Lebowski1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Lebowski1
Member since 2005 • 87 Posts

Almost the generic fave games topic, but with the stipulation that you give a brief explanation for why each game is in top 5. One game per franchise rule.

1. XCOM 2

The formula of detailed yet fast turn based battles, RNG management and comprehensive strategy layer just can't be found in any other franchise that I know of. It's almost like a genre of its own. MP is awesome too if you can find a game. I'd recommend playing Enemy Unknown/Within first though.

2. Final Fight: Double Impact

In-fighting is perfectly balanced, and is a total riot to play a troll style online. Fantastic netcode and an abundance of players on PSN thanks to PSNow release.

3. Valkyria Chronicles

The best hybrid turn based/real time battle engine around coupled with a charming anime wartime romance story.

4. Chaos: the Battle of Wizards

Like with XCOM, that unique Julian Gollop do-or-die approach to RNG (there are no hit points). Highly nostalgic for me personally.

5. Everybody's Gone to the Rapture

Just so haunting, between the almost photo realistic visuals and sublime music it just generates an unsettling mood all of its own.

Yams1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#2  Edited By Yams1980
Member since 2006 • 3630 Posts

Civilization 5 - my favourite civ game, has great graphics/music and gameplay. Civ 3 is also really near this game for one of my favourite civ games.

Ultima 7 - one of the first pc games i ever got back when I got a 386 pc in 1992. I still play it every so often. Besides Ultima Online, it was the last single player Ultima game that was good.

Sims 4 - its weird I like this game, when I first played this game I didn't get into it right away, but over time i've built so many custom sims and buildings, its kept me going back to the game throughout the years. Its full of bugs that keep growing as the game gets older which is too bad because its tough to recommend it for this.

Jagged Alliance 2 - best turn based game i've played considering its age... so much personality from all the mercs you will have working with you and just the open ended control they give you to take over and play the game is really fun. It's so non linear you can go at any pace you want and any direction you want during the game. Silent Storm should be mentioned here but its extremely linear and its basically the physics/destructible environments and great skill gain system that make the game so good but it is worth mentioning in the same space as Jagged Alliance.

Theme Hospital - great music and funny game. I play it through every couple years. The CorsixTH mod is essential and lets you even play the game in 21:9 ultrawide resolutions with ability to even zoom in or out which really improves the gameplay and ability to manage the hospital compared to the original 4:3 resolution it was released with.

For open world, i'd pick either Sunset Overdrive or Saints Row 4. So easy to play and fun.

warmblur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#3 warmblur
Member since 2017 • 3170 Posts

1. Sleeping Dogs

I love the Hong Kong setting along with the great characters and excellent combat system.

2. F.E.A.R.

Has the most satisfy fire fights of any game I've ever played.

3. Mirror's Edge

The atmosphere and ambient soundtrack of this game puts me in a zen state.

4. GTAV

This game is my most replayed game on PC this gen because the open world is amazing the variety in it keeps me busy the three protagonist of the game are great and I enjoy the shooting mechanics alot it feels so good to get multiple headshots in this game.

5. Remember Me

A forgotten hidden gem that has a amazing Cyberpunk setting with some solid combat and a excellent soundtrack along with a unique rewind memory puzzle mechanic.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#4  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 8643 Posts

Perhaps a killjoy answer_ not sure I can take part in this, because favorite threads like these make me forget so many amazing games I adore. The scale is just too limited, can't do such a narrow digit_

But am gladly reading the detailed and meaningful suggestions people are posting.