Upcoming Games Where Review Score Won't Matter?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By IMAHAPYHIPPO
Member since 2004 • 4196 Posts

Sure, we like to keep up with review scores... It helps us figure out if a game we're on the fence about might be worth buying. But are there games you don't care how unbelievably low they score, you know you're going to buy no matter what?

Right now, that game is South Park for me. Unless it starts getting into Big Rigs territory, I don't think there's all that much that could keep me from getting it on the 4th. What about you? What's a buy no matter what?

marcheegsr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 marcheegsr
Member since 2004 • 3115 Posts

Infamous SS, Watch dogs, The order, The Crew, Dragon age 3.. Pretty much don't care what score they get, still going to be a day 1 purchase

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#3 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

Final Fantasy X HD, because i already played it and it's my favorite game ever tied with Mass Effect 2. . So i am going to get that no matter what. Dragon Age, The Crew, and Watch Dogs

Avatar image for platinumking320
platinumking320

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 platinumking320
Member since 2003 • 668 Posts

@The_Last_Ride: Smart choice on FFX. Technically everybody knows what they're getting. But yeah Stick of Truth and Watchdogs can do no wrong to me after those previews. After the way Matt and Trey have been pushing for their dream project to come out, you know it'll at least be decent. Plus whats the worst thing that can happen to a sandbox game? THe activity is sparse like Batman arkham origins or GTA4? After all the AssCreeds and Far Cry's Ubisoft hard to believe Ubisoft would drop the ball in that department.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 The_Last_Ride

@platinumking320 said:

@The_Last_Ride: Smart choice on FFX. Technically everybody knows what they're getting. But yeah Stick of Truth and Watchdogs can do no wrong to me after those previews. After the way Matt and Trey have been pushing for their dream project to come out, you know it'll at least be decent. Plus whats the worst thing that can happen to a sandbox game? THe activity is sparse like Batman arkham origins or GTA4? After all the AssCreeds and Far Cry's Ubisoft hard to believe Ubisoft would drop the ball in that department.

I mean if FFX HD get's bad reviews i will wonder what the hell they are thinking. Because it's one of the finest games ever

stizzal13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 stizzal13
Member since 2013 • 609 Posts

Honestly, no upcoming game fits that category for me. The only recent game that ever came close to that was LOZ: LBW.

Purchasing a game despite a low score makes about as much sense as buying a game solely based on the fact that it rec'd an 7/10, 85/100, 5/5, etc.

Tokeism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Tokeism
Member since 2006 • 2365 Posts

I'll be getting these games no matter the score:

South Park: The Stick of Truth (pre-ordered PC version)

Star Citizen ($60 backer)

Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth (3ds)

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (PC version)

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth

Avatar image for ristactionjakso
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#8 ristactionjakso
Member since 2011 • 6118 Posts

Lords of Shadow 2. I already know it's gonna be a fantastic game.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9  Edited By Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Review score have never mattered to me when it comes to purchases. I like to read reviews of games I'm interested in, but just for entertainment purposes mostly.

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#10  Edited By yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

Pretty much every game I have pre-ordered right now: South Park, FFX/FFX-2, Infamous, Mario Golf, Kirby Triple Deluxe, Professor Layton, Tales of Symphonia, Destiny...

The only game where reviews and player opinions matter to me is Titanfall. Torn on the game since I didn't play the beta at all. It looks good, but I want to wait for the scores and player reactions.

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#11 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts

I second South Park because it probably isn't going to receive great scores, but as a fan of the show I know I'll like it. I'll also say Infamous: Second Son for sure, though I don't expect many low scores for that game. But it doesn't matter to me as I doubt I'll be truly disappointed with the game.

ZZoMBiE13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#12 ZZoMBiE13
Member since 2002 • 22934 Posts

Review scores are all but meaningless to me at this point. I know my tastes well enough to tell if a game is going to appeal to me. Unless there is a universally bad word of mouth on a game, like for example what happened with Aliens: Colonial Marines where it looked good at first but was busted when it shipped, then I don't really pay much attention to them these days.

About the only thing I do listen to review scores on is when a new indie game is being talked up by all the enthusiast sites. If I see the Giant Bomb guys going on about something or if a new game keeps getting brought up in the forums on the sites I visit, I'll check out reviews to get an idea of whether or not it might appeal to me. But I still don't defer to their judgement, it's just a means to gauge if I might dig it or not.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

They all matter to me now.

I don't ever want to my spend money on a piece of dog shit like lightning returns

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44161 Posts

Halo 5, Dragon Age 3, Mass Effect 4, Titanfall, and Destiny.

amalager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15 amalager
Member since 2014 • 121 Posts

Personally, I'd like to get my hands on the games before I decide to buy them. At the moment, I'm just looking around the internet for upcoming games. I'm into MMO's and zombie survival games. On top of my list is Eclipse War--I'll try to join their CBT. For the zombie survival game, I'm still looking but the game Survive looks promising.

Going back to the topic, I used to buy all sorts of game mags before--lol I'm that old. But I find their review somewhat biased in a way.

Mesomorphin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#16 Mesomorphin
Member since 2013 • 903 Posts

Plants VS zombies gardenwarfare. Aint nothing going to stop that game from selling like crazy

CountBleck12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#17 CountBleck12
Member since 2012 • 4726 Posts

South Park: The Stick of Truth

Watch Dogs

Mario Kart 8

Super Smash Bros. 4

TwistedShade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By TwistedShade
Member since 2012 • 3139 Posts

Probably going to pick up Thief anyway. I Find it hard to trust reviews anymore after a ton of sites said Dead Rising 3, and Ryse weren't very good but I really enjoyed DR3 and beat Ryse 3 times.

I'll play it and make my own impressions.

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#20  Edited By DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

Eh, I just check Metacritic mostly out of curiosity, but also kind of to make sure some game I was interested in didn't get overwhelmingly negative reviews from critics and gamers alike.

generally though, gameplay footage/explanations, developer reputation, or series reputation (if talking sequel/prequel) are the biggest factors in whether I will want a game or not.

Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Pffrbt
Member since 2010 • 6612 Posts

Bayonetta 2, because I know any low scores it gets will be from people whining about the game having some level of difficulty and from people that don't get PlatinumGames' sense of humor.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#22 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

Wolfenstein New Order

Destiny

Sunset Overdrive

Halo 5

IncisionX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -3

#23 IncisionX
Member since 2004 • 208 Posts

TitanFall and FF10 HD Remaster <3 :)

RageQuitter69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#24  Edited By RageQuitter69
Member since 2012 • 1366 Posts

I'm with Bigboi500 on this, review scores don't matter for me anytime, anyway, if I had to pick one game, it would definitely be Watch Dogs, as that game is doomed to be the most underrated game of 2014 due to a combination of it's genre and the lack of the words 'Grand Theft Auto' on the cover.

Avatar image for platinumking320
platinumking320

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By platinumking320
Member since 2003 • 668 Posts

@The_Last_Ride said:

@platinumking320 said:

I mean if FFX HD get's bad reviews i will wonder what the hell they are thinking. Because it's one of the finest games ever

Aint it the truth? Most recent games with pauseworthy endings TLOU, Bioshock, Spec Ops, Bastion, may have had their impact but I kept it internal. But the way FFX and Half-life's conclusions hit me...my mouth hung open both times.

bowchicka07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#26  Edited By bowchicka07
Member since 2013 • 1104 Posts

Halo 5 and Destiny.....

I'm a halo fan so that one is a given.

And Destiny because Bungie has never let me down apart from reach a little bit.

Some-Mist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#27 Some-Mist
Member since 2009 • 5631 Posts

I never judge my purchases off of future/current review scores to be honest. I usually just watch a gameplay video to judge whether it's fun or not before I deem it purchasable. So basically all my most anticipated games will be bought regardless of review score

Broken Age Part 2 (already paid for)
Armikrog. (already paid for)
The Evil Within
Ithaka of the Clouds/Council of the Crows (already paid for)
Cuphead
Broforce
Bayonetta 2
Dark Souls 2

donmuath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#28 donmuath
Member since 2008 • 64 Posts

The witcher 3

PoE

DA:I

The third episode of the wolf among us.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 The_Last_Ride

@platinumking320 said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@platinumking320 said:

Aint it the truth? Most recent games with pauseworthy endings TLOU, Bioshock, Spec Ops, Bastion, may have had their impact but I kept it internal. But the way FFX and Half-life's conclusions hit me...my mouth hung open both times.

That's the only game that almost tore me up with tears aswell. That's the only time that has happend to me