Top 5 worth buying open-world and linear games (this gen)

HardMode88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By HardMode88
Member since 2007 • 96 Posts

So it's been years since we had a topic like this esp. nowadays, most games are going open-world and linear games are getting a slow steady decline since the successful launch of GTA 4 and the first Assassin's Creed back in the day. But the fact of the matter is, linear games are still catching up with its remarkable gameplay like Rise of the Tomb Raider amidst the hyped of open environment games that stretches its endgame playability like The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. To name a few, here are my top 5 best open world and linear games for this generation. You may pick top 5 for Honorable Mentions category. Feel free to share!

Open-world games

1. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

2. Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

3. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

4. Fallout 4

5. Horizon Zero Dawn

Linear games

1. Resident Evil 7

2. Overwatch

3. Persona 5

4. Bloodborne

5. Divinity Original Sin 2

Honorable mentions

1. Assassin's Creed Origins

2. Batman Arkham Knight

3. Red Dead Redemption

4. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End

5. Dishonored 2

What's yours? comment now. :D

Outtammo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2 Outtammo
Member since 2017 • 27 Posts

Weird to put Overwatch in there considering it’s a competitive FPS with no single player...

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56072 Posts

My top 5 open-world games: (Not in this order)

1. Grand Theft Auto: V
  2. Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
  3. Dying Light
  4. Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  5. Horizon: Zero Dawn

My Top 5 Liner games: (not in this order)

1. Rise of the Tomb Raider
  2. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
  3. The Last of Us Remastered Edition
  4. Quantum Break
  5. Nioh

These are the games I think are worth a buy.

Avatar image for yammireckorrdsan
YammiReckorrdSan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 YammiReckorrdSan
Member since 2016 • 616 Posts

Open World (not in this order) : Witcher 3, Final Fantasy 15, Assassin Creed Orgins, Yakuza 0

Linear (Not in this order): Senran Kagura Estival Versus, Tales of Berseria, Rise of Tomb Rider, Digimon Story Cyber Seluth

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12571 Posts

@HardMode88: Honorable mention number 1 is number 5 for open world.

HardMode88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 HardMode88

@outtammo: Now that you mention. Most probably the story was actually non-existent; though it had cutscenes throughout the campaign.

HardMode88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 HardMode88

@joshrmeyer: Yeah thanks for noticing mate. Well, Assassin's Creed Origins not bad. Hope they will be nominated for GoTY 2017.

HardMode88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 HardMode88

@davillain-: I almost forgot the Last of Us. That game's amazing. Thanks for reminding. So hyped for The Last of Us 2. Hope it comes next year mate.

HardMode88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 HardMode88

@yammireckorrdsan: I thought Tales of Berseria is a semi-open world. Can't wait for the upcoming Tales of Festival this June!

Avatar image for yammireckorrdsan
YammiReckorrdSan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 YammiReckorrdSan
Member since 2016 • 616 Posts

@HardMode88: It is semi open world. But it is still linear game. Like Zelda Ocarina of Time. You have open area, but the game is still linear.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#11 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

Open World - Horizon Zero Dawn

Linear, RE7 and Rise of The Tomb Raider

HardMode88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 HardMode88

@yammireckorrdsan: I guess Tales of Zestiria was more open-world than Bersy.

HardMode88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By HardMode88

@nibbin1191: Yes, it's not super linear but it's linear. It is far from being an open-world promise. If you played the game, it has a similar feel to Baldur's Gate. Hmm, I enjoyed playing MGSV: TPP and I just couldn't care less how the story flowed since I was already satisfied with how the last story ended (if you follow the timeline) in MGSIV. Gameplay-wise, it never bores me.

HardMode88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 HardMode88

@nibbin1191: But overall, no doubt Witcher 3 is the real deal if you're more of an RPG-type of gamer. I'd play both of them any day.

Clefdefa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#17 Clefdefa
Member since 2017 • 750 Posts

Open world : Enjoyed Horizon ( probably the game of the year for me ) and FFXV ( event thought it felt more like a very long fetch quest ) every other open world game I played I hated it.

Linear : Zero Escape Zero Time Dilemma, Persona 4 golden, Danganronpa V3, World Of Final Fantasy and South Park Fractured But Whole

CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#18 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9150 Posts

Open worlds 5 Gta v 4 fallout 4 3 assanin creed origin and final fantasy 15 2 the witcher 3 1 horizon zero dawn linear top 5 5 nioh 4 alien isolation and hellblade 3 bloodborne and last of us 2 rise of tomb rider 1 uncharted 4 and last guardian

HardMode88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 HardMode88

@clefdefa: I would really agree with you, HZD should be the GoTY this year, but LoZ:BoW is there. I am actually expecting that again for the nth time Zelda will get this. I still got my high hopes for Horizon though.

soul_starter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 soul_starter
Member since 2013 • 1377 Posts

@HardMode88: MGSV is indeed open world....an open, empty, boring, repetitive world.

My lists will be shorter but here goes:

TW3 - The story drags and I havent completed it but the world is deep and detailed, lots to explore, lots of great characters and some wacky side quests

Fallout 4 - As much as I've complained about its repetitive nature in the latter half of the game, the world itself is still awesome. Again, great characters, great environments to explore and ultimately, there is always an enemy to defeat or an obstacle to avoid

Zelda BOTW - Much like MGSV its a barren world at times but it actually looks beautiful and there is a sense of wonder and reward when exploring it, coming upon various segments which require game play and the survival-esque elements are a welcome addition

Just a point I'd like to make, I would not rank any of the above alongside the great open worlds we have seen in previous generations, from GTA V, San Andreas and Vice City to Skyrim, Fall out 3 and RDR.

Linear Games

Titanfall 2 - A genuine gem of a game which should get more attention

Battlefield 1 - One of the best military shooters of recent times

Uncharted 4 - Yet to complete it but just the right mix of an open environment but a more story driven, linear experience

Hellblade - I completely over a single Saturday, and even though it lacks finesse, it is one heck of an experience

Avatar image for deactivated-5c56012aaa167
deactivated-5c56012aaa167

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#22 deactivated-5c56012aaa167
Member since 2016 • 2538 Posts

Linear games:

1.Evil Within 1

2.Alien Isolation

3.DOOM 4

as for open world games the only open world game that I played from this generation was disappointing .

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#23 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

BOTW isn't even a top 10 for me, barren empty world with the shittest gameplay i have ever experienced. Whoever came up with that weapon system needs to be fired. Glad my brother bought the switch and not me, i know now not to buy my own.

HardMode88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By HardMode88

@soul_starter:I disagree saying MGSV:TPP is a boring repetitive world. Yes, it might be a barren wasteland but I just couldn't care less because the gameplay is just pretty awesome. Well, it got critically acclaimed and Metal Gear Solid 5 indeed is one of the very few open world games that are engaging and fun amidst its lackluster story which was not as immersive as the previous the games, but the fact of the matter is, it transcends and went out of the box from being a linear stealth game.

Just a point I'd like to make, I would not rank any of the above alongside the great open worlds we have seen in previous generations, from GTA V, San Andreas and Vice City to Skyrim, Fall out 3 and RDR.

Yeah, it was not supposed to be ranked in the first place but if it's included and launched at the beginning of 8th generation video game consoles which is "the current gen that I am talking about", technically they're included in the lineup like GTAV and RDR.

HardMode88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By HardMode88

@Random_Matt: Yep, indeed it was kinda like that but the exploration of the world and going from mission to mission is just fan. I probably value gameplay more than the story. But I guess BOTW has a fair story-line, the lore is there but it never transcends that typical Zelda story overall. Generally, it had an underwhelming plot but then again, the gameplay was a package, it had stealth, survival action elements and playful combat and I don't see any problem with that at all.

HardMode88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 HardMode88

@dorog1995: So, what was the last hyped open-world game you played?

You need to play The Evil Within 2. That game can par with RE7 or Outlast. ;)

Avatar image for deactivated-5c56012aaa167
deactivated-5c56012aaa167

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#27 deactivated-5c56012aaa167
Member since 2016 • 2538 Posts

@HardMode88: It was MGS V Phantom Pain.Sorry, I didn't enjoy it that much because I spent a lot of time playing those filler Side Ops than playing the Story missions.(Only get as far as missions 24 in the first 100 hours)

Side Ops were just too boring(Easier version of the main missions) or too easy.(Fighting zombies,etc)

You need to play The Evil Within 2. That game can par with RE7 or Outlast. ;)

Thanks, have plan to pick it up when I get better in university.

HardMode88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 HardMode88

@dorog1995:

Side Ops were just too boring(Easier version of the main missions) or too easy.(Fighting zombies,etc)

I think those were enhanced soldiers powered by parasites. Yeah the side-ops might be easier or boring, but the gameplay just never gets old. Stealthwise, I am enjoying it regardless of the story. It was more even fun compared to some assassin's creed games.

Continue playing the main missions, there's a ton of unique missions too, promise but if you're already bored, play Dragon's Dogma, that game is fun, though it has a cliche story, you'll get to enjoy the combat system with almost-human controlled AI party.

john_coronado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 john_coronado
Member since 2013 • 75 Posts

Worth buying Open-world.. 1) Zelda Breath of the Wild 2) GTA 5 3) Just Cause 3 4) The Witcher 3 5) MGSVTPP

Linear games worth buying. 1) Persona 2) Wolfenstein II 3) RE7 4) COD WWII 5) Nier Automata

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#30 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58299 Posts

I wouldn't call Divinity OS 2 linear. Games can be open in more ways than level design. List needs more Wolfenstein 2, by the way.

hashtageveryoneisacritic :D

henrythefifth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#31 henrythefifth
Member since 2016 • 2502 Posts

I dont play much linear games, but open world the following were really good

1.Mafia 3

2.Watch Dogs 2

3.Just Cause 3

4.Witcher 3

5.Mad Max

I think Mafia 3 and WD2 have enough coutryside and open water outside city map to be called open worlds. Especially since their maps are bigger than many so called open world games have...

Indeed, it is quite funny that Oblivion is called open world and GTAIV is not, given that GTAIV actually has lot bigger map for you to explore.

john_coronado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By john_coronado

@mrbojangles25: It was not super linear but it's not also super open-world either. But knowing you can't go free roam to places you want beyond whenever before a boss fight happen, it is somehow not just super remotely open like in Witcher 3 or Dragon Age.

john_coronado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By john_coronado

@henrythefifth: I second you on TW3 and Watch Dogs 2. Just Cause 3 was pretty okay but it was not that so satisfying compared to JC2's gameplay. Though it's debatable, JC3 really improved in terms of graphical design with all those damn great explosion effects.