Titanfall: A New Era for Multiplayer Shooters?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Malakhor9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 Malakhor9000
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

I'm as excited for how fun Titanfall is as for what it means for the genre going forward.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2xg7UK7wGU&feature=youtu.be

Thoughts?

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

Wouldn't be the first time the Respawn guys changed the nature of competitive multiplayer. Maybe giant robots (Yay!) and bots (Boo! Hiss!) will become a regular occurrence in competitive multiplayer games.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44129 Posts

Yeah I think so. This game is really fantastic and I'm guessing that it'll set the tone for this gen. I believe the verticality and pace of the gameplay are the biggest influencers of the game. The only other game that I think will influence this gen as much as Titanfall will probably be Destiny.

Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#5 Starshine_M2A2
Member since 2006 • 5593 Posts

No. As addictive as it is and as hard as it tried to distance itself from Call of Duty, it still doesn't reinvent the genre in any meaningful or memorable way. Instead it has a lot of ideas that might work better if fully realised or fleshed out. The persistent story progression, for example, should have been more than a small video at the top corner of the screen.

yixingtpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By yixingtpot
Member since 2005 • 1484 Posts

mechs that can be destroyed by a jumping dude with a pistol, sure a new era of Microsoft BS.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19c359a3789
deactivated-5b19c359a3789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-5b19c359a3789
Member since 2002 • 7785 Posts

Modern shooters are still trying to catch up to Quake. It's actually weird to watch.

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#8 mjorh
Member since 2011 • 6749 Posts

We gotta face the reality here ...there is no "New Era" in this genre .....

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Call me when this "new era" includes a universal shift in player behavior for the better. Until then I'll stick with offline/SP campaign shooters.

bowchicka07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#10 bowchicka07
Member since 2013 • 1104 Posts

I will probably play Destiny and ESO before even trying Titanfall.

Any game that earns the new praise of "A New Era" will be a must-play game and Titanfall just isn't one.

I'm curious to see how it runs and if there is any strategy but it honestly didn't change much from what I've read and the good ole word on the street.

I heard you can prestige on the game. Come on. You really couldn't think of anything else?

Maybe I'm just biased against MP shooters now. I never feel any sense of progression or accomplishment towards them anymore.

HipHopBeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#11 HipHopBeats
Member since 2011 • 2850 Posts

I don't see how wall jumps and mechs translate to a new era in FPS multiplayer. I'm more interested in seeing what Destiny will bring to the table.

jamesb119

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 jamesb119
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

i would hope that on Titanfall people will actually turnaround and say that they want to be able to have an optional DLC so they can customise their titans, pilots and even customise maps. The main thing is i think they should allow players to play offline as well as online, just in case they can't exactly afford xbox GOLD or stuff like that. Either way it looks like a good game but it could use some customisable alterations.

kingcrimson24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#13 kingcrimson24
Member since 2012 • 824 Posts

no Doubt that it Brought new ideas to the Genre . but no . it's not a new era .

hellangel_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14 hellangel_boy
Member since 2007 • 180 Posts

I like Respwan guys, and wanted to support them, but when they decided to release Titanfall on PC and Xbox only, I couldn't buy the game because I only have a PS3, and don't game that much on PC. I ,frankly, don't like EA either. Anyway, I think Titanfall is fun, but I don't want for mechs to become the trend of this gen, every dev should try something new, that what happened with COD4 last gen, it was a great game, and started the killstreak thing, and all of a sudden, all other games want to be just like it, and that really killed much of the innovation last-gen. Respawn guys came with somehow new idea, and focus on it, I wish every dev would do the same so we could have variety of ideas, rather than a multiple copies of the same idea.

IndianaPwns39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#15 IndianaPwns39
Member since 2008 • 5037 Posts

@syztem said:

Modern shooters are still trying to catch up to Quake. It's actually weird to watch.

Right? The parkour, jet packs, and mechs all look like a lot of fun but I was doing crazier stuff than that during the Quake/Unreal era.

It's almost like we're watching developers come up with crazier ideas as the tech allows them to, but we've already done this stuff years and years ago.

SteXmaN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#16  Edited By SteXmaN
Member since 2012 • 550 Posts

Nope,not even close. I enjoy it,it is a good game but nothing revolutionary really.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19c359a3789
deactivated-5b19c359a3789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By deactivated-5b19c359a3789
Member since 2002 • 7785 Posts

@IndianaPwns39 said:

@syztem said:

Right? The parkour, jet packs, and mechs all look like a lot of fun but I was doing crazier stuff than that during the Quake/Unreal era.

It's almost like we're watching developers come up with crazier ideas as the tech allows them to, but we've already done this stuff years and years ago.

Seems like they're trying to figure out how to make Quake/UT/Tribes work on a controller... I don't think it's going to work.

Shooters have reached their ceiling as long as consoles are the dominant platform.