Too many game sites doing the same thing?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

JUDGE-PYRO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 JUDGE-PYRO
Member since 2003 • 281 Posts

Especially all the top players--reviews that are rushed out and not being analyzed properly and falling into the hype. (BioShock Infinte) amazing story, alright gameplay. Previews that they're not allowed to say anything bad about.

Are we in need of a new gaming website that does something fresh?

Avatar image for experience_fade
experience_fade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 experience_fade
Member since 2012 • 347 Posts

Especially all the top players--reviews that are rushed out and not being analyzed properly and falling into the hype. (BioShock Infinte) amazing story, alright gameplay. Previews that they're not allowed to say anything bad about.

JUDGE-PYRO
BioShock Infinite was an amazing game, I'm sorry that you don't feel that way. I don't think there is any real lack of originality among reviews with the popular gaming websites, however, I will say I'm bothered by the most recent GameSpot website change. They removed Awesome User Blogs from their front page, and with it, the most unique aspect to their website. To allow user contribution like that on the front page was incredible, and certainly original. Now that it's gone, it's hard to differentiate each website's features themselves.
Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#3 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

It's just that none of these writers have a degree in journalism - or have ever taken a single class in the subject.  They have no concept of impartiality.  They don't know the difference between an article and a blog.

Avatar image for platinumking320
platinumking320

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 platinumking320
Member since 2003 • 668 Posts

It's just that none of these writers have a degree in journalism - or have ever taken a single class in the subject.  They have no concept of impartiality.  They don't know the difference between an article and a blog.

Jackc8

Yeah. There needs to be a place  that hard foundational mechanic critics  like John Blow, Campster, and Superbunnyhop and the reasonable defenders of today's gaming Status Quo can have a more informing open conversation about what big budget games are behind the hype. Hypothetically if such a place had a powerful following, it could discourage some purchases, but it could make more folks really introspect and affirm why we like what we like in a game.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#5 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

JUDGE-PYRO
There are so many gamesites and YT´s channels where you can find reviews so some are bound to feel the same. But with Bioshock Infinite you have a game which was so hyped that it got to big to fail, reviewers already liked it even before they played it. Because if you get down to it Bioshock Infinite didn´t reinvent anything or even did anything better than wasn´t done before. Just look at the combat and variation in enemies to fight. same grunts, same middle enemies and same sub-bosses all the way to the end.
JUDGE-PYRO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 JUDGE-PYRO
[QUOTE="JUDGE-PYRO"]

experience_fade
BioShock Infinite was an amazing game, I'm sorry that you don't feel that way. I don't think there is any real lack of originality among reviews with the popular gaming websites, however, I will say I'm bothered by the most recent GameSpot website change. They removed Awesome User Blogs from their front page, and with it, the most unique aspect to their website. To allow user contribution like that on the front page was incredible, and certainly original. Now that it's gone, it's hard to differentiate each website's features themselves.

BioShock Infinite's a great game, there's no denying that, the amazing part was it's story, but as far as gameplay mechanics--good, not amazing. It's BioShock. The same can be said about the Halo games, it seems like there's a pressure on big game sites to give the game at least a 9 out of 10, same with other highly hyped games.
JUDGE-PYRO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 JUDGE-PYRO
I guess what I'm getting at, is a game site with a new theme, maybe one that doesn't really review games but just puts that in the hands of the community of gamers and more so breaks down upcoming games without having to make the game look good to the public. In game previews, big game sites are pretty much forced not to say anything bad about it, but only point out the positives.
Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#8 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

Too many users  posting the same topic?

JUDGE-PYRO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 JUDGE-PYRO

turtlethetaffer
Has this topic been posted before?
isv666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 isv666
Member since 2005 • 161 Posts

Most game sites are just copies of one another.  And the bigger ones get typical access to early reviews, previews, etc., and again, just copy one another.  Nobody wants to say anything bad for fear of losing that access.  There are smaller, quirky sites out there that don't really get any recognition and don't have access to a lot of early stuff.  But yeah, basically if you go to one site you've gone to all the big ones.

As for journalism style versus blog style, I tend to not really care how it's written as long as it is engaging and someone isn't passing off someone else's news as their own.

123Dan123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11 123Dan123
Member since 2003 • 14078 Posts
[QUOTE="JUDGE-PYRO"]

experience_fade

A good game with an amazing story and atmosphere you mean.
123Dan123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 123Dan123

Most game sites are just copies of one another.  And the bigger ones get typical access to early reviews, previews, etc., and again, just copy one another.  Nobody wants to say anything bad for fear of losing that access.  There are smaller, quirky sites out there that don't really get any recognition and don't have access to a lot of early stuff.  But yeah, basically if you go to one site you've gone to all the big ones.

As for journalism style versus blog style, I tend to not really care how it's written as long as it is engaging and someone isn't passing off someone else's news as their own.

isv666
Agreed, good point.
firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 firefox59
Member since 2005 • 4530 Posts

I was just talking about this with another poster the other day "I find the way reviews are now extremely unhelpful. When you break a game review score down into presentation, sound, gameplay and into categories like that the score becomes altered. I want to know if the game is fun and why or why not. What things stuck out as really good or really bad. Reviews are too technical and that's the problem. It's like writing a science paper from middle school with distinct parts and section that must be fulfilled."

The way sites review games is too similar, but having said that you can still try and determine the quality of the game based on the differences between sites becasue each one uses the same method. If sites had drastically different review styles, you would need a history of their reviews to determine if their opinions matched up with your own.

t1striker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 t1striker
Member since 2003 • 1549 Posts

JUDGE-PYRO

There are a lot of games to review, so not all of them can give every game the amount of time they deserve. This is one reason why I prefer smaller reviewers like angry joe over websites like gamespot, and Ign. You need to go find some people who review games for fun that like similar games to you that is the best way to find good reviews in my opinion. Though I prefer Ign for news, and I like gamefaqs/gamespot for there forums, and gamespot for their e3,tgs coverage.

Chris_Williams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Chris_Williams
Member since 2009 • 14882 Posts

start your own site

123Dan123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 123Dan123

start your own site

Chris_Williams

Actually me and my partner have been developing a gaming site for the past several months. But it's going to be different from other game sites out there now, feel free to track the progress on twitter--tho development has been slow but steady so far. https://twitter.com/danrhodenizer

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#17 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts

It's the nature of the business. Consumer-based journalism is a proven business model, albeit a very limited one. Not a whole lot of room there for innovation. Very much a model set in its ways, for better or worse. I think everyone's starting to realize that as well, thankfully.

You're seeing less and less previews that take a neutral stance and more articles that explore games in a different light, these days, as everyone begins to realize the futility of the old approach. Not to mention some fine investigative pieces cropping up more and more; Giant Bomb and Polygon especially so, as both regularly post in-depth, long-form articles. Lot of sites are straying from the usual safe approach and are branching out. It's exciting. Really hope it creates a better journalistic landscape because of it.

That said, I'd recommend looking around at some of the smaller, more niche sites. Places like Unwinnable, re/Action, Gamasutra, The Gameological Society, etc, and pay attention to blogs like Critical Distance and Good Games Writing for some extra variety. They all deviate from the norm of consumer-focused journalism in some really spectacular ways. They're great supplements to the usual big-name publications.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#18 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts

start your own siteChris_Williams

It really isn't that simple.

I write for a few start-ups. They're doing well (got me into E3 this year), but it took a shit-ton of work to make that happen. It's not easy getting them off the ground. There are literally thousands of similar sites doing the same thing, so you really have to make a strong case for why your site matters more than the dozens of other publications hanging about the Web. Add to the fact that you more than likely won't see any money for your work in the near future and it basically becomes an exercise in futility for everyone but the most dedicated writers.

123Dan123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 123Dan123
Well said c_rake, and thanks for the links, I will def check them out.
JUDGE-PYRO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 JUDGE-PYRO

start your own site

Chris_Williams
If only it was that easy.
Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#21 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts
GiantBomb is probably the most unfiltered in terms of previews and quicklooks. I don't read their reviews because I just watch them playing the games and talking about them in an almost unprofessional way. It allows them to say what they're thinking in the moment. They adressed your complaint about BioShock Infinite in their spoilercast, saying the game didn't need those heavy action sequences all the time and they were kind of the worse part about the game as they just seemed like filler.
Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts
It's true. Bioshock Infinite (which I disagree about being great) was discussed by so many sites in exactly the same way. It's like these sites all go to a convention and decide they will have a special podcast and feature on Bioshock Infinite and The Last of Us where they all hit on the same points and at least one person has to be hyperbolic about it's impact on the entirety of gaming. I don't really agree with the idea that writing should have some objective point of view to everything except blogs. People just get hung up on the term "journalist" and have certain expectations when they hear that word. These are not journalists. They don't get a hot tip and research it and write about what it's affect will be. Don't expect what they clearly aren't going to do. I don't know that I even blame them for that though because I'm not convinced there'd be enough of an audience to pay their salaries. I think recently, like the past two years, these sites have been doing too much of what Kotaku was doing. The recent blow up of Phil Fish, Jonathan Blow, and such illustrates what I mean. They too often just hear a rumor and go ask someone else to give them a story and then use clickbait to get hits from angry gamers.
Ricardomz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Ricardomz
Member since 2012 • 2715 Posts

I don't go by the reviews of anyone but mine so I couldn't care less.

JUDGE-PYRO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 JUDGE-PYRO

Ricardomz
So what influences you into buying games?
Gelugon_baat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 656

User Lists: 4

#25 Gelugon_baat
Member since 2003 • 24246 Posts

[QUOTE="turtlethetaffer"]

JUDGE-PYRO

Has this topic been posted before?

Yes, in many various forms, in fact.

Heck, I will just condense them - and your topic - into one sentence: Reviewers are not telling you what you want to hear.

Gelugon_baat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 656

User Lists: 4

#26 Gelugon_baat
Member since 2003 • 24246 Posts

[QUOTE="Ricardomz"]

JUDGE-PYRO

So what influences you into buying games?

Personal whims of course! These are the criteria that those who say what Ricardomz said have for their choices.

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#27 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

if you are in the business to make money, then yea its going to get stale. one thing that i have noticed is how adam sesslers review became so different from when he was working for g4 to his reviews for rev3.i hated xplays reveiws and couldnt stand the noobishness of their reviews, but i like how sessler started diving into the game as more than mechanics and technicalities. i think more review sites need to step away from that and start reviewing it for depth rather than texcture pop ins.