too much games to play

• 52 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Hakumen21 (359 posts) -

i can hardly focus all of my time and energy into one game and beat it to true completion.

why?

b/c theres too little time and too many games.

I got Injustice: Gods among us last month and I'm already playing Fire Emblem.

and ive got 80% of my steam library untouched, or unfinished.

and then is ay to myself, No more purchasing or renting more games!

but then theres must-buys such as GTA V and Animal Crossing: New Leaf as well as Pokemon X or Y.

back then as a kid, when i got any new game id be thrilled.

now ive got too much.. well for me at elast.

:\

i know im not alone, right?

#2 Posted by Gallowhand (590 posts) -

You're not alone.  I have a large backlog that I need to get through as well.

However, I'll also be well prepared if there is ever another game market crash. :P

#3 Posted by Lulekani (2318 posts) -
Cut your Backlog in Half by not Playing your RPG's. Back in my PC Days, 80% of my games were RPG's and RPG-Hybrids. So yeah, thats that.
#4 Posted by gameofthering (11115 posts) -

I seem to be buying games, playing for an hour or two and then forget about it.

#5 Posted by Yoshi9000 (479 posts) -

I feel this way too, but only about buying. I'm a pretty frugal consumer (unless it's food), so I narrow things down and only buy games that I know are good and that I'll enjoy. There are many games on my mind I'd like to buy, but I only pick one at a time and play it, and after playing that one game, a few games that were on my mind become eliminated. I've never considered buying lots of games at one time, but if that is what you are doing, then maybe try only purchasing one at a time.

#6 Posted by Ragnarok-64 (1295 posts) -

http://www.backloggery.com/ragnarok64

I have a pretty hefty backlog myself. I'm starting to slowly go through my backlog and first doing games I've already started before starting games I've still got sealed.

#7 Posted by Bigboi500 (35550 posts) -

Agreed. My backlog is still crazy full, and I've been going through it a lot lately. I haven't had time to play Bioshock Infinite, Lego City Undercover or Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon.

#8 Posted by IndianaPwns39 (5037 posts) -

Yeah. I have a ton of titles in my backlog too. 

Right now getting through Final Fantasy XIII and GTAIV are the two big ones. I don't particularly like either one but I've had them for so long I feel that I should finish each.

#9 Posted by Hakumen21 (359 posts) -

Right now getting through Final Fantasy XIII and GTAIV are the two big ones. I don't particularly like either one but I've had them for so long I feel that I should finish each.

IndianaPwns39
FF9 has been bugging me. its a great game, but i just dont have the time to sit through it and play it anymore. its such a long game(great though).
#10 Posted by Michael0134567 (28651 posts) -

Same here, too many games to finish. I might have finished more if MW3 wasn't so addictive. :P

#11 Posted by Canuck3000 (40562 posts) -

I'm the same way. I think why it was different when we were kids is because getting a new game was a really big deal. We couldn't just go out and buy one whenever we wanted. Usually had to wait a while to get new games. I think that's also why I used to replay older games a lot more often.

Now we can get games whenever we want, so it's easy to just buy a ton and become overwhelmed. I'm currently playing, Fire Emblem: Awakening, Virtues Last Reward, Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen. Then I have Persona 4 Golden among others also going on.

I'm trying to keep myself from getting new games until I complete one that I already have, but then there are the "must play" games so even that doesn't work all that well.

#12 Posted by TxTech1923 (662 posts) -
I was the same way, so I stopped buying games (unless I was gifted points cards or gift cards) and am going through my backlog now. Huge waste of money otherwise lol..
#13 Posted by Dexter-010 (494 posts) -
Try too finish/complete 4/6 games each month and don't buy new games untill you're done with most of your older games. I did the same untill some people ruined my profile and I had no other option to sell/trade-in most of my games. Currently I still have many games I need too start, but those are great games I'm sure I won't regret them. Also I take part of a challange on a forum where you can choose too finis 2, 4 or 6 games in 1 month. That helps me a lot with my backlog of games.
#14 Posted by naju890_963 (8954 posts) -

Try to avoid buying games for now and focus on only one game until you beat it or get tired of it.

Avatar image for MasterTankallex
#15 Posted by MasterTankallex (115 posts) -

The only reason I have too many games to finish is because I have so little time to play them at the moment.

#16 Posted by CecilChups (205 posts) -

I'm the exact same way. You know whats crazy also? I have about 400 video games, yet , I mainly play Team Fortress 2. I really should get cracking on my backlog. I did just got a 3DS XL and have been enjoying that A LOT. I recently completed Super Mario 3D Land and New Super Mario Bros 2. Both are really fun games, but I haven't finished them to 100%. I am working on that though, just because the games are that fun to play. Its fun trying to get 1 million coins in NSMB 2 and all of the gold medals in Super Mario 3d Land.

As for my backlog, SO many games. I still  have yet to play Dragon Age Origins after having it for 3 years.

#17 Posted by IndianaPwns39 (5037 posts) -

[QUOTE="IndianaPwns39"]

Hakumen21

FF9 has been bugging me. its a great game, but i just dont have the time to sit through it and play it anymore. its such a long game(great though).

At least FF9 was fun.

FFXIII looks really good and plays just fine but it's so damn linear and I hate a good majority of the characters that it's really hard to power through.

#18 Posted by CecilChups (205 posts) -

[QUOTE="Hakumen21"][QUOTE="IndianaPwns39"]

IndianaPwns39

At least FF9 was fun.

FFXIII looks really good and plays just fine but it's so damn linear and I hate a good majority of the characters that it's really hard to power through.

You know, even though I didn't care much for FF8, I look back at the game now and do enjoy its atmosphere. Maybe because it came out during simpler times.
#19 Posted by IndianaPwns39 (5037 posts) -

[QUOTE="IndianaPwns39"]

[QUOTE="Hakumen21"] FF9 has been bugging me. its a great game, but i just dont have the time to sit through it and play it anymore. its such a long game(great though).CecilChups

At least FF9 was fun.

You know, even though I didn't care much for FF8, I look back at the game now and do enjoy its atmosphere. Maybe because it came out during simpler times.

I think 8 gets too much hate.

That rhymes, and now I've lost my train of thought.

#20 Posted by WWE6427 (259 posts) -

Same here I bought a lot of games like a month ago when eb/gamespot had a lot of good deals for wii and ds games, then I got playstation pluse and got some free games and bought some discount games. It takes me a while to finish a game somtimes because I can't get into it and don't feel like playing it.

#21 Posted by sukraj (27303 posts) -

I dont have this problem as i own just 4 games.

#22 Posted by Lulekani (2318 posts) -

sukraj
Haha ! I own 8. Take That !
#23 Posted by sukraj (27303 posts) -

[QUOTE="sukraj"]

Lulekani

thats good at least we haven't got to worry about our back log of games bruv.

#24 Posted by Legolas_Katarn (15556 posts) -

back then as a kid, when i got any new game id be thrilled. now ive got too much.. well for me at elast.

As a kid you likely had more free time and weren't able to buy as many games as you are as an adult. Also with easy access to the internet and game news, and steam sales its much easier to buy or become excited for too many games at once. I've finished about 65 games this year and still have a large backlog.
#25 Posted by sukraj (27303 posts) -

back then as a kid, when i got any new game id be thrilled. now ive got too much.. well for me at elast.Legolas_Katarn

As a kid you likely had more free time and weren't able to buy as many games as you are as an adult. Also with easy access to the internet and game news, and steam sales its much easier to buy or become excited for too many games at once. I've finished about 65 games this year and still have a large backlog.

u finished 65 games what da f...

#26 Posted by Lulekani (2318 posts) -

[QUOTE="Lulekani"][QUOTE="sukraj"]

sukraj

thats good at least we haven't got to worry about our back log of games bruv.

80 percent of my games feature split screen, so I usualy only play them when my buddy comes over, its an excellent way to pace myself.
#27 Posted by HipHopBeats (2850 posts) -

I know many will disagree, but one way to save money and avoid an insane backlog is by watching spoiler vids of walkthroughs and let's play vids. Doesn't have to be the entire game. Just the 1st 10 or 20 minutes. By then, you'll know if the game is worth immediate purchase or not. If the game is good, minor spoilers do not ruin my experience since I only sw the 1st few minutes of gameplay. Spoiler vids have saved me a ton of money versus hype and reviews.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
#28 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (12690 posts) -

Fallout 3>>>>>games i want to buy.

#29 Posted by jsmoke03 (13696 posts) -

i can hardly focus all of my time and energy into one game and beat it to true completion.

why?

but then theres must-buys such as GTA V and Animal Crossing: New Leaf as well as Pokemon X or Y.

Hakumen21
i was like that before but i learned to actually beat a couple of games while i buy. it would be an injustice to you if you don't experience these things all the way through. anyway i think you can hold off buying new games as long as you know they are popular enough that they will just dissapear all of a sudden cuz it didn't sell well. wait for a sale with gta 5 if you know you aren't going to finish these games
#30 Posted by WWE6427 (259 posts) -

I know many will disagree, but one way to save money and avoid an insane backlog is by watching spoiler vids of walkthroughs and let's play vids. Doesn't have to be the entire game. Just the 1st 10 or 20 minutes. By then, you'll know if the game is worth immediate purchase or not. If the game is good, minor spoilers do not ruin my experience since I only sw the 1st few minutes of gameplay. Spoiler vids have saved me a ton of money versus hype and reviews.

HipHopBeats
Thats a good idea because you get to preview the game and see what its like.
#31 Posted by The_Last_Ride (76371 posts) -

why?

Hakumen21
i know how you feel, i look back when i got Pokemon Gold, Battlefront 2 or Mario Kart 64, i played the heck out of those. Now i have all these great games and so little time that i can't play them all
#32 Posted by RedCore119 (286 posts) -

Then why did you buy them in the first place if your going to complain.

why so serious dark knight Why So Serious? (The Dark Knight)

#33 Posted by RedCore119 (286 posts) -

sukraj

Let me guess they are all mario games

#34 Posted by Blueresident87 (5657 posts) -

I've never understood this sentiment...are you planning to expire soon? Those games will be there, waiting to be played whenever you wish to play them, no rush.

#35 Posted by Cyberdot (3928 posts) -

Cut down on the number of platforms you play on. I own a PC, PS3 and Xbox 360, and found that I haven't got enough time to play all games so I got rid of my 360 and focus on 2 platforms. Helps a lot.

And stop buying new games until your backlog is reduced. Just put a limit on the number of platforms you play on and games to buy.

#36 Posted by SciFiCat (1750 posts) -
Yep you are not alone, Steam seasonal sales are the bane of my existence. More often than not I would also stare at their weekend deal and tell to myself: "don't buy it, you already have way too many games you haven't even touched, it is a good deal too pass up but you'll have a chance again later in the year, I'm sure of it." I have to reason myself into NOT buying games. Then of course along comes the Humble Double Fine Bundle. ...... FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU------- Why are you doing this to me Tim Schafer?! :P
#37 Posted by Deadpool-n (489 posts) -

So many great steam sale deals left me in this mess as well.

#38 Posted by jsmoke03 (13696 posts) -
[QUOTE="HipHopBeats"]

WWE6427
Thats a good idea because you get to preview the game and see what its like.

if that was the case, i wouldve opted not to buy a lot of great games that pick up after the first couple of hours. i know i wouldve skipped out on mass effect 2(demo didn't play well for me) lost odyssey, infamous, uncharted etc....
#39 Posted by NexApex (225 posts) -

Yeah, I don't know how people try and Platinum every one of there games. There are just to many games to be played and hundreds being released yearly to be wasting all your time on a single game. Unless you highly enjoy it... "ain't nobody have time for that." :?

So far I've beat 17 games in 5 months. I have 60+ more to go before next gen starts and I want to play hundreds of more from this GEN!

Having a job sucks!

#40 Posted by SPBoss (3746 posts) -
too *many* games to play grammar fail
#41 Posted by Zensword (4507 posts) -
That's my problem as well atm. I usually buy only 1 or 2 games at a time and finish them before I buy another one, but recently I have bought a ton of games on many platforms, most of them are JRPGs.
#42 Posted by bowserjr123 (2465 posts) -

Geez, you guys have lots of unfinished/unplayed games.  The only ones I have are Fire Emblem Awakening (just bought it today), Star Wars Rogue Squadron (very close to beating it, I just can't get past this damn level), Super Return of the Jedi (I recently played through Super Star Wars and finally beat it, it was very tough and I haven't played this one much), oh and Dragon Ball Z:  Legacy of Goku 2 (can't find the game so a valid excuse lol).  Other than these games, I've beaten everything I own.

#43 Posted by Kevlar101 (6316 posts) -
[QUOTE="SPBoss"]too *many* games to play grammar fail

#44 Posted by GeoffZak (3715 posts) -

I've got a very large backlog myself.

I recently stocked up on a bunch of PS2, Xbox, PS1, N64, NES, Gamecube and Wii games I found at game stores such as Game X Change and Play N Trade.

I want to get my hands on these games so I can at least play them some day. I just know that sometime soon, these games are going to be very hard to find. I haven't even touched some of them yet:

• Knights of the Old Republic
  • Steambot Chronicles
  • Digital Devil Saga 1 and 2
  • Devil Summoner
  • Nocturne
  • Shadow Hearts from the new world and Covenant
  • Final Fantasy X-2
  • Drakengard
  • Um Jammer Lammy
  • Parappa the Rapper 2
  • Oddworld Munch's Odyssey
  • Xenoblade Chronicles (I HAVE NO IDEA HOW, BUT I GOT MY HANDS ON A COPY OF THIS IMPOSSIBLE TO FIND GAME. I WAS LUCKY ENOUGH TO FIND A GAMESTOP NEAR ME HAD A USED COPY TRADED IN RECENTLY. As soon as I saw that, I called up that Gamestop and said "B*tch! You listen hear. I know you have a copy of Xenoblade Chronicles. And you're gonna hold that sh*t for me and I'll be there in 20 minutes to buy it." Although I didn't say it quite like that. lol)
  • Pandora's Tower
  • The Last Story
  • Baten Kaitos
  • Prince of Persia
  • Amazing Island
  • Harvest Moon Save the Homeland (Save the Motherland as the game would be called in Russia. XD)
  • Final Fantasy 1

Way too many to list. lol. That's not even half of it.

I figured I'll get to playing all of these some day. But I feel that whenever I see a game in stores that's fairly hard to find, I have to buy it! Because I know that I'll never see it again.

That happened to me with Steambot Chronicles. I saw it ONE TIME in a Gamestop a while ago for $5. I said to myself, "Eh, I'll buy it some other time."

Never saw it again. I looked everywhere for it! My PS2 game collection wasn't complete without it. Until I gave up and decided to buy it online for $20.

Meh whatever. It's a really good game, and well worth the $20. But $5 would've been such a bargain!!! 

#45 Posted by RandoIphF (271 posts) -
Don't worry about a backlog of games. It's really not a bad thing. When I see all my uncompleted games I don't see a problem. If the gaming market crashed tomorrow, I'd still be set for years to come. A backlog isn't a burden, it's a plus.
#46 Posted by c_rakestraw (14870 posts) -

Yep you are not alone, Steam seasonal sales are the bane of my existence. More often than not I would also stare at their weekend deal and tell to myself: "don't buy it, you already have way too many games you haven't even touched, it is a good deal too pass up but you'll have a chance again later in the year, I'm sure of it." I have to reason myself into NOT buying games. Then of course along comes the Humble Double Fine Bundle. ...... FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU------- Why are you doing this to me Tim Schafer?! :PSciFiCat

The Humble Bundle is the very reason I have a backlog. Such great deals!

#47 Posted by GeoffZak (3715 posts) -

Don't worry about a backlog of games. It's really not a bad thing. When I see all my uncompleted games I don't see a problem. If the gaming market crashed tomorrow, I'd still be set for years to come. A backlog isn't a burden, it's a plus.RandoIphF

That's very true.

But I've spent so much money all of these games that I don't know if I'll ever get to play. XD

I sometimes think it might have been a waste of money.

But I think it's worth it in the end. I'll never be bored when I have free time. :D

#48 Posted by thegroveman (123 posts) -

why?

Hakumen21

There were about 20 games I intended to play but hadn't gotten around to, and it honestly was sapping my ability to be excited or invested in a game. I was in various stages of incompleteness in around 6 or 7 games, so when I would die or get stuck in game 1 I would pop it out and put in game 2, etc. I rode that carousel of fail for weeks before hanging up my controller for a while. I could never justify purchasing a new game, no matter how highly rated it was, because I still had "19 games I haven't played."

So I abandoned my backlog. I traded in all of the games I hadn't finished and purchased a new game for gasp full price. I played through the entire game in the course of a few days without putting in anything else. I powered through the difficult areas instead of popping out the disc. It. Was. Awesome. It took some mental gymnastics, but I have shed the desire of wanting to play all the games and I'm now a much more discerning customer, since I will only be buying a handful of games a year instead of perpetually falling behind.

#49 Posted by Sali217 (1301 posts) -
I'm currently in the process of selling off my collection and just buying whatever I want to play on an as needed basis. So yeah, I feel ya. lol
#50 Posted by Zorn_Ate_Thorn (270 posts) -

First world problems man, first world problems.