Top 5 best horror games ever?

• 54 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for GreekGameManiac
GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 GreekGameManiac
Member since 2010 • 6439 Posts

Mine is

SH2

SH3

SH4

REmake

SH Shattered Memories

Maddog2212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Maddog2212
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts

1. Resident Evil 4

2. Silent Hill 2

3. Dead Space 2

4. Silent Hill

5. Resident Evil (Remake)

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

1. Echo Night: Beyond

2. Echo Night: Beyond

3. Echo Night: Beyond

4. Echo Night: Beyond

5. Echo Night: Beyond

Everything else comes after this.

stjimmy222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#4 stjimmy222
Member since 2007 • 288 Posts

SH2

SH3

Left 4 Dead

Fear

Dino Crisis

KillerJuan77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 KillerJuan77
Member since 2007 • 3823 Posts

Why only 5? I have a selection of 10+ games

1.- Clock Tower

2.- Scratches

3.- Echo Night Beyond

4.- Fatal Frame II: Crimson Butterfly

5.- Resident Evil 3

6.- Siren: New Translation (The only game to ever leave me shivering, that damn hospital level with the girl...)

7.- Eternal Darkness

8.- Silent Hill 3

9.- I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream (Not really horror, but it's absolutely terrifying)

10.- Deadly Premonition

ALG_82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#6 ALG_82
Member since 2009 • 26 Posts

Top 5 in no particular order are:

1. Resident Evil 2

2. Silent Hill

3. Evil Dead: Hail to the King

4. Doom (all of them)

5. The Darkness

Definitely a tough question as there are many awesome horror games

thermalvision

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 thermalvision
Member since 2012 • 146 Posts
five of the most horror games : 1) F.E.A.R 1 + Addons 2) DeadSpace 1&2 3) Stalker: Shadow of Chernobly 4) Prey 5) The Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth
getondees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 getondees
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts

Man I loved the first Clock Tower:D

KillerJuan77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 KillerJuan77

getondees

You know what we need? A Clock Tower remake running on the CryEngine 3 with a remastered soundtrack and improved voice acting. Also, Move and Kinect support.

Altair6661

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Altair6661

1. Silent Hill 2. Best Horror game ever. Period. Best story, best gameplay, best enemies, best camera angles, it just doesn't get any better that that.

2. Resident Evil 4 ( I know, it's more action than horror, but still )

3. Fatal Frame : Crimson Butterfly

4. Silent Hill: Homecoming ( I know most people didn't like the game, but the story is almost as good as the one in SH2 )

5. Amnesia: The Dark Descent ( Definitelly one of the scariest games I have every played. That ghost guy chasing you is totally unpredictable, he is as random as a fu**ing pidgeon on the street. You never know when he is gonna show up, where he will go, or what he will do. But the thing I find the most scary about this game is the fact that you cannot defend yourself in any way. You can only run and hide. Plus, you have to turn off the light every time the monster comes around, and when you are in the dark, your sanity begins to drain. )

I have to add a number six.

6. Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare. I remember playing this on PSX and being scared like a motherfu**er. I was a little young then, and I played all horror games around 01:00 in complete darkness. I remember the story and I thought it was amazing, plus there's the * separate ways * thing. You can play as Carnby or Aline. He was more of the run and gun type, while her side of the story was mostly focused on puzzles. I loved the fact that I can choose which character I can play.

zeigzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 zeigzero
Member since 2005 • 193 Posts

Ok, definitely silent hill 2 and 3, and Resident Evil 4 and REmake take the top honors. too tough to put into a heirarchy, because i think the values of these games are at odds with each other. Silent Hill 2 in particular is more effective in its atmosphere and story than almost any other piece of horror media out there, absolutely capable of destroying your sanity as you play it- it makes you as a player analogous to the "protagonist". REmake and 4 are great horror games with amazing game mechanics and controls, but can't compete with SH in terms of story or atmosphere. honorable mentions: Fatal Frame 2: Crimson Butterfly and Call of Cthulhu:Dark Corners of the Earth. CoC is an often overlooked game i think, and not only did it succeed in creating a highly playable experience of Lovecraft's fiction (the father of horror imo), it's very atmospheric and genuinely terrifying sometimes. waking up in that hotel room and narrowly escaping through the window with those lunatics chopping down the door behind me... i'm still having nightmares.

Avatar image for FalafelLivertus
FalafelLivertus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 FalafelLivertus
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
Amnesia. Penumbra. Resident Evil 4. Silent Hill 3. Darkness Within. Call of Cathulu: Dark Corners of the Earth.
KillerJuan77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 KillerJuan77

Amnesia. Penumbra. Resident Evil 4. Silent Hill 3. Darkness Within. Call of Cathulu: Dark Corners of the Earth. FalafelLivertus

I need to check Darkness Within soon, there's a really creepy looking special edition on Amazon and eBay.

pekkou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 pekkou
.Amnesia.
Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#15 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5903 Posts

[QUOTE="getondees"]

KillerJuan77

You know what we need? A Clock Tower remake running on the CryEngine 3 with a remastered soundtrack and improved voice acting. Also, Move and Kinect support.

I would buy this so fast...

My 5, not really in order after #1:

1) Silent Hill 2

2) Clock Tower

3) Resident Evil 2

4) Eternal Darkness

5) System Shock 2

I don't even know if those would be in my top 5, except SH2 and Clock Tower, but those are the games I can think of right now.

LessThanMike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 LessThanMike
Member since 2002 • 5364 Posts
1. Resident evil 2. Bioshock 3, left 4 dead 4. Alan wake 5. Metro 2033
Martin_G_N

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Martin_G_N
Member since 2006 • 2124 Posts

- Resident evil Remake

- Resident Evil 2

- Dead Space 2

- Silent hill 2

- Dino Crisis ( I had allmost forgotten this game....a remake of this would have been really cool ).

Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#18 Arach666
Member since 2009 • 23286 Posts
Penumbra Black Plague,Amnesia and Silent Hill 2,though SH2 wasn´t anywhere near as "scary" as the other two.
Alphgroup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Alphgroup
-Siren (all of them) -Silent Hill -Silent Hill 2 -Resident Evil 1,2 -Resident Evil Outbreak File#1,2
Dexter-010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#20 Dexter-010
Member since 2011 • 494 Posts
I haven't played them much because it isn't my thing. Dead Space Resident Evil 5 Silent Hill Left 4 Dead BioShock 2 (if this one counts)
Jshoelace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Jshoelace
Member since 2008 • 846 Posts

A lot of people saying the Silent \hill games. i never played them, I might have to check them out.

My top 5 but in no order:

1: Resident Evil 2

2: Dead Space

3: F.E.A.R

4: Amnesia

5: Project Zero

Currently playing Dead Space 2, loving it but just not finding it scary at all.

The game that freaks me out the most is Half Life 2 (especially Ravonholm) and the guys with the black head crabs on them are horrible!!

I'm also playing stalker soc, and its pretty scary, but it has too many bugs for it to be amongst my top 5.

MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 MonkeySpot
Member since 2010 • 6070 Posts

1. Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem - The only game to get the experience of hallucinating correct. Trust Me. :lol:

2. Call of C'Thulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth - The only game to get Lovecraft even halfway correct, excellent mash-up of his stories, centered mostly around "Shadow Over Innsmouth".

3. Alone in the Dark: Inferno - The only current-gen horror game to spark my imagination.

4. DOOM 3 - A haunted house, IN SPACE! Game made me soak m'linens.

5. REmake - A graphic upgrade to one of the best games to define the genre.

Honorable Mention:

Clock Tower Series

Fatal Frame Series

Silent Hill Series

Echo Night: Beyond (Yes, someone else knows that one)

:D

Haunting Ground

Lifeline (for being the most ****ed up technologically, making the "controls" a TRUE horror experience)

Spinnerweb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

#23 Spinnerweb
Member since 2009 • 2995 Posts

1. Resident Evil 4

2. Resident Evil 2

3. Ghosthunter

4. Darkwatch

5. Fatal Frame

Deanpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Deanpool
Member since 2009 • 31 Posts
Aw man, does nobody remember Cold Fear on Ps2/Xbox? that was a great action horror scary game stuck onboard a beaten up old ship with freaky things around every corner.
thenerd1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#25 thenerd1989
Member since 2012 • 88 Posts
Silent Hill 1 Silent Hill 2 Silent Hill 3 Resident Evil 2 Doom3
Mike-uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#26 Mike-uk
Member since 2008 • 2088 Posts

In no particular order:

Resident Evil 2

Dead Space

Condemned

Dead Island

The Suffering

Im surprised no one mentioned The Suffering, good game and at times just plain terrifying.

_Judas_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#27 _Judas_
Member since 2004 • 785 Posts

5. Quake - this game scared me sheettless back in the days. Me and my mate used to sneak into his older brother's room when he was out and sneak-played this game without him knowing it. He had a pretty awesome surround set-up (for its time), and the volume was always pretty high. The room was dark, and I remember sitting there waiting for the insanity begin while my friend typed in the Ms Dos commands (no windows...yes, I am that old). This game was pretty brutal, and unfortunatly I can't duplicate the experience today....I think.

4. F.E.A.R - this game I -barely- played as it demanded a pretty high-end machine for its time. Still, I managed to complete it. The game is filled with so called "cheap thrills", but MAN! do they work. At one point you climb down a ladder. Being a fps-game, this means that your character turns around and climbs down the ladder, showing the player the ladder-steps and climbing hands on-screen. When you are at the bottom and turn around BOOM! a scary looking goon is suddenly staring at your face! Where did he appear from?! WTF?!!

3. Dead Space - this game is actually one of the games I recently played (the Dead Space-series was recommended to me by my local game-dealer). I would say that this game relies to much on cheap scares, but the scene at the end of the game totally stopped my heart.

2. Half-Life :They Hunger MOD - ok, this is a terrible, terrible mod. This game excells at creating a frightful atmosphere by using sounds, lights and scary animations. When you play one of those games where you are truly scared of the levels/surroundings and "creep" or sneak forward and REALLY think of what strategy to use and how to survive- this is one of 'em and it gets my vote.

1. Silent Hill 2 : This game is truly terrifying. The atmosphere is fantastic- suspensful. The sound and lighting is spectacular -this has to be the ultimate scary game?! The enemies are so creepy and when you hear that static going you know something horrible is approaching. It kinda reminds me of Pawlovs Dogs - when you hear that sound you immidietly link it to evil, pain or gruesome - in general;something bad! This game is awesome, and I often sit and ponder about the ending(s) of the game and how mysterious and effective they/it are/is. Such a great game and I want to play it again now!

Honorable mentions :

Resident Evil-series ; the RE-games are great and the start of the series were really awesome survival-horror games (1,2, 3? and Code Veronica). These games are great, but I never got that panic'y feeling when playing 'em, and that is what a true horror game should do. They are great survival-horror games, no question, just not top five...

Fatal-Frame-series ; these games might be scary, to some players, but I didn't really find them all that terrifying.

Obscure ; Maybe an overlook game? The features similiar camera-positions as RE (fixed cameras), only some areas the cameras tend to slightly follow the actors. The action takes place at school or a campus-area. You play as students I think, and you have to discover what has happened to the school. The game is for PS2 and Xbox.

The_TopEleven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 The_TopEleven
My top 5 would be; 5. Resident Evil 4. F.E.A.R 2 Project Origin 3. Doom 3 2. Dead Space 1. And easily Amnesia: The Dark Descent. However I did write an entire 'Top 11' article on The Top Horror Games, the link is here ( http://thetopeleven.net/technology/gaming/the-top-11-horror-games-of-all-time-part-one-two/ )if any of you want to check it out and feel free to looking around the site also. Any possible help about the site itself is also pretty cool to have (:
iowastate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#29 iowastate
Member since 2004 • 7922 Posts

1. Haunting Ground (truly Survival Horror - no weapons)

2. Siren games - both are as creepy as they come

3. Silent Hill series - SH2 is still my all time fave and SH3 is not far behind

4. Resident Evil series - RE4 one of best ever - they are all worth having.

5. Fatal Frame series gets the edge in scariness over Clock Tower FF3 is beyond great and FF2 is really quite good.

Clock Tower 3 was very enjoyable also.

it is hard to leave out Clive Barker's Undying which is a really creepy game with a great horror movie ambience to it.

Xeilia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Xeilia
Member since 2009 • 231 Posts

Resident Evil 1

D (It's a very old game)

Silent Hill 1

Silent Hill 2

Resident Evil 3

Subaru1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#32 Subaru1980
Member since 2012 • 144 Posts
Silent Hill Resident Evil 4 Parasite Eve (1997 PSX) F.E.A.R. Dead Space
RAD_RADIO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 RAD_RADIO
Member since 2004 • 1361 Posts
five of the most horror games : 1) F.E.A.R 1 + Addons 2) DeadSpace 1&2 3) Stalker: Shadow of Chernobly 4) Prey 5) The Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earththermalvision
Way off point... the only one that even falls under Survival Horror is Dead Space. With that being said, had the title been "Top 5 Scariest Survival Horror Games of all time" my list would be completely different. However, this is not the case :( Silent Hill 2 Silent Hill 1 Dead Space Siren Clock Tower 3
Holy-Rapture

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Holy-Rapture
Member since 2008 • 51 Posts

My top 5:

Resident Evil series except 5 (s*cked)

Dead Space 1 & 2 (although more 1 than 2)

Condemned 1 & 2

Silent Hill

Manhunt (doesnt exactly fit the genre but you had to survive and it was scary haha ^^')

-- Playing Amnesia eventually and i wanna go on a survival horror binge on all games ive missed but always wanted to play, in the genre

Frieza99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Frieza99
Member since 2012 • 228 Posts
Silent Hill 1 Silent Hill 2 Doom 3 Dead Space Resident Evil
rickliao

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 rickliao
Member since 2007 • 60 Posts

SH2

SH3

Left 4 Dead

Fear

Dino Crisis

NightmareP3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#38 NightmareP3
Member since 2010 • 259 Posts

Resident Evil 3

Silent Hill 1

Amnesia : The Dark Descent

Aliens Vs Predator 1, the Marine campaign always scares the living hell out of me!

and i guess, Dead Space. I never found the Dead Space games ot be all that scary but they still do fall under the Horror category.

kingnothing47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#39 kingnothing47
Member since 2011 • 82 Posts

If this thread isn't dead I'd like to add my two cents (:

From slightly disturbing to terrifying my top 5 would be

5. Turok 2, for those of you who haven't played the pc port of this N64 title check it out! It's about a space travelling Native American saving the multiverse from an all devouring evil, I remember how badly this segment scared me as a little kidhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ok5d36KCT8, basically while searching for portals to take you to offering chambers that grant you special abilities you run across these fake gateways that take you to the lair of an entity known only as Oblivion. He and his legions of flesh eaters beckon you to thrash in the darkness and die an agonizing death.

4. F.E.A.R and Extraction Point, I wouldn't say that this game has caused me to lose sleep, but in the moment when you get all wrapped up in the game's thick atmosphere it can be pretty damn scary. An army of clone soldiers butchering a town for reasons unknown, a serial murderer puppeteering them around and feasting on the corpses, and some little girl in a red dress that incinerates everything around her as she walks slowly towards you. It's a total fustercluck, but the game has a very cohesive story once you piece it together, and Alma is truly disturbing.

3. Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth, I'm sure that most horror fans have not heard of this one, it's an old Bethesda game based off of H.P. Lovecraft's excellent story The Shadow over Innsmouth. You're a private detective hired to track down a missing shop worker in a quiet town with a very dark and ritualistic history. The game is very ominous, and the slow pace builds tension quite well.

2. Rule of Rose, a very macabre game that was banned in a multitude of countries because of the dark nature of the game. You play as a girl named Jennifer as she relives some of her sinister memories. It's very interesting to see the plot unfold, as it is seen through your character's eyes when she was a young girl, as such the game is drenched in symbolism and metaphor. If you haven't heard of this one definitely check it out, there's a very thorough wikia article you can find and it's worth it for its content.

1. Silent Hill 4, I might be alone on this one since this game evidently divides most of the fanbase. The game centers around a man named Henry Townshend who becomes locked in his apartment room a few years after moving in. While exploring your room you may interact with almost any object you can think of, and it's very interesting to look out your window and try and communicate with all of the passerbys outside, all in vain. A mysterious hole emerges in your bathroom during this exposition, and the game forces you to crawl through it. Holding the W key to move through was probably the most painful thing I have had to do in any game in quite some time. It only gets worse later on when the one place you believed to be a refuge becomes vulnerable to the growing darkness. Check this game out, the narrative is incredibly tight and although the combat is clunky at times, it fits, it's incredibly fitting for your character.

SEGA86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 SEGA86

1. All Resident Evils for ps1/ps2

2. Dead Space 1 & 2

3. Slatterhouse 1, 2 & 3

4. Silent Hill 2

5. Dino Crisis 1& 2

shogoth_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 shogoth_
Games that scared me as a youth, in chronological order: Castlevania: Simon's Quest Sega CD version of Dracula Turok 2 Resident Evil 1 Silent Hill 1 I enjoy the way horror games have evolved into more atmospheric terror. The olden days were fun to mind-trick yourself into terrifying thoughts, but now you just have to look at your environment. I'm a huge lovecraft fan, but I've never played the Call of Cthulhu game.. I gotta try that some time...
iowastate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#42 iowastate
Member since 2004 • 7922 Posts

while there is a certain factor of agreement this thread does emphasis the degree to which personal preference makes a difference when #t sites make their best game and GOTY lists.

They don't always agree and many if not most games hardly ever agree with the placement of their favourite games in the lists.

Se we buy and play the games we enjoy and disregard what the the criics and reviewers have to say because they always seem to ignore the most important factor when they tell us about a game.

They don't never seem to include a rating on how much fun you have when you are playing it

RE4WiiGirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 RE4WiiGirl
Member since 2007 • 1144 Posts

I dont really have a top 5 as ive only played 1 of these games, but I am very interested in the genre and am noting your favourites for when I rebuild my PC.
I have a few questions though:
Most of you have Silent Hill 2 as your number ones, and on the GS site it has a rating of only 6...? I find this strange if the game is so good.
What are peoples thought on the following series and which (prequel, sequels etc) are best, as I dont know much about them:
Left 4 Dead, Silent Hill, The Walking Dead, Metro.

I quite like zombies so anything with them would be good, I think L4D? Apparently there are good add-ons for L4D2?

My list:
#1 - Resident Evil 4, Wii edition

vampire721

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#44 vampire721

i'l have to aggre with the first 2

BarbaricAvatar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#45 BarbaricAvatar
Member since 2006 • 1000 Posts
  1. Alien vs Predator 1 (Marine mode is just too much)
  2. Doom 3
  3. Silent Hill 1
  4. F.E.A.R
  5. Trespasser (Bad controls = panic and runnnn)
D3FF3C7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 D3FF3C7

5. Dead Space 2
4. Penumbra
3. Silent Hill 2
2. Siren : Blood Curse
1. Amnesia

Bithellio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Bithellio
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
i really kinda like the fatal Frame games i meant hey take a lot of getting used to but they really keep me on edge.... plus the concept is appealing to me Thats my opinion anyway
Dhruva44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Dhruva44
My Best 5 games is silent hill 2 silent hill 3 resident evil 5 silent hill 4 .......... its because these games have great story,grafics is nice and character also...
CloneBraveB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 CloneBraveB
I haven't played many horror games so far but this games would be my favourites 1. Amnesia 2. Penumbra (haven't played it by now but I think it's awesome) 3. Descent (coming out this year) 4. Dead Space series (only played the first one a little bit) 5. Luigi's Mansion (WiiU - perfect game to play with your friends)
CloneBraveB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 CloneBraveB
[QUOTE="CloneBraveB"]I haven't played many horror games so far but this games would be my favourites 1. Amnesia 2. Penumbra (haven't played it by now but I think it's awesome) 3. Descent (coming out this year) 4. Dead Space series (only played the first one a little bit) 5. Luigi's Mansion (WiiU - perfect game to play with your friends)

3. Outlast ^^ (stupid me :P)