Things You've Failed At In Video Games For Years

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 0

#1 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts

What are some things you've failed at in video games for years? Such as beating a certain stage, boss, or game.

For me it's beating the original version of Metroid. Which is really bad for me, since I'm a HUGE Metroid fan. I always get to a point where I have a bunch of energy tanks, and I get really low life. Then I spend freaking forever to refill it. Then when it happens again, I'm like "F it." And I give up. I've beaten the other Metroid games in the series and loved them, and have beaten the remake "Metroid: Zero Mission" a couple of times. I just don't have the patience it takes for the original, I suppose. I'll probably give it another shot soon, too! I keep trying.

Another48hours

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 Another48hours
Member since 2012 • 1970 Posts

What are some things you've failed at in video games for years? Such as beating a certain stage, boss, or game.

For me it's beating the original version of Metroid. Which is really bad for me, since I'm a HUGE Metroid fan. I always get to a point where I have a bunch of energy tanks, and I get really low life. Then I spend freaking forever to refill it. Then when it happens again, I'm like "F it." And I give up. I've beaten the other Metroid games in the series and loved them, and have beaten the remake "Metroid: Zero Mission" a couple of times. I just don't have the patience it takes for the original, I suppose. I'll probably give it another shot soon, too! I keep trying.

Emerald_Warrior
Have you ever beaten Rayman FULLY, Megaman X6 WITH ALL SOULS, Crash Bandicoot and getting all the gems WITHOUT CHEATING? I haven't. Oh and I was trying to get all emerald in Sonic CD but I just got bred for no reason and left it. odd seeing as I enjoyed the game.
Dudersaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: -3

#3 Dudersaper
Member since 2007 • 32952 Posts
Never been able to pull cool combos in 2D fighters, although I play them frequently :(
Mario2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4 Mario2007
Member since 2005 • 2520 Posts

Never been able to pull cool combos in 2D fighters, although I play them frequently :(Dudersaper
This. I really really try hard at fighting games, but my fights are never as flashy as most people's.

magnax1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 magnax1
Member since 2007 • 4605 Posts

It hasn't been years but I've been struggling to beat the single player mode of super street fighter 2 for quite some time. I'm just so awful at that game lol.

One I struggled with for years was Metroid Prime. I somehow ended up beating it, but I'm truly awful at that game. The control scheme is just really odd to me. Early Resident Evil games were difficult for me too.

One thing all those games have in common is that I find it impossible to get the controls down 100% for them.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#6 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

Beating Viewtiful Joe on Ultra V Rated. I have worn down the final final boss's health to almost nothing, then was one hitted. You can bet there was much controller throwing.

Also, 100%ing Zelda games. I love the games, but I have never completely 100% one. Not even Minish Cap, which I obtained all the Heart Containers for, but missed the Gd light arrows.

Branmuffin316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 Branmuffin316
Member since 2009 • 1208 Posts

The early Resident Evil games. I like playing them but I can never get far because I suck. I also suck at fighting games, except Soul Calibur.

Shenmue_Jehuty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 Shenmue_Jehuty
Member since 2007 • 5211 Posts

I totally fail at beating FFX; I freakin love the 98% of what I've played, but I've never actually beat this game. Not because it is too difficult, but because other circumstances (school, relationships, work, whatever) I've never finished it. I've tried 3-times, and dammit I will beat it the next time I try, I just need to tell the rest of my life to chill out while I play through it this time.

I also suck at buying way more games than I can actually play or beat; my backlog is offensively long.

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

Getting the last heart piece in ALTTP. The one where you have to use a shovel to dig it and find it.

Also giving up on F-Zero GX.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#10 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
Getting past level 3 on Battletoads for the NES. That driving bit, good solid portion of luck needed to get through that.
rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 rilpas
Member since 2012 • 8161 Posts
fighting games in general, I like them, but I suck at them
rwallacefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 rwallacefan
Member since 2005 • 4886 Posts
Beating Driver 1...
aryoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 134

#13 aryoshi
Member since 2007 • 1729 Posts
For the longest time, I tried to beat Zelda II and was unsuccessful. Although 16 years later.. I managed to! Twice in a row in fact. I also managed to beat Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles after 18 years. Now my next challenge awaits me, Blaster Maser...
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Emerald_Warrior

For the longest time, I tried to beat Zelda II and was unsuccessful. Although 16 years later.. I managed to! Twice in a row in fact. I also managed to beat Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles after 18 years. Now my next challenge awaits me, Blaster Maser...aryoshi

That deserves some recognition! Kudos, my friend!

I think I've beaten Zelda II once, maybe twice. I know it's been at least once, though. I got lucky. That final run to the final dungeon is hell, then still having to survive the brutally difficult dungeon, and finally having to beat not one but two insanely hard bosses without a game over is crazy hard. And Shadow Link usually beats me pretty soundly.

TMNT 1 for NES, I have NEVER beaten. And I've owned that game since I was 6 or 7, I received as one of the games I got with my NES at that age. I can get past the Van level (which took me forever to navigate that maze of a level before I figured it out) and get to that sprawling Airport level. That's as far as I have seen into the game. I never came across Shredder or Krang once, so I'm sure it wasn't near the end yet. Oh, and the damned seaweed in the underwater level is just plain unfair. There's no way, that anyone, ever has made it through that without taking bit of damage. It's impossible.

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#15 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5905 Posts

Being competent in any racing game that isn't Rock and Roll Racing on the SNES is something I just cannot seem to do.

chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

#16 chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts

Not getting to far in Majoras Mask

Not getting all the skill points in Ratchet and Clank 2 and 3.

ultramega9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ultramega9
Member since 2006 • 178 Posts

Sliding puzzles.

Every single time, with an exception to professor layton, i get to one, i turn off the system, and the stop playing the game for a like a year.

Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Emerald_Warrior

Sliding puzzles.

Every single time, with an exception to professor layton, i get to one, i turn off the system, and the stop playing the game for a like a year.

ultramega9

It was a game-breaker for me with Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow on Nintendo DS. It was quite disappointing for me, since I'm a huge Castlevania fan. Because of that, I'm wary on buying Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow for my GBA because I'm afraid I'll run into a slide-puzzle, since Dawn of Sorrow is Aria of Sorrow's direct sequel.

aryoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 aryoshi

[QUOTE="aryoshi"]For the longest time, I tried to beat Zelda II and was unsuccessful. Although 16 years later.. I managed to! Twice in a row in fact. I also managed to beat Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles after 18 years. Now my next challenge awaits me, Blaster Maser...Emerald_Warrior

That deserves some recognition! Kudos, my friend!

I think I've beaten Zelda II once, maybe twice. I know it's been at least once, though. I got lucky. That final run to the final dungeon is hell, then still having to survive the brutally difficult dungeon, and finally having to beat not one but two insanely hard bosses without a game over is crazy hard. And Shadow Link usually beats me pretty soundly.

TMNT 1 for NES, I have NEVER beaten. And I've owned that game since I was 6 or 7, I received as one of the games I got with my NES at that age. I can get past the Van level (which took me forever to navigate that maze of a level before I figured it out) and get to that sprawling Airport level. That's as far as I have seen into the game. I never came across Shredder or Krang once, so I'm sure it wasn't near the end yet. Oh, and the damned seaweed in the underwater level is just plain unfair. There's no way, that anyone, ever has made it through that without taking bit of damage. It's impossible.

*Bows* Thank you kindly! They were difficult feats that I'm very proud to have overcome. I always found Death Mountain to get the hammer to be a trial as well, I mean they first pit you in the first two palaces against some moderate to frustrating difficulty, then suddenly you're bombarded with a $!&^storm of creatures right out of hell itself. But getting to the final palace is horrible too. So is navigating the Great Palace itself. The hardest part about TMNT is actually the final stage. I don't think I'm spoiling anything by saying this, in fact if anything I'm giving a warning, there are these guys in jetpacks that make your life a living hell, it's terrible. Shredder himself was quite easy dispite the difficulty of the rest of the game. The airfield is a tough level but once you learn how to master it, the only tough part is near the end of the stage in which you have to avoid getting squished by spiked walls that close in on you. And yeah, the way the underwater stage is designed negates any possibilities of making it through without taking damage. The sprites are too big to navigate through the seaweed, they should've cut it down a bit and made the seaweed a little less thick. It's even easy to take damage while being as careful as possible and it seems you're going through the opening, it still gets you, so the hit-detection on it is also horrible.
Avatar image for TheBlackKnight3
TheBlackKnight3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 TheBlackKnight3
Member since 2008 • 1586 Posts

Megaman 1. Yellow Devil. ALL MY RAGE!!!!!

MLBknights58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 MLBknights58
Member since 2006 • 5016 Posts

I still haven't been able to kill Yiazmat in FFXII. Only has like 8-9 million HP left too, so damn close!

Also fail at NES Metroid. Super is just so much better.

Zelda II Adventure of Link. Even with a walkthrough I struggle, till I just ragequitted. ESPECIALLY Death Mountain. Gawd.

BlueCash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 BlueCash
Member since 2006 • 518 Posts

I fail at fighting games and I don't play them anymore because I don't want to have to memorize a bunch of combos. The only fighting games I have are virtua fighter 1 and 2 for the sega saturn.

WiiCubeM1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23 WiiCubeM1
Member since 2009 • 4735 Posts

F*cking Scrap Brain Zone in Sonic the Hedgehog. That stage has been the bane of my existence for over 15 years... I've beaten it once.

Gemini_Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#24 Gemini_Red
Member since 2003 • 3290 Posts

The Mega Man X series. I have no idea why, but I have the worst time with those games. I've beaten the first, but the rest just kick me in the teeth. After X3 I stopped trying.

Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Emerald_Warrior

F*cking Scrap Brain Zone in Sonic the Hedgehog. That stage has been the bane of my existence for over 15 years... I've beaten it once.

WiiCubeM1

With the first Sonic the Hedgehog game, I always thought that zone was a breeze. It's the zone before it, Labyrinth Zone, the boss fight in particular is a pain. But I can do it, after years of memorization.

On Sonic the Hedgehog 2, I still can barely beat Metal Sonic, then I get stomped by the giant robotic Robotnik.

Los9090

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#26 Los9090
Member since 2004 • 7288 Posts
Beating Mike Tyson in "Punch Out". Getting ANY progress in Ikaruga
CDuG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 CDuG
Member since 2009 • 1946 Posts

I totally fail at beating FFX; I freakin love the 98% of what I've played, but I've never actually beat this game. Not because it is too difficult, but because other circumstances (school, relationships, work, whatever) I've never finished it. I've tried 3-times, and dammit I will beat it the next time I try, I just need to tell the rest of my life to chill out while I play through it this time.

I also suck at buying way more games than I can actually play or beat; my backlog is offensively long.

Shenmue_Jehuty

All of the above for me as well. I got 98% through FFX and my wife walked in the room and was like "you'll never beat it with those characters". I weighed my options of spending hours going back and grinding up, giving it a shot with what I had or walking away from the game unfinished. Needless to say, I only know how the game ends thanks to youtube. Considering with my hectic schedule/life it takes me months to beat FF games, it's unlikely I will ever attempt to restart this game.

And my backlog is overwhelming also. I'm going to separate them into two piles. Keep one, sell the other or just give them away. If they are in my house and I haven't played and beat them, they stress me out lol

Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#28 Eikichi-Onizuka
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts

I never was able to beat the NES Mega Man or Ninja Gaiden, or The Lost Levels and Super Mario Bros. 2 on Super Mario All-Stars. games for a few years. During that time though, even the original Super Mario Bros(on the NES, All-Stars version never gave me trouble due to save slots) I was barely able to finish.

Swanogt19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#29 Swanogt19
Member since 2008 • 24159 Posts

WiiCubeM1
You too? :shock:
Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#30 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

Megaman I have Mega 1-8 on The megaman anniversary collection on Playstation 2, Plus ODT on Playstation 1 and Star Force on the NES.

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#31 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

Racing games is my worst Genre in Videogames so that genre is on I have failed at more than any other genre.

logicalfrank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 96

#32 logicalfrank
Member since 2011 • 1686 Posts

You know, it's always bugged me that I could never pull off the infinite lives trick w/ the turtle shell in Super Mario Brothers. Other than that, out of games I have tried extensively to beat the one that sticks out is TMNT on NES. I probably never will either.

aryoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 aryoshi

You know, it's always bugged me that I could never pull off the infinite lives trick w/ the turtle shell in Super Mario Brothers. Other than that, out of games I have tried extensively to beat the one that sticks out is TMNT on NES. I probably never will either.

logicalfrank
TMNT takes more dedication than most people would want to give. Takes a lot of dying and revisiting, lots of late nights and lots of practice, practice, practice.
tjricardo089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 tjricardo089
Member since 2010 • 7429 Posts

I never finished Rayman. I broke 3/4 controllers with anger, I was a kid so don't judge me.

sayyy-gaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 sayyy-gaa
Member since 2002 • 5850 Posts

Beating Mike Tyson in "Punch Out". Getting ANY progress in IkarugaLos9090

These are two for me as well. I don't see how anyone beat tyson in that game. With ikaruga, I just can't memorize everything.

KPAXMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 KPAXMAN
Member since 2009 • 160 Posts
I find it very relieving that some of these replies are similar. For some, one person's difficulty is another persons piece of cake. It's aggravating to see someone brag about something that's so difficult, but they can do in a heartbeat. Regardless, here is some of my failures in games... NES Mega Man TMNT Finding the last couple of dungeons in Zelda Beating the "Western" level in Time Lord Definitely trying to beat Mike Tyson A Boy and His Blob Sega Genesis Ecco the Dolphin Shadow of the Beast (it's a beast alright) Saturn Not getting past 10 minutes worth of Enemy Zero Not completing Shining the Holy Ark or Shining Force 3 (got close though) Die Hard Trilogy (Game 3 ugh) DC Coming so close to beating Skies of Arcadia and then the data for my save went corrupt. Hidden and Dangerous (only getting upto level 3 sucked) Overall, it looks like I fail a lot at RPGs. RPGs definitely last a long time and require you to stick it out through the end. I'm not so good at MODERN fighting games solely because combos are such a requirement to beat your opponent (mainly AI opponents). Fighting games from the 16-bit era are more my speed. Some driving/racing games are ridiculous mainly because no matter how much you're accelerating, the AI is always faster than you.
Shenmue_Jehuty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Shenmue_Jehuty

[QUOTE="Shenmue_Jehuty"]

CDuG

All of the above for me as well. I got 98% through FFX and my wife walked in the room and was like "you'll never beat it with those characters". I weighed my options of spending hours going back and grinding up, giving it a shot with what I had or walking away from the game unfinished. Needless to say, I only know how the game ends thanks to youtube. Considering with my hectic schedule/life it takes me months to beat FF games, it's unlikely I will ever attempt to restart this game.

And my backlog is overwhelming also. I'm going to separate them into two piles. Keep one, sell the other or just give them away. If they are in my house and I haven't played and beat them, they stress me out lol

lol thanks to my cousin I know exactly what happens at the end as well. FFX has just been one of those games that life always conspires against me, preventing me from ever beating it. I am determined to give life the middle finger and actually beat this game some day because I feel like it deserves to be beat given how great of a game it is.

And no! Don't sell your games you don't play lol! You will probably regret it and just end up buying them again down the road, possibly for more money. I persoanlly love having all my games, played or not on display on my shelves, but if it stresses you out, I'd just box them up and put them in a place that is out of sight and out of mind until you're ready to play them. Just my two sense :p

Shenmue_Jehuty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Shenmue_Jehuty

Beating Mike Tyson in "Punch Out". Getting ANY progress in IkarugaLos9090

Most SHMUP games are moderate to INSANE in difficulty. On a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being a cake walk and 10 being so hard you either stop playing because you through your controller through your TV or wee sobbing too hard to continue playing, Ikaruga is about a 7 imo. Just fyi, never, never play Dodonpachi orMushihimesama Futari. . .

Shenmue_Jehuty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Shenmue_Jehuty

Sega Genesis Ecco the Dolphin KPAXMAN

THIS! This ****ing game was the bane of my childhood and I hate it so much! Ecco drove me insane and I found it tedious, difficult, and frustrating to do anything in this game.

Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Emerald_Warrior

[QUOTE="Los9090"]Beating Mike Tyson in "Punch Out". Getting ANY progress in IkarugaShenmue_Jehuty

Most SHMUP games are moderate to INSANE in difficulty. On a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being a cake walk and 10 being so hard you either stop playing because you through your controller through your TV or wee sobbing too hard to continue playing, Ikaruga is about a 7 imo. Just fyi, never, never play Dodonpachi orMushihimesama Futari. . .

No way, Ikaruga is easily a 10. I play plenty of shoot-em ups, but I couldn't get past the 3rd, or maybe it was the 4th stage, which is just pathetic, and I had a lot of trouble up until that point. Maybe some people are just more in tune with constant color changes you have to keep up with, I'm certainly not.

AcidSoldner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 AcidSoldner
Member since 2007 • 7051 Posts

[QUOTE="Shenmue_Jehuty"]

[QUOTE="Los9090"]Beating Mike Tyson in "Punch Out". Getting ANY progress in IkarugaEmerald_Warrior

No way, Ikaruga is easily a 10. I play plenty of shoot-em ups, but I couldn't get past the 3rd, or maybe it was the 4th stage, which is just pathetic, and I had a lot of trouble up until that point. Maybe some people are just more in tune with constant color changes you have to keep up with, I'm certainly not.

Here, this should make you feel better about yourself: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZEGyrEnXrk

:P

CDuG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 CDuG
Member since 2009 • 1946 Posts

[QUOTE="CDuG"]

[QUOTE="Shenmue_Jehuty"]

Shenmue_Jehuty

lol thanks to my cousin I know exactly what happens at the end as well. FFX has just been one of those games that life always conspires against me, preventing me from ever beating it. I am determined to give life the middle finger and actually beat this game some day because I feel like it deserves to be beat given how great of a game it is.

And no! Don't sell your games you don't play lol! You will probably regret it and just end up buying them again down the road, possibly for more money. I persoanlly love having all my games, played or not on display on my shelves, but if it stresses you out, I'd just box them up and put them in a place that is out of sight and out of mind until you're ready to play them. Just my two sense :p

The ones I haven't played ARE hidden away. They are in bags in my old computer room that is a storage area now. I know they're in there. They bother me lol.

I've pretty much already separated them though. Don't worry the ones I plan on getting rid of are generic sports/racing games. Not that there's anything wrong with them, but I went on a spurt a while back just buying any game I thought I might play and one day I realized there was way too many. I know which ones I would regret so they will stay and I will tackle them sooner or later.

alphabetguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 alphabetguy
Member since 2008 • 64 Posts
Any children's game on PS2 was super difficult for me - Finding Nemo, Frogger: The Great Quest. Other than those, there was Alter Echo, at the ending I had to use cheats to beat the game.. even then I still kept dying
Dudersaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: -3

#44 Dudersaper
Member since 2007 • 32952 Posts
Any children's game on PS2 was super difficult for me - Finding Nemo, Frogger: The Great Quest. Other than those, there was Alter Echo, at the ending I had to use cheats to beat the game.. even then I still kept dyingalphabetguy
Those were only difficult to me because it was a burden to try to get through them. :P
rubber-chicken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 rubber-chicken
Member since 2009 • 2081 Posts

Getting the last heart piece in ALTTP. The one where you have to use a shovel to dig it and find it.

Also giving up on F-Zero GX.

Seabas989
The funny thing is, these kinds of heart pieces are the ones I always have trouble with. But I got this heart piece on my first try! :D Anyway, when I'm about to beat a level in a game, I die because the game hates me and wants me to suffer.
Coyote_Black

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Coyote_Black
Member since 2012 • 118 Posts

In Metal Gear Solid2: SOL the part when Ryden has to swim through the flooded corridors with the **** on his back, she has 1/3rd the air capacity of Ryden and I can't remember the map so I end up swimming in circles until she is nearly dead then I end up back at the air pocket I started at... Arghhhhh!

Coyote_Black

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Coyote_Black
Member since 2012 • 118 Posts

In Metal Gear Solid2: SOL the part when Ryden has to swim through the flooded corridors with the **** on his back, she has 1/3rd the air capacity of Ryden and I can't remember the map so I end up swimming in circles until she is nearly dead then I end up back at the air pocket I started at... Arghhhhh!

Coyote_Black
the censored word was "scientist"
Amnesiac23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

User Lists: 2

#48 Amnesiac23
Member since 2006 • 8470 Posts
I'm terrible at stealth games, which is a shame because I LOVE the Metal Gear Solid series...I'm just terrible at it.