This topic is locked from further discussion.

nobledragoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By nobledragoon
Member since 2005 • 39 Posts

Tom - you are an incredibly insightful editor and my favorite here at Gamespot.

Could you please manage to keep your personal views on geo-politics / social issues to yourself? This is a site about games - this is not CNN, MSNBC, the Huffington Post, Fox News, or The Blaze. As a long-time reader / supporter of Gamespot, I am not interested in your assertions that men dominate women or anything of the sort. Let's stick the subject matter, please.

Not to single out Tom - your latest article on the Santa Barbara killings is just the most recent example of a growing trend at Gamespot where editors feel it appropriate to post personal views on social issues.

Best Regards,

Jeremy

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44140 Posts

I don't mind them posting their personal views on these kind of topics. Personally I find it interesting to read them even if I might not agree with them.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#6 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69431 Posts

Its an issue that directly affects gaming so its relevant.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#7 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@nobledragoon said:

Tom - you are an incredibly insightful editor and my favorite here at Gamespot.

Could you please manage to keep your personal views on geo-politics / social issues to yourself? This is a site about games - this is not CNN, MSNBC, the Huffington Post, Fox News, or The Blaze. As a long-time reader / supporter of Gamespot, I am not interested in your assertions that men dominate women or anything of the sort. Let's stick the subject matter, please.

Not to single out Tom - your latest article on the Santa Barbara killings is just the most recent example of a growing trend at Gamespot where editors feel it appropriate to post personal views on social issues.

Best Regards,

Jeremy

If you want to send a message to Tom McShea, the worst place you can go is on the gamespot forums, no one on the paid gamespot staff uses these forums, infact you would probably have a better chance going to NeoGaf and posting it there.

But if you want my advice, i would use a private message option either here on gamespot or on twitter.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#8 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

@Archangel3371 said:

I don't mind them posting their personal views on these kind of topics. Personally I find it interesting to read them even if I might not agree with them.

SovietsUnited

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

#9 SovietsUnited
Member since 2009 • 2457 Posts

It's absolutely despicable and disgusting how writers handle matters after writing articles with the intention of causing comment sh*tstorms. Staying silent while clicks and traffic slowly go up, and only stepping in to replay to an eventual dumb argument. Like the meme guy above said, this is how a tabloid works.

And you really should ignore stuff like this, the only winner in the end is Gamespot.

elkoldo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By elkoldo
Member since 2009 • 1832 Posts

The OP has been around since 2005 and yet it's his very first forum post.It seems like Macshea ,again ,has pissed the hell out of people with personal views.I can't help recalling the last time.

Can anyone prove that Macshea isn't a sadist ?

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts

This must be really important to you to decide to post for the first time since you joined in 2005.

Muffin2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By Muffin2020
Member since 2013 • 534 Posts

@Archangel3371 said:

Yer but some moron would link it to a review they disliked and try and draw some half baked conclusion.

digitaldame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By digitaldame
Member since 2006 • 5401 Posts

@Jacanuk said:

No one on the paid gamespot staff uses these forums.

Not totally true. I just lurk a lot.

187umKILLAH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15  Edited By 187umKILLAH
Member since 2010 • 1414 Posts

Opinions, deal with it.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#17  Edited By Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69431 Posts

@DigitalDame said:

@Jacanuk said:

Obviously you are not a gamespot stagg. :P

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

I really don't mind to be frank, I'd agree that the portrayal of female character in videogames should get better and will over time. I do disagree with the assailants motives being a result of the portrayal of women on the basis that he's been in therapy throughout his teenage.

But regardless whether I agree or not, I'm not going to say he can't voice his opinion.

Lucky_Krystal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By Lucky_Krystal
Member since 2011 • 1390 Posts
@Archangel3371 said:

Same here. I usually like it, but if its ever on a topic I don't care about, I'll just ignore it. Its that simple.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Jacanuk

@DigitalDame said:

@Jacanuk said:

hehe ok you post :D but you are also the only one who ever bothers to post here once in awhile.

blamix99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By blamix99
Member since 2011 • 2685 Posts

this thread sounds girly,

Old_Gooseberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#22  Edited By Old_Gooseberry
Member since 2002 • 3958 Posts

does CNN website have a forum? if not then i think tom is needed here to keep us all informed on politics.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

#23 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@nobledragoon: I couldn't agree more, you could have added Carolyn Petit aswell tbh

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#24  Edited By Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

I've only had one person from the staff respond to me about a game and that was Chris Watters on the Bourne videogame a long while back. That's the only interaction I've had on here with any of the staff members.

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 El_Zo1212o
Member since 2009 • 6057 Posts

@Metamania: I actually liked the Bourne Conspiracy.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 The_Last_Ride

@Metamania said:

I've only had one person from the staff respond to me about a game and that was Chris Watters on the Bourne videogame a long while back. That's the only interaction I've had on here with any of the staff members.

I haven't seen anyone EVER. I've been here almost a decade now. That's saying something

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Jacanuk

@Metamania said:

I have had a few more with some staff, Kevin, Carolyn, Danny and some of the old gamespot uk staff before they got put in the background.

But its always in the comments sections to their reviews or videos and of course on Twitter, you can always count on them responding there if you are sober.

Which makes it even more strange they dont even use their own forums.

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#28 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts

yes, because video games exist in their own bubble that is completely separate from everything else in the world.

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#29  Edited By Behardy24
Member since 2014 • 5324 Posts

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Metamania said:

I haven't seen anyone EVER. I've been here almost a decade now. That's saying something

Daniel Hines, the new AU editor of GameSpot replied to a funny Youtube comment I made on a video he did. I also got my question and my name announced on one episode of The Lobby. (The one where Kevin played ESO). It made me feel buttery inside. :D

Netret0120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#30 Netret0120
Member since 2013 • 3594 Posts

@speedfreak48t5p said:

@Archangel3371 said:

@johnd13 said:

This must be really important to you to decide to post for the first time since you joined in 2005.

I thought I was the only one who noticed that lol

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Metamania

@El_Zo1212o said:

@Metamania: I actually liked the Bourne Conspiracy.

If I ever played it, I think I would have liked it too, since I'm a fan of the movies. Saw the video review of it on Gamespot and it looked great, except for the cover system.

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Metamania

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Metamania said:

Yeah, I've been here longer than you have (twelve years) and I haven't seen much interactions from the Gamespot editors either. Most of the time they lurk (as proven earlier in this thread) or they rarely post, which is far and few between. I've yet to see people like Carolyn or Tom respond to criticism about their own reviews or anyone like Kevin or Chris respond to a question, anything like that, in a long time now. It's strange...these are their forums and they should be more talkative in order to engage with the fans. Unfortunately, they haven't done so and prefer to do it at a distance without getting involved.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 The_Last_Ride

@behardy24 said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Metamania said:

Daniel Hines, the new AU editor of GameSpot replied to a funny Youtube comment I made on a video he did. I also got my question and my name announced on one episode of The Lobby. (The one where Kevin played ESO). It made me feel buttery inside. :D

i got a question in on the main show here on gamespot during E3, but the host got the question wrong and he was a douche bag. Glad he's gone now though.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By johnd13

@behardy24 said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Metamania said:

What's your Twitch username(assuming they announced you from the Twitch chat and not the GS one)? I frequently catch their streams and lobby episodes so we might have stumbled into each other a couple of times.

I've got no complaints in terms of communicating with the staff. They replied a few times to my comments in GS articles, videos etc over the years and answered my questions and voiced my chat posts many times in Twitch streams. When it comes to GS forums though, yeah they're pretty distant.

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Behardy24

@johnd13 said:

@behardy24 said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Metamania said:

What's your Twitch username(assuming they announced you from the Twitch chat and not the GS one)? I frequently catch their streams and lobby episodes so we might have stumbled into each other a couple of times.

I've got no complaints in terms of communicating with the staff. They replied a few times to my comments in GS articles, videos etc over the years and answered my questions and voiced my chat posts many times in Twitch streams. When it comes to GS forums though, yeah they're pretty distant.

My Twitch username is Behardy. I haven't catch any of their stream in a little while because I often forget they are going on, so I just find myself watching an archive. Hopefully I'll start remembering when they stream. What's yours? If I see you during a livestream, I'll give a holler. :P

My theory on why they don't use the forums is probably a time constraint. With them working constantly getting videos and articles out there, they probably don't have time to sit down and chat through the forums. By the time they're done with work and heading home, the last thing they want to do is go on the internet. Just a guess though.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 johnd13

@behardy24 said:

@johnd13 said:

@behardy24 said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Metamania said:

My Twitch username is Behardy. I haven't catch any of their stream in a little while because I often forget they are going on, so I just find myself watching an archive. Hopefully I'll start remembering when they stream. What's yours? If I see you during a livestream, I'll give a holler. :P

My theory on why they don't use the forums is probably a time constraint. With them working constantly getting videos and articles out there, they probably don't have time to sit down and chat through the forums. By the time they're done with work and heading home, the last thing they want to do is go on the internet. Just a guess though.

My username there is the same as here(Johnd13). Sure, c ya there sometime. :P

I can understand their limited time like you said. They're probably neck-deep in video games all the time, they must want some time off as well. But staying close to your community is very important, I don't think it's that time-consuming to post in a couple of threads in the forums once in a while.

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Behardy24

@johnd13 said:

@behardy24 said:

@johnd13 said:

@behardy24 said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Metamania said:

I can understand their limited time like you said. They're probably neck-deep in video games all the time, they must want some time off as well. But staying close to your community is very important, I don't think it's that time-consuming to post in a couple of threads in the forums once in a while.

I agree that keeping up with your community is essential for keeping your website alive

On another topic, I was watching Kevin's WildStar stream and some GS people were in the Twitch chat saying that they currently developing a GameSpot Chat. Supposedly, it would work the same way GiantBomb's chat works. All details haven't been shared yet though.

http://www.giantbomb.com/chat/

http://www.gamespot.com/chat/

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By johnd13

@behardy24 said:

@johnd13 said:

@behardy24 said:

@johnd13 said:

@behardy24 said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Metamania said:

I agree that keeping up with your community is essential for keeping your website alive

On another topic, I was watching Kevin's WildStar stream and some GS people were in the Twitch chat saying that they currently developing a GameSpot Chat. Supposedly, it would work the same way GiantBomb's chat works. All details haven't been shared yet though.

Yeah they've been making tests for some time now. I wouldn't mind watching the streams on GS but they generally seem to pay more attention to the Twitch chat which was initially the reason I signed up there. We'll just have to see if that will change with the new GameSpot chat.

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Behardy24

@johnd13 said:

@behardy24 said:

@johnd13 said:

@behardy24 said:

@johnd13 said:

@behardy24 said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Metamania said:

Yeah they've been making tests for some time now. I wouldn't mind watching the streams on GS but they generally seem to pay more attention to the Twitch chat which was initially the reason I signed up there. We'll just have to see if that will change with the new GameSpot chat.

I too, wouldn't mind watching the streams on GameSpot. I would especially enjoy watching it on GS if the layout was the same as GiantBomb's since you can customize the video and chat. Also, I hope they add emoticons to their own chat. Hopefully the chat focus will shift to here on this website, or maybe GS users have first chances at winning prizes compare to Twitch users.

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Metamania

At least Gamespot has the decency to take questions for those Q&A sessions they have with upcoming videogames and bring them up when they talk about it in the videos.

Threesixtyci

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Threesixtyci
Member since 2006 • 4451 Posts

You know.... that Santa Barbara killer looked a lot like the dude in Persona 4? Wonder why Shea didn't comment on that?

http://megamitensei.wikia.com/wiki/Mitsuo_Kubo.