Too Late to Buy a PS2?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

p00zer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1 p00zer
Member since 2006 • 2514 Posts
I was thinking of picking up a Ps2 in a few months, for the summer. Are games still being made for it, and would it be a good choice for a money-conscious person? I'd mostly play stuff like Persona and Final Fantasy, I like rpg's a lot more then fps's (i use my computer for fps's). So yeah, would it be a decent rpg machine, without graphics so bad they're distracting? Thanks.
megagene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 megagene
Member since 2005 • 23161 Posts
You're in the legacy platforms forum so it's never too late to buy a PS2 as far as most of us are concerned. And it is the ideal choice for a money conscious person who wants to play good RPG's. :)
s1wel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 s1wel
Member since 2008 • 375 Posts
best console for rpg's at the mo next gen has to step it up in this dept
bigd575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 185

#4 bigd575
Member since 2008 • 6192 Posts
Doest it matter if there still making games, there's so many great games for it so it would be worth it.
p00zer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 p00zer
Thanks for the replies. I think I'll definitely buy one in a few months then!
yagr_zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#6 yagr_zero
Member since 2006 • 27850 Posts
I don't think it's too late to buy a PS2. It's one of the best rpg machines out there so if you're looking to getting it for only rpgs, then I'd say go for it.
rockguy92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 rockguy92
Member since 2007 • 21559 Posts
Nope. Arguably the greatest console ever.
fend_oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 fend_oblivion
Member since 2006 • 6760 Posts

I was thinking of picking up a Ps2 in a few months, for the summer. Are games still being made for it, and would it be a good choice for a money-conscious person? I'd mostly play stuff like Persona and Final Fantasy, I like rpg's a lot more then fps's (i use my computer for fps's). So yeah, would it be a decent rpg machine, without graphics so bad they're distracting? Thanks.p00zer

I got my PS2 around 2002, and I'm still playing games for it. Its library is HUGE. Just when I thought I played all the top tier games for the console, I happen to get interested in SMT DDS.Dont get the PS2 just for RPGs though, there are a lot more excellent games in their respective genres.

Don't worry about graphics. The PS2 is not that bad in the graphics department. The only thing the PS2 lacks is First-person shooters (which is a good thing imo. The PC is better)

And you've probably missed the Jak,Ratchet and Clank,Sly,Metal Gear Solid,ICO,Shadow of the Colossus and God of War series on the PS2. You should check them out. Trust me, if you like great games and wanna have an excellent time during summer - get the PS2. Its really awesome.

zarshack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 149

#9 zarshack
Member since 2009 • 9936 Posts
ps2 currently has the largest games libary of any console, and since most PS3s dont play PS2 games theres certainly no reason to not own a PS2.
Avistann

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Avistann
Member since 2008 • 7102 Posts
Nah it is not too late. I have a PS3 and I went still have recently bought some Ps2 Games. The whole MGS box collection and both GoW I and II recently.
JReefer1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#11 JReefer1
Member since 2004 • 898 Posts
No, I have games in my library that I want to play in HD (Tekken 5 anyone) to name a reason.
--T-Virus--

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 --T-Virus--
Member since 2005 • 1556 Posts
Yeah, indeed. My friend just bought a PS2 and he is totally happy with it.
mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#14 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts
unless you got a 1000 to find a 60 gb or 20 or 80 bc ps3 ps2 would be your only options if you want to play ps2 /ps1 games because at the moment like others said ps3 offers little to no rpgs what so ever , thank god im not interisted in rpgs other wise id be mad lol ,
garathe_den

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 garathe_den
Member since 2008 • 1427 Posts

There are games being made for it still, but the thing is that they are just lowly ports of 7th gen games.

The games previously released for it are the good ones you should look for.

Avatar image for xAcidicFantasyx
xAcidicFantasyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 xAcidicFantasyx
Member since 2008 • 239 Posts
It's honestly never too late to get a PS2. Heck I got mine only last year after it's already been out for a decade. Great systems for JRPGs and it has an impressive game librarary, so even if they stop making games soon you still have thousands to choose from that were already made.
Rocky32189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Rocky32189
Member since 2007 • 8995 Posts
Of course it's not too late. It doesn't matter whether they are making new games or not because there are already more great games on the system than you'll ever get around to playing.
p00zer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 p00zer

Thanks for all of your replies. What are some games by the way? My current list of games I'm interested in are as follows;

-Persona

-Final Fantasy

-Metal Gear Solid

-God of War (maybe...really doesnt seem like my sort of game, but everybody seems to like it)

-Shadow of the Colossus

-Tales of- games

Am I missing any really good RPG's or other PS2 titles? Thanks.

Gemini_Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Gemini_Red
Member since 2003 • 3290 Posts

Thanks for all of your replies. What are some games by the way? My current list of games I'm interested in are as follows;

-Persona

-Final Fantasy

-Metal Gear Solid

-God of War (maybe...really doesnt seem like my sort of game, but everybody seems to like it)

-Shadow of the Colossus

-Tales of- games

p00zer

Dragon Quest VIII- Old school, but still a good title

Disgaea 1 and 2 if you have even the slightest interest in Strategy RPG's. Tough on beginners, but lots of fun.

Almost anything from the Shin Megami Tensei series: I see you have Persona on your list(good call, but play and finish 3 before starting 4), but if you can find them try the Digital Devil Saga and Nocturne.

From what I have played thus far Ar Tonelico II is pretty good, couldn't tell you about the first one though. That one slipped by me.

Avatar image for whitesoxfan8907
whitesoxfan8907

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#20 whitesoxfan8907
Member since 2004 • 420 Posts

-Persona

-Final Fantasy

-Metal Gear Solid

-Shadow of the Colossus

-Tales of- games

p00zer
definitely Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne and Dragon Quest VIII
PlayBox39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 PlayBox39
Member since 2007 • 420 Posts

Noit's not too late.

It's NEVER to late.

priori191

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#22 priori191
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
Yeah I gues you should
Chiddaling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#23 Chiddaling
Member since 2008 • 9106 Posts
It's never to late :x
Tyson8earzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Tyson8earzz
Member since 2004 • 885 Posts
i got my ps2 slim white version last summer and im still amazed at how huge the ps2 game library is. I mean, there are so many good games for it not to mention the ps2 exclusive games. The games are endless. And best thing, if your ps2 ever breaks, you can keep replacing them with other used ps2 units for dirt cheap for years to come.
Avatar image for coincollector78
coincollector78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 coincollector78
Member since 2008 • 163 Posts
I just got a PS2 a little less than 3 months ago and I love it. It is definatly not to late to get one. I love Sony for supporting two systems at a time. This makes the older console cheaper. I will most likely pick up a PS3 when the PS4 comes out.
MFSofaKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 MFSofaKing
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

-Persona

-Final Fantasy

-Metal Gear Solid

-Shadow of the Colossus

-Tales of- games

p00zer
God of War is truly an amazing game. make sure you get both the MGS's on the PS2 :)
yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#27 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts
There's tons of games to choose from on the PS2, so it's never too late for one. RPGs galore.
Wolf-Chief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Wolf-Chief
Member since 2008 • 2894 Posts
just like everybody said its never too late to get a ps2 and its not i got one two years ago and its still in good shape and about games they're still making great games for the ps2
BuNKiTZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#29 BuNKiTZ
Member since 2007 • 422 Posts
Of Course Not, It's Never Too Late! Well, As Long As You Can Still Find One That Is... And Whether It Still Has Games In Production Or Not, That's Not A Reason For You To Not Buy One, I Mean, The PS2 Is Like, The Greatest Video Game Console Ever! And Seriously, Don't Only Get It Cause Of RPGs, There Are Tons Of Great Games Out There Like Metal Gear Solid. But Yeah, The PS2 Does Have A Lot Of Great RPGs.
CADMAN_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#30 CADMAN_3
Member since 2003 • 1189 Posts
I own a slim black PS2 which I've had for a few years now and I went out and bought a silver PS2 just last year. It's still in the box and it'll stay there until the other craps out. So it's not to late.
coughlanio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#31 coughlanio
Member since 2005 • 4306 Posts
I own a slim black PS2 which I've had for a few years now and I went out and bought a silver PS2 just last year. It's still in the box and it'll stay there until the other craps out. So it's not to late.CADMAN_3
I might actually do that :P One word...an number...Persona 4...enough reason to get a PS2 in my opinion..