Thief reboot announced, screens and interview. Will remain true to the franchise

• 52 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 0

#1 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

image_298309_thumb_wide940.jpg

image_298304_thumb_wide940.jpg

image_298305_thumb_wide940.jpg

image_298306_thumb_wide940.jpg

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/394467/thief-dev-there-are-a-lot-of-action-titles-this-is-thief/?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=CVG-General-RSS

After a long silence, Thief 4 has finally been official announced, except it is now a reboot and now simply named "Thief"

The developers assure the game will remain true to the core mechanics of the series: in short, "it will feel like Thief."

Fantastic news for all stealth fans famished for a pure old style stealth experience. The game will be out on PC, PS4 and (I quote) "other next gen systems" sometimes in 2014.

A bunch of features and info have been released:

AI

• Garrett isn't a fighter
  • Fighting against four or more guards in combat won't go well
  • Guards and other NPCs are aware of the level design, so they know where a person might try to hide
  • Guards understand the topography of the level and which areas could be useful for hiding
  • Different NPCs will look for Garrett in different ways

Gameplay mechanics

• Navigation beacon shows players where to go 
  • Dev. team wants players to explore environments as they see fit
  • Multiple entrances and exists in each room
  • Multiple options available for stealth approach
  • "Focus" mechanic: has many uses, including being able to aid Garrett's vision as he navigates through open levels
  • Focus lights up the screen and highlights pipes you can climb + candles you can put out to make the room darker
  • Can upgrade Focus
  • Doing so will give you a bigger radius of things to see
  • Fingerpints system: gives you hints on which drawers are best to look in
  • Every drawer is accessible
  • Can pickpocket
  • Use Focus while pickpocketing to slow time and swipe up to three times as many items from others
  • Can spend money to upgrade supplies and equipment at the end of each mission
  • Various artifacts are scattered throughout the game's level
  • Can use these to decorate Garrett's hideout
  • Garrett is motivated by the thrill of stealing something that others can't take
  • Focus will show a number of attack points on enemies
  • Can select a point (like the chest) to do a quick push that will buy him more time to dash off into the shadows
  • Can also string together a number of points to perform a more debilitating attack
  • Team is trying to find a balance between making combat enjoyable and allowing players to enter combat if they want
  • Major mechanics are in place 

Tools

• Blackjack: use when sneaking up behind guards to knock them unconscious 
  • Bow: powerful, can be used outside of combat (ex: fire at a bottle in another room to lure a guard away, trigger a switch to lock the guard inside)
  • Specialty Arrows: different uses; dry-ice arrow can be used to snuff flames from far away; smoke-starter arrow: cover and a distraction
  • Claw: grapple attaches to certain points

General

• Garrett design made by game director Nicolas Cantin
  • Garrett's scar represents that his past has left long-lasting effects on his life
  • Eidos being vague about how faithful the team is remaining to the original Thief lore
  • Many of the series' magical elements will be toned down
  • "Eidos-Montreal compares game development to a high-speed train collision between art and technology."
  • Team was kept small and "stayed within the concept phase of development for a longer period of time."
  • The staff experimented with featuring a new character, making it a third-person game involving either tactical gameplay or environmental clambering (like Assassin's Creed)
  • "At one point in development, the game had so many third-to-first-person transitions that the constant camera shifting was making people sick."
  • Many experiments during first three years of development
biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#2 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts
Thanks for posting. It might "feel" like one in terms of visuals and such but why the hell are they trying to upgrade combat and add this focus rubbish? Its unnecessary.
PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 PannicAtack
Member since 2006 • 21040 Posts
Where does it say it's a reboot?
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Black_Knight_00
Where does it say it's a reboot?PannicAtack
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/122510-Game-Informer-Reveals-Thief-Reboot
GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#5 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts
I missed out on the Theif games but I am in love with the Deus Ex developers so this will be a day one buy for me.
Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

Is Thief open world? I've never played any of the games. 

Qixote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 Qixote
Member since 2002 • 10843 Posts

Will remain true to franchise?  Judging by these pictures, it already looks too late for that.  Third person is not true to the original games.  Garrett looks more like Batman than Garrett. It's being made primarily with consoles in mind.  I could go on if you want. . .

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Black_Knight_00

Will remain true to franchise?  Judging by these pictures, it already looks too late for that.  Third person is not true to the original games.  Garrett looks more like Batman than Garrett. It's being made primarily with consoles in mind.  I could go on if you want. . .

Qixote
Those are concept arts... The game is in first person (see second picture), though hopefully it will come with an optional 3rd person view like Deadly Shadows
LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#9 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts

i like what the deus ex team did with human revolution. there were a few lapses in execution, but they mostly had the right idea in mind. i guess with that i'll remain optimistic about what the other team will do here.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#10 S0lidSnake
Member since 2002 • 29001 Posts

I missed out on the Theif games but I am in love with the Deus Ex developers so this will be a day one buy for me.GodModeEnabled

Holy sh*t! Didnt even notice that. 

Day mother f*cking 1!

P.S F*ck vader for not including Deus Ex on his list.  

Grovilis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#11 Grovilis
Member since 2008 • 3728 Posts

The large majority of stealth games in the past several years have disappointed me in one way or another in a notable way so I'm rather cautious. If I hear that the player will have x-ray vision (like practically every other stealth game lately) then I'll become pretty doubtful that I'll find the rest of the experience all too enjoyable. I suppose I'm being pretty pessimistic here, but it just gets rather annoying when so many AAA devs try to appeal to every possible gamer even if they're not too fond of serious stealth gameplay. I kind of wish that the IP was handed over to an indie dev.

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Black_Knight_00
A small clarification: it's actually not the same team that made Deus Ex, it's the other, smaller team at Eidos Montreal, which began working on this game some 3 years ago.
chaplainDMK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 chaplainDMK
Member since 2008 • 7004 Posts
"it will be true to the franchies" Thats what everyone says these days just before taking a massive dump on it.
MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts
Hopefully the focus features don't become intrusive or mandatory, that's my only concern.
EvilSelf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#17 EvilSelf
Member since 2010 • 3619 Posts

Excellent news! I have been waiting for this for quite a few years, actually almost a decade now!!!

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Black_Knight_00

Excellent news! I have been waiting for this for quite a few years, actually almost a decade now!!!

EvilSelf
omg, you're right: it's been almost 10 years since Thief Deadly Shadows. Way too long
EvilSelf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 EvilSelf

[QUOTE="EvilSelf"]

Black_Knight_00

omg, you're right: it's been almost 10 years since Thief Deadly Shadows. Way too long

Yep! Still getting nightmares over Shalebridge Cradle mission. Of course, i was 10 years younger back then. I hope the Mechanists return in the new one. I loved The Metal Age. I am actually getting goosebumps just by thinking about the good old days of Thief!

AzelKosMos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#20 AzelKosMos
Member since 2005 • 34194 Posts

My PS4 want list is slowly expanding. Loved the original Thief on PC (never plyed the others) So hell yes I want this.

soundcellx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 soundcellx
Member since 2006 • 976 Posts

Thief reboot announced, screens and interview. Will remain true to the franchise

Black_Knight_00

So, unlike most other franchises this gen, I take it? So, if you liked the previous Thief games, you will still like this one since it will remain true, yes? 

Unlike all the other reboots and changes to other series this gen, this series will still remain good?

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Black_Knight_00
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Black_Knight_00

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"][QUOTE="EvilSelf"]

EvilSelf

Yep! Still getting nightmares over Shalebridge Cradle mission. Of course, i was 10 years younger back then. I hope the Mechanists return in the new one. I loved The Metal Age. I am actually getting goosebumps just by thinking about the good old days of Thief!

Shalebridge Cradle, christ that level was creepy as hell. About the Mechanists, the game designer already said the magical elements will be toned down in favor of a quasi-steampunk setting, as shown by that awesome mechanical bow Garret is packing, so I think your wish may just be granted.
EvilSelf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 EvilSelf

[QUOTE="EvilSelf"]

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"] omg, you're right: it's been almost 10 years since Thief Deadly Shadows. Way too longBlack_Knight_00

Shalebridge Cradle, christ that level was creepy as hell. About the Mechanists, the game designer already said the magical elements will be toned down in favor of a quasi-steampunk setting, as shown by that awesome mechanical bow Garret is packing, so I think your wish may just be granted.

Man, next gen would be...dramatic to say the least. New Thief game, a new Fallout game (rumored to be for next gen). Those two are my top 2 all time favorites!

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#25 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19563 Posts
What makes you think that this will stay true to the franchise? What they've revealed seems more cinematic, action-packed, combat-viable, and hand-holdy than one would expect from the finest stealth series of all time. I'll remain cautious. I like the screenshots though - they don't remind me of Thief, but they don't look bad either.
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Black_Knight_00

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"][QUOTE="EvilSelf"]

EvilSelf

Man, next gen would be...dramatic to say the least. New Thief game, a new Fallout game (rumored to be for next gen). Those two are my top 2 all time favorites!

It is looking really good
c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#27 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts

I've never played a Thief game before. I should probably fix that.

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Black_Knight_00

I've never played a Thief game before. I should probably fix that.

c_rake
Absolutely. Play Thief: Deadly Shadows, it's 9,99 on steam and will run on pretty much anything.
c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 c_rakestraw  Moderator

Absolutely. Play Thief: Deadly Shadows, it's 9,99 on steam and will run on pretty much anything.Black_Knight_00

Awesome.

Would you recommend the other two games as well?

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Planeforger

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"] Absolutely. Play Thief: Deadly Shadows, it's 9,99 on steam and will run on pretty much anything.c_rake

Awesome.

The other two games are (vastly) superior, but they're also older and much harder to get into nowadays.

Thief 2 is pretty much the best of the bunch - I'd even call it the best stealth game of all time - so if you can look past the graphics and don't mind slower-paced gameplay, I'd recommend that.

Still...Deadly Shadows is the most accessible.

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Black_Knight_00

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"] Absolutely. Play Thief: Deadly Shadows, it's 9,99 on steam and will run on pretty much anything.c_rake

Awesome.

Yes I would, although they feel their age a bit by now
c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 c_rakestraw  Moderator

The other two games are (vastly) superior, but they're also older and much harder to get into nowadays.

Thief 2 is pretty much the best of the bunch - I'd even call it the best stealth game of all time - so if you can look past the graphics and don't mind slower-paced gameplay, I'd recommend that.

Still...Deadly Shadows is the most accessible.

Planeforger

Cool. Graphics don't matter to me (wouldn't consider checking them out, otherwise), so I'm sure I'd enjoy them.

Yes I would, although they feel their age a bit by nowBlack_Knight_00

Doesn't matter. I'm sure they still hold up enough to still be just as playable as before.

PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 PannicAtack
I haven't really played Deadly Shadows beyond the first level, but I've played the first game and the first few levels of the second, and yes, they are absolutely worth it. Except for the "Escape!" level in the first game. Hate that level.
Mawy_Golomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Mawy_Golomb
Member since 2008 • 1047 Posts

So, in other words, this game will be closer to Thief 2 than Thief 1 because of little-to-no magical elements. I guess that's fine with me, but I still am skeptical about how everything will work, after hearing about the focus mechanic. I understand the importance of visual cues, but most of the time they aren't necessary. We've been playing games long enough without them and we're doing just fine. Sometimes I feel like developers and publishers are overly concerned and over-analyzing a lot of things, if not trying to reach out to a wider audience for an already well established franchise.

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#35 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts
So, in other words, this game will be closer to Thief 2 than Thief 1 because of little-to-no magical elements. I guess that's fine with me, but I still am skeptical about how everything will work, after hearing about the focus mechanic. Mawy_Golomb
honestly, focus sounds like magic to me. i'll wait to see how it's implemented, but they might as well just call it magic if it becomes really useful.
Goyoshi12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#36 Goyoshi12
Member since 2009 • 9687 Posts

[QUOTE="Mawy_Golomb"]So, in other words, this game will be closer to Thief 2 than Thief 1 because of little-to-no magical elements. I guess that's fine with me, but I still am skeptical about how everything will work, after hearing about the focus mechanic. LoG-Sacrament
honestly, focus sounds like magic to me. i'll wait to see how it's implemented, but they might as well just call it magic if it becomes really useful.

He does have the eye.

That eye does wonders.

Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts
I hope he's using a rope arrow in the third pic. This is the game I hope will be great the most.
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Black_Knight_00

[QUOTE="Mawy_Golomb"]So, in other words, this game will be closer to Thief 2 than Thief 1 because of little-to-no magical elements. I guess that's fine with me, but I still am skeptical about how everything will work, after hearing about the focus mechanic. LoG-Sacrament

It's going to be the equivalent of the red pipes in Mirror's Edge / yellow bricks in Uncharted, simply to indicate the player where Garret can climb and make movement more fluid by eliminating trial and error. The good news is the Focus function seems to be optional, as it needs to be activated manually.

Goyoshi12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Goyoshi12

[QUOTE="LoG-Sacrament"][QUOTE="Mawy_Golomb"]So, in other words, this game will be closer to Thief 2 than Thief 1 because of little-to-no magical elements. I guess that's fine with me, but I still am skeptical about how everything will work, after hearing about the focus mechanic. Black_Knight_00

It's going to be the equivalent of the red pipes in Mirror's Edge / yellow bricks in Uncharted, simply to indicate the player where Garret can climb and make movement more fluid by eliminating trial and error. The good news is the Focus function seems to be optional, as it needs to be activated manually.

Hope your right.

I also hope they scrap the idea of focusing on combat; that's not what Thief was all about. In fact, the games DISCOURAGED that kind of thinking that you could take on even one or two guards unless of course you were clever about it. Just focus on what Thief really is: pure, dark, blissful, stealth.

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Black_Knight_00

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"]

[QUOTE="LoG-Sacrament"] honestly, focus sounds like magic to me. i'll wait to see how it's implemented, but they might as well just call it magic if it becomes really useful.Goyoshi12

Hope your right.

I also hope they scrap the idea of focusing on combat; that's not what Thief was all about. In fact, the games DISCOURAGED that kind of thinking that you could take on even one or two guards unless of course you were clever about it. Just focus on what Thief really is: pure, dark, blissful, stealth.

Rest easy then: the game will discourage combat. If you read the bullet points I added to the opening post, developers specifically say that "Garret is not a fighter" and "Fighting against four or more guards in combat won't go well"
Goyoshi12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Goyoshi12

[QUOTE="Goyoshi12"]

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"] It's going to be the equivalent of the red pipes in Mirror's Edge / yellow bricks in Uncharted, simply to indicate the player where Garret can climb and make movement more fluid by eliminating trial and error. The good news is the Focus function seems to be optional, as it needs to be activated manually.

Black_Knight_00

Hope your right.

Rest easy then: the game will discourage combat. If you read the bullet points I added to the opening post, developers specifically say that "Garret is not a fighter" and "Fighting against four or more guards in combat won't go well"

Except what about one guard or two or three?

PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 PannicAtack
[QUOTE="Goyoshi12"]

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"] It's going to be the equivalent of the red pipes in Mirror's Edge / yellow bricks in Uncharted, simply to indicate the player where Garret can climb and make movement more fluid by eliminating trial and error. The good news is the Focus function seems to be optional, as it needs to be activated manually.

Black_Knight_00

Hope your right.

Of course, people complained about that last point because it said "four" and not "two."
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Black_Knight_00
[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"][QUOTE="Goyoshi12"]

Hope your right.

PannicAtack

Of course, people complained about that last point because it said "four" and not "two."

Yeah, I raised an eyebrow at that too. My guess is this: the developers who have been interviewed by Game Informer don't speak very good english at all (if you watch the interview you can see for yourself), they may have explained themselves poorly regarding this aspect. I say this because of the fact they also made a point of the fact that "Garret is not a fighter." It would be silly to say someone is not a fighter and then say he can kill up to 4 guards at a time.
PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 PannicAtack
[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"][QUOTE="PannicAtack"][QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"] Rest easy then: the game will discourage combat. If you read the bullet points I added to the opening post, developers specifically say that "Garret is not a fighter" and "Fighting against four or more guards in combat won't go well"

Yeah, I raised an eyebrow at that too. My guess is this: the developers who have been interviewed by Game Informer don't speak very good english at all (if you watch the interview you can see for yourself), they may have explained themselves poorly regarding this aspect. I say this because of the fact they also made a point of the fact that "Garret is not a fighter." It would be silly to say someone is not a fighter and then say he can kill up to 4 guards at a time.

Honestly, at that point it just comes off as *looking* for reasons to complain.
Goyoshi12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Goyoshi12

[QUOTE="PannicAtack"][QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"] Rest easy then: the game will discourage combat. If you read the bullet points I added to the opening post, developers specifically say that "Garret is not a fighter" and "Fighting against four or more guards in combat won't go well"Black_Knight_00

Wow, you're a lot more postive about this than what I've seen of others.

I'm gonna be honest though, I'll remain SEMI-skeptic. Many a stealth games went to a more...casual and consumer friendly route and there is still time for them to f*ck it up but I'll remain optimistic for what it's worth.

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Black_Knight_00

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"][QUOTE="PannicAtack"] Of course, people complained about that last point because it said "four" and not "two."Goyoshi12

Wow, you're a lot more postive about this than what I've seen of others.

I'm gonna be honest though, I'll remain SEMI-skeptic. Many a stealth games went to a more...casual and consumer friendly route and there is still time for them to f*ck it up but I'll remain optimistic for what it's worth.

I saw what Eidos did with Deus Ex, and I was massively pessimistic about that game before its release, I was sure they would muck it up and turn it into a shooter. Instead it turned out to be a brilliant stealth/rpg/action hybrid you can play any way you want. They captured the essence of the previous games, which is what so many reboots/revivals fail to do. I'm reasonably confident they can deliver again in the same manner.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Planeforger

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"]Rest easy then: the game will discourage combat. If you read the bullet points I added to the opening post, developers specifically say that "Garret is not a fighter" and "Fighting against four or more guards in combat won't go well"Goyoshi12

To be fair, Garret could always take on multiple guards at a time, even on the harder difficulties. It was simply discouraged, especially by the inclusion of all of the undead/magical/mechanical enemies that couldn't be killed with conventional weaponry.

Still...quotes like "We want you to play as a thief but we dont want to force you to play as a thief" aren't doing a great job of convincing me on this one.

Plus, it's a reboot of a saga that has always treated its backstory well. With fewer magical elements...how much of Thief is actually going to be left in this game?

PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 PannicAtack

[QUOTE="Goyoshi12"]

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"]Rest easy then: the game will discourage combat. If you read the bullet points I added to the opening post, developers specifically say that "Garret is not a fighter" and "Fighting against four or more guards in combat won't go well"Planeforger

To be fair, Garret could always take on multiple guards at a time, even on the harder difficulties. It was simply discouraged, especially by the inclusion of all of the undead/magical/mechanical enemies that couldn't be killed with conventional weaponry.

Still...quotes like "We want you to play as a thief but we dont want to force you to play as a thief" aren't doing a great job of convincing me on this one.

Plus, it's a reboot of a saga that has always treated its backstory well. With fewer magical elements...how much of Thief is actually going to be left in this game?

How many people actually liked the magical elements, though? The supernatural-heavy levels often weren't as fun as the basic "sneak into fancy places and steal everything" levels. Hence the focus in Thief II.
Mawy_Golomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Mawy_Golomb
Member since 2008 • 1047 Posts

I remember hearing in an early summer 2012 article that the new Thief game would offer some kind of multiplayer or online functionality. Did Eidos Montreal keep it or take it out of the game? If it were to give us a tacked-on multiplayer feature, I certainly will feel less optimistic than I am right now. And what exactly will happen with the different lead devs leaving the team? How has that affected the whole game?

Source: http://www.gamespot.com/news/lead-thief-4-devs-exit-project-report-6382509

Moreover, with Eidos Montreal's boss Stephane D'Astous, what exactly is meant by a "different play style" or "more than just stealth"? That leaves me concerned about the franchise as a whole. Not to mention the focus mechanic, which seems like it will make stealth kills and finding artifacts/gold too easy. And can we really expect to see levels as huge as those in the first two Thief games, instead of the much smaller environments (hampered by loading times) found in Thief 3: DS?

Source: http://www.oxm.co.uk/42730/thief-4-needs-to-be-as-good-as-or-better-than-deus-ex-eidos-montreal/

[QUOTE="Planeforger"]

[QUOTE="Goyoshi12"]

PannicAtack

How many people actually liked the magical elements, though? The supernatural-heavy levels often weren't as fun as the basic "sneak into fancy places and steal everything" levels. Hence the focus in Thief II.

While I found the more supernatural levels to be massive and sometimes even a bit too difficult to find my way around, especially with the nearly useless maps found in a lot of those levels, I actually did like the atmosphere and world of Thief as a whole.  Keeping that and building on it with better, much easier to figure out maps (ones that detail every room you've explored or need to still explore) and a much better, more fluid movement system (suited to FP view, like what Mirror's Edge's movement engine did for FP games) would give the Thief franchise a lot of breathing ground. The different factions, locations, and even supernatural elements/monsters made Thief:TDP so great, which is why many consider it the greatest stealth game of all time.

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Black_Knight_00
[QUOTE="Mawy_Golomb"]I remember hearing in an early summer 2012 article that the new Thief game would offer some kind of multiplayer or online functionality. Did Eidos Montreal keep it or take it out of the game? If it were to give us a tacked-on multiplayer feature, I certainly will feel less optimistic than I am right now. And what exactly will happen with the different lead devs leaving the team? How has that affected the whole game? Source: http://www.gamespot.com/news/lead-thief-4-devs-exit-project-report-6382509 Moreover, with Eidos Montreal's boss Stephane D'Astous, what exactly is meant by a "different play style" or "more than just stealth"? That leaves me concerned about the franchise as a whole. Not to mention the focus mechanic, which seems like it will make stealth kills and finding artifacts/gold too easy. And can we really expect to see levels as huge as those in the first two Thief games, instead of the much smaller environments (hampered by loading times) found in Thief 3: DS? Source: http://www.oxm.co.uk/42730/thief-4-needs-to-be-as-good-as-or-better-than-deus-ex-eidos-montreal/

The new Thief is a PS4 game, which has 125 times as much memory as the original xbox. I think it's safe to assume the City will be fully explorable without being broken up into small areas like in Thief: DS