Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1 sanghelle56
Member since 2017 • 263 Posts

Copied from a post I made with the same subject matter on Reddit:

"There's barely any to dig into as of 2019, and that's an understatement. I'm new to this subreddit btw.

So, while most MMOs are set in fantasy worlds, the only other more common option is modern-set games. BUT MOST PEOPLE ACT LIKE IT'S JUST AS HUGE A GENRE AS WoW'S, AND IT SADLY ISN'T! The MMO has recently become my favorite genre, and there's nothing to choose from but future humans and humans with no aliens. YAWN. And don't get me started on Star Trek Online, I don't go for games based on other media.

Here's what I really want out of ANYTHING set in space or future Earths coming out anytime soon:

- A setting with AT LEAST 2 elements of applied, real science woven into the setting and gameplay. Oblate planets, guns with super-high velocity bullets, cloning, etc. NO LASERS. Society beyond the stars is fine, but the one thing I think would be a good challenge to players is, for example, finding good apparel that can withstand the brutal 1K times gravity of other worlds. It would cost 1,500 credits, and you'd have to complete other missions for the cash, etc.

- ACTUAL alien/alternative race options along with humans. EVERY sci-fi MMO like Anarchy has Humanity and different offshoots of it as playable. REALLY? There should be at the least eight other species to play as. A mix of humanoids and semi humanoids...and this is what it'd be: Human, Robot, Bird-like Alien Race, Artificial Cloned Human, Peaceful Green Skinned Oval-headed Alien Race, Blue Skinned Human-Like Alien....etc. That's a mouthful.

- A diverse class system to better suit a sci-fi online venture. Mercenary, Techspert, etc. Small time work and factions to join once you're leveled. It's high time a game like what I'm yammering about came out.

I'm just wondering on the side if anyone else is expecting a decent wave of sci-fi MMOs now? Or 2020?"

That's all. What's your take? It'd be cool if an MMO really went this route.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 45040 Posts

Yeah, there should be.

I miss:

• Earth and Beyond: a Westwood Studios (of Command and Conquer fame) MMO where you flew a spaceship around. It was pretty fun!
  • Auto Assault: it's more post-apocolyptic (like Fallout), but it has a lot of sci-fi elements. Basically you drove a car around and did missions and stuff.
  • Tabula Rasa: third-person action MMO. It was a lot of fun, a shame it shut down.
Loading Video...

@sanghelle56: you should check out Star Wars: The Old Republic. Has most of wahat you asked for, and it's actually a really good game.

But c'mon man, no lasers? Not sci-fi without lasers :D

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#3 RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 8806 Posts

Well the rumor for a while now is From Software would bring back and reboot Armored Core as a MMO experience, which would be interesting to say the least. .

Honestly rarely care for MMOs, they're infamous for input lag, have floaty mechanics, and just generally play bad. The saving grace of them is playing with other people (and mass amounts) yet I already get that with multiplayer experiences outside the MMO bubble that are fundamentally superior.

Yams1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#4  Edited By Yams1980
Member since 2006 • 3712 Posts

I think the only chance of ever getting a big scale scifi MMO would be if blizzard decided to make Starcraft into an MMO.

I've also heard people think Mass Effect could be turned into one as well.

Both of these games could offer a lot of options for different alien races and classes.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#5 Willy105
Member since 2005 • 24936 Posts

I really enjoyed Star Trek Online when it first came out in beta.

mikestunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6 mikestunner
Member since 2005 • 5306 Posts

I want a futuristic diplopia MMO. The world starts out barren and destroyed. The players need to level up crafting and supplies and rebuild the world. Thousands of players roaming the huge open world rebuilding cities and towns.

redphoenix80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#7 redphoenix80
Member since 2019 • 16 Posts

Weird. I keep saying the opposite. Too many sci-fi games. Too many sci-fi rpgs, and mmo's. I also get sick of manga and anime rpg's because they rarely make sense or translate right. Cheezy cartoony moves. I wish there more realistic looking fantasy mmo's and a real competitor to ESO and FF. I also wish Blizzard would make an open world Diablo without birds-eye view.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#8 RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 8806 Posts

Plan 8 seems to fit the bill. Maybe worth looking into.

Though one can never tell with trailers clearly showing scripted set-pieces.