Trophies soon available for PS1 & PS2 Titles as well?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Justforvisit (2660 posts) -

According to this IGN Article, there's a new tech licensed by Sony that would allow to add Trophies to old PS1 & 2 games.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/03/21/are-trophies-coming-for-psone-and-ps2-classics?utm_campaign=twposts&utm_source=twitter

What do you think of this? Would you go back to your old games to play them for some trophies?

I could very well imagine myself doing so for Final Fantasy VII, VIII, IX or games like GTA San Andreas. Then again, on the other hand, it would put a serious hamper on the HD Collections for tha they already are PS2 Classics with enhanced trophy support is one of their biggest selling points in my opinion.

So, opinions, anyone?

#2 Posted by Quick-Time (610 posts) -
Wouldn't you have to buy them again?
#3 Posted by Floppy_Jim (25834 posts) -

Wouldn't you have to buy them again?Quick-Time

It says existing games can be remotely patched.

Cool feature I guess. It would be like PS3 pre-2009 though where some games would be patched for trophies and some wouldn't.

#4 Posted by LoG-Sacrament (20397 posts) -
i go back to older games all the time anyway. i don't need trophies for that. still, i can't say i'd be opposed to the addition if it put more attention on the games.
#5 Posted by dalger21 (1988 posts) -
That would be kind of cool to play games I normally play from back in the day and get trophies for them. Games like Castlevania:SotN, FFVI, FFVII, FFVIII, Suikoden 1 and 2, Chrono Cross, etc., would definitely entice me to play them again.
#6 Posted by JustPlainLucas (77981 posts) -

If I had the time to play old games again, I'd play them again because I have a craving to relive them, not to boost my trophy count.

#7 Posted by Yusuke420 (2770 posts) -

Just when I think I'd never have that tenth Legend of Dragoon playthrough >.>...

#8 Posted by Kornkaos (25 posts) -

According to this IGN Article, there's a new tech licensed by Sony that would allow to add Trophies to old PS1 & 2 games.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/03/21/are-trophies-coming-for-psone-and-ps2-classics?utm_campaign=twposts&utm_source=twitter

What do you think of this? Would you go back to your old games to play them for some trophies?

I could very well imagine myself doing so for Final Fantasy VII, VIII, IX or games like GTA San Andreas. Then again, on the other hand, it would put a serious hamper on the HD Collections for tha they already are PS2 Classics with enhanced trophy support is one of their biggest selling points in my opinion.

So, opinions, anyone?

Justforvisit

Might happen for some really high class games but I doubt a lot of developers will want to pay the cert. fee to patch the games... 

#9 Posted by IndianaPwns39 (5037 posts) -

I go back and play Symphony of the Night every so often anyway. I wouldn't mind getting some trophies for my favorite game.

#10 Posted by Archangel3371 (23330 posts) -
That would be pretty sweet. I'd certainly replay some old favourites of mine for some trophies.
#11 Posted by dagreenfish (1818 posts) -

That would be pretty lame.  I play games for the games, not to get a pat on the head like a trained monkey by developers.

#12 Posted by Yusuke420 (2770 posts) -

That would be pretty lame.  I play games for the games, not to get a pat on the head like a trained monkey by developers.

dagreenfish

Then do us all a favor and don't download the patch, problem solved. 

#13 Posted by dagreenfish (1818 posts) -

[QUOTE="dagreenfish"]

Yusuke420

Then do us all a favor and don't download the patch, problem solved. 

Well, as a favor to you, I suppose I won't.

#14 Posted by CarnageHeart (18316 posts) -

[QUOTE="Justforvisit"]

So, opinions, anyone?

Kornkaos

Might happen for some really high class games but I doubt a lot of developers will want to pay the cert. fee to patch the games...

According to the link with the new system, games don't have to be recertified. This might be the way Sony adds trophies to the currently trophyless PS Mobile.

I'm not a trophy guy myself (I play for fun, not to hit weird goals) but given that they enhance some people's enjoyment and give developers useful feedback (for example, if 1000 people buy a game, but 900 people stop playing after the 3rd boss, there is a problem with that section of the game that needs to be looked into) I'm fine with them.