Traveling With Handhelds

This topic is locked from further discussion.

dchan01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 dchan01
Member since 2002 • 2768 Posts

I recently went on a 3 month adventure in Australia and New Zealand. I have both a PSP and a DS and debated long and hard before opting to bring my DS along for the ride. The main reason for doing so were:

A) The DS Lite was smaller and easier to carry. (with the case I have)
B) DS is cheaper to replace if it were lost, damaged, or stolen.
C) DS could double as my alarm clock on my trip.

The one major drawback to bringing my DS was that the AC adapter does not support the voltage in OZ and NZ while the PSP does. I thought this would be easily remedied with a voltage converter. Boy was I wrong. There are lots of variables to consider in voltage conversion. You might convert to the proper voltage but the improper amperage or you might end up getting a dud if you go for the cheapest deal. I ended up unable to charge my DS once while I was on my trip. Although an EB employee opened up a new DS Lite and we successfuly proved that an Australian AC adapter will charge a US DS Lite, I was unable to purchase a replacement AC Adapter because Nintendo has not deemed the OZ/NZ market large enough to sell replacements. This was frustrating as it meant I would need to buy a whole new DS Lite in OZ in order to charge my existing DS Lite. I opted not to do this. To my DS's credit, it did last the entire 3 months on a half a charge working solely as my alarm clock. So please learn from my mistake. Figure out how you are going to charge your DS before you go traveling. I've heard that there are USB chargers available for the DS that would allow you to charge your DS via a laptop or hostel/internet cafe computer. This would likely be the ideal solution as you will find USB ports in any country you travel to.

SupremeAC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#2 SupremeAC
Member since 2003 • 7561 Posts
I recently travelled to the states, so living in Europe I faced similar problems.  You shouldn't be all too neurotic about voltage transfo's though, I've used them before and it works a charm.  I didn't get to play much DS either however since I managed to bring my GBA Micro charger with me instead of my DS one  :(  Damn things look so alike.