Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Fl1pstar
Member since 2016 • 4 Posts

Yeah.. that's what I'm looking for.

Most important for me is atmosphere! (means e.g. darkness, cool setting: perhaps sth. like old haunted houses, less action more thrilling story)

Any suggestions for atmospheric 3rd person horror titles are very much appreciated.

Games I already know: Silent Hill 2 (that one was truely great), RE series (too action-focused imho), Alone In The Dark, The Evil Within (they screwed that one up so badly)

Maybe searching for the impossible but let's give it a try.

Thanks for your help folks!

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#2 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

@fl1pstar: If you enjoyed Silent Hill 2 I'd check out Silent Hill 3. IMO it's much more viscerally scary. Whereas 2 was more melancholy and unsettling, 3 is straight scary. It's my favorite horror game. Mind you, much like 2, there are almost no jump scares and instead 3 relies on weirdness and freaky things happening for its scares.

I'd also recommend Dead space 1 and 2. IMO, they're not very scary, but I enjoy them as action/ third person shooter type games. Much like RE4, they're a good balance of scripted sequences and intense game mechanics. 2 in particular is one of my favorite games of last generation.

Lastly, if you own a PC, I'd highly suggest Cry of Fear on Steam. It IS first person, but it's very much in the vein of the old Silent Hill games (item management, ammo conservation, puzzles, terrifying atmosphere). It's 100% free to play as well.

Fl1pstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Fl1pstar

@turtlethetaffer:

Thanks for your input. You know what: I will give SH3 a try! (And perhaps Dead Space 2, was thinking about that one too)

Btw: Totally forgot to mention that I ONLY own a PC. So the games must be for Windows (like all of your suggestions ;) ).

More input for horror 3rd person PC games still appreciated.

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 turtlethetaffer

@fl1pstar: Happy to help! Do you like Pixel Horror? There are a few RPG Maker horror games that are unconventional but effective also available on Steam for free. One is called Close Your Eyes and the other is called Take the Dream IX. Both are incredibly weird but genuinely freaky at times. Killer sound tracks too.

Fl1pstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Fl1pstar

@turtlethetaffer:

Well, if games are genuine, like you say, I'm open minded. Going to check these out. Thx

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 turtlethetaffer

@fl1pstar: Happy to help, always glad to spread the horror cheer.

Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#7 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

I really liked the first Dead Space. The second one, well I don't know if the story will have any meaning if you haven't played the first one and it's also far more shooter-ish, where the first was more action/adventure IMO.

PopGotcha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8 PopGotcha
Member since 2016 • 716 Posts

I found the second Dead Space to be more scary in a sense. Both 1 and 2 are essential if you want a solid TPS horror. To be honest I haven't really played many others, tried Evil Within and didn't really like it. I know its FPS but Layers Of Fear was pretty solid!

CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9154 Posts

dead space sillent hill series resident evil 0 resident evil 1 resident evil 2 resident evil 3 resident evil code veronica