Thief: Deadly Shadows. What you think about it after all these years?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#1 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Note: Be sure to tell us whether you've played Thief 1 and 2 or not.

As we all know, first two games in the series were well received both financially and critically. Fans were also fond of them. But when Thief: Deadly Shadows came out, a lot of people were disappointed. Fanbase even till this day feels divided.

As someone who've played all three games, even recently, I think it's a worthy sequel to the second game. It's a great game that everyone should play. I also think that it's weakest in the series as many agree but that doesn't make it bad at all. And it's weakest because of totally different reasons than one might think.

The game's own ambition became its biggest enemy. After taking a good look at entire game, it's not hard to see that Ion Storm gave this game everything they could. They were loosing a lot of devs left and right during the production of this game.

It's hardly a surprise that some of the features of the game are half baked because they clearly didn't get enough time to finish them. They took Thief franchise seriously and wanted to make the most ambitious game in the series. Unfortunately their financial problems affected the game negatively.

Here is what I think

Strengths:

• Still has a great storyline like first two games.
  • Graphics are really good, even today.
  • Atmosphere is dark and immersive like first two games.
  • A lot of gadgets.
  • Great art direction.
  • Kept the tradition of top of the line sound technology alive.
  • Gameplay is awesome.
  • New ideas.
  • Great soundtracks and ambient sound effects.
  • Still contains 2D style cutscenes, like the originals.
  • New enemies.
  • Still a Stealth game.
  • Connects the dots. Explains few unexplained moments from cutscenes of first two games, that hint at the story of the third game, even though most people didn't even notice them.
  • A perfect end to a trilogy,

Weaknesses:

• Third Person View was waste of resources and also affected the movement in First Person in a negative way because Garrett's entire body was pain in the as* to control sometimes.
  • The game lacks overall polish and contains glitches and clipping issues.
  • Ragdoll physics feels a bit messed up sometimes (the way bodies fall when you blackjack them).
  • Some of the features are half baked. I didn't like faction system in the third game. Felt tacked on and gamey TBH.
  • Lack of Rope Arrow. Wall Climb ability is glitchy and it's hard as balls to look down and observe the situation while hanging.
  • UI is pretty big and covers a large area of the screen, as if it was made for TVs primarily. It makes it look a bit gamey instead of being realistic.
  • Levels are divided in small parts. You have to go through loading screens. In originals, you could complete the entire mission without a single loading screen and levels were bigger too.
  • 3D cutscenes really hurt game's atmosphere and make it look goofy.
  • Traveling all the way up to the shop to buy tools, gadgets and weapons over and over again, while avoiding guards, fights between two factions and sometimes glitchy AI.
  • No mission briefing videos.

Overall:

A solid game... 8/10. With a little bit of more polish, finished features and bigger levels, this could've been the best game in the franchise but no doubt that Ion Storm took this game seriously and did everything they could with limited resources. RIP Ion Storm (Thief: Deadly Shadows) and Looking Glass (Thief 1 and 2).

Share your thoughts.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

It's been a long time, but I'm pretty sure it started my love affair with stealth games, and also set the standard for them. Thief 1 and 2, and the first few Splinter Cells.

Those are the games I think of when I think "stealth" game.

*lol damn, I was thinking Deadly Shadows was the first THief for a second. That puts what I said more in context.

No, Thief 3 was good, even great at parts, but no Thief 2 (the best, imo). Still an awesome stealth-focused game. I still think it looks pretty damn good, that engine is all right.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#3 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

I love it, still one of the best stealth games out there. Old school Garrett is the best.

Damn, now I really want to go back and replay it.

dmb34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#4 dmb34
Member since 2004 • 1102 Posts

I tried deadly shadows but couldn't get too far into it due to lack of interest, I had "the dark project" with a 3dfx video card and I played it over and over relentlessly ...maybe I burned myself out on the series