Top 5 Game to film adaptations you would like to see (done right)

• 139 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

NerdEmperor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 NerdEmperor
Member since 2004 • 965 Posts

What 5 game to film adaptations would you like to see the most? It's okay to name games that have already been adapted if you want to see them done right.

My top 5

Metal Gear Solid (you barely have to do anything to adapt this)

Max Payne (get a better writer and we'll try again)

Mass Effect (epic sci-fi badass-ness)

Devil May Cry (I want to see Dante spew one-liners on the big screen)

God of War (I know they're already making one but Bret Ratner?)

Legendaryscmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Legendaryscmt
Member since 2005 • 12532 Posts
1. Knights of the Old Republic.
2. Halo.
3. Gears of War.
4. God of War.
5. F.E.A.R.
czort666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 czort666
Member since 2008 • 1767 Posts
Tetris
NerdEmperor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 NerdEmperor

Tetrisczort666

Whoever is able to write a compelling narative around Tetris deserves an Oscar.

Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#5 Cherokee_Jack
Member since 2008 • 32198 Posts
Some of the old isometric CRPGs like Planescape: Torment or Baldur's Gate II. Maybe Bioshock too, but I doubt it would be very interesting (too bad, since it's already being made).
kdsns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 kdsns
Member since 2006 • 329 Posts

Halo.

Other than that, Splinter Cell. I cant think of many. KOTOR will never happen, Max Payne already sucked.

Making Metal Gear Solid into a film would be a mistake.

TenP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 TenP
Member since 2006 • 3338 Posts

5.) Uncharted: It just screams Summer Blockbuster.

4.) Mass Effect: I haven't been this absorbed into a story in a long, long time. Mass Effect, if done right, could be the next Star Wars.

3.) God of War: We've got too many movies about the good guys and the few made about the bad ones (that are good) are few and far apart. Kratos could mix the genre of Anti-Heroism and fantasy together.

2.) Metal Gear Solid: This doesn't even need explaining, excellent story and likable characters, I personally think that Christian Bale would make a perfect Solid Snake if he does the Batman Voice.

1.) Half-Life: We've got too many movies about those super buff knuckle-headed heroes. Let's give a win to the brainiac for once.

carrotthead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 carrotthead
Member since 2004 • 1408 Posts

i'd like to see:

1) metal gear solid

2) final fantasy 8

3) devil may cry 3

4) fahrenheit

5) shadow of the colossus

Avatar image for MetroidPrimePwn
MetroidPrimePwn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9 MetroidPrimePwn
Member since 2007 • 12399 Posts

1. John Woo presents Stranglehold: Yes, a movie based around a game which is based around a movie. Worthy of being made just for the lolz.

2. Max Payne: Done right, this would be awesome, because the game is awesome and actually movie-esque.

3. Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic: The games have a better story than all the Star Wars movies put together. Even if they screwed it up, it'd be guaranteed to be better than anything they've done with Star Wars movies in the past decade.

4. Far Cry 2: A movie all about some mercs running around Africa raising hell? I'd dig it. Hell, if it incorporated some nice African Turmoil into the plot ala Blood Diamond, it could actually be pretty emotional.

5. AudioSurf: Man, this would be trippy.

11Marcel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 11Marcel
Member since 2004 • 7241 Posts

1. John Woo presents Stranglehold: Yes, a movie based around a game which is based around a movie. Worthy of being made just for the lolz.

2. Max Payne: Done right, this would be awesome, because the game is awesome and actually movie-esque.

3. Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic: The games have a better story than all the Star Wars movies put together. Even if they screwed it up, it'd be guaranteed to be better than anything they've done with Star Wars movies in the past decade.

4. Far Cry 2: A movie all about some mercs running around Africa raising hell? I'd dig it. Hell, if it incorporated some nice African Turmoil into the plot ala Blood Diamond, it could actually be pretty emotional.

5. AudioSurf: Man, this would be trippy.

MetroidPrimePwn
Haven't you seen the movie Max Payne yet?
Avatar image for sinistergoggles
sinistergoggles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 sinistergoggles
Member since 2005 • 9919 Posts

Half-Life

Half-Life 2

Halo

That is all.

2good2betrue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 2good2betrue
Member since 2006 • 7791 Posts

[QUOTE="czort666"]TetrisNerdEmperor

As blocks fall from space, one man has the power to control the world's fate. His newfound telekenisis powers allow him to maneuver the evil blocks sent to destroy the Earth. Throw in a love story and I would like my Oscar now please.
ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts

TenP

Isn't there already a Uncharted movie? Doesn't it star Angelina Jolie or that Harrison Ford guy?;)

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ASK_Story
I'm going to say something completely different. I'd like to see a Gradius movie.
TenP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 TenP
Member since 2006 • 3338 Posts
[QUOTE="TenP"]

ASK_Story

Isn't there already a Uncharted movie? Doesn't it star Angelina Jolie or that Harrison Ford guy?;)

Yeah, I know what you mean. But they ARE making an Uncharted movie, believe it or not. The guy that wrote/directed X-Men 3 is doing it. I hope it's good though.

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ASK_Story
[QUOTE="ASK_Story"][QUOTE="TenP"]

TenP

Yeah, I know what you mean. But they ARE making an Uncharted movie, believe it or not. The guy that wrote/directed X-Men 3 is doing it. I hope it's good though.

It must be the writer then because Brett Ratner directed X-Men 3.
Avatar image for MetroidPrimePwn
MetroidPrimePwn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17 MetroidPrimePwn
Member since 2007 • 12399 Posts

Haven't you seen the movie Max Payne yet?11Marcel

Yeah, and it wasn't anywhere near as cool as the game.

The movie was okay, but it wasn't as powerful or psychological as the game.

Skie7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Skie7
Member since 2005 • 1031 Posts
Fallout - Unfortunately, this thing would probably end up worse than Water World. Grim Fandango - I imagine it being animated (clay-mationed) by the same people who did Nightmare Before Christmas and Corpse Bride. The Longest Journey - It would be awesome if they somehow managed to pay homage to the rubber duck + like 4 other items to get a key. At any rate, it'd probably make a good adventure movie.
Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Cherokee_Jack
Grim Fandango - I imagine it being animated (clay-mationed) by the same people who did Nightmare Before Christmas and Corpse Bride.Skie7
So Johnny Depp as Manny and music by Danny Elfman? :lol:
Ssilent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20 Ssilent
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

haha true story
Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
1. Manhunt, With movies as brutal as Saw and Hostel around, Manhunt should have a good shot at displaying the sheer grotesque brutal violence along with a compelling story. However the story, acting and overall feel to it would have to be suberb. 2. Legend of Zelda, Obviously has to be done correctly and true to the genre. Uwe Boll stay the hell away. 3. Deus Ex, Could be a really good movie if done right. 4. Root beer tapper, You know you want to see a bartender serve root beer for two hours and a half on the big screen. 5. No one lives forever, has material to become a really good over-the-top fun spy movie with the 60ties theme.
martialbullet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22 martialbullet
Member since 2006 • 10948 Posts
Well I guess the others have already said most of what I wanted. Well I would like to see a Splinter Cell movie! Not the one that's already in development hell and doesn't have Sam Fisher...or least Michael Ironside. I also would like a Super Mario movie by Pixar just because I'm 99% sure they can do a good one!

What? No, that person should get the Nobel Prize!
BowJester

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 BowJester
Member since 2008 • 83 Posts

Super Mario Bros 3

So many twists in that story line would make it incredible.

Avatar image for 190586385885857957282413308806

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 116

#24 190586385885857957282413308806
Member since 2002 • 13084 Posts

Bioshock - Directed by Guillermo Del Toro - I think he's the only one in the world that could pull off the detail that Rapture needs. Of course the movie would end up about the same quality as Hellboy but that's not too bad for a video game movie.

Dead Space - (Actually I think one is in the works for 2010) - If they use the story in the animated movie, the graphic novel and the game and get a competent cast, this may end up more than a terrible mish mash of Alien meets Night of the Living Dead.

Mass Effect - If they just stuck to the main story, this could be an excellent movie. Have Ashly played by the chick in Underworld and the alien girl played by Charlize Theron and which ever sex scene they decide on will be sure to deliver.

Kane & Lynch - Bruce Willis and Billy Bob Thorton starring in this game to film adaption with a few story tweaks. It would be a solid action/drama piece that would probably do well.

Eat Lead: The Return of Matt Hazard: A movie based on a game that's based on a fictional series of games. Or like the famous RDJ said with a little paraphrasing it'll be a movie disguized as a game disguized as another game.

NerdEmperor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 NerdEmperor
I thought about Bioshock, Half-Life and LoZ, but I didn't put it because I have doubts about it working as a movie because the main characters never speak.
ff7cloudking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#26 ff7cloudking
Member since 2005 • 3161 Posts
The only one that I can think of right now is Half-life
thusaha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 thusaha
Member since 2007 • 14495 Posts
StarCraft.
NerdEmperor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 NerdEmperor
[QUOTE="NerdEmperor"]

[QUOTE="czort666"]Tetris2good2betrue

As blocks fall from space, one man has the power to control the world's fate. His newfound telekenisis powers allow him to maneuver the evil blocks sent to destroy the Earth. Throw in a love story and I would like my Oscar now please.

Damn, go see the Academy, explain the situation and I'm sure they'll have no problem just giving you an oscar. They basically just give em out free nowadays anyway.

Zweihand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Zweihand
Member since 2008 • 608 Posts

Devil May Cry (but ONLY if Bruce Campbell is Dante)

NO Half-Life movies, they would be ruined instantly if Gordon spoke at all.

Drosa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#30 Drosa
Member since 2004 • 3136 Posts

To me, the best movie adaptation of a video game is one that augments or expands the world presented in the game. The worst thing you could possibly do is make a movie that retells the same story in the game. I'd rather go see something Uwe Boll does than a movie that retells the story in either Half-Life title. At least he tries to tell his own story.

However, if you're hell bent on making a Halo or Half-Life movie be smart about it. Tell me an earlier adventure of the Master Chief. I'd like to see a movie that tells me what happens to Corporal Adrian Shepard after the end of Opposing Forces. If you want something that is a little more current then tell me about the events leading up to the beginning of Half-Life 2.

One game I'd like to see return is No One Lives Forever. Since there are not going to be anymore it could be the perfect source material for a movie. The further adventures of Kate Archer would be the easiest things to do. The new Bond and Borne movies offer all kinds of things to parody. One story I'd like to see is how Kate and Agent Bruno Lawrie meet.

Another story I'd like to see is about Minsc and Dynaheir. The story of their meeting and adventures leading up to Baldur's Gate could be great fun.

One of my all time favorite side kicks is Dogmeat from Fallout. You know this dog has a story to tell. It would be difficult to tell a story around a dog that doesn't talk but it could be done.

jjtiebuckle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#31 jjtiebuckle
Member since 2008 • 1856 Posts
[QUOTE="Skie7"]Grim Fandango - I imagine it being animated (clay-mationed) by the same people who did Nightmare Before Christmas and Corpse Bride.Cherokee_Jack

And the man with 9 lives - Mr. Tim Burton himself! I would see it... My picks: Warcraft - made by the same team from Lord of the Rings trilogy *drool* Grand Theft Auto IV- 2 words... Niko Bellic Diablo - again, made by the same team from Lord of the Rings *drool* Chrono Trigger - CGI animated ((think Advent Children)) Castlevania Harmony of Dissonance- a Dracula movie done proud
NerdEmperor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 NerdEmperor

[QUOTE="Cherokee_Jack"][QUOTE="Skie7"]Grim Fandango - I imagine it being animated (clay-mationed) by the same people who did Nightmare Before Christmas and Corpse Bride.jjtiebuckle

And the man with 9 lives - Mr. Tim Burton himself! I would see it... My picks: Warcraft - made by the same team from Lord of the Rings trilogy *drool* Grand Theft Auto IV- 2 words... Niko Bellic Diablo - again, made by the same team from Lord of the Rings *drool* Chrono Trigger - CGI animated ((think Advent Children)) Castlevania Harmony of Dissonance- a Dracula movie done proud

A GTA IV game would be cool except Sam Houser (or his brother) said that a GTA movie would never happen.

Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Cherokee_Jack
Chrono Trigger - CGI animated ((think Advent Children))jjtiebuckle
Somehow I don't think Akira Toriyama's art style would transfer well to CGI.
NerdEmperor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 NerdEmperor

[QUOTE="jjtiebuckle"]Chrono Trigger - CGI animated ((think Advent Children))Cherokee_Jack
Somehow I don't think Akira Toriyama's art style would transfer well to CGI.

Really? Have you seen the cutscenes in Blue Dragon?

Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 1

#35 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts
Baldurs Gate series The Romance of the Three Kingdoms/Dynasty Warriors (of course it would be much better if they ignored the games and went off the book) Grim Fandango

The guy that wrote/directed X-Men 3 is doing it. I hope it's good though.

Well, that pretty much kills my hope for it.
SinfulPotato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 SinfulPotato
Member since 2005 • 1381 Posts

Devil May Cry (but ONLY if Bruce Campbell is Dante)

NO Half-Life movies, they would be ruined instantly if Gordon spoke at all.

Zweihand
This is true! I'm sure it could be done somehow to be an amazing movie and never have the main character talk, while having the audience never once think.. "did gordan say anything?"
eyko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 eyko
Member since 2004 • 233 Posts

The Romance of the Three Kingdoms/Dynasty Warriors (of course it would be much better if they ignored the games and went off the book) Legolas_Katarn

Chi Bi a.k.a. The Battle of Red Cliff

edit: spelling mistakes

rmfd341

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 rmfd341
Member since 2008 • 3808 Posts
1 - Halo 2 - God Of War 3 - Devil May Cry 4 - Mass Effect 5 - Kane & Lynch Dead Men (I think they were planning a movie from this game) - Here's the link
Gammit10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 119

#39 Gammit10
Member since 2004 • 2397 Posts

1. Knights of the Old Republic.
2. Halo.
3. Gears of War.
4. God of War.
5. F.E.A.R.
Legendaryscmt

You, sir, are the winner.

WhiteWorld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#40 WhiteWorld
Member since 2004 • 326 Posts

World in Conflict

Fallout

No One Lives Forever (I'd also like to see a sequel, I really enjoyed these games)

Warcraft

Diablo

JohnnySN1P3R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#41 JohnnySN1P3R
Member since 2008 • 1916 Posts
Dead Rising or Left 4 Dead
UT_Wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#42 UT_Wrestler
Member since 2004 • 16426 Posts
1. Zelda 2. Mass Effect 3. Gears of War 4. MGS 5. Halo
UT_Wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#43 UT_Wrestler
Member since 2004 • 16426 Posts
Dead Rising or Left 4 DeadJohnnySN1P3R
Already done, they called it dawn of the dead.
Blue_Abyss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#44 Blue_Abyss
Member since 2008 • 176 Posts
MGS 4sher and Kingdom Hearts
Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Cherokee_Jack
MGS 4Blue_Abyss
What would be the point of that? Isn't it supposed to do the same things as a movie does while still being interactive?
Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#46 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

Mass Effect

Fallout

Uncharted (please let Nathan Fillion be Nathan Drake!!)

Wolfenstein

The Witcher (dont make it like the bull crap european movie version of it)

TheGameCritic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#47 TheGameCritic
Member since 2008 • 176 Posts

Gears of War 1 & 2

God of War

Far Cry (done right)

Is Turok already a movie? Im not sure. A disney Kingdom Hearts film would be interesting lol. What if there was a Jak and Daxter or Ratchet and Clank movie? that would be so weird :P

Zweihand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Zweihand

1. Devil May Cry

2. Metroid

3. Ikaruga

4. Phantom Dust

5. Jet Grind Radio

And, while we're at it, the top 5 movies I'd like to see made by Uwe Boll, for crits and giggles:

1. Time Crisis

2. Contra

3. Mercenaries

4. No More Heroes

5. Team Fortress 2

Fleeman6019

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#49 Fleeman6019
Member since 2005 • 855 Posts
no video game movies, america film sucks bad enough already they shouldn't be aloud to tarnish the legacy of any game
Zweihand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Zweihand
no video game movies, america film sucks bad enough already they shouldn't be aloud to tarnish the legacy of any gameFleeman6019
Need I remind you that the Super Mario Bros movie was a far superior piece of entertainment than any of the 3D Mario games. If anything, Mario 64 and Galaxy tarnished the Mario namesake with piss-easy gameplay.