrous.

Barujin

Yes! However, I can easily access these buttons with one thumb versus two. If I have to use both thumbs to access these buttons it would require me to stop moving. I also don't see the advantage of trackpad over an analog stick especially for motion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19c359a3789
deactivated-5b19c359a3789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-5b19c359a3789
Member since 2002 • 7785 Posts

I already have a keyboard and mouse though.

Barujin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Barujin

[QUOTE="Barujin"]

Pedro

Yes! However, I can easily access these buttons with one thumb versus two. If I have to use both thumbs to access these buttons it would require me to stop moving. I also don't see the advantage of trackpad over an analog stick especially for motion.

Sadly, I must agree. Fortunately, the pads can be clicked like mouse buttons and there are two more buttons on the back of the controller. Maybe they can fill in for this problem, expecially with remapping the buttons.

ReddestSkies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ReddestSkies
Member since 2005 • 4087 Posts

I'm not sure what to think of it. On one hand, I hate trackpads with passion. On the other hand, thumb trackpads sound surprisingly adequate to replace a mouse, much more so than thumbsticks, at least on paper.

I guess that this thing's real test is gonna be how well it handles turn-based strategy games, point-and-click adventure games and other slow mouse-based genres. It's definitely going to suck for RTS, and you can already play FPS and almost every other genre with a traditional gamepad if you're not looking for performance. The Portal 2 example is stupid: that game plays just fine with a normal gamepad.

Areez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Areez
Member since 2002 • 6278 Posts

Check it out here.

I never would've guessed that Valve would innovate in this space. Not only that, but this looks pretty good.

Your thoughts?

UpInFlames

The obvious...This will be great for PC FPS. Not sure how it will translate to other genres though. I am really interested in hearing about early user experiences with the controller. We shall see how it all pans out....

GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#23 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts
That is an ugly, stupid ass controller to go with their recently announced useless console. As a a big steam fan all I can do is shake my head at their epic fail this week.
sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#24 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

That controller looks rubbish.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#25 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

Check it out here.

Your thoughts?

UpInFlames
It looks butt ugly but in the end all that matters is how it feels and acts when you have it in your hand. So can´t say anything yet, need to have it in my hands before making my judgement.
SupremeAC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26 SupremeAC
Member since 2003 • 7561 Posts

You know, if those circles are clickable trackpads, they can pretty much double as D-pads. Which means they can also emulate 4 face buttons.

I wonder how big the deadzone will be. A stick is easy, it springs back to the center when you let go of it. Your thumb can't miss it when it reconnects with the stick. What happens when you place your thumb on the trackpad, but farther towards the edge? Will your character just go from zero to full throttle like that? Seems like there's a large chance of mistakes happening that way.

One more thing: analogue sticks are convex.  These trackpads look to be flat or concave.  I'm not saying it'll be less ergonomic per definition, but it'll feel awkward at first, like how the first flatscreens looked hollow after years of looking at convex CRT's.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#27 S0lidSnake
Member since 2002 • 29001 Posts

This looks like the worst controller ever made. But i am willing to give it a shot. I have faith in Valve.

Also, why make this and not Half Life 3? WTF is up with this company?

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#28 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

I had envisioned something like this, with the touch pads in place of the analog sticks... but this is designed by a madman. The button placement is absurd. Playing a FPS on this would be torture. And is it just me or does it have digital triggers? Is it 1997 again?

Ravenous_Joker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Ravenous_Joker
Member since 2013 • 297 Posts
I am not a fan of it so far.
LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#30 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts

it could be good for it's specific purpose: replacing the kb/m in rooms where they're impractical. however, the biggest factor there will be how well the trackpads work and that's something that you can't really judge until you get your hands on it.

it's not for me though. the living room has always been console territory for me and i don't expect that to change soon. the only purpose i've been thinking of getting a pc controller for has been for pc games i prefer to control like console games and the steam pad doesn't seem to do that for me. i mean, say i wanted proper d-pad for super meat boy. track pads aren't going to cut it.

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Black_Knight_00
[QUOTE="S0lidSnake"]

This looks like the worst controller ever made. But i am willing to give it a shot. I have faith in Valve.

dvader654
They dont give a F any more.

Portal 2 aside I barely noticed Valve's existence this gen.
wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 wiouds

[QUOTE="dvader654"][QUOTE="S0lidSnake"]

Black_Knight_00

They dont give a F any more.

Portal 2 aside I barely noticed Valve's existence this gen.

Well there team fortress 2 which is a CoD with stripped down classes from battlefield 2.

Overall they have more incommon with walmart or gamestop than any game developer. As game developer goes they are at the bottom for me. I like EA, Campcom and Activision more than them but it seem that it is taboo to say anything bad about valve.

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Black_Knight_00
Well there team fortress 2 which is a CoD with stripped down classes from battlefield 2.

Overall they have more incommon with walmart or gamestop than any game devopler.

wiouds
Well, yeah and I'm sure multiplayer hounds were all over DotA 2 as well, but when I think Valve I expect quality single player.
wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 wiouds

[QUOTE="wiouds"]Well there team fortress 2 which is a CoD with stripped down classes from battlefield 2.

Overall they have more incommon with walmart or gamestop than any game devopler.

Black_Knight_00

Well, yeah and I'm sure multiplayer hounds were all over DotA 2 as well, but when I think Valve I expect quality single player.

When I think of valve I think of a rental shop with a rental agreement that favor them.

SteelAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 SteelAttack
Member since 2005 • 10520 Posts
Not bad, i'm interested enough to try it out. Provided it actually gets out of the states at some point.
SciFiCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 SciFiCat
Member since 2006 • 1750 Posts
As someone that plays most of my PC games on the HDTV in my living room using a 360 controller it feels this is a perfect fit for me. Not only that, I have also a wonderful companion to my 360 controller, program called Xpadder that allow me to "fool" PC games that have no gamepad support to function with the 360 no problem and it works like a charm for me. Seeing that this new controller does that out of the box and Steam will use an interface to customize even further the mapping of said controls is everything I could hope for. After reading some of the comments in the news section and some on this forum thread I can't believe the level of hostility directed at this controller. This controller could represent the next step in the evolution of game controller due to the use of advanced haptics that not only allow for features such as force feedback such as rumble like never experienced before, down to the simulation of textured surfaces and even the capacity to produce sound waves. Valve changed the face of FPS genre when Half-Life came out, (there is literally a before and after in the way other developers created FPS shooters from that point on) , it is the company that created and innovated in the implementation of a digital storefront that has revolutionized PC gaming in the last decade, now other companies are following in their footsteps. Why do people think that Valve is going to release a poorly produced, inaccurate controller, some even outright dismissing the design on looks alone, calling it "ugly" (right, who looks down at the controller while playing a game, I don't.) and saying it is "uncomfortable" or "it will not work". How the hell do these people would even know that? Have they held it in their hands, use it, saw how it functioned? No on all accounts. Save your judgement AFTER you have had a chance to actually test the controller and see how it works in RL scenarios instead, then if it doesn't work go ahead and talk trash about it all you want, until then please don't make foregone conclusions about it.
LongZhiZi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 LongZhiZi
Member since 2009 • 2453 Posts
http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/TommyRefenes/20130928/201219/My_time_with_the_Steam_Controller.phphttp://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/201195/Select_game_developers_used_the_Steam_Controller_Heres_what_they_said.php Very positive hands-on, especially from the Super Meat Boy dev. You guys can bash this controller all you want, but it looks like it could be far superior to anything we are currently used to.
ReddestSkies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 ReddestSkies

Why are they putting such focus on FPS. Traditional gamepads work just fine if you're not looking for precision. They need to focus on genres which suck hard with a traditional gamepa.d

Areez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Areez
Member since 2002 • 6278 Posts

As someone that plays most of my PC games on the HDTV in my living room using a 360 controller it feels this is a perfect fit for me. Not only that, I have also a wonderful companion to my 360 controller, program called Xpadder that allow me to "fool" PC games that have no gamepad support to function with the 360 no problem and it works like a charm for me. Seeing that this new controller does that out of the box and Steam will use an interface to customize even further the mapping of said controls is everything I could hope for. After reading some of the comments in the news section and some on this forum thread I can't believe the level of hostility directed at this controller. This controller could represent the next step in the evolution of game controller due to the use of advanced haptics that not only allow for features such as force feedback such as rumble like never experienced before, down to the simulation of textured surfaces and even the capacity to produce sound waves. Valve changed the face of FPS genre when Half-Life came out, (there is literally a before and after in the way other developers created FPS shooters from that point on) , it is the company that created and innovated in the implementation of a digital storefront that has revolutionized PC gaming in the last decade, now other companies are following in their footsteps. Why do people think that Valve is going to release a poorly produced, inaccurate controller, some even outright dismissing the design on looks alone, calling it "ugly" (right, who looks down at the controller while playing a game, I don't.) and saying it is "uncomfortable" or "it will not work". How the hell do these people would even know that? Have they held it in their hands, use it, saw how it functioned? No on all accounts. Save your judgement AFTER you have had a chance to actually test the controller and see how it works in RL scenarios instead, then if it doesn't work go ahead and talk trash about it all you want, until then please don't make foregone conclusions about it. SciFiCat

Are you really surprised by the level of hostility pointed at the Steam controller? The prevailing attitude here with new devices or services is this... " If I have no use for it, than it is garbage". Or if a console, peripheral or device, or service dares to innovate, it is garbage.  

I agree with your assertion that if the controller works well, that it could very well be the next evolution in controllers. And to your point, we should with hold judgement until we havd read up or have had first hand experience using it.

ReddestSkies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 ReddestSkies

[QUOTE="SciFiCat"]As someone that plays most of my PC games on the HDTV in my living room using a 360 controller it feels this is a perfect fit for me. Not only that, I have also a wonderful companion to my 360 controller, program called Xpadder that allow me to "fool" PC games that have no gamepad support to function with the 360 no problem and it works like a charm for me. Seeing that this new controller does that out of the box and Steam will use an interface to customize even further the mapping of said controls is everything I could hope for. After reading some of the comments in the news section and some on this forum thread I can't believe the level of hostility directed at this controller. This controller could represent the next step in the evolution of game controller due to the use of advanced haptics that not only allow for features such as force feedback such as rumble like never experienced before, down to the simulation of textured surfaces and even the capacity to produce sound waves. Valve changed the face of FPS genre when Half-Life came out, (there is literally a before and after in the way other developers created FPS shooters from that point on) , it is the company that created and innovated in the implementation of a digital storefront that has revolutionized PC gaming in the last decade, now other companies are following in their footsteps. Why do people think that Valve is going to release a poorly produced, inaccurate controller, some even outright dismissing the design on looks alone, calling it "ugly" (right, who looks down at the controller while playing a game, I don't.) and saying it is "uncomfortable" or "it will not work". How the hell do these people would even know that? Have they held it in their hands, use it, saw how it functioned? No on all accounts. Save your judgement AFTER you have had a chance to actually test the controller and see how it works in RL scenarios instead, then if it doesn't work go ahead and talk trash about it all you want, until then please don't make foregone conclusions about it. Areez

Are you really surprised by the level of hostility pointed at the Steam controller? The prevailing attitude here with new devices or services is this... " If I have no use for it, than it is garbage". Or if a console, peripheral or device, or service dares to innovate, it is garbage.  

I agree with your assertion that if the controller works well, that it could very well be the next evolution in controllers. And to your point, we should with hold judgement until we havd read up or have had first hand experience using it.

That attitude is so prevalent because, in part, every new gaming peripheral is presented "the next evolution in controllers".

Barujin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Barujin

[QUOTE="Areez"]

ReddestSkies

That attitude is so prevalent because, in part, every new gaming peripheral is presented "the next evolution in controllers".

Well, this time it's true. :D I don't think anyone has done this before and it might actually bridge the gap between PC and console controls, a seemingly impossible task.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 wiouds

[QUOTE="ReddestSkies"]

[QUOTE="Areez"]

Barujin

Well, this time it's true. :D I don't think anyone has done this before and it might actually bridge the gap between PC and console controls, a seemingly impossible task.

That does not mean that it will be any good. It seem like more are just saying it is ugly or that they are not impressed by it right now. I believe that some of tried and failed to get a system that works good for both.

Tqricardinho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Tqricardinho
Member since 2013 • 477 Posts

Looks fugly.

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Black_Knight_00
[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"][QUOTE="wiouds"]Well there team fortress 2 which is a CoD with stripped down classes from battlefield 2.

dvader654

They dont care about single player people.

Pretty much. It's not like we need them anyway.
LongZhiZi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 LongZhiZi
Member since 2009 • 2453 Posts
http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/28/steam-controller-dev-reactions/

Within five minutes of picking it up, I went from newbie to controlling an FPS camera better than I'd ever done with a gamepad.

Only positive impressions from people who have actually used the device.
Barujin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Barujin

[QUOTE="Barujin"]

[QUOTE="ReddestSkies"]

wiouds

That does not mean that it will be any good. It seem like more are just saying it is ugly or that they are not impressed by it right now. I believe that some of tried and failed to get a system that works good for both.

Actually, the comments from devs who have tried it are all very positive, as stated in this thread. Also, why does it matter if it's attractive? Besides, what defines a sexy contoller or an ugly one? :?

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 wiouds

[QUOTE="wiouds"]

[QUOTE="Barujin"]

Barujin

Actually, the comments from devs who have tried it are all very positive, as stated in this thread. Also, why does it matter if it's attractive? Besides, what defines a sexy contoller or an ugly one? :?

I am talking about the comments here. I would say those large black pits in it does make it look ugly. They look like uncare for speakers

Edited to added:

It is not the first time I heard the devs braging about a new item that does not work out as well.

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#50 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts
black is beautiful.