So now that the game has had some time to breathe, think it's a good time to pull the devil trigger on Devil May Cry 5.
How good the game is, what you thought_ both the good, and the 'meh'.
Have a few notes myself. Don't mind if they're skipped over, but feel free to add your own impressions
- Just going to start before I come across as cynical. DMC5 is a fantastic game that honors the legacy of the series, ditches a lot of known baggage and reputation from previous instalments. And the combat is superb.
- Now for me personally the game had pacing issues. Three characters is pretty awesome but the way the chapters are managed is a jumbled mess. Think the game would have done better just setting up three campaigns. Each character was good, even V was a surprise (got Sorcerer vibes from Dragon's Dogma) but having to backflip from each other was kind-of annoying. Just let me have '8-10 Missions as Nero from the start'.
- The above goes hand in hand with the 'story' why are we jumping back and forward through events? For the mystery. . I think the game was trying to make the plot more confusing than it really is. Story was never Hideaki Itsuno san teams speciality.
- While they can be removed entirely cut scenes are unbearably long at times and far too frequent. Quite a few are fun and stylish, though dragged on. As mentioned above, not something I found interesting.
- Got the secret ending from the get-go. . Which honestly made me take a pause and "sigh". While I get DMC5 was trying to replicate the Doku encounter from Ninja Gaiden Black, it was flawed. The patterns are easy to understand and situation wasn't really that hopeless. Nero while lacking the Devil Breakers had the tools for the job, with ease. Especially if someone played the previous mainline DMC game.
- My last complaint is majority of areas lacked distinction. I commonly ran in circles wondering if I went the right way.