Upcoming Games Where Review Score Won't Matter?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for IMAHAPYHIPPO
#1 Edited by IMAHAPYHIPPO (3185 posts) -

Sure, we like to keep up with review scores... It helps us figure out if a game we're on the fence about might be worth buying. But are there games you don't care how unbelievably low they score, you know you're going to buy no matter what?

Right now, that game is South Park for me. Unless it starts getting into Big Rigs territory, I don't think there's all that much that could keep me from getting it on the 4th. What about you? What's a buy no matter what?

Avatar image for marcheegsr
#2 Posted by marcheegsr (3113 posts) -

Infamous SS, Watch dogs, The order, The Crew, Dragon age 3.. Pretty much don't care what score they get, still going to be a day 1 purchase

Avatar image for The_Last_Ride
#3 Posted by The_Last_Ride (76371 posts) -

Final Fantasy X HD, because i already played it and it's my favorite game ever tied with Mass Effect 2. . So i am going to get that no matter what. Dragon Age, The Crew, and Watch Dogs

Avatar image for platinumking320
#4 Posted by platinumking320 (668 posts) -

@The_Last_Ride: Smart choice on FFX. Technically everybody knows what they're getting. But yeah Stick of Truth and Watchdogs can do no wrong to me after those previews. After the way Matt and Trey have been pushing for their dream project to come out, you know it'll at least be decent. Plus whats the worst thing that can happen to a sandbox game? THe activity is sparse like Batman arkham origins or GTA4? After all the AssCreeds and Far Cry's Ubisoft hard to believe Ubisoft would drop the ball in that department.

Avatar image for The_Last_Ride
#5 Posted by The_Last_Ride (76371 posts) -

@platinumking320 said:

@The_Last_Ride: Smart choice on FFX. Technically everybody knows what they're getting. But yeah Stick of Truth and Watchdogs can do no wrong to me after those previews. After the way Matt and Trey have been pushing for their dream project to come out, you know it'll at least be decent. Plus whats the worst thing that can happen to a sandbox game? THe activity is sparse like Batman arkham origins or GTA4? After all the AssCreeds and Far Cry's Ubisoft hard to believe Ubisoft would drop the ball in that department.

I mean if FFX HD get's bad reviews i will wonder what the hell they are thinking. Because it's one of the finest games ever

Avatar image for stizzal13
#6 Posted by stizzal13 (609 posts) -

Honestly, no upcoming game fits that category for me. The only recent game that ever came close to that was LOZ: LBW.

Purchasing a game despite a low score makes about as much sense as buying a game solely based on the fact that it rec'd an 7/10, 85/100, 5/5, etc.

Avatar image for Tokeism
#7 Posted by Tokeism (2365 posts) -

I'll be getting these games no matter the score:

South Park: The Stick of Truth (pre-ordered PC version)

Star Citizen ($60 backer)

Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth (3ds)

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (PC version)

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth

Avatar image for ristactionjakso
#8 Posted by ristactionjakso (6118 posts) -

Lords of Shadow 2. I already know it's gonna be a fantastic game.

Avatar image for Bigboi500
#9 Edited by Bigboi500 (35550 posts) -

Review score have never mattered to me when it comes to purchases. I like to read reviews of games I'm interested in, but just for entertainment purposes mostly.

Avatar image for yokofox33
#10 Edited by yokofox33 (30774 posts) -

Pretty much every game I have pre-ordered right now: South Park, FFX/FFX-2, Infamous, Mario Golf, Kirby Triple Deluxe, Professor Layton, Tales of Symphonia, Destiny...

The only game where reviews and player opinions matter to me is Titanfall. Torn on the game since I didn't play the beta at all. It looks good, but I want to wait for the scores and player reactions.

Avatar image for SoNin360
#11 Posted by SoNin360 (6747 posts) -

I second South Park because it probably isn't going to receive great scores, but as a fan of the show I know I'll like it. I'll also say Infamous: Second Son for sure, though I don't expect many low scores for that game. But it doesn't matter to me as I doubt I'll be truly disappointed with the game.

Avatar image for ZZoMBiE13
#12 Posted by ZZoMBiE13 (22931 posts) -

Review scores are all but meaningless to me at this point. I know my tastes well enough to tell if a game is going to appeal to me. Unless there is a universally bad word of mouth on a game, like for example what happened with Aliens: Colonial Marines where it looked good at first but was busted when it shipped, then I don't really pay much attention to them these days.

About the only thing I do listen to review scores on is when a new indie game is being talked up by all the enthusiast sites. If I see the Giant Bomb guys going on about something or if a new game keeps getting brought up in the forums on the sites I visit, I'll check out reviews to get an idea of whether or not it might appeal to me. But I still don't defer to their judgement, it's just a means to gauge if I might dig it or not.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
#13 Posted by ShepardCommandr (4939 posts) -

They all matter to me now.

I don't ever want to my spend money on a piece of dog shit like lightning returns

Avatar image for Archangel3371
#14 Posted by Archangel3371 (23858 posts) -

Halo 5, Dragon Age 3, Mass Effect 4, Titanfall, and Destiny.

Avatar image for amalager
#15 Posted by amalager (121 posts) -

Personally, I'd like to get my hands on the games before I decide to buy them. At the moment, I'm just looking around the internet for upcoming games. I'm into MMO's and zombie survival games. On top of my list is Eclipse War--I'll try to join their CBT. For the zombie survival game, I'm still looking but the game Survive looks promising.

Going back to the topic, I used to buy all sorts of game mags before--lol I'm that old. But I find their review somewhat biased in a way.

Avatar image for mesomorphin
#16 Posted by Mesomorphin (903 posts) -

Plants VS zombies gardenwarfare. Aint nothing going to stop that game from selling like crazy

Avatar image for CountBleck12
#17 Posted by CountBleck12 (4740 posts) -

South Park: The Stick of Truth

Watch Dogs

Mario Kart 8

Super Smash Bros. 4

Avatar image for TwistedShade
#19 Edited by TwistedShade (3139 posts) -

Probably going to pick up Thief anyway. I Find it hard to trust reviews anymore after a ton of sites said Dead Rising 3, and Ryse weren't very good but I really enjoyed DR3 and beat Ryse 3 times.

I'll play it and make my own impressions.

Avatar image for DJ-Lafleur
#20 Edited by DJ-Lafleur (35549 posts) -

Eh, I just check Metacritic mostly out of curiosity, but also kind of to make sure some game I was interested in didn't get overwhelmingly negative reviews from critics and gamers alike.

generally though, gameplay footage/explanations, developer reputation, or series reputation (if talking sequel/prequel) are the biggest factors in whether I will want a game or not.

Avatar image for Pffrbt
#21 Posted by Pffrbt (6612 posts) -

Bayonetta 2, because I know any low scores it gets will be from people whining about the game having some level of difficulty and from people that don't get PlatinumGames' sense of humor.

Avatar image for sukraj
#22 Posted by sukraj (27501 posts) -

Wolfenstein New Order

Destiny

Sunset Overdrive

Halo 5

Avatar image for IncisionX
#23 Posted by IncisionX (200 posts) -

TitanFall and FF10 HD Remaster <3 :)

Avatar image for RageQuitter69
#24 Edited by RageQuitter69 (1366 posts) -

I'm with Bigboi500 on this, review scores don't matter for me anytime, anyway, if I had to pick one game, it would definitely be Watch Dogs, as that game is doomed to be the most underrated game of 2014 due to a combination of it's genre and the lack of the words 'Grand Theft Auto' on the cover.

Avatar image for platinumking320
#25 Edited by platinumking320 (668 posts) -

@The_Last_Ride said:

@platinumking320 said:

@The_Last_Ride: Smart choice on FFX. Technically everybody knows what they're getting. But yeah Stick of Truth and Watchdogs can do no wrong to me after those previews. After the way Matt and Trey have been pushing for their dream project to come out, you know it'll at least be decent. Plus whats the worst thing that can happen to a sandbox game? THe activity is sparse like Batman arkham origins or GTA4? After all the AssCreeds and Far Cry's Ubisoft hard to believe Ubisoft would drop the ball in that department.

I mean if FFX HD get's bad reviews i will wonder what the hell they are thinking. Because it's one of the finest games ever

Aint it the truth? Most recent games with pauseworthy endings TLOU, Bioshock, Spec Ops, Bastion, may have had their impact but I kept it internal. But the way FFX and Half-life's conclusions hit me...my mouth hung open both times.

Avatar image for bowchicka07
#26 Edited by bowchicka07 (1104 posts) -

Halo 5 and Destiny.....

I'm a halo fan so that one is a given.

And Destiny because Bungie has never let me down apart from reach a little bit.

Avatar image for Some-Mist
#27 Posted by Some-Mist (5631 posts) -

I never judge my purchases off of future/current review scores to be honest. I usually just watch a gameplay video to judge whether it's fun or not before I deem it purchasable. So basically all my most anticipated games will be bought regardless of review score

Broken Age Part 2 (already paid for)
Armikrog. (already paid for)
The Evil Within
Ithaka of the Clouds/Council of the Crows (already paid for)
Cuphead
Broforce
Bayonetta 2
Dark Souls 2

Avatar image for donmuath
#28 Posted by donmuath (64 posts) -

The witcher 3

PoE

DA:I

The third episode of the wolf among us.

Avatar image for The_Last_Ride
#29 Posted by The_Last_Ride (76371 posts) -

@platinumking320 said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@platinumking320 said:

@The_Last_Ride: Smart choice on FFX. Technically everybody knows what they're getting. But yeah Stick of Truth and Watchdogs can do no wrong to me after those previews. After the way Matt and Trey have been pushing for their dream project to come out, you know it'll at least be decent. Plus whats the worst thing that can happen to a sandbox game? THe activity is sparse like Batman arkham origins or GTA4? After all the AssCreeds and Far Cry's Ubisoft hard to believe Ubisoft would drop the ball in that department.

I mean if FFX HD get's bad reviews i will wonder what the hell they are thinking. Because it's one of the finest games ever

Aint it the truth? Most recent games with pauseworthy endings TLOU, Bioshock, Spec Ops, Bastion, may have had their impact but I kept it internal. But the way FFX and Half-life's conclusions hit me...my mouth hung open both times.

That's the only game that almost tore me up with tears aswell. That's the only time that has happend to me