Unwrapped/Gutted new games at Gamestop/EB

• 57 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for TheRaiderNation
TheRaiderNation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 TheRaiderNation
Member since 2007 • 1653 Posts
I don't know why, but one of the reason I hate shopping at EB games is there is always that chance I am going to pay full price for a new game and I get the classic "Last copy" where they put the disc in the open game case. I don't know why but it feels like its not a new game if I don't have to take of the classic shrinkwrap! Anyone else hate this too????
BobHipJames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 BobHipJames
Member since 2007 • 3126 Posts

You do know we have a shrinkwrapper right? Ask the sales rep or anybody in the store to go back and shrinkwrap it for you. It takes only a couple of minutes and you can return it within 7 days unopened.

Also, don't be afraid to buy used games...unless they're really hideous (which the sales rep should A. grab the best looking one and B. show you what it looks like) you can take them out and try them out for 7 days and return them for a full cash/credit/debit/other game refund.

We also have little clear plastic sleeves we can slip your game into if you want to be able to return it within seven days unopened.

PlasmaBeam44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3 PlasmaBeam44
Member since 2007 • 9052 Posts
The first couple times I shopped at a GameStop and saw them do that it kind of bothered me. But it really doesn't matter to me anymore because I want the game, not the case.
TheRaiderNation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 TheRaiderNation

Its just not the same if you aren't opening the game for the first time yourself

woogity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 woogity
Member since 2007 • 192 Posts
I hate when they do this, then the case is all scuffed up. Any collector knows that the value of something is much greater if it is still factory sealed. I also hate taking that stupid sticker off the case that leaves sticky marks.
TheRaiderNation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 TheRaiderNation

thanks i am not the only one!

summer_star17x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7 summer_star17x
Member since 2007 • 2683 Posts

I hate when they do this, then the case is all scuffed up. Any collector knows that the value of something is much greater if it is still factory sealed. I also hate taking that stupid sticker off the case that leaves sticky marks.woogity

omg i knowwww!! that pisses me off so bad.
i hate looking thru my collection and then looking at the big yellow sticker telling me how much i spent. its so ugly to look at and definitely not something i want to remember.

CJL182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 CJL182
Member since 2003 • 9233 Posts

You do know we have a shrinkwrapper right? Ask the sales rep or anybody in the store to go back and shrinkwrap it for you. It takes only a couple of minutes and you can return it within 7 days unopened.

Also, don't be afraid to buy used games...unless they're really hideous (which the sales rep should A. grab the best looking one and B. show you what it looks like) you can take them out and try them out for 7 days and return them for a full cash/credit/debit/other game refund.

We also have little clear plastic sleeves we can slip your game into if you want to be able to return it within seven days unopened.

BobHipJames

Isn't it company policy to shrinkwrap it before it leaves the store if it's the gutted copy? How else would you know if it's a "new" copy versus a used one. Anyway, I've never liked the gutted display copy system, but I can understand why they do it. I'm a collector, so I like all of my games mint. If they only have a gutted copy left, I'll wait for a new shipment or get it somewhere else. I've always wished that the warehouse would ship game covers that the stores could place into shelf displays so that games wouldn't have to be gutted. It's incredibly cheap to get those cases and print out the cover sheets isn't it? When the game's sold out, take the display case off the shelf until another shipment comes. When a game is old and doesn't need to be on the shelf anymore, switch out the cover with newer game covers.

TheRaiderNation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 TheRaiderNation

Well said! I agree with you, why don't they just send companies display cases; Toys'R'US actually does it that way

CJL182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 CJL182
Member since 2003 • 9233 Posts

Well said! I agree with you, why don't they just send companies display cases; Toys'R'US actually does it that way

TheRaiderNation

That's a great point, I totally forgot about that. Unfortunately, all of the local Toys R' Us stores closed down. I loved their random "buy 2 get 1 free" promotions. TRU is a much smaller game retailer than EB/GS too...

TheRaiderNation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 TheRaiderNation

"When they try to pass off opened games as new "because they were display copies". (Which is crap because I've heard of many employees taking games home overnight to play.) Every single time they are about to do this, I tell them no thanks and walk out." I read this in another post

I often wondered about this, I am sure this has happened before, I would not put it past them to actually take those games home and play them and then return them the next day

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts

If the game is a hard-find or if it looks good like new, I usually don't mind. But sometime, or should I admit, most of the time, the gutted new copies have a lot of smooges, fingerprint marks, uneraseable stains, and even some light scratches on it. I know it's never been used but that bothers me since it's full price.

One time at a Gamestop, they tried to sell me a new game without the book and the box for full price! I don't know if they do that anymore but that was wrong on all counts. Of course I didn't buy the game.

morph_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 morph_basic
Member since 2002 • 1672 Posts

"When they try to pass off opened games as new "because they were display copies". (Which is crap because I've heard of many employees taking games home overnight to play.) Every single time they are about to do this, I tell them no thanks and walk out." I read this in another post

I often wondered about this, I am sure this has happened before, I would not put it past them to actually take those games home and play them and then return them the next day

TheRaiderNation
My friend works at a Gamestop, and yes, they do take games home to play. I believe the policy (there) is something like, you can keep the game for up to 3 days before you get in trouble. The former manager was also infamous for buying any and all rare games (usually older PSX RPGs or something) that people traded in, not even letting them get onto the used shelves or bins. I heard he'd sell them on eBay...
FamiBox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 FamiBox
Member since 2007 • 5481 Posts
hmmmm well, 360 games have security seals on the side and are plastic film folded (not shrink wrap.) easy to tell if it's been opened or not.
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 LordAndrew
Member since 2005 • 7355 Posts

What I've started doing is asking for sealed copies of the new games I buy.

I was going to buy a Game Boy Advance game recently, but the only copy they had in stock was the display copy, which had three stickers on a worn-out box. So I ended up not buying it.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 LordAndrew

I know it's never been used but that bothers me since it's full price.ASK_Story

Actually, it could be used. Apparently, employees are allowed to try out the games and the game is still considered new.

If you're buying new games at EB or GameStop, you should ask for a factory-sealed copy. They shouldn't deny you that unless the display copy is the only one they have.

JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts
I saw a DS game (it was something I wasn't interested in) that they were selling for new, and it was in one of those generic GameStop cases. I lol'd.
Solori

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#18 Solori
Member since 2007 • 462 Posts

Yes. I hate this with a passion. I also believe that my Gamespot guts copies for the employees to play and then re-shrink wraps them and passes them off as non-gutted copies. That is why I hardly ever buy games at Gamespot. I only buy a new game there if it is priced at a price that I would be willing to pay for a used game. Because I consider gutted copies to be the same as used copies.

N8A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 N8A
Member since 2007 • 18602 Posts

I don't know why, but one of the reason I hate shopping at EB games is there is always that chance I am going to pay full price for a new game and I get the classic "Last copy" where they put the disc in the open game case. I don't know why but it feels like its not a new game if I don't have to take of the classic shrinkwrap! Anyone else hate this too????TheRaiderNation

When they give you the last copy...decline it.

TheRaiderNation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 TheRaiderNation
[QUOTE="TheRaiderNation"]

morph_basic

My friend works at a Gamestop, and yes, they do take games home to play. I believe the policy (there) is something like, you can keep the game for up to 3 days before you get in trouble. The former manager was also infamous for buying any and all rare games (usually older PSX RPGs or something) that people traded in, not even letting them get onto the used shelves or bins. I heard he'd sell them on eBay...

You know that really aggrevates me that goes on in that store, if they the gutted copies of the games home and playthem and bring them back the game is not new anymore. I always decline them but that is not right at all. If they do that to a game, it should be classified as a used game; I will not pay full price for a game that employees are taking home and playing

princesszelda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#21 princesszelda
Member since 2003 • 6869 Posts

What I've started doing is asking for sealed copies of the new games I buy.

I was going to buy a Game Boy Advance game recently, but the only copy they had in stock was the display copy, which had three stickers on a worn-out box. So I ended up not buying it.

LordAndrew

I do the exact same thing. I know it seems a bit petty but there is just something about unwrapping a brand new game and being the first person to play it. I wouldn't have a problem if there was some type of discount for all of the displayed games but to have to pay full price for a game that has a crappy box isn't cool to me.

DivineSword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 DivineSword  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 15840 Posts

I do the exact same thing. I know it seems a bit petty but there is just something about unwrapping a brand new game and being the first person to play it. I wouldn't have a problem if there was some type of discount for all of the displayed games but to have to pay full price for a game that has a crappy box isn't cool to me.

princesszelda

If this was the situation then I be glad to lay down my hard earned money for an unwrapped/gutted new games. I don't know if it just me but once the seal is off it isn't new to me anymore, no matter how much the employee say it's new. If I was to buy a new game then I want to be the first person to unwrapped it myself, rather than getting a gutted game with someone fingerprints all over it.

TheRaiderNation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 TheRaiderNation
[QUOTE="princesszelda"]

-DarthMaul-

If this was the situation then I be glad to lay down my hard earned money for an unwrapped/gutted new games. I don't know if it just me but once the seal is off it isn't new to me anymore, no matter how much the employee say it's new. If I was to buy a new game then I want to be the first person to unwrapped it myself, rather than getting a gutted game with someone fingerprints all over it.

Agreed!

fLaMbOaStiN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#24 fLaMbOaStiN
Member since 2008 • 687 Posts

I dont care at all, the case is going to be opened at one point.. As long as the case isnt torn or messed up in any way and the disc is clean.. I really dont see how anyone would care unless they plan on keeping the game sealed for some reason.. Or got OCD when it comes to games.

Apocalypse324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#25 Apocalypse324
Member since 2007 • 1486 Posts
[QUOTE="morph_basic"][QUOTE="TheRaiderNation"]

TheRaiderNation

You know that really aggrevates me that goes on in that store, if they the gutted copies of the games home and playthem and bring them back the game is not new anymore. I always decline them but that is not right at all. If they do that to a game, it should be classified as a used game; I will not pay full price for a game that employees are taking home and playing

I was just talking to a friend the other day who works at Gamestop, and he said that they are allowed to take the "NEW" game home and play it, so they know about the product they are selling.

Well to that I say, it should be the companies loss and should have to sell it as a used game, and that is the exact reason why I will not buy a game there unless it is some older game that is a used game for a decent price. The last time I went there to buy a new game, I was picking up Eternal Sonata, then next thing I know the guy gets the display case and puts the game in it and rings it up as a new copy. I then opened, looked at the disc, and more or less laughed because it was scuffed and I was thinking, is this douche bag really trying to pull this crap on me? We will just say I still dont own Eternal Sonata.

Avatar image for Canvas_Of_Flesh
Canvas_Of_Flesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Canvas_Of_Flesh
Member since 2007 • 4052 Posts
You wouldn't buy an opened condom. You wouldn't pay full price for a bag of Oreos that's been opened. Why do it for games?
TheRaiderNation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 TheRaiderNation
thats funny
TheRaiderNation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 TheRaiderNation
[QUOTE="TheRaiderNation"][QUOTE="morph_basic"][QUOTE="TheRaiderNation"]

Apocalypse324

I was just talking to a friend the other day who works at Gamestop, and he said that they are allowed to take the "NEW" game home and play it, so they know about the product they are selling.

Well to that I say, it should be the companies loss and should have to sell it as a used game, and that is the exact reason why I will not buy a game there unless it is some older game that is a used game for a decent price. The last time I went there to buy a new game, I was picking up Eternal Sonata, then next thing I know the guy gets the display case and puts the game in it and rings it up as a new copy. I then opened, looked at the disc, and more or less laughed because it was scuffed and I was thinking, is this douche bag really trying to pull this crap on me? We will just say I still dont own Eternal Sonata.

I think that is terrible that they would take the game home and pass it off as being new. I always suspectde this happened w/ the gutted games, but now it has been confirmed by a bunch of you! I honestly rarely shop there for games. The last time I went there I was going to buy Bioshock and they wanted to give me a gutted copy. I obviously told them no and the guy gave me a bunch of bull.

Avatar image for _Classic_Gamer_
_Classic_Gamer_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 _Classic_Gamer_
Member since 2007 • 4776 Posts

I don't know why, but one of the reason I hate shopping at EB games is there is always that chance I am going to pay full price for a new game and I get the classic "Last copy" where they put the disc in the open game case. I don't know why but it feels like its not a new game if I don't have to take of the classic shrinkwrap! Anyone else hate this too????TheRaiderNation

I am with you. I refuse to pay full price for a game that was opened and used as a demo copy. Once it's open the value is decreased significantly and you will get very low store credit if you trade it in. I bought a game once for a gift, brought it home, realized it was open because it was their "last" copy, and brought it back to them for a full refund. They didn't even ask any questions because they knew why I didn't want it.

Then I went to Best Buy down the street and bought the same game, unopened, for the same price.

Morons!

-DirtySanchez-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#30 -DirtySanchez-
Member since 2003 • 32760 Posts

i hate EB for the fact that almost ever game they have is allready open, i just hand it right back to them if they hand me a nonsealed case, im not talkin about nonwrapped i mean a case that doesnt have the lil tape bars on the top and/or side

the only way i buy from EB is if they are the only place i can find a game im lookin for ( pretty much anythin from atlus as i can never find them elsewhere)

if they do only have opened "new" copys of a game you want, make sure you inspect it right up by the counter before leavein or they can deny you a full cash back for returnin a open game, even if you just bought it a minute ago

Kuruption84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Kuruption84
Member since 2003 • 5354 Posts

Its just not the same if you aren't opening the game for the first time yourself

TheRaiderNation
:lol: Are you serious? How old are you? There's plenty of reasons to hate it, but that shouldn't be one. I personally don't mind. As long as I can check out the disc and it's pristine, who gives a ****
TheRaiderNation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 TheRaiderNation

Kuruption84

:lol: Are you serious? How old are you? There's plenty of reasons to hate it, but that shouldn't be one. I personally don't mind. As long as I can check out the disc and it's pristine, who gives a ****

If I wanted to purchase an opend copy of a game already that has likely left the store and played by their associates for a few days I would then purchase a used game

gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 gameguy6700
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts

I don't mind buying used/opened games...as long as I'm paying the used price. Gamestop/EBgames have a very hypocritical sales policy though. You open a game = its used. They open a game = its still new. And its not like these gutted copies are in great condition either. They tend to be very scratched up and in worse condition than what many used games look like. I mean, people on here sometimes complain about the safety of buying on ebay but from my experience ebay is actually a safer place to buy your used games than gamestop/EB. On ebay, as long as you're careful, you can get used games from 10 years ago in pristine condition whereas at GS/EB you'll probably end up with a month old game in mediocore condition.

If GS/EB would just sell their gutted copies as used and/or if they treated opened and unopened games the same when it comes to returns then I wouldn't care. But to claim that a game is still "new" after its been opened and "rented" by store employees for a week is completely fradulent.

Kuruption84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Kuruption84
[QUOTE="Kuruption84"][QUOTE="TheRaiderNation"]

TheRaiderNation

If I wanted to purchase an opend copy of a game already that has likely left the store and played by their associates for a few days I would then purchase a used game

That's not always the case, and what does it matter if the game disc is flawless? Honestly if you don't like it then don't shop there, it's pretty simple.
gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 gameguy6700
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts
[QUOTE="TheRaiderNation"][QUOTE="Kuruption84"][QUOTE="TheRaiderNation"]

Kuruption84

That's not always the case, and what does it matter if the game disc is flawless? Honestly if you don't like it then don't shop there, it's pretty simple.

"As long as I can check out the disc and its pristine, who gives a ****"
"...what does it matter if the game disc is flawless?"

Care to make your up mind? I'll help you out: a new disc is one that hasn't been taken out of the case yet. As a result it should have zero scratches, smudges, and other defects. Thus, if a disc is riddled with such problems then its not new anymore, at least if the seal on the case has been broken. Yet EB/GS insists that as long as they haven't sold the game to a consumer yet then its still new. Which is stupid considering that most of my used games are in better condition than most of their "new" games.

Ish_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Ish_basic
Member since 2002 • 5051 Posts

This policy has never bothered me, but when they can get 50 cardboard display boxes for "coming soon" titles, it makes me wonder why they can't keep one of those and use it for display purposes instead of having to slice open a brand new game. Certainly I would prefer a sealed box, but it's better than Best Buy selling opened consoles as new.

That employees take the games home and play them, then resell them as new does bother me, though. If Gamestop wants their employees to be aware of what they're selling, then they can send over an employee copy with the shipment, otherwise they need to sell these games as used, because that's what they are. Awhile ago (1995 or whatever it was) I remember buying FFIII for the SNES, brand new..I thought..brought it home and the employee hadn't even bothered to erase his game saves.

Kuruption84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Kuruption84
[QUOTE="Kuruption84"][QUOTE="TheRaiderNation"][QUOTE="Kuruption84"][QUOTE="TheRaiderNation"]

gameguy6700

Care to make your up mind? I'll help you out: a new disc is one that hasn't been taken out of the case yet. As a result it should have zero scratches, smudges, and other defects. Thus, if a disc is riddled with such problems then its not new anymore, at least if the seal on the case has been broken. Yet EB/GS insists that as long as they haven't sold the game to a consumer yet then its still new. Which is stupid considering that most of my used games are in better condition than most of their "new" games.

I really don't need you to clarify anything for me, but thanks. I guess you would rather them leave live product on the shelves, that would be a fantastic idea! Again don't like it, don't shop there.
TheRaiderNation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 TheRaiderNation
[QUOTE="gameguy6700"][QUOTE="Kuruption84"][QUOTE="TheRaiderNation"][QUOTE="Kuruption84"][QUOTE="TheRaiderNation"]

Kuruption84

I really don't need you to clarify anything for me, but thanks. I guess you would rather them leave live product on the shelves, that would be a fantastic idea! Again don't like it, don't shop there.

Whether I like the place or not isn't the issue here. Passing along used games as new is however

BobHipJames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 BobHipJames
[QUOTE="BobHipJames"]

CJL182

Isn't it company policy to shrinkwrap it before it leaves the store if it's the gutted copy? How else would you know if it's a "new" copy versus a used one. Anyway, I've never liked the gutted display copy system, but I can understand why they do it. I'm a collector, so I like all of my games mint. If they only have a gutted copy left, I'll wait for a new shipment or get it somewhere else. I've always wished that the warehouse would ship game covers that the stores could place into shelf displays so that games wouldn't have to be gutted. It's incredibly cheap to get those cases and print out the cover sheets isn't it? When the game's sold out, take the display case off the shelf until another shipment comes. When a game is old and doesn't need to be on the shelf anymore, switch out the cover with newer game covers.

Oh my god, of course it's not company policy to shrinkwrap every copy that's been gutted.

Have you ever seen a holiday rush before?

If you want to be anal, cool. Otherwise, ask the guy to shrinkwrap the occasional gutted copy and get over it.

We know what games are new because they're filed in the new section and because the game itself is in pristine condition....moreover, every new game case is labeled with a white sticker that says "NEW!!" on the front, side, and back and the sleeve that the game is put into is also labeled as "NEW!!" or "USED!!"

This isn't rocket science, buddy. Moreover, I've never sold anyone a new copy that was supposed to be new or vice versa.

If it looks used, bring it back. If it looks ugly, bring it back. They'll take it.

If you want it mint....laugh out loud. A game collector. You have to open the game to look at it, you have to open the game to play it. If you want mint conditions, shop online and get a factory sealed copy over Ebay for each of your games so you don't have to have a hissy fit every time you get a gutted copy handed to you.

BobHipJames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 BobHipJames

Whether I like the place or not isn't the issue here. Passing along used games as new is however

TheRaiderNation

Could we quit it with the misinformation, please? What you just said is not true. EB/GS does NOT sell used games new. I've never seen it happen, I've never heard it happen, it's corporate policy and store policy never to let it happen and if you EVER get a game that isn't brand new that's being sold as new, BRING IT BACK.

If you don't like the policy of gutting games (neither do I, more work for me), I've got an idea, don't shop there. Pick up your selective little heels and walk to another store.

Ask to see the disc. It's all you have to say. Say "lemme see the disc," then look at it, decide if you want it, make up your mind, and get the hell out, with or without game.

Most of the used games we take in look like total and utter butt. Please don't ever say something to the effect of "most of their used games look better than new," because clearly you've never looked at the bunch of craptacular titles piled up in a grocery bag I get to look at. They look like hell.

Find a new hobby or a new store.

BobHipJames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 BobHipJames
[QUOTE="-DarthMaul-"][QUOTE="princesszelda"]

TheRaiderNation

Agreed!

Here's what you do: ask the clerk to see the disc.

Like the disc? Buy it.

Don't like the disc? Don't buy it.

Don't cry about it.

BobHipJames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 BobHipJames
[QUOTE="princesszelda"]

-DarthMaul-

Oh, by the way, I get paid minimum wage.

Just thought you'd like to know.

BobHipJames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 BobHipJames

I don't mind buying used/opened games...as long as I'm paying the used price. Gamestop/EBgames have a very hypocritical sales policy though. You open a game = its used. They open a game = its still new. And its not like these gutted copies are in great condition either. They tend to be very scratched up and in worse condition than what many used games look like. I mean, people on here sometimes complain about the safety of buying on ebay but from my experience ebay is actually a safer place to buy your used games than gamestop/EB. On ebay, as long as you're careful, you can get used games from 10 years ago in pristine condition whereas at GS/EB you'll probably end up with a month old game in mediocore condition.

If GS/EB would just sell their gutted copies as used and/or if they treated opened and unopened games the same when it comes to returns then I wouldn't care. But to claim that a game is still "new" after its been opened and "rented" by store employees for a week is completely fradulent.

gameguy6700

Ask to see the game. Like it? Yes, no? Make a sales decision.

You don't have to walk out of the store with a game you don't like.

Period. /endthread.

I am absolutely appalled with this entire thread. It's totally insane. Asinine, even. If the game isn't factory sealed, and if it's against your anal principles to buy it that way, guess what, I've got an idea: DON'T BUY IT.

Don't like Gamestop's corporate policy? GO TO ANOTHER STORE. IT'S YOUR FAULT WE'RE THE LARGEST GAMES RETAILER IN THE WORLD.

Come to think of it, it's probably your fault I get paid minimum wage.

TheRaiderNation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 TheRaiderNation

I have had gamestop/EB employees tell me they they were allowed to take the gutted copy home for a few days to play the game/learn there product. I have also heard other people on here mention the same. If this is the case then chances are most of the gutted copies are indeed used not new

Gamestop/EB is a evil company trying to pass its dictatorship onto the gaming world. We are simplily the robin hoods of the gaming world who are standing up against this corrupt company and telling them we aren't going to take this policy anymore!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Joking, but the point is if you are a collector or just want an actual copy of a new game, its not a great buy. As far as choice, sure everyone has their choice where to shop for games and if you don't like the policy there then don't shop there. I understand that, but I am just stating I am not a fan of this practice and I wanted to see if others felt this way too

Foolio1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#46 Foolio1
Member since 2003 • 7467 Posts

I hate when they do this, then the case is all scuffed up. Any collector knows that the value of something is much greater if it is still factory sealed. I also hate taking that stupid sticker off the case that leaves sticky marks.woogity

Just ask them not to put it on. It just means you can't return it. I work at GameStop and if people ask me not to put it on I won't.

Avatar image for RenegadePatriot
RenegadePatriot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 RenegadePatriot
Member since 2007 • 20815 Posts
It did bother me as well when it happened to me once. In my opinion its like a used game since I know that the employees borrow/rent the games that have been opened. So they should sale it at a discounted price.
Solori

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#48 Solori
Member since 2007 • 462 Posts

BobHipJames

Could we quit it with the misinformation, please? What you just said is not true. EB/GS does NOT sell used games new. I've never seen it happen, I've never heard it happen, it's corporate policy and store policy never to let it happen and if you EVER get a game that isn't brand new that's being sold as new, BRING IT BACK.

If you don't like the policy of gutting games (neither do I, more work for me), I've got an idea, don't shop there. Pick up your selective little heels and walk to another store.

It is not misinformation. It is an established fact that EB/GS lets their employees play the games then bring them back to the store and sell them as new. So yes EB/GS does sell used games new.

The issue here is whether it is ethical for EB/GS to pretend that a game is new just because they never "sold" it. IMO it is highly unethical to sell a game as new that has been played by an employee.

Please note that posting 4 messages in a row saying the same thing over and over again does not add more weight to your arguments. We got the message: you are a minimum wage employee of EB/GS who has a very strong attachment to your company. And you believe that if people don't like EB/GS policies they should shop somewhere else. I agree, that is the way it should work. But first, people need to be given the truth about the EB/GS policies so that they know that they should be shopping somewhere else. Unfortunately there are a lot of people out there who are unaware that EB/GS sells used games as new. Threads like this help to give people info they need.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 LordAndrew

[QUOTE="woogity"]I hate when they do this, then the case is all scuffed up. Any collector knows that the value of something is much greater if it is still factory sealed. I also hate taking that stupid sticker off the case that leaves sticky marks.Foolio1

Just ask them not to put it on. It just means you can't return it. I work at GameStop and if people ask me not to put it on I won't.

I don't mind the sticker they put on when I buy it. I know how to remove those without leaving sticky residue.

But even if you ask them not to put that on, you still have the sticker that tells you the price. Those I can't remove without leaving a sticky residue.

And that's why (along with the fact that the game may actually be used) when I buy new games from EB Games now, I always ask for a factory sealed copy.

Ask to see the game. Like it? Yes, no? Make a sales decision.BobHipJames

I shouldn't have to ask to see the disk for a new game. I ask for a factory sealed copy. I've heard that it's company policy to give someone a sealed copy if they ask. Don't like it? Work somewhere else. See? It works both ways.

Morphic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Morphic
Member since 2003 • 4345 Posts
I used to feel the same way about used games. But considering I'm in college now, used games arent so bad. Save a lil money and get a good game. However I did get a bad experience at Gamestop with a used game. I bought Dead Rising, and everytime Id go to the grocery store the game would lock up and Id have to shut off system. They refunded me and gave me new copy since they didn't have any more used ones.