To those who want to know, here's the real reason why there's no Chrono sequel

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts

In the recent EGM, there was a letter that was answered that asked about why Square-Enix isn't making a sequel to the Chrono games.

It says:

In a interview early this year with Jeux-France, Chrono Cross producer Hiromichi Tanaka said, "It's very difficult to be able to reunite the original team...if we don't try to reunite these people but take other people instead, we will find ourselves with a game that will feel very different...and we would possibly lose the Chrono spirit." EGM continues with this sneer remark: "Hey at least they're not milking it!"

I'm sure there are many who'll say, "I don't give a hoot if the original team is making it or not, just make a damn new Chrono game, Square-Enix :evil: !" And maybe there are some fans out there who would prefer the original team and no one else.

Well, that's the official answer to all those who were wondering why there wasn't another Chrono game after all this time. I'm probably sure there's much more that went on behind the scenes hidden from the public...I hear they had a huge argument and things like that...but that's the best answer we will get from one of the head honchos behind the games.

Oh well... :(

EmilioDigsIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 EmilioDigsIt
Member since 2005 • 4391 Posts

Hey, at least they're not milking it, right?

RIGHT?

_Tobli_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 _Tobli_
Member since 2007 • 5733 Posts

RIGHT?

EmilioDigsIt

They're too busy milking FFVII

pandorax1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 pandorax1
Member since 2006 • 373 Posts
Hmmm, interesting, although it doesnt stop me wanting a sequel to the Chrono games.
trick6952

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 trick6952
Member since 2005 • 1488 Posts
I know I've read that in my EGM but if they could make some kind of sequel it would be better than nothing
Avatar image for Video_Game_King
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#6 Video_Game_King
Member since 2003 • 27545 Posts
[QUOTE="EmilioDigsIt"]

RIGHT?

_Tobli_

Not yet. As soon as they make that FF7 remake, THEN they're milking it. However, I think they'll do that when they make FF8 for the PS2 and FF6 for the N64.

OneWingedAngeI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 OneWingedAngeI
Member since 2003 • 9448 Posts
[QUOTE="_Tobli_"][QUOTE="EmilioDigsIt"]

RIGHT?

Video_Game_King

Not yet. As soon as they make that FF7 remake, THEN they're milking it. However, I think they'll do that when they make FF8 for the PS2 and FF6 for the N64.

FF7 is the only thing they actually should have remade, on the ps3. none of the other side game crap. and secret of mana/chrono trigger on the DS

_Tobli_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 _Tobli_

FF7 is the only thing they actually should have remade, on the ps3. none of the other side game crap. and secret of mana/chrono trigger on the DSOneWingedAngeI

I will never understand why people would want this. There is no way a remake could turn out well.

MarcusAntonius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 MarcusAntonius
Member since 2004 • 15667 Posts
[QUOTE="Video_Game_King"][QUOTE="_Tobli_"][QUOTE="EmilioDigsIt"]

RIGHT?

OneWingedAngeI

FF7 is the only thing they actually should have remade, on the ps3. none of the other side game crap. and secret of mana/chrono trigger on the DS

I'd have to disagree. FF VII doesn't warrant a remake, at all. The only FF game that even remotely deserves a remake is VI. I'd rather not see any remake myself (well, maybe Tactics perhaps) and instead have SE come out with another Chrono game, one that makes up for the disappointing Chrono Cross.

MarcusAntonius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 MarcusAntonius

[QUOTE="OneWingedAngeI"]FF7 is the only thing they actually should have remade, on the ps3. none of the other side game crap. and secret of mana/chrono trigger on the DS_Tobli_

I will never understand why people would want this. There is no way a remake could turn out well.

You don't understand the cult of FF VII very well, do you?;)

_Tobli_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 _Tobli_
[QUOTE="_Tobli_"]

[QUOTE="OneWingedAngeI"]FF7 is the only thing they actually should have remade, on the ps3. none of the other side game crap. and secret of mana/chrono trigger on the DSMarcusAntonius

Naah. I prefer FFIX *puts up epic fantasy flame shield*

Edit: FFIX not FFXI :?

Avatar image for AtomicTangerine
AtomicTangerine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 AtomicTangerine
Member since 2005 • 4413 Posts
[QUOTE="_Tobli_"]

[QUOTE="OneWingedAngeI"]FF7 is the only thing they actually should have remade, on the ps3. none of the other side game crap. and secret of mana/chrono trigger on the DSMarcusAntonius

It's totally true. The thing is, that game doesn't have to turn out well to sell millions. Dirge of Cerebus and Advent Children proved mediocre products with Final Fantasy 7 in the title means big sales. Odder still, if you look up the user reviews, many fans actually LIKED that stuff!

CooVee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 CooVee
Member since 2005 • 2161 Posts

[QUOTE="OneWingedAngeI"]FF7 is the only thing they actually should have remade, on the ps3. none of the other side game crap. and secret of mana/chrono trigger on the DS_Tobli_

Well Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes was a remake of the original Metal Gear Solid and it turned out pretty well. I don't see how the same couldn't be done with FF7.
erawsd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 erawsd
Member since 2002 • 6930 Posts
[QUOTE="_Tobli_"]

[QUOTE="OneWingedAngeI"]FF7 is the only thing they actually should have remade, on the ps3. none of the other side game crap. and secret of mana/chrono trigger on the DSCooVee

Well Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes was a remake of the original Metal Gear Solid and it turned out pretty well. I don't see how the same couldn't be done with FF7.

The MGS remake was pointless, and so would a FF7 remake.

MarcusAntonius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 MarcusAntonius
[QUOTE="_Tobli_"]

[QUOTE="OneWingedAngeI"]FF7 is the only thing they actually should have remade, on the ps3. none of the other side game crap. and secret of mana/chrono trigger on the DSCooVee

We'll have to agree to disagree on that. Twin Snakes totally butchered MGS, the voice acting and additional content for Twin Snakes turned MGS into an unintentional comedy.

TriangleHard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#16 TriangleHard
Member since 2005 • 9097 Posts

In the recent EGM, there was a letter that was answered that asked about why Square-Enix isn't making a sequel to the Chrono games.

It says:

In a interview early this year with Jeux-France, Chrono Cross producer Hiromichi Tanaka said, "It's very difficult to be able to reunite the original team...if we don't try to reunite these people but take other people instead, we will find ourselves with a game that will feel very different...and we would possibly lose the Chrono spirit." EGM continues with this sneer remark: "Hey at least they're not milking it!"

I'm sure there are many who'll say, "I don't give a hoot if the original team is making it or not, just make a damn new Chrono game, Square-Enix :evil: !" And maybe there are some fans out there who would prefer the original team and no one else.

Well, that's the official answer to all those who were wondering why there wasn't another Chrono game after all this time. I'm probably sure there's much more that went on behind the scenes hidden from the public...I hear they had a huge argument and things like that...but that's the best answer we will get from one of the head honchos behind the games.

Oh well... :(

ASK_Story

Chrono Cross didn't have original Chrono Trigger team, and Chrono Cross ended up feeling VERY different from Chrono Trigger. The game was still fine.

I'd say it is a lame excuse.

Boomarley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#17 Boomarley
Member since 2006 • 897 Posts
[QUOTE="Video_Game_King"][QUOTE="_Tobli_"][QUOTE="EmilioDigsIt"]

RIGHT?

OneWingedAngeI

If they don't balance it out by remaking FFVIII and FFIX as well, then they are definitely milking FFVII.

FlaminDeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 FlaminDeath
Member since 2004 • 4181 Posts
I just wish they would re release it cause i missed it the first time around
erawsd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 erawsd

Chrono Cross didn't have original Chrono Trigger team, and Chrono Cross ended up feeling VERY different from Chrono Trigger. The game was still fine.

TriangleHard

I don't think you can have a better excuse. If Square doesn't want to make a sequel because they don't think they can do the series justice, then they shouldn't be trying to make one.

TriangleHard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 TriangleHard
[QUOTE="TriangleHard"]

H3LLRaiseR

I don't think you can have a better excuse. If Square doesn't want to make a sequel because they don't think they can do the series justice, then they shouldn't be trying to make one.

Many Final Fantasy games don't have the same team and they still make the sequel. How do you justify that? Shouldn't they stop making Final Fantasy games too if their excuse is about having same team?

At least if they invest more on Chrono series, then we would have two franchise provided by the company and two franchise does have very different element to one and another. Chrono series even if it felt different from the first game, still had that Chrono element that really was refreshing after so many Final Fantasies.

It is just lame excuse from Square because they want to use their dominant and most well known franchise name because it is cheaper in terms of marketing, since the marketing is already done over many number of years. Chrono series are more of cult based. It doesn't have wide audience as Final Fantasy which is why it is being ignored, and sales wouldn't be as secure as Final Fantasy series. Also because Chrono series does have it's reputation of being great, high production value would be needed or the company would take a hit in their image, meaning large amount of money needs to be invested while the expectation of profit is much lower than Final Fantasy franchise, which is why they are avoiding Chrono series. That's the real reason.

erawsd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 erawsd
[QUOTE="H3LLRaiseR"][QUOTE="TriangleHard"]

TriangleHard

Many Final Fantasy games don't have the same team and they still make the sequel. How do you justify that? Shouldn't they stop making Final Fantasy games too if their excuse is about having same team?

At least if they invest more on Chrono series, then we would have two franchise provided by the company and two franchise does have very different element to one and another. Chrono series even if it felt different from the first game, still had that Chrono element that really was refreshing after so many Final Fantasies.

It is just lame excuse from Square because they want to use their dominant and most well known franchise name because it is cheaper in terms of marketing, since the marketing is already done over many number of years. Chrono series are more of cult based. It doesn't have wide audience as Final Fantasy which is why it is being ignored, and sales wouldn't be as secure as Final Fantasy series. Also because Chrono series does have it's reputation of being great, high production value would be needed or the company would take a hit in their image, meaning large amount of money needs to be invested while the expectation of profit is much lower than Final Fantasy franchise, which is why they are avoiding Chrono series. That's the real reason.

You've justified it yourself. Square needs Final Fantasy, its the series that kept them from going bankrupt 20 years ago and thats still essentially true today. I honestly don't care what the reason is, if Square doesn't want to make it, I don't want them to. I'm a huge fan of Chrono Tigger, and I don't want to see the series dragged through the mud. If they force out a sequel, then it likely won't be worth playing anyway.

Special_K411

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22 Special_K411
Member since 2004 • 5521 Posts
I can accept that, I suppose. That doesn't mean I'm craving a sequel any less, though. :D
TriangleHard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 TriangleHard
[QUOTE="TriangleHard"][QUOTE="H3LLRaiseR"]

H3LLRaiseR

You've justified it yourself. Square needs Final Fantasy, its the series that kept them from going bankrupt 20 years ago and thats still essentially true today. I honestly don't care what the reason is, if Square doesn't want to make it, I don't want them to. I'm a huge fan of Chrono Tigger, and I don't want to see the series dragged through the mud. If they force out a sequel, then it likely won't be worth playing anyway.

I just find it unfortunate that Square cannot handle 2 main franchise at once.

They had 2 potential huge franchise with Mana series and Chrono series. If Square was smart, they would've expanded that series into something big like how Blizzard did using Starcraft, Warcraft, and Diablo. In the end Square proved that one venture was dangerous enough for their company (Spirits Within)

Using Final Fantasy name excessively is good financially in short term, but in the long term it is really bad move. Until recently, Final Fantasy was more than well respected franchise but ever since PS2 days people are talking about Square milking the franchise and they aren't wrong. They ARE milking the franchise and already the company and franchise image is starting to get tainted with huge number of side Final Fantasies and re-releases.

Square has more games than just Final Fantasies but they aren't utilizing it. They finally announced something else besides Final Fantasy with The Last Remnant, but that's one original title out of 10 Final Fantasies or so that's been announced.

To simply put, they are cheapening Final Fantasy franchise.

If they strongly pushed Chrono series and Mana series instead of trying to make quick dollars with low budget effort, they would've been able to keep things more fresh by rotating their franchise. At least Enix side of the company is trying to establish something else besides Dragon Quest by giving legitimate effort into Valkyrie Profile and Star Ocean (although both are made by Tri-Ace)

I'm just really disappointed with Square. I thought they merged with Enix to be more aggressive, but they are making passive moves. If Square milks Final Fantasy franchise too much, before we know it, it will be like Sonic.

As fan of Chrono and as fan of the company for all the great work they have done, I hope they focus more this franchise. It will be slow process to make it into mainstream franchise, but the effort must be made. Square can't just rely on 10 year old marketing investment made by Sony to keep their company going.

joeamis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 joeamis
Member since 2003 • 3010 Posts
I agree with both of trianglehard's comments. They should definitely make a Chrono sequel, separate teams didn't stop them from making more Final Fantasies, I guess Chrono 3 couldn't be related to the first though but that is okay. I don't even care if it turned out bad, well I do, but still it would be more intesting than nothing at all. The current president seems to want to milk FF until he jumps ship...
erawsd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 erawsd
[QUOTE="H3LLRaiseR"][QUOTE="TriangleHard"][QUOTE="H3LLRaiseR"]

TriangleHard

I just find it unfortunate that Square cannot handle 2 main franchise at once.

They had 2 potential huge franchise with Mana series and Chrono series. If Square was smart, they would've expanded that series into something big like how Blizzard did using Starcraft, Warcraft, and Diablo. In the end Square proved that one venture was dangerous enough for their company (Spirits Within)

Using Final Fantasy name excessively is good financially in short term, but in the long term it is really bad move. Until recently, Final Fantasy was more than well respected franchise but ever since PS2 days people are talking about Square milking the franchise and they aren't wrong. They ARE milking the franchise and already the company and franchise image is starting to get tainted with huge number of side Final Fantasies and re-releases.

Square has more games than just Final Fantasies but they aren't utilizing it. They finally announced something else besides Final Fantasy with The Last Remnant, but that's one original title out of 10 Final Fantasies or so that's been announced.

To simply put, they are cheapening Final Fantasy franchise.

If they strongly pushed Chrono series and Mana series instead of trying to make quick dollars with low budget effort, they would've been able to keep things more fresh by rotating their franchise. At least Enix side of the company is trying to establish something else besides Dragon Quest by giving legitimate effort into Valkyrie Profile and Star Ocean (although both are made by Tri-Ace)

I'm just really disappointed with Square. I thought they merged with Enix to be more aggressive, but they are making passive moves. If Square milks Final Fantasy franchise too much, before we know it, it will be like Sonic.

As fan of Chrono and as fan of the company for all the great work they have done, I hope they focus more this franchise. It will be slow process to make it into mainstream franchise, but the effort must be made. Square can't just rely on 10 year old marketing investment made by Sony to keep their company going.

I agree that Square does not have a very smart business model. Theres too much reliance on the Final Fantasy name, which has been bleeding in popularity for the last 5 years. A lot of those side games could easily have been new IPs. Likewise, I don't want them to cheapen the Chrono franchise. If they're going to make a Chrono game that doesn't have the "Chrono spirit", then I'd rather it be something else.

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts

If Square-Enix continued to dish out Chrono sequels after another since the second one, would it have grown into one of their top successful franchises in line with FF and Kingdom Hearts?

I don't know about that. It's very hard to say. It might've end up like Star Ocean or Valkaryie Profile, but I highly doubt we'd have seen stuff like Chrono Tactics, Chrono Chain of Memories, Chrono Fables Robo Tales, or Chrono Chronicles: the Adventures of Frog.

Oh well, at least they're not making a cell-phone game starring Kid and the Magical Dreamers. :roll:

joeamis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 joeamis
Member since 2003 • 3010 Posts

If Square-Enix continued to dish out Chrono sequels after another since the second one, would it have grown into one of their top successful franchises in line with FF and Kingdom Hearts?

I don't know about that. It's very hard to say. It might've end up like Star Ocean or Valkaryie Profile, but I highly doubt we'd have seen stuff like Chrono Tactics, Chrono Chain of Memories, Chrono Fables Robo Tales, or Chrono Chronicles: the Adventures of Frog.

Oh well, at least they're not making a cell-phone game starring Kid and the Magical Dreamers. :roll:

ASK_Story

Chrono Tactics would be amazing. I think we have a new dream game that everyone is going to want.

OneWingedAngeI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 OneWingedAngeI
[QUOTE="OneWingedAngeI"][QUOTE="Video_Game_King"][QUOTE="_Tobli_"][QUOTE="EmilioDigsIt"]

RIGHT?

MarcusAntonius

I'd have to disagree. FF VII doesn't warrant a remake, at all. The only FF game that even remotely deserves a remake is VI. I'd rather not see any remake myself (well, maybe Tactics perhaps) and instead have SE come out with another Chrono game, one that makes up for the disappointing Chrono Cross.

i should have been more clear. what i meant was, in doing anything else with 7, they should have only remade it if anything, not had all these weird side things. at least thats how i feel.

i do believe 6 warrants a remake more, simply because its older, and people playing today... well more of them havent gotten to play 6 than 7, and a remake would definately make an old title more tolerable.

but i do disagree that VII doesnt deserve a remake at all. its the most popular in the series and it really should get one some day.

OneWingedAngeI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 OneWingedAngeI
in regard to the chrono series, i would be quick to say just make a new game already, a new game is better than nothing. then i look at what they did to the mana franchise... :(