Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

User Lists: 0

Edited By Spazzh20
Member since 2010 • 74 Posts

Top Ten First Person Shooter Games

The following is a list of my personal top ten FPS games. Just to be clear this list is based on how much I personally enjoyed these games not how high I score them.

Also there are some rules. First off only 1 game per franchise. As much as I love Call Of Duty if I allowed more than 1 COD game on here this list would be full of them.

Second. As big a fan I am of the genre I haven’t played every FPS game ever so here are some popular ones that I haven’t played

Half-Life

Half-Life 2

Metro 2033

Metro Last Light

Perfect Dark ( I played the Multiplayer but I never got to play the singleplayer due to me not having a N64 expansion pack I didn’t get the Expansion pack until I lost my copy of the game)

Left 4 Dead

Left 4 Dead 2

Portal 2

GTA 5 First Person Mode.

Quake2

Halo Combat Evolved

Overwatch

Counter Strike

PUBG

Deus Ex

Titanfall

Titanfall 2

And Prey 2006

#10. SIngularity

One of RavenSoftware’s best; Singularity is an incredibly fun game that harkens back to the days of yesteryear. When it first came out it was heavily criticized for being a blatant rip off of Bioshock and Half-Life.

To that I say so what If your going to rip someone off then rip off the best.

It didn’t even sell a million copies when it came out because of poor marketing. If there is one game that needs a sequel/reboot it’s this one.

#9 Halo 2

My favorite Halo game. I remember back in 2004 when I was 11 years old and my friend invited me to his house to play this game all night.

The campaign was fun, but playing it with 2 people made it amazing. THis was when the franchise was at its peak. An innovative game with tons of replay value.

#8. Farcry 3:Blood Dragon

One of my favorite expansion packs ever; Far cry 3:Blood Dragon has everything fans of 1980’s action movies and Sci-Fci FPS fan could ask for.

#7. Timesplitters 2

The pinnacle of the franchise; Timesplitters 2 was fantastic. It’s such a shame that not many people talk about this game anymore; because whenever I do bring it up I’ve never met anyone who doesn’t like it.

#6 Bioshock Infinite

One of the defining games of the 7th Generation Bioshock infinite was a masterpiece.

#5 Star Wars Battlefront 2 (2005)

Not to be confused with 2017’s abomination

2005’s Star wars battlefront 2 is my favorite Star Wars game ever.

Though I played the majority of the game in 3rd person it is still technically an FPS.

#4 007 Goldeneye N64

I remember spending hours at my friends house when I was 6 years old playing this game. The amount of options in this game were just insane; the Single Player was so much fun, and showcased how to adapt a movie into a video game. The multiplayer had me sneaking out of my house to run over to my friends to have a 4 player gaming party. Some may criticize the game for its aged controls, but they never bothered me.

#3 Metroid Prime Trilogy.

I know I’m technically Cheating since this is a compilation of 3 games, but hey this is my list I can do whatever I want.

MEtroid Prime Trilogy is bursting with content. So much so I’m surprised the developers managed to fit it on the disc. You get three kickass games 2 of which have improved controls from their original Gamecube releases.

#2 Killzone 3

A modern masterpiece; Killzone 3 is one of the best action shooters ever made. It’s no wonder Destructoid gave it a perfect 10 out of 10 score when it came out. The multiplayer has so much to unlock that even after 7 years it’s still being played to this day. If you own a PS3 or PS4 this game is a must have.

Before I get to number 1 here are some honorable mentions from my personal favorites.

Soldier Of Fortune

Section 8 Prejudice

Quake

DOOM 2016

007 Nightfire

007 The World Is Not Enough (N64 Version)

#1 Call Of Duty Modern Warfare Remastered.

My all time favorite FPS game from one of my favorite developers, Ravensoftware; This genre defying masterpiece truly stood the test of time when it was remastered nearly 10 years later.

I already wrote a review explaining why this game is so amazing you can find it here.

henrythefifth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#1 henrythefifth
Member since 2016 • 2502 Posts

Nice list, and good reasoning. Heres my hastily written list:

Quake 2

Half Life

Killzone 3

Resistance 3

Halo 2

Gears of war 2

Deus Ex MD (i always play thru it as a tank, preferring shooting to stealth!)

OP Flashpoint

Fallout 3

Metro duo

Not is any special order. I gotta think before submittinga final list.

Jackamomo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Jackamomo
Member since 2017 • 2157 Posts

@Spazzh20: That's an interesting list.

I wish you'd posted screenshots though because I don't know or can't remember exactly what those games look like.

Ravensoft did Hexen didn't they? Singularity looks cool. I left Bioshock off my list by accident. I wonder if Skaven would make your list if you played it. I still haven't but would like to.

PS. Is Star Wars an fps?

Also, you forgot to include the link to your CoD review.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#3 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

Don't much agree with the list, but it's good to see Singularity get some love.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11655 Posts

Probably don't have ten for Single Player FPS, usually I value the Arena FPS scene.

I find SP First Person Shooters for the most part overly generic, cumbersome, and poorly designed. Few I would ever go out my way to recommend. id Software knew how to make a FPS before D00M III happened/ and all the linear hallway bland shooters that spawned similar concepts. Those teams just didn't understand why games like D00M and Wolfenstein used spacious labyrinth maps. And then we have a ton of openworld stealth FPS games that for the most part are cinematic garbage focused on abilities with poorly functioning timers.

But back onto OPs list. Bioshock, the original is pretty great, never played the other two. Metroid Prime (first one) is excellent, I put it in the same league as Bioshock and D00M. Prime 2 had tedious systems, and P3 went so far to appease motion control enthusiasts it was annoying.

I do also like the S.T.A.L.K.E.R series, they're horrendously optimised but so well designed that it's easy to overlook its technical failings.

A newer game called Dusk has been heavily recommend to me. And plan checking it out early next year. Seems like a Quake II, original D00M hybrid.

Spazzh20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#5  Edited By Spazzh20
Member since 2010 • 74 Posts

@jackamomo: https://www.gamespot.com/call-of-duty-4-modern-warfare/user-reviews/2200-12776912/ here it is.

Shantmaster_K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#6  Edited By Shantmaster_K
Member since 2008 • 1790 Posts

1. Halo 3

2. Halo 2

3. Call of Duty: World at War

4. Call of Duty 2

5. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare

6. Titanfall

7. Battlefield 1

8. Call of Duty

9. Titanfall 2

10. Perfect Dark (N64)

Jackamomo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Jackamomo

@Black_Knight_00: It is not possible to disagree with an opinion. Your's may differ but it is not possible to disprove my sincerity.

I find SP First Person Shooters for the most part overly generic

I can see where RMS is coming from re 1 player fps games. But they are much more difficult to make than multiplayer arena games. Needing acting and level design which takes alot more budget (initially) than arena shooters (which need maintaining).

I think there is an abundance of new low budget single player fps games which are fun for a laugh and offer very good value if your not bothered that it's a bit rough around the edges.

Arena shooters do not immerse you in a world like a first person story-based game can.

If people are going to keep posting on this thread I am henceforth banning any CoD game or Halo games as they are degenerate and I disagree with people who like them.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

In no order.......

Bioshock
Bioshock
STALKER: Call of Pripyat
STALKER: Call of Pripyat
STALKER: Clear Sky
STALKER: Clear Sky
Far Cry 5
Far Cry 5
STALKER: Lost Alpha DC
STALKER: Lost Alpha DC
Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#10 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

@jackamomo said:

@Black_Knight_00: It is not possible to disagree with an opinion. Your's may differ but it is not possible to disprove my sincerity.

Differing and disagreeing are the same thing. Disagreeing and disproving are not.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

The other 5, also in no order.

Crysis
Crysis
Far Cry 4
Far Cry 4
Metro: Last Light
Metro: Last Light
Quake 2
Quake 2
Doom 2016
Doom 2016

Jackamomo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Jackamomo

@Black_Knight_00: It's just such a dumb comment. Like it would surprise anyone that my list was not the same as yours.

I welcome your top 10. Just no Halo or CoD - to keep it interesting.

[EDIT] I just realised this is not my thread. I thought I was in "My Top fps games' created a bit earlier.

Byrdyin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#14 Byrdyin
Member since 2019 • 24 Posts

For me, they are: (in no order)

Krunker io

Quake 2

Mantigames' Worldz

Combat 5

Far Cry 4

Bullet Fury

Shell Shockers

Bioshock

Call of Duty

Battlefield 1

qx0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 qx0d
Member since 2018 • 333 Posts

Left 4 Dead, Left 4 Dead 2, Halo: Combat Evolved, Rainbow Six Vegas, SWAT 4, Payday 2, Unreal Tournament, Goldeneye N64, Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon, Rainbow Six 3.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#16 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58647 Posts

Talking purely single player -

• Halflife
  • Halflife 2
  • Quake
  • Quake 2
  • Duke 3D
  • Fear
  • Stalker: SOC
  • Bioshock 2
  • Brothers In Arms: Road To Hill 30
  • Ultimate Doom

Jackamomo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Jackamomo

@journey_951:My favorite FPS game in terms of gameplay is Quake III Arena

It's interesting you said that game as I was just watching a video called Why is no-one playing Quake Champions?

I found Carmack's vision for a pure arena shooter game incredibly thin and it didn't hold my attention for more than a couple of hours.

Do you still play this game still today, in it's original, or online form?

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#18 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

My list in no order

1. Battlefield 2
  2. Far Cry 3
  3. F.E.A.R.
  4. Medal of Honor Allied Assault
  5. Crysis
  6. DOOM 2016
  7. Half Life 2
  8. SWAT 4
  9. Counter Strike Source
  10. Superhot

Kadin_Kai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#19 Kadin_Kai
Member since 2015 • 2247 Posts

Halo

Half Life

Half life 2

Kingpin

Far Cry 4

Deus Ex MD

Borderlands 2

Quake 3

Dying Light

Hopefully Cyberpunk 2077

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 RSM-HQ

@journey_951: Champions is really good, the reason it's only now starting to peak is likely due to how it was released and its mis-messaging during the launch marketing.

If you liked Quake III Arena you'll have a good time with Champions.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 RSM-HQ

@journey_951: Well you maybe in luck.

If you only play on console? A few sources detailed Bethesda will bring Quake: Champions out of beta at e3 2019. With console ports as the main selling pitch, much how they did for The Elder Scrolls: Online to go along with the full release of Quake: Champions.

I'd imagine it will available on the standard Xbox One and PlayStation 4. Perhaps a Switch port as well.

Personally I only like FPS on P.C. because of keyboard and mouse support, but I'm also not one of those gamers who has a superiority complex for what piece of plastics I own. Better to leave with the children having insecurity issues, play on whatever platform is your preference, and happy gaming!

CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#24 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9150 Posts

1 half life 2 halo 4 3 bioshock 4 the chronickles of ridick 5 metro exodus 6 doom 3 7 killzone 2 8 borderlands 2 9 crysis 2 10 far cry 3&deus ex human revolution

l34052

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 l34052
Member since 2005 • 3906 Posts

Goldeneye was my game back in the day. Me and my friends were all in our early 20s and we'd have a smoke and battle it out on 4 player, they were fantastic times and some of my best gaming memories.

Later on when the original xbox came along I thought Area 51 was a good game, it was voiced by agent Mulder himself, David Duchovny

gopre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26 gopre
Member since 2003 • 210 Posts

Metroid Prime Trilogy

Goldeneye

Halo

Fallout 3

Call of Duty 2

Bioshock

*Interesting looking at many lists - There's a lot of nostalgia going on.