Tips on NES collecting

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Fujiewaranosai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Fujiewaranosai
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
Just wondering if anyone can give me some tips on the best way to look for NES games(hopefully in a lot). Craigslist is slow right now where I live.
kittensRjerks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 kittensRjerks
Member since 2010 • 3802 Posts

Here's a list of places that may help you.

List

Dudersaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: -3

#3 Dudersaper
Member since 2007 • 32952 Posts
Buy mine, I don't want them.
Shenmue_Jehuty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 Shenmue_Jehuty
Member since 2007 • 5211 Posts

There are two way you can collect:

1. Ebay, Amazon and used game stores

-they will have an awesome selection and a lot of the games you are looking for, but that convenience comes at a price, a high one at that. You will easily spend more for each game then they are likely worth, even if you buy them in a lot. Unless you are in a rush to collect or are louded, I would not advise this option.

2. Flea Markets, Goodwill and Garage sales

-while it takes a lot longer to amass a respectable NES (or any platform) collection through going to flea market or garage sales, you will end up building your collection for a fraction of the cost you would through method #1 above. I personally collect this way, and in terms of NES games I have got the following for dirt cheap:

* The Legend of Zelda (gold cart)-$3

* Mike Tyson's Punch Out-$4

*Ninja Turtles Arcade-$2

There are many others too, but I highly recommend doing it slower and saving money. Besides, doing it this way is more enjoyable because it feels like you are treasure hunting, and in a way it is :p. Let me know if you have nay other questions about collecting for cheap, I've been doing it for a while.

And btw, your can get good deals off of craigslist, but most of the time you will either encounter flaky people who won't get back to you or already sold the item and haven't removed their listing. And if their not flaky, they often want too much for what they're selling. As a general rule, I don't use Craigslist, unless it is to find garage sales selling games and consoles.

Jessey-Stone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Jessey-Stone
Member since 2011 • 375 Posts

best way imo is flea markets and garage sales since nintendo was a giant people bought that only so nes games are scatered all over the place plus some people sell em cheap and hey you ver know if you will find a gold nintendo championship cartridge ;)

i got 3 years looking for one

never giving up :)

Talldude80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#6 Talldude80
Member since 2003 • 6321 Posts

best way imo is flea markets and garage sales since nintendo was a giant people bought that only so nes games are scatered all over the place plus some people sell em cheap and hey you ver know if you will find a gold nintendo championship cartridge ;)

Jessey-Stone

i agree. Yardsales have had some GREAT deals for me. I also have a few good used video game stores near me. I also recommend buying games in bundles on Ebay and www.shopgoodwill.com. It's an auction site, but less traffic than Ebay and they have some great deals. Since NES games arent very heavy, shipping for just a handfull of nes games isnt very much.

Shenmue_Jehuty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Shenmue_Jehuty
Member since 2007 • 5211 Posts

[QUOTE="Jessey-Stone"]

Talldude80

i agree. Yardsales have had some GREAT deals for me. I also have a few good used video game stores near me. I also recommend buying games in bundles on Ebay and www.shopgoodwill.com. It's an auction site, but less traffic than Ebay and they have some great deals. Since NES games arent very heavy, shipping for just a handfull of nes games isnt very much.

I agree with half of what you said; garage sales are an excellent place to find great deals on all kinds of retro games, however shopgoodwill.com is ironically one of the worst places online to buy video games, even more so than Ebay. While I don't doubt that there are occasionally people who get actual good deals on games and consoles, the majority of the items are on there are overpriced and people bid way more on these items then they are actually worth. I just went on there, and saw a used Wii with no games for almost $100; a good deal on a used Wii currently is

Talldude80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#8 Talldude80
Member since 2003 • 6321 Posts

[QUOTE="Talldude80"]

[QUOTE="Jessey-Stone"]

Shenmue_Jehuty

I agree with half of what you said; garage sales are an excellent place to find great deals on all kinds of retro games, however shopgoodwill.com is ironically one of the worst places online to buy video games, even more so than Ebay. While I don't doubt that there are occasionally people who get actual good deals on games and consoles, the majority of the items are on there are overpriced and people bid way more on these items then they are actually worth. I just went on there, and saw a used Wii with no games for almost $100; a good deal on a used Wii currently is

yeah you definately have to search for a while, but there ARE some good deals on those sites. the trick on Ebay is watching and waiting til the last minute. and on shopgoodwill you have to check that shipping isn't a total ripoff (often shipping is way too much, but on NES games it's not outrageous as often).