Unsporting Gaming. a problem.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

notoriousmatty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 notoriousmatty
Member since 2004 • 470 Posts
Why do these people find it fun to get one kill and hide in a place on the map obviously overlooked by devs. Case and point. HALO 3. Narrows people hide under the bridge, the pit people hide in their spawn room, snowbound people hide behind the gaurdian. Isnt the whole point of gaming is to have fun? What fun is this? Wow I ranked up my Halo 3 profile *pushed pen back into pocket protector* who are these nerds and when did gaming get so sketchy?
Inditra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#2 Inditra
Member since 2006 • 1653 Posts
Because whenever anything is fun a group of people have to ruin it for everyone.
rsiedelmann

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 rsiedelmann
Member since 2004 • 381 Posts
Those people are seeking the sense of accomplishment that life has so unfairly denied them. I doubt fun really factors into the equation for them.
Gribb85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 Gribb85
Member since 2003 • 466 Posts
Its because your playing a 360. If you played PC games you wouldn't have these problems. Its also the fact that Halo 3 is notoriously bad for attacting those sorts of players, try Call of Duty 4 or something like Flatout. Or better yet just play private games with your friends.
DarkCatalyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 DarkCatalyst
Member since 2002 • 20968 Posts

http://www.sirlin.net/

It'll change your life.

howlrunner13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6 howlrunner13
Member since 2005 • 4408 Posts

Its because your playing a 360. If you played PC games you wouldn't have these problems. Its also the fact that Halo 3 is notoriously bad for attacting those sorts of players, try Call of Duty 4 or something like Flatout. Or better yet just play private games with your friends.Gribb85

Did you just say PC games don't have those problems? :lol: You must not play games on the PC then.

Avatar image for AtomicTangerine
AtomicTangerine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 AtomicTangerine
Member since 2005 • 4413 Posts

[QUOTE="Gribb85"]Its because your playing a 360. If you played PC games you wouldn't have these problems. Its also the fact that Halo 3 is notoriously bad for attacting those sorts of players, try Call of Duty 4 or something like Flatout. Or better yet just play private games with your friends.howlrunner13

Did you just say PC games don't have those problems? :lol: You must not play games on the PC then.

Yeah, I guess all the cheaters on Counter-Strike don't count...

Actually, this is a case where you should hate the game and not the player. When they have a way to win, they're going to use it. It's not cheating, and trying to win doesn't mean you have your prioraties wrong. You talk almost as if you make no effort to win in Halo 3. I don't know about you, but if I get a killing spree, I don't care if it ruined your time or not.

DarkCatalyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 DarkCatalyst

Actually, this is a case where you should hate the game and not the player. When they have a way to win, they're going to use it. It's not cheating, and trying to win doesn't mean you have your prioraties wrong. You talk almost as if you make no effort to win in Halo 3. I don't know about you, but if I get a killing spree, I don't care if it ruined your time or not.AtomicTangerine

QFT.

It should also be noted that the act of winning itself is an inherently enjoyable one (at least for the person winning), and other players are never at all responsible for any enjoyment you get (or don't get) from a game.

OneWingedAngeI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 OneWingedAngeI
Member since 2003 • 9448 Posts
Its because your playing a 360. If you played PC games you wouldn't have these problems. Its also the fact that Halo 3 is notoriously bad for attacting those sorts of players, try Call of Duty 4 or something like Flatout. Or better yet just play private games with your friends.Gribb85

this is such a huge massive load of crap. pc elitists have blinders on. go play wow and look at the exploiters on there.
Gribb85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 Gribb85
Member since 2003 • 466 Posts
I made the comment as both a PC and 360 live fan but in my experience PC gaming in the UK at least seems a lot more civilised and fun. As with all things it depends on what servers you play on, what games you play, but in my experience CS:Source and team fortress 2 on the pc your a lot less likely to come across people who are just online to berate you. This isn't any sort of system bias or anything, just what I have experienced.
CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

Why do these people find it fun to get one kill and hide in a place on the map obviously overlooked by devs. Case and point. HALO 3. Narrows people hide under the bridge, the pit people hide in their spawn room, snowbound people hide behind the gaurdian. Isnt the whole point of gaming is to have fun? What fun is this? Wow I ranked up my Halo 3 profile *pushed pen back into pocket protector* who are these nerds and when did gaming get so sketchy?notoriousmatty

I agree that deadweight on team games (the guys who come out of a 30 minute game with zero kills) sucks. I don't really get mad at those types of players, but I honestly don't see why they play. I suppose some people might hide out in a room and feel a thrill of accomplishment when the team they are technically a part of happens to come out on top, but for me, the fun is had not in the winning or losing but in the playing. That isn't to say I don't try to win, but the 15 second victory screen or the infinitesimal change in my win/loss ratio isn't the reason I play.

Avatar image for ChicaQueenWarGa
ChicaQueenWarGa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#12 ChicaQueenWarGa
Member since 2006 • 3360 Posts
People want to get to the top and brag about being there. Those people will do anything to get there. They can hack, glitch, cheat, etc. That is just life. :/
MarcusAntonius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 MarcusAntonius
Member since 2004 • 15667 Posts

Its because your playing a 360. If you played PC games you wouldn't have these problems.Gribb85

Isn't cheap heat fun?

MarcusAntonius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 MarcusAntonius
Member since 2004 • 15667 Posts

There's isn't really anyway to avoid jerks online (on ANY platform)unless you're playing soley amongst those on your friends list. At the rate I was going with XBL, I was blacklisting at least two people per game.

DarkCatalyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 DarkCatalyst

Here's a news flash for everybody. Winning is fun. Here's another. Players aren't responsible for whether or not their opponents have fun. Whenever someone uses something overly effective, there are two kinds of players who react; the kind that will put serious effort into finding a way around it, and the kind that will put that otherwise-valuable time and energy into complaining.

Anyone want to guess which one will get the favorable results?

Now, there are times when there's no way around a tactic, but whatever happened to blaming the game and/or developers? Hell, that's why I've always been so rough on Mortal Kombat! MK2 was a game that ultimately featured one character with one nigh-unstoppable way of winning. You can't fault players for using a valuable tool like that - it was a popular game, so winning yielded good times (usually in the form of tournament prize money). Any decent player, rather than whining about the "cheap" tactics, just realized that the game was a turd after enough failed attempts to dethrone Mileena.

When you get down to it, the object of the game is to win. Even the packed-in instruction manuals, which offer almost nothing to good players, clarifies this as the developer's main intention. Of course there will still be haters - those who piss/moan/emo because it's somehow easier than solving a good tactic. I've seen it plenty of times, myself. I have a ton of negative feedback on Xbox Live to tell me I'm pretty damn good at Virtua Fighter, and I've had plenty of actual complaint messages from players who don't like my willingness to repetitively use what works against them. I simply tell them to come back when they know how to block - that if they're not going to block/punish Goh's 66K, I'm not going to stop using it (in a few cases it really was that simple!).

I just find it hilarious that there are actually people offended by other players' willingness to play to win.

F1_2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 F1_2004
Member since 2003 • 8009 Posts
Just because it's not fun for you doesn't mean it's not fun for them... some people might enjoy screwing with you. Enjoying yourself in a game comes first, making sure others enjoy themselves is more of an afterthought. Also, halo sucks.
FreyarHunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#17 FreyarHunter
Member since 2003 • 2098 Posts

I really think it comes down to sportsmanship. while I don't really care in the end if so-and-so wins, or how they did it (provided no exploit was used) I will say that the constant whining and trashtalking does get to the point where I just want to put my own gun-barrel in my mouth.

Example: I work at an Internet Cafe where I have a certain group of guys that play Counter-Strike: Source all the time. Every time they come in I know exactly what I'm going to hear from them as they use the VOIP stuff. A string of explitives, and always comments about body parts and acts that are done with them. I can't help but want to gag them, but seeing as how there's a bit of discrepancy in how to enforce it, it can't be enforced.

The bottom line is that sportsmanship, trashtalking, and whining all bring down the experience more than "winning" does. It's something that needs to get in check before everyone on Xbox Live, and the internets yell in unison to each individual smack**** to "shut the **** up already!"

DarkCatalyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 DarkCatalyst

I don't really care in the end if so-and-so wins, or how they did it (provided no exploit was used)FreyarHunter

Even exploits are okay on a case-by-case basis. Unless it's a situation like Mortal Kombat II where it seriously breaks the game, they should really be embraced.

The best example is Capcom vs SNK 2. Shortly after the game was released, Ohnuki Shin'ya discovered that if you executed a special move within the first few frames of a roll, that special move would take on the invincibility properties of that roll (meaning the animation of the special move cannot be hit by anything but a throw).

Capcom vs SNK 2 was suffering as it was. Sagat, Blanka, Honda, and maybe a couple others were dominating the game with a very defense-heavy, safe, slow approach. RoninChaos (Leigh Lamb, who used to post on the old GS boards) once criticized CvS2 by calling it "the only fighting game that rewards you for doing absolutely nothing."

The bug, dubbed "roll-cancelling", actually opened things up, giving the technically "safe" characters something to be afraid of - actual invincible attacks - in the face of their previously almost-invincible attack priority. To an extent, it solved the balancing problems CvS2 was suffering from, without either creating a new, more juiced-up top tier, or rendering once-good characters meaningless.

Just because something wasn't part of the original design plan, doesn't mean it should automatically be thrown out.

Avatar image for AtomicTangerine
AtomicTangerine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 AtomicTangerine
Member since 2005 • 4413 Posts

[QUOTE="FreyarHunter"]I don't really care in the end if so-and-so wins, or how they did it (provided no exploit was used)DarkCatalyst

Even exploits are okay on a case-by-case basis. Unless it's a situation like Mortal Kombat II where it seriously breaks the game, they should really be embraced.

The best example is Capcom vs SNK 2. Shortly after the game was released, Ohnuki Shin'ya discovered that if you executed a special move within the first few frames of a roll, that special move would take on the invincibility properties of that roll (meaning the animation of the special move cannot be hit by anything but a throw).

Capcom vs SNK 2 was suffering as it was. Sagat, Blanka, Honda, and maybe a couple others were dominating the game with a very defense-heavy, safe, slow approach. RoninChaos (Leigh Lamb, who used to post on the old GS boards) once criticized CvS2 by calling it "the only fighting game that rewards you for doing absolutely nothing."

The bug, dubbed "roll-cancelling", actually opened things up, giving the technically "safe" characters something to be afraid of - actual invincible attacks - in the face of their previously almost-invincible attack priority. To an extent, it solved the balancing problems CvS2 was suffering from, without either creating a new, more juiced-up top tier, or rendering once-good characters meaningless.

Just because something wasn't part of the original design plan, doesn't mean it should automatically be thrown out.

Yeah, but today a little technical oversight can be patched. That is one example where you should complain, but to the developer, not the guy using the glitch. Kinda like the weapon-slide in Gears of War that let you keep moving as you picked up guns- it was unintentional, but a patch was put out that eliminated it or at least decreased its effectivness. Even if they didn't though, everybody could do it, it didn't make you invincible, and was hardly game-breaking.