Thoughts About Ys: The Oath in Felghana

This topic is locked from further discussion.

RockField

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

Edited By RockField
Member since 2017 • 500 Posts

Ys: The Oath in Felghana is a Japanese Action Role-Playing game that was released on the following systems:

Microsoft Windows:

March 29, 2012 (Steam)

and also available on GOG

Playstation Portable:

April 22, 2010 (Japan)

November 2, 2010 (North America)

January 27, 2011 (Europe)

It was developed by Nihon Falcom and published worldwide by XSEED Games. Supposedly, I should be playing the PC version of the game. However, I ended up playing the PSP version which is absolute great too. It is said that this game is the remake of Ys III: Wanderers from Ys. The plot of this game is about Adol and Dogi returning to Felghana. To cut the story short, Adol must stop Galbalan and the rest of the villains in the game in order to save Felghana. As I progressed through the game, I was shocked when I found out that Bishop Nikolas and Sister Nell turned out to be villains.

About the gameplay, well as an action rpg, it plays as an action rpg (obviously even most in the action rpg formula are there). It lets you buy items and weapons, armors, and shields that are kinda expensive but worth buying (you can work on the money to buy those through patient grinding). You can also upgrade your weapons and armor up to 3 levels which is actually essential during your adventures. Before you totally start a new journey, it will let you choose 5 difficulties: Very Easy (do not choose this difficulty, I repeat, do not choose this difficulty. Unless, if you find this game hard on higher difficulties), Easy, Normal (I chose this difficulty because I want my play through to be as balanced as it could be. Not that easy, not that hard. Just balanced.), Hard, and Nightmare (The hardest difficulty there is until you unlocked an extra difficutly: Inferno).

This game also has metroidvania elements wherein you need to go back and forth every now and then to get the items which you will find useful later on. That is why having 3 elements in the game: Fire, Wind, and Ground are essential especially, the double jump even the very important items like the Firewyrm amulet, etc. The save system in this game is limited wherein you can only save on certain points. To save your game, you need to find a monument so you can save your game and recharge your health fully at the same time. Despite the limitations, you don't have to worry that much about that since when you are about to enter a boss battle, there will always be a save point waiting for you there. Later on in the game you can use the save point to teleport through the places around Felghana that you have already discovered through standing there and activating the item called "Wing Talisman". The scenes in this game have voice acting. During the boss fight, you won't be able to heal yourself. If you die, you can try the boss fight again. It has the boost system wherein the first boost (blue one) makes the player have better damage, take half or small amount of damage and the second boost (the orange one) makes the player use his skill which can cause damage plus as the boost decreases, his health regenerates. You can tweak everything in the settings whether in the game, sound, or controls section.

Once you've finished the game, you'll be able to unlock a few things:

1. Inferno difficulty (That difficulty is beyond the hardest difficulty)

2. Time Attack (You can challenge yourself how fast can you defeat the boss/es in the game)

3. New Game+ (It lets you start the game over again with the equipment, gold, raval ore, and items that you have in the game. It has secret bosses, too. Gotta find out for yourselves)

Note: it lets you save your clear data for your New Game +

Here are the gameplay tips for you if you are playing or planning to play this game:

1. Learn to grind, grind, grind, grind, grind in order to gain enough gold, raval ore, and exp. It takes time so you need to be patient.

2. Upgrade your weapons and armor every now and then. It slightly increases damage or defense to your equipment. Other option is buy a new set of equipment.

Note: Some equipment can be found in some areas of the game.

3. Learn the patterns of each boss. It takes trial and error to learn the pattern of each boss. So if you die, try and try again.

4. Learn the one of the most important things: DODGE, DODGE, DODGE. Although it is inevitable to fail doing this at times, it is still a must to dodge every attack from the boss during boss fights or else, you'll take consecutive amount of damage which will cause your player's quick demise.

5. If tips 3 and 4 don't work after a few tries, all you have to do is grind again for gold, raval ore, and most importantly, exp. If you think your level and equipment is enough after the grinding, you can take on the boss again and do the tips 3 and 4.

6. Memorize the areas. Memorizing the areas could be useful since as I have mentioned in this blog, you will end up going back to those already discovered areas to get the items that were inaccessible in the early parts of the game.

7. Before entering a boss fight, Save, save, save, and SAVE! In case of emergency.

8. Do some side quests. Finishing side quests equals=rewards.

9. Using Katol Elixir can increase your permanent HP slightly while Sprit's Necklace can revive the player when he dies.

10. Sit back, relax, and have fun!

The pros and cons will be listed below as follows:

Pros

-Good and memorable OSTs especially the main theme, some boss fight OSTs, and the theme in Valestein Castle.

-Graphics is simple but beautiful. As most people say, simplicity is beauty.

-The gameplay is absolutely great. It is easy to pick up to and at the same time, enjoyable to the highest degree. This is one of the reasons why I began having interest playing Japanese ARPG again after a quite long time.

-The story is immensely touching. Unconditional love, sacrifice of one life for many lives, a hero who will save Felghana and its people, support from the residence of Redmont, and it is also inspirational. You can learn life lessons through this game. You may even feel attached to the characters.

-The voice acting is great, great enough for the US version. Aside from that, the voice acting is not cringy. Besides, the voices in the game are well fit enough to the characters. The Japanese version is good as well even though I haven't played the Japanese release of this game.

Note: My two favorite characters in this game are:

Chester Stoddart
Chester Stoddart
Adol Christin
Adol Christin

That is because they're both awesome and they both have a nice hair. They're awesome to the point that Adol fought for Felghana while Chester sacrificed himself through blowing Genos Island to save Felghana.

Cons

-Nothing! Nothing! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTHHHHHHHHHHHHHIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGG!

Therefore, I rate this game 10/10. Is there anything that you want to share about this game? Any gaming memories with this game? Feel free to share your thoughts in the comments below.

Happy gaming!

Glitch-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Glitch-
Member since 2016 • 287 Posts

I still need to get around to playing it.