Unskippable cutscenes...why?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DynamiteRoll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 DynamiteRoll
Member since 2012 • 149 Posts

I don't understand the mindset behing developers who make their cutscenes unskippable. It just doesn't make sense. Even if, say, you're cutscene was produced by George Lucas and directed by Steven Spielberg with a script that would make a hardened war veteran cry, have they considered that players, at the very least, may have seen it before and want to just get on with the game? But also, many times I just don't care to watch them, and that opinion should also be respected, imo.

Take Nights, Journey of Dreams on the Wii. It's a great game, I'm enjoying it very much. And I appreciate that they tried to do a children's fantasy movie Disney kind of thing with the cutscenes. But I just don't care. I want to fly around with a purple harlequin, not listen to children gasp in amazement at how awesome the dream world is.

Anyone out there with any experience in game design want to shed light on why developers make unskippable cutscenes? If not, what are your least favorite unskipable cutscenes?

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

A lot of games now have loading times in their cutscenes. You can't skip them because the game is loading in content. Would you rather watch the cutscene or sit looking at a blank screen or loading bar?

XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts

A lot of games now have loading times in their cutscenes. You can't skip them because the game is loading in content. Would you rather watch the cutscene or sit looking at a blank screen or loading bar?

seanmcloughlin

Between a loading bar and an unskippable cutscene that requires watching to the end? A loading bar x 10.

I have an SSD on my PC for games, making even the slowest loading game to load in less than 5 seconds. Few things get me more annoyed than unskipable cutscenes or pointless "loading masks" that don't apply to PC gaming.

Mass Effect 1's stupid elevators were so annoying. By the time the elevators doors had opened, it could have already loaded the next level, but instead, im forced to wade through its entirety.

BlendThree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 BlendThree
Member since 2012 • 180 Posts

I despise being unable to skip cutscenes. Particularly those that do a lot of story setup to get the game underway. It destroys replay value (for me anyway).

10finalfantasy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#5 10finalfantasy
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

As much grief as Final Fantasy XIII-2 gets i think they did it right. Where the cut scenes are skippable but you get an achievement and in game items for listening to them that way first time around you wanna listen but then if you choose to play again you can skip. Hell, the game even allow you to skipp Quick time event iirc

Lucky_Krystal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 1

#6 Lucky_Krystal
Member since 2011 • 1390 Posts

Games that have a ton of replay value, especially ones that have multiple endings, but don't allow you to skip cutscense are annoying as hell. I mean, its not going to stop me from playing the game, but its an annoying inconvenience. Same to difficult games. The tortorous part of the game isn't even its difficulty, its the pain of having to sit through the same cutscense before the battle multiple times (I'm looking at you Devil Survivor 1 and 2).

Avatar image for almasdeathchild
almasdeathchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#7 almasdeathchild
Member since 2011 • 8922 Posts

id rather see a loading bar.

i hate having to die a couple times on a part and have to watch the same 5 minute cutscene over and over again

Ilovegames1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 Ilovegames1992
Member since 2010 • 14221 Posts

I hate games that do have skippable cutscenes but have some kind of long drawn out mini cut scene or just animation you have to go through to play a certain bit.

They usually happen to come before a big hard boss battle. So you have to watch them over and over again.

Venom_Raptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 124

#9 Venom_Raptor
Member since 2010 • 6959 Posts

While I think their should be an option for a cutscene to be skipped, I can't possibly understand anyone not wanting to watch a cutscene on a first playthrough just to get to the action. For example, character-driven cutscenes are what supports the fun factor in gameplay...

Sali217

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 Sali217
Member since 2012 • 1301 Posts
As someone who has accidently skipped important cut scenes by hitting the wrong button I kind of like them actually :/
Kravyn81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#11 Kravyn81
Member since 2005 • 9438 Posts

While I think their should be an option for a cutscene to be skipped, I can't possibly understand anyone not wanting to watch a cutscene on a first playthrough just to get to the action. For example, character-driven cutscenes are what supports the fun factor in gameplay...

Venom_Raptor

I can't either but my best-friend is a prime example of someone who all of a sudden develops ADD when it comes to cut scenes, especially in brand new games. It's annoying as f%#$ing hell because I like watching the cut scenes especially when it's a brand new game I've never played before. But my friend sits there and mashes on the button saying, "Yes, yes, yes, come on, let's go" through them. I tell him to chill but he gets all defensive and complains about just wanting to play the game. And then I tell him something along the lines of well I'd like to know what the hell is going on. It's annoying.

Although I do agree with the general sentiment that you should have the option to skip cut scenes. If it's a game I haven't played in a looong time I'll tend to watch them again and it won't bother me. But if it's a relatively new game I just beat then it can be a hassle.

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#12 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts
Hmm, can't think of many games off the top of my head that do this. I generally skip around cutscenes after playing the game the first time through, though sometimes I still watch some of them,
Avatar image for ristactionjakso
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#13 ristactionjakso
Member since 2011 • 6118 Posts

Yes they should all be skippable. They should also be able to be paused. I hate cutscenes that cannot be paused.

Amster_G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#14 Amster_G
Member since 2009 • 4329 Posts

A lot of games now have loading times in their cutscenes.seanmcloughlin

So Max Payne 3 has 5 - 10 minute loading scenes then. That's ridiculous...

Ilovegames1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Ilovegames1992

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

A lot of games now have loading times in their cutscenes.Amster_G

So Max Payne 3 has 5 - 10 minute loading scenes then. That's ridiculous...

You can't skip the initial minute or so if i remember rightly.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17676 Posts

If George Lucas came within a hundred miles of producing an unskippable cut scene, I'd kill myself.

Amster_G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#17 Amster_G
Member since 2009 • 4329 Posts

Ilovegames1992

There are definitely a handful of cutscenes that last over several minutes and aren't skippable. To me it automatically becomes one of the most frustrating games of all because you just know the game doesn't need that long to load. This is especially irritating when you're replaying the game.

burgeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#18 burgeg
Member since 2005 • 3599 Posts

[QUOTE="Ilovegames1992"]

Amster_G

There are definitely a handful of cutscenes that last over several minutes and aren't skippable. To me it automatically becomes one of the most frustrating games of all because you just know the game doesn't need that long to load. This is especially irritating when you're replaying the game.

Correction: It is ONLY irritating when you're replaying the game. I mean in a game like MP3, why the hell would you even want to skip the cutscenes the first time through? But yes, the game does get annoying when replaying and forcing you to watch a large amount of cutscenes you've already seen.

Gamefan1986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Gamefan1986
Member since 2005 • 1325 Posts

Well if anything it gives you extra incentive to not die/fail at the part you're stuck at.

Ilovegames1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Ilovegames1992

Max Payne's cutscenes are bauce anyway.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#21 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44617 Posts
I'm guessing sometimes cutscenes can't be skipped because they're utilizing very few system resources at the time, during which the next section of the game following the cutscene is loading while the cutscene is playing, other times of course it's probably just bad game design.