To all Walking Dead fans who hate Metal Gear games

This topic is locked from further discussion.

HipHopBeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#1 HipHopBeats
Member since 2011 • 2850 Posts

Guess what? You just played and praised an interactive movie! Granted, The Walking Dead is a great game mind you, but how can you continue to down games like Metal Gear Solid when you just finished playing a 5 episode point and click adventure?

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19563 Posts
The Walking Dead never claimed to be anything more than an interactive movie (or, more accurately, a simple adventure game). It does what it does very well. Meanwhile, MGS (particularly 4, from what I hear of it) attempts to be both a movie and a stealth/action game, interrupting the gameplay every so often to throw half-hour cutscenes at you. I'm guessing that would be much more annoying than just having a pure stealth game or interactive movie separately.
Lulekani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Lulekani
Member since 2012 • 2318 Posts
Both of those games are movie wana'be's.
Duckyindiana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Duckyindiana
Member since 2006 • 3040 Posts
The big difference is that the walking dead has a great story, MGS comes off as a really poor soap opera!
Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#5 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts
The big difference is that the walking dead has a great story, MGS comes off as a really poor soap opera!Duckyindiana
HAHAHAHA! :lol:
Avatar image for GreekGameManiac
GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 GreekGameManiac
Member since 2010 • 6439 Posts

Lol?

What's this i don't even....

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
the problem with MGS4 was that its cutscenes (which aren't interactive) take up half of its 20-hour gameplay time. Some of the cutscene direction was just downright awful. a lot of scenes dragged a lot longer than it was suppose to be. 90% of the story was told through (mostly average to mediocre) dialogues, something that is probably the worst storytelling technique in a audio-visual medium. And story is awful for the most part. MGS4 is jokingly called interactive movie. The fact is, it's embarrassingly bad at being an interactive movie. MGS4 is freaking amazing when you skip all the cutscenes, however.
JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

the problem with MGS4 was that its cutscenes (which aren't interactive) take up half of its 20-hour gameplay time. Some of the cutscene direction was just downright awful. a lot of scenes dragged a lot longer than it was suppose to be. 90% of the story was told through (mostly average to mediocre) dialogues, something that is probably the worst storytelling technique in a audio-visual medium. And story is awful for the most part. MGS4 is jokingly called interactive movie. The fact is, it's embarrassingly bad at being an interactive movie. MGS4 is freaking amazing when you skip all the cutscenes, however.funsohng

I don't know...I thought the game got kinda bad once you reached the third act.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#9 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14414 Posts

I have nothing against MGS for being very cinematic.

I just hate stealth games.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44100 Posts
I haven't played anywhere near enough of The Walking Dead to pass judgement on it yet. What very little I have played hasn't really impressed me at all but I hear it does get better so...... Metal Gear Solid though are games that I absolutely love with MGS4 being my favourite. The lengthy cut-scenes didn't bother me at all in fact I ate them up and enjoyed every minute of them. I totally love the crazy stories in the MGS games and it's the main reason I play them. Of course it doesn't hurt that they also have excellent gameplay as well.
MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

WHAT, This is the most idiotic, most asinine, worst comparison in the history of video game posts I have ever seen in my life.

You are comparing a game with practically no gameplay, The Walking Dead with one of the most interactive, full of gameplay choices, boss battles, player options, absolute masterpiece in game design in MGS. They are not comparable in any way except that they both tell stories, well almost all games do that so there is no point in comparing the two.

dvader654
The difference is that TWD has a story that's sensible and well written. MGS' is absurd and convoluted beyond degree.
Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#13 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts
[QUOTE="dvader654"]

WHAT, This is the most idiotic, most asinine, worst comparison in the history of video game posts I have ever seen in my life.

You are comparing a game with practically no gameplay, The Walking Dead with one of the most interactive, full of gameplay choices, boss battles, player options, absolute masterpiece in game design in MGS. They are not comparable in any way except that they both tell stories, well almost all games do that so there is no point in comparing the two.

MirkoS77
The difference is that TWD has a story that's sensible and well written. MGS' is absurd and convoluted beyond degree.

TWD doesn't have a story, TWD has decent characters. The basic outline of any TWD plot (comic, show or game) is "Zombies, let's run. Ok, we should be safe in this prison/church/train/fuel station. Oh no, bad people want to take our canned beans, let's fight them. Oh no, zombies, let's run." It's the characters who pull the cart, the plot is virtually nonexistent.
JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

[QUOTE="MirkoS77"][QUOTE="dvader654"]

dvader654

If all you care about is story, but this is a gaming forum. MGS is a full game. Walking Dead is more interactive movie. They dont compare.

The Walking Dead is an adventure game.

Justin_G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Justin_G
Member since 2004 • 202 Posts

dvader654
i think the thread was a rhetorical postulation about how people judge games unfairly based on their biases.
AzelKosMos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#17 AzelKosMos
Member since 2005 • 34194 Posts

Guess what? You just played and praised an interactive movie! Granted, The Walking Dead is a great game mind you, but how can you continue to down games like Metal Gear Solid when you just finished playing a 5 episode point and click adventure?

HipHopBeats

The difference is that the walking dead was agood interactive movie ;)

GeoffZak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 GeoffZak
Member since 2007 • 3715 Posts

I feel as though the Metal Gear Solid series have a lot more interaction than the Walking Dead games anyway.

HipHopBeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#21 HipHopBeats
Member since 2011 • 2850 Posts

[QUOTE="dvader654"]

Justin_G

i think the thread was a rhetorical postulation about how people judge games unfairly based on their biases.

Exactly. both games are good imo for different reasons. Most Metal Gear haters bash it for being 'cutscene lenghty' and not enough gameplay. As good as The Walking Dead is, it's basically making quick choices, walking around looking for key items and QTE pop ups with even less gameplay than Metal Gear.

Both games focus on watching a complex story unravel with no way for the player to alter the outcome. The Walking Dead gives the illusion of choice where you can keep a character alive a little longer, but in the end everything still plays out the same.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

[QUOTE="MirkoS77"][QUOTE="dvader654"]

dvader654

If all you care about is story, but this is a gaming forum. MGS is a full game. Walking Dead is more interactive movie. They dont compare.

Yet you compare and criticize Journey because it doesn't fit or expand upon the traditional conventions of gaming. How can you compare Journey to all others, yet not TWD to MGS4?

Avatar image for Shame-usBlackley
Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#23 Shame-usBlackley
Member since 2002 • 18266 Posts

I haven't played Episode V of the Walking Dead game yet, but I am going to go out on a limb and say that it isn't going to retcon its entire story arc and use nanomachines to try and explain everything.

Some of us were Metal Gear fans (big ones) until we played the narrative shltstorm that was MGS4. I have no issues with the series from a mechanical perspective, and two of the four canon titles are among my twenty games of all time (with Snake Eater) holding the top slot, so I can't say I hate the series, just what MGS4's story did to it.

Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#25 Articuno76
Member since 2004 • 19799 Posts

The Walking Dead leaves you constantly engaged, and active; you have to make choices all the time, sometimes thinking on your feet. In MGS you can literally put the controller down and walk away and it wouldn't make a difference. Sure they are both quite passive experiences, but MGS is completely passive. Putting them together like that doesn't really make sense.

The short version is MGS has actual cutscenes where you have control completly taken from you. In comparison TWD has very few genuine cutscenes...or loads of really short ones depending on how you look at it.