Used game rituals

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by BarbaricAvatar (982 posts) -

Being Legacy gamers, the majority of our purchases will be used games. I'm interested in what you do when you get your new-old titles home.

Do you stick them straight in the collection and take them as they are or just change the cases and then store them?

I probably go a bit over the top, but i like having a collection that looks new at least on the outside and i'm not a fan of other peoples bacteria:

1. Unbag/unwrap purchase and examine box. Decide whether to clean it or replace it.
  2. Remove box art, disc and manual then thoroughly clean outside and inside of box with an anti-bacterial wipe (Dettox).
  3. Dry with paper (kitchen) towels.
  4. Check box cover art for any white wear-marks on Playstation header and edges. Fill them in with a thin black marker.
  5. If bottom edge of cover has been exposed and is heavily marked/torn/disfigured, then remove 1-2mm from edge. This sounds extreme but makes a world of difference - just make sure you use a straight-edge to cut with!
  6. Flick manual pages in front of nose, inhale slowly. If smoke odour is present, bag-up manual and put in freezer for 1-2 days.
  7. Examine disc closely. If marks are visible then wipe down with Camera lens cleaning cloth.
  8. Put everything back in case and insert into collection.

Extreme, or normal? What do you do with your used purchases?

#2 Posted by JigglyWiggly_ (24599 posts) -
buy it throw it away anything used is disgusting
#3 Posted by rilpas (8161 posts) -
you go a bit over the top :P me, I just check the disc, case and manual for scuffs, scratches or tears
#4 Posted by Dudersaper (32951 posts) -
[QUOTE="rilpas"]you go a bit over the top :P me, I just check the disc, case and manual for scuffs, scratches or tears

This.
#5 Posted by Shenmue_Jehuty (5211 posts) -

When I buy a game, I usually check the condition out to make sure it's in good shape (I do this before buying if possible. After this, I usually test it out, sometimes for only a few minutes, and sometimes I get sucked in and play through most, if not all the game. After this, I clean the game by removing any stickers, tags, residue, and also wipe the game and/or case down with cleaning wipes. Then finally it goes on the shelf with the rest of my games :)

#6 Posted by CommanderShiro (21746 posts) -

Check for scratches, clean the case if necessary, and peel off stickers (if they're easy to pull off). 

#7 Posted by JML897 (33134 posts) -
Buy it Bring it home Put it in my console (this part's tricky because sometimes there's already a game in the console and then I would have to take that game out) Turn the console on
#8 Posted by jaypakavelya (270 posts) -

1) I remove all the sticker on the case with lighter fluid ( works very well )

2) check the disc and clean it with a soft cloth

3) check the disc under a bright light to see if there is any scratches on the label side of the disc and

4) check for cracks close to the hole in the center of the disc

5) test the disc in the console to be sure everything is working good

6) put the game on the shelf with the rest of the collection

#9 Posted by Dudersaper (32951 posts) -
btw, I noticed today since I bought some used games, is anybody else annoying when you buy a game with a case not of the same color of the original? Like if say, GTA Vice City is supposed to be in a blue case, but came in a black one, or the normal inlay in a grey platinium case, and stuff like that. Because my copy of Time Crisis II has ripped plastic, but I don't have any spare black cases (unless I use an unofficial one without the mem card holder) to replace it and it annoys me.
#10 Posted by Masenkoe (4897 posts) -

I don't think youre too extreme OP, just a little haha. I wouldn't fill in any white areas with black marker lol

I do disinfect old games though, who knows where that sh*t has been? 

#11 Posted by rilpas (8161 posts) -

btw, I noticed today since I bought some used games, is anybody else annoying when you buy a game with a case not of the same color of the original? Like if say, GTA Vice City is supposed to be in a blue case, but came in a black one, or the normal inlay in a grey platinium case, and stuff like that. Because my copy of Time Crisis II has ripped plastic, but I don't have any spare black cases (unless I use an unofficial one without the mem card holder) to replace it and it annoys me.Dudersaper
happened to me once or twice, I'm guessing either the gamestore or the seller switched cases with other game or some generic cases

#12 Posted by Primordialous (1313 posts) -

Buy it Bring it home Put it in my console (this part's tricky because sometimes there's already a game in the console and then I would have to take that game out) Turn the console onJML897

:o

#13 Posted by NodakJo2010 (1061 posts) -

Buy it...check for scratches or q-tip windex clean. (Depends...CD or Cartridge) CD based games have to have their original cases, but cartridge based games like the SNES I usually just place them right next to each other like books on a shelf. Except in a drawer lol.

#14 Posted by MercenaryMafia (2917 posts) -
I must have the original case and manual with any classic game I buy. I also check for cracks and/or scratches on the disc. I prefer not to buy games with the "classic hits" casing as well.
#15 Posted by lazyathew (3748 posts) -

I just check the condition of the case and disc and put it on the shelf. I also just don't buy games unless the condition is very good or like new.

btw, I noticed today since I bought some used games, is anybody else annoying when you buy a game with a case not of the same color of the original? Like if say, GTA Vice City is supposed to be in a blue case, but came in a black one, or the normal inlay in a grey platinium case, and stuff like that. Because my copy of Time Crisis II has ripped plastic, but I don't have any spare black cases (unless I use an unofficial one without the mem card holder) to replace it and it annoys me.Dudersaper
That happened to me once. It didn't bother me a whole lot. I bought Dead or Alive 4 for 360 and it came in a case for the original X-Box. Only difference is it's a slightly different shade of green, lol.

#16 Posted by BarbaricAvatar (982 posts) -

To a certain extent, yes. I don't like it when a Platinum game isn't in its proper silver case. I'm less concerned about the black/blue thing because i'd rather the game be in an unmarked black DVD case than in a scuffed/damaged blue one.

Also some games shipped with dark blue Playstation cases, and i'm not sure which ones are supposed to have this case. It might be the earlier games, the only one i know for sure is "Summoner 1" because i bought that new. "Half Life" still had the original stickers on the cover that's in a dark blue one as are "Pirates: Legend of Black Kat", "Sled Storm", "Smugglers Run 1" and "Dropship: United Peace Force".

Generally older titles, but i bought those all used so there's no guarantee they're the original covers.

-

I think i just like the idea of my games all looking new on the outside. :)

#17 Posted by Dudersaper (32951 posts) -
Yeah, some games come with black cases originally some with blue. I like to have them with the original colour case :P dunno why. It's not just the older ones though, God of War 2 comes in a black case, at least the European one does.
#18 Posted by BarbaricAvatar (982 posts) -

Yeah, some games come with black cases originally some with blue. I like to have them with the original colour case :P dunno why. It's not just the older ones though, God of War 2 comes in a black case, at least the European one does. Dudersaper

I meant there are black, silver, blue AND dark blue cases.

silvwhite.jpgblackblue.jpg

I didn't bother photographing a normal blue one. You should be able to see a difference between the two on the right. ;)

Apart from Summoner, i don't know which games originally came in dark blue cases.

#19 Posted by Los9090 (7288 posts) -
Love the hard work OP... I check for scratches and play the game for about 20 minutes to be totally sure.
#20 Posted by Dudersaper (32951 posts) -

Oh sorry, I read "dark blue" in your previous post as "dark black" for some reason :P

EDIT:

Just checked my games, never had realized I had games with those dark blue cases, I always saw those as black, but now that I paid attention, yeah, they are dark blue.

But the 2 that are dark blue that I have are Japanese imports.

CTRL + Q to Enable/Disable FBPhotoZoom  CTRL + Q to Enable/Disable GoPhoto.it  CTRL + Q to Enable/Disable FBPhotoZoom  CTRL + Q to Enable/Disable GoPhoto.it
#21 Posted by logicalfrank (1686 posts) -

I stick all my GBA games in the freezer so they don't age quite as fast. I have a copy of Minnish Cap that is effectively only four years old for this reason.

#22 Posted by dagreenfish (1818 posts) -
I basically just clean off all the stickers and marks and wipe down everything with disinfectant wipes. On carts I clean the connectors with q-tips and rubbing alcohol. On disc I wipe down with appropriate cloth.
#23 Posted by dark_orb (1505 posts) -

Being Legacy gamers, the majority of our purchases will be used games. I'm interested in what you do when you get your new-old titles home.

Do you stick them straight in the collection and take them as they are or just change the cases and then store them?

I probably go a bit over the top, but i like having a collection that looks new at least on the outside and i'm not a fan of other peoples bacteria:

1. Unbag/unwrap purchase and examine box. Decide whether to clean it or replace it.
  2. Remove box art, disc and manual then thoroughly clean outside and inside of box with an anti-bacterial wipe (Dettox).
  3. Dry with paper (kitchen) towels.
  4. Check box cover art for any white wear-marks on Playstation header and edges. Fill them in with a thin black marker.
  5. If bottom edge of cover has been exposed and is heavily marked/torn/disfigured, then remove 1-2mm from edge. This sounds extreme but makes a world of difference - just make sure you use a straight-edge to cut with!
  6. Flick manual pages in front of nose, inhale slowly. If smoke odour is present, bag-up manual and put in freezer for 1-2 days.
  7. Examine disc closely. If marks are visible then wipe down with Camera lens cleaning cloth.
  8. Put everything back in case and insert into collection.

Extreme, or normal? What do you do with your used purchases?

BarbaricAvatar

Sounds like you have a bit of a love affair going with your collection but as a fellow collector I respect that. Generally if something isn't in great condition I don't but it unless it's something I really want and is hard to come by. After I buy something used I clean the case with a wipe. After that I remove the box art and remove any stickers and/or traces of sticker goo. Replace box art and insert into collection.

#24 Posted by Blueresident87 (5655 posts) -

Buy it Bring it home Put it in my console (this part's tricky because sometimes there's already a game in the console and then I would have to take that game out) Turn the console onJML897

Perfectly said.

#25 Posted by Allicrombie (26207 posts) -
I try and avoid used games, bad experiences with scratches, busted cases, no manuals, etc.
#26 Posted by NirdBerd (2113 posts) -

Inspect, if disgusting, clean which involves wiping the plastic or buying a new case, never been unfortunate enough to get anything beyond that (1 of my used disc has marker on it but its just a few numbers and its very tiny so whatever I guess)