Lembu90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Lembu90
Member since 2015 • 665 Posts

Less than a day I write this, Gamespot and some other gaming sites have revealed that Metal Gear Survive will require constant internet connection and microtransactions, pretty much everyone replied with disgust. While aren't many people interested on the game to begin with, it only decreases public's interest on the game even further. The game itself is only about a month away from being released but it already got many criticism from gamers and critics alike. Even without microtransaction and always-on DRM, the game itself just a generic open world survival that already flooded the recent market. Gamers can play a better similar game right now instead waiting for another month.

However Metal Gear Survive isn't the only upcoming games of this year that may not worth the wait. I already have several more games that will disappoint gamers and critics such as:

1. Final Fantasy VII Remake Episode 1

Yes you read it right, this game will be released in episodic format. While not the first Square-Enix game to have such format(Hitman) but nobody think putting such format to an RPG game is a good idea. Even if that wasn't its episodic format is the problem then its gameplay is. It already abandoned the turn-based for real-time hack-and-slash combat akin to FFXV and in fact it was built from the same engine as FFXV. Although SE already announced that FFVII Remake still have some turn-based mechanics, nobody seems to be convinced by them as there aren't many gameplay footage and other information released to the public yet.

2. Anthem

I already write about this game in previous thread and I'm quite excited to but the recent fiasco with Star Wars Battlefront II and having Electronic Art's name are major signs that Anthem will disappoint. In fact the game itself is a multiplayer-based, shared world which is a perfect recipe for microtransactions and loot boxes. There still too little information about this game other than some videos showcasing its combat and weather system. In other words in just a generic clone of Ubisoft's The Division and so it's best for me to let someone else to play the game for me.

3. Ancestors

Look no further than its developer's name Destructive Creation. Yes it is the same people and company that made Hatred almost 3 years ago. The game itself still sold to this day thanks for the press and online forums keep talking/trashing it for years. In fact it is the only way for right-wing gamers to legally financing the far-right groups by making video games. Resistance Records did similar effort in 2003 with Ethnic Cleansing but failed to get the attention and money they deserved due to lack of hype and exposure. This time DC try to spread their white supremacist propaganda by making an RTS game about Vikings. Even if propaganda is not the problem then the gameplay is. It just a generic RTS game with nothing special to it unless you count the "flanking" mechanic you probably don't use often in the game. Why bother pay 20-40 dollars for a white supremacist propaganda when you can download and play better RTS games in your smartphones and tablets. Heck, even Warcraft II is better than Ancestors in any way despite was released in 1996.

4. Yandere Simulator

While there aren't many info about this game outside its Youtube channel and Patreon page, some coverage it got from gaming sites and portals such as PCGamer, Kotaku, Polygon and Rock, Paper, Shotgun worries me. Mostly single-person project but it keep expanding due to backers' money continue to pours in. The "game" itself plays and looks like a mod for Illusion's Artificial Academy and people still fall for it. Maybe because the game's premises of playing as a mentally ill Japanese high school girl who wants to wipe out an entire school of fellow students by murdering one by one just she thinks they get in her way of her beloved upperclassman, which she will kill him too if there is no one left to satisfy her bloodlust. That is enough to make a similar game in term of violence, Hatred looks like an E-rated family-friendly game in comparison. It already in pre-alpha and alpha stages for several years and most likely to enter beta/early access stage somewhere in this year. After that the gaming news portals and sites have nothing better to do than gawking this game over and over again. Of course controversy sells and Hatred already proves us that.

Dishonorable mentions:

1. Monster Hunter World rather cosmetic DLCs

2. Final Fantasy Dissidia II

3. Lost Sphear

4. Legend of Mana Remake

WatchPUBG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2 WatchPUBG
Member since 2018 • 7 Posts

Can not wait for Final Fantasy VII Remake. I hope they do it justice :)

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#3 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

I'm scared for Anthem.

hopefully the SWBF2 debacle causes EA to rethink how much money grubbing they can pull off with it.

Lembu90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Lembu90

@watchpubg: Good luck on that. I hope you're not the first person to be disappointed with it.

soul_starter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 soul_starter
Member since 2013 • 1377 Posts

I pretty much agree with this list. I know Anthem will be micro transaction based, as are any games with increased online functionality.

My greatest disappointment was hearing FFVII remake would be episodic. The moment I heard that ,I think sometime last year, I shook my head and said rip off. I hope it fails.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

#6  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11664 Posts

@lembu90: Only game I'm concerned about is Resident Evil Remake 2.

We've seen nothing, the core-development team working on it has only handled Remasters. Rumors hint we're only getting one full campaign per character, rather the A&B scenarios.

Monster Hunter World rather cosmetic DLCs

That's not really the whole game though so does that have relevance towards your own thread? They're exactly what you stated, just a way to add none stat cosmetics, purpose of these are so you can wear something you like over armor with great stats. Yet, still keep the stat benefits.

We'll still get the free Event Quests; and the first is Deviljho.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46201 Posts

I honestly thought Ancestors looked whack from the start, I still liked its historical setting though.

I've been watching some BETA gameplay these past days though and it looks like absolute fun. The gameplay, both singleplayer and multiplayer matches, looks really good.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 TryIt
Member since 2017 • 13157 Posts

if you are looking for a game to play you are clearly not paying attention to what is going on in the AA gaming market

Lembu90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Lembu90

@tryit: It's not really about the market but rather about their content. For last year's example South Park: Fractured But Whole is technically an AAA game in terms of cost and marketing but it was strictly for South Park fans and a non-fan like myself find it mediocre at best. Charging 60 dollars for a glorified flash game is too much for me. However it still appeal to SP fans and sold to this day.

Back to the topic I believe FFVII Remake and Anthem will sell thanks to its marketing and hype that built up earlier but will be greeted bad reviews from disappointed consumers not long after they were released. Ancestors may have been a budget title like the studio's previous game Hatred but the reason I put it on the list because it an obvious white supremacist propaganda and the studio itself already have strong connections with Neo-Nazi groups all over Europe as revealed by Polygon and other gaming news portals. Why bother waiting for a white supremacist propaganda when you can buy Rome: Total War for 10 dollars right now and spend 100+ hours with it. It could be an awesome game for its intended audiences but a non-white person like myself will not. I believe I'm not the only one.

Yandere Simulator is different story altogether as there still no release date ever published but according to its developer(yes this is a studioless, one-man project) it will enter "a new stage" of development in this year(2018). So what is YS if you wondering? It is a brutal serial killer "simulator" in perspective of a Japanese high school girl with unhealthy obsession to her upperclassman to kill anyone, especially other teenage girls as brutal as possible. Technically it played quite similar to Manhunt than Hatred but it still far brutal than Manhunt in the level which Rockstar(Manhunt's developer) and Destructive Creation(Hatred and Ancestors' developer) never think of. So far some gaming sites like Gamespot, IGN and Gamesradar did a good job ignoring this game to this day but it already featured in some gaming portals like Kotaku, Polygon, Rock, Paper, Shotgun and PCGamer as well as non-gaming site like Vice. It also have steady funding from backers which its development already on track. Condemning this game and its creator is an already an uphill battle to begin with. I just hope Gamespot and other sites continue to ignore this "game" when it released to the public someday.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#10  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58272 Posts

What. The hell. Is Yandere Simulator

I just looked it up and jesus, it's terrible. But also...I see a lot of little details in there, like aesthetic stuff, that is kind of cool. Not enough to make it look remotely fun, mind you, but kind of cool

*OMFG and Destructive Creations, yeah, seem kind of bigoted. They have a game called IS Defense where you, you guessed it, defend against an ISIS invasion of Europe. I recommend going to their website and reading their "Team" section, it reads like it was written by angsty apathetic teenagers.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 TryIt
Member since 2017 • 13157 Posts

@lembu90 said:

@tryit: It's not really about the market....

sorry no, unless you have played a game like Subnautica or The Forest or Ark then you have absolutly no idea how RADICALLY different the AA indie market is compared to AAA.

its not subtle, its RADICALLY better. Like slap your momma wake you up at night with a heart attack radically different...and better

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

#12  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11664 Posts

@lembu90: I've played Yandere Simulator and even in its current state, saying it's more violent than Manhunt is misleading because it lacks the model quality to reflect that level of violence. Not to mention the immersion in the game is next to non existent.

However I will agree it's more creative and sadistic, because it breaks more conversions than Manhunt ever did. And this may be because it's trying to be more Hitman than Manhunt.

It's a fun little game and am looking forward to when it's more than a Alpha. Till then, better options are available.