The Witcher 3 Already Won Game of the Year 2015 ?

• 77 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

JamesJoule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 JamesJoule
Member since 2012 • 398 Posts

fallout 4 graphics are shit and technically it's falllout 3 hd

and metal gear solid 5 is infested by microtransactions

also batman arkham knight is not the game we were expecting it to be " according to reviewers and videos "

the only game that stands out .. living up to the expectations and all the hype and surpassing it.. recieving near complete critical scores ... is nothing else than the witcher 3 ..

obviously this comes from a huge fallout and metal gear fan who's disspointed by recent reveals ...

i hope i am wrong .. i really do.. but so far it looks like these games will not be the masterpieces they easily could have been

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

It's won GOTY in my opinion. There's nothing for the rest of the year that I'm all that excited about.

ProtossX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ProtossX
Member since 2005 • 2880 Posts

Witcher 3 is not open world enough.

In Skyrim you can kill villagers you can kill kids its like open world like grand theft auto kill anything you want

in witcher 3 you are a good guy and you can't kill towns folks and kids an stuff like that its nothing open about it

imo ill wait for fallout 4 for a true open world and that will get goty withcer 3 dev u need to learn how to let me make my own character my own way an let me kill whoever i want period

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#4 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14414 Posts

You didn't give any valid reasons for Fallout 4 not being GOTY.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#5 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58854 Posts

Attacking Fallout 4 for graphics, when the Witcher 3 dramatically downgraded it's own while misleading people seems somewhat double standard.

However given the "my gods we are giving this 1 more than 9" shlock', yes, it will most likely be.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44105 Posts

I'll wait and see how the rest of the games for this year turn out. The list of games that I think/hope will be strong GotY canidates are:

• The Witcher 3
  • Batman: Arkham Knight
  • Halo 5
  • Metal Gear Solid V
  • Fallout 4
  • Final Fantasy XV
  • Xenoblade Chronicles X
  • Rise of the Tomb Raider
JamesJoule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 JamesJoule

@Telekill said:

It's won GOTY in my opinion. There's nothing for the rest of the year that I'm all that excited about.

glad to see someone share my opinion... was surprised by the amount of ppl saying that it'll never reach the same level as fallout or mgs serieses .. in my opinion the witcher surpassed them

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

It's definitely my GOTY so far... but there's lots to come that I'm very excited for.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11664 Posts

Not to be 'that' guy, but last year Bayonetta 2 scored a 10 here on GS and was beaten at GotY.

Plenty like to dismiss games outside personal taste and platform, though last I checked Bloodborne and Splatoon are decent contenders.

& even then 'unpopular opinion' I'd give it to a portable game, because Monster Hunter is just that awesome.

tatman87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By tatman87
Member since 2015 • 227 Posts

technically it's falllout 3 hd

I can say the same about the Witcher 3 just being The Witcher 2.5. Not enough has been improved to make me want to own that game. I suspect Fallout 4 will be my GOTY. If I don't end up loving any of the holiday releases then I will just default to Bloodborne being my GOTY.

ojmstr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#11  Edited By ojmstr
Member since 2003 • 1949 Posts

Here are my GOTY contenders in random order

Bloodbourne

The Witcher 3

Metal Gear Solid V : The Phantom Pain

Fallout 4

Star Wars : Battlefront

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#12 mastermetal777
Member since 2009 • 3236 Posts

Too early to tell still. Bloodborne is my personal GOTY so far, but I've yet to play Arkham Knight or The Witcher 3. And then when Fallout 4 and No Man's Sky come out, all bets are off for me.

Nirogol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#13 Nirogol
Member since 2015 • 511 Posts

We have half year a head of us...to early to discuss about it. anyway my contender for the title is Bloodborne.

loafofgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 loafofgame
Member since 2013 • 1742 Posts

Seeing as how GS went with Shadow of Mordor last year, shouldn't they go with Splatoon or something? Anyway, how much does being confirmed in what you think is the GOTY actually matter? This crap always ends with people questioning the credibility of websites because their favourite game wasn't picked.

LuminousAether

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 LuminousAether
Member since 2005 • 322 Posts

It's all a matter of opinion, really. Personally, Bloodborne wouldn't even be in the running for mine because I found it to be a huge disappointment after how amazing Dark Souls 2 was, it was a complete step backwards and missed out on many of the huge improvements Dark Souls 2 made over the first game. It's easily the least replayable game in the set, with a setting that I was tired of by the end, and horrible multiplayer. Also the radically simplified weapon and armor system was a damning change. And the Chalice dungeon concept was broken from the beginning and the implementation is, in a word, inept.

My pick for GotY so far is Pillars of Eternity. Fallout 4 or XCOM 2 both might replace it though. Also, Legacy of the Void is nearly a shoe-in for me, so if that releases in 2015 then I don't see anything else even coming close. The Witcher 3 is a pretty good game but I liked Skyrim more for an open world WRPG. The Witcher 3, like the rest of the franchise, has mediocre combat and really terrible role-playing systems, shoving me into playing a pre-defined character and restricting freedom completely.

DrSpoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 DrSpoon
Member since 2015 • 628 Posts

Not played too much of it at the moment, but it seems to be a great game and its good to see the dev adding improvements - still got some great titles to come this year though! Also, waiting for CDPR to fix the text size on Witcher 3 pls...

JamesJoule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 JamesJoule
@speedfreak48t5p said:

the thing with fallout 4 and mgs 5 is that we expected these games to be industry changing games ... and after the disappointing reveal of fallout 4.. the more they show of the game the more i get dissapointed ... is this really the game we were anticipating since 2008's fallout 3 !!! as for mgs 5 ... the first thing that really hit was the 40$ freaken 5 minute demo !!! it was a slap in the face of all mgs fans ... a direct robbery by konami ... i dont know how kojima put up with all this bullshit ...and now .. finally we are getting the full game we've been waiting for .. they start announcing stupid shit like microtranscations and dlc

the only game that respected gamers and didn't try to rob them blind ... had the courage to admit pc graphical downgrade because console companies made them do it in return for supporting their huge costly game

they made a wonder of a game that surpassed all the hype and had tremendous critical success .. comparing this to bathesda's and konami's bullshit ... i find it clear which game deserves the title

DrFlyntCoal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18  Edited By DrFlyntCoal
Member since 2015 • 496 Posts

Phantom Pain, Persona 5 & Fallout have yet to come out. It'll be a close call nonetheless.

speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 speedfreak48t5p

@JamesJoule said:
@speedfreak48t5p said:

the thing with fallout 4 and mgs 5 is that we expected these games to be industry changing games ... and after the disappointing reveal of fallout 4.. the more they show of the game the more i get dissapointed ... is this really the game we were anticipating since 2008's fallout 3 !!! as for mgs 5 ... the first thing that really hit was the 40$ freaken 5 minute demo !!! it was a slap in the face of all mgs fans ... a direct robbery by konami ... i dont know how kojima put up with all this bullshit ...and now .. finally we are getting the full game we've been waiting for .. they start announcing stupid shit like microtranscations and dlc

the only game that respected gamers and didn't try to rob them blind ... had the courage to admit pc graphical downgrade because console companies made them do it in return for supporting their huge costly game

they made a wonder of a game that surpassed all the hype and had tremendous critical success .. comparing this to bathesda's and konami's bullshit ... i find it clear which game deserves the title

Still waiting for the problem with Fallout 4, which looked fantastic graphically.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

Your whole points with Fallout 4 is silly, even more so when Fallout 3 was given the title " Game of the Year" and therefor an upgrade to a game given the title would merit the "upgrade" a contender to the title aswell.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By RSM-HQ

@JamesJoule said:
@speedfreak48t5p said:

Your complaints are eye-boggling. You've basically said "we expect better from Metal Gear V and Fallout 4", because why exactly? Unrealistic standards is your own gripe and no-one elses.

TW3 has $DLC$, which got announced way, way, before release so try not so hard dubbing the yet to be released MGSV game as a scam when CDprojekt Red is playing the exact same game. Sure CD is giving some cosmetic junk for free. But not the cut essentials.

The Witcher 3 reasons for the downgrade are not which you say- Consoles didn't "make them do it" without the console market the game wouldn't have financially paid off.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/witcher-3-dev-responds-to-graphics-downgrade-conce/1100-6427502/

With this, bye your logic. TW3 failed unrealistic expectations. Just like yours for FO4 and MGSV.

Because it's TW2.5 open-world edition, with micro-transactions.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

@Archangel3371 said:

I'll wait and see how the rest of the games for this year turn out. The list of games that I think/hope will be strong GotY canidates are:

• The Witcher 3
  • Halo 5
  • Metal Gear Solid V
  • Fallout 4
  • Final Fantasy XV
  • Xenoblade Chronicles X

No bloodborne? awww.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44105 Posts

@Gamerno6666 said:
@Archangel3371 said:

• The Witcher 3
  • Halo 5
  • Metal Gear Solid V
  • Fallout 4
  • Final Fantasy XV
  • Xenoblade Chronicles X

No bloodborne? awww.

I don't have a PS4 so it's not a game that I'm able to play therefor I don't think that it'd be fair for me to judge it.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10416 Posts

any more stupid reasons why we shouldn't expect much from upcoming games op?

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#25  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56039 Posts

Well we still have Metal Gear Solid V and Fallout 4 to be GOTY but for now, I'll say Witcher 3 is my GOTY for now.

JamesJoule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 JamesJoule

@RSM-HQ said:
@JamesJoule said:
@speedfreak48t5p said:

Your complaints are eye-boggling. You've basically said "we expect better from Metal Gear V and Fallout 4", because why exactly? Unrealistic standards is your own gripe and no-one elses.

TW3 has $DLC$, which got announced way, way, before release so try not so hard dubbing the yet to be released MGSV game as a scam when CDprojekt Red is playing the exact same game. Sure CD is giving some cosmetic junk for free. But not the cut essentials.

The Witcher 3 reasons for the downgrade are not which you say- Consoles didn't "make them do it" without the console market the game wouldn't have financially paid off.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/witcher-3-dev-responds-to-graphics-downgrade-conce/1100-6427502/

With this, bye your logic. TW3 failed unrealistic expectations. Just like yours for FO4 and MGSV.

these ''unrealistic standards'' are based on previous entries in the series.. i am not making them up as i go ... we simply expect the games to at least be as good as their previous iterations was .. not to mention they should be better ... being a worse game than their previous iterations is out question and unacceptable at all

concerning the witcher 3 downgrade whoever .. you should read your the article you mentioned carefully and see the reasons of the downgrade in his quotes ...

and where exactly are the paid dlc and microtransactions in the witcher 3 ???

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#27 mastermetal777
Member since 2009 • 3236 Posts

@JamesJoule: since when did a graphical downgrade equal a change in gameplay? If the game is still great to play, then it shouldn't matter.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#28 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@JamesJoule said:

fallout 4 graphics are shit and technically it's falllout 3 hd

and metal gear solid 5 is infested by microtransactions

also batman arkham knight is not the game we were expecting it to be " according to reviewers and videos "

the only game that stands out .. living up to the expectations and all the hype and surpassing it.. recieving near complete critical scores ... is nothing else than the witcher 3 ..

obviously this comes from a huge fallout and metal gear fan who's disspointed by recent reveals ...

i hope i am wrong .. i really do.. but so far it looks like these games will not be the masterpieces they easily could have been

First i would like to point out that this is the wrong forum for this kind of post. Systemwars is more the sort of place you want to be posting something like this.

Also i would like to know which time machine you have used since you already know what all the upcoming games are like? or wait you don´t have one right. so perhaps take it easy and remember that just because you dont like something, doesnt mean the rest of the world feels the same way.

Also could you please link to those reviews and videos that says Batman Arkham Knight is not what someone expected it to be? because besides Gamespots grumpy old man Kevin, Batman have gotten praise across the board and are only 0.2 points behind Witcher 3.

So no Witcher 3 is far from GOTY , infact i will be very surprised if it goes that far any other place than here at Gamespot.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#29 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

Good for it.

But since i didn't play last years GOTY i think i will live with not finishing this years GOTY.

When will we move on from The Witcher 3?

Ross_the_Boss6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Ross_the_Boss6
Member since 2009 • 4056 Posts

@speedfreak48t5p said:

It will be a buggy mess on release. That's guaranteed.

speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 speedfreak48t5p

@Ross_the_Boss6 said:
@speedfreak48t5p said:

It will be a buggy mess on release. That's guaranteed.

TC should've mentioned that then.

JamesJoule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 JamesJoule

@speedfreak48t5p said:
@JamesJoule said:
@speedfreak48t5p said:

Still waiting for the problem with Fallout 4, which looked fantastic graphically.

problems with fallout 4 : graphics are shit .. 30 fps cap even on pc .. same non-functional engine that was used for a decade ... they even said that they downscaled graphics to have retain the interactivity of the gameplay ... this is how bad the engine is... and of course BUGS .. when we're talking about fallout 4 we were expecting it to be mind blowing in every way possible .. then we saw the reveal trailer pre e3 ... i didn't judge it based on a 2 minute trailer ... waited for e3 gameplay and was shocked by the terrible body animations .. voice acting ... even the combat system and shooting mechanics are the same as fallout 3 .. is this the game we've been waiting for since 2008's fallout 3 !!!

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By RSM-HQ

@Jacanuk:

@JamesJoule said:
@RSM-HQ said:
@JamesJoule said:
@speedfreak48t5p said:

these ''unrealistic standards'' are based on previous entries in the series.. i am not making them up as i go ... we simply expect the games to at least be as good as their previous iterations was .. not to mention they should be better ... being a worse game than their previous iterations is out question and unacceptable at all

concerning the witcher 3 downgrade whoever .. you should read your the article you mentioned carefully and see the reasons of the downgrade in his quotes ...

1) So you're saying they're not as good when they haven't been released? Love that logic.

2) I've read the article, it explains the point I made, wihout backing up the consoles CD PR would have had financial difficulties. Not Sony or MicroSoft 'forced' the overall downgrade. It was the developers choice.

3) https://www.gog.com/game/the_witcher_3_wild_hunt_expansion_pass

Last I checked that's DLC/ cut content.

speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 speedfreak48t5p

@JamesJoule said:
@speedfreak48t5p said:
@JamesJoule said:
@speedfreak48t5p said:

problems with fallout 4 : graphics are shit .. 30 fps cap even on pc .. same non-functional engine that was used for a decade ... they even said that they downscaled graphics to have retain the interactivity of the gameplay ... this is how bad the engine is... and of course BUGS .. when we're talking about fallout 4 we were expecting it to be mind blowing in every way possible .. then we saw the reveal trailer pre e3 ... i didn't judge it based on a 2 minute trailer ... waited for e3 gameplay and was shocked by the terrible body animations .. voice acting ... even the combat system and shooting mechanics are the same as fallout 3 .. is this the game we've been waiting for since 2008's fallout 3 !!!

Wrong, they confirmed PC will be unrestricted.

Animations look much improved over last gen, get glasses.

The combat looks infinitely more functional than Fallout 3, what footage are you watching? lol

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By RSM-HQ

For the two talking about bugs in Fallout.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uc6RnI47vTI

Enjoy ;)

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

#36 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

hold your horses you have Bloodborne, Batman, Fallout 4, Metal Gear Solid V, Mad Max, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Battlefront, are all games that can beat it

JamesJoule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 JamesJoule

@RSM-HQ said:

@Jacanuk:

@JamesJoule said:
@RSM-HQ said:
@JamesJoule said:
@speedfreak48t5p said:

1) So you're saying they're not as good when they haven't been released? Love that logic.

2) I've read the article, it explains the point I made, wihout backing up the consoles CD PR would have had financial difficulties. Not Sony or MicroSoft 'forced' the overall downgrade. It was the developers choice.

3) https://www.gog.com/game/the_witcher_3_wild_hunt_expansion_pass

Last I checked that's DLC/ cut content.

1 - you said unrealstic standards ... was making that point clear... as for that they hadn't been released yet .. usually a game is suppose to look at it's best in commercial footage and way better than it's really is to get people hyped .. so if this footage is shitty .. imagine the what the acutal game is like ... the footage is ofc. not that bad .. but it's bad because it's fallout ... it's supposed to be phenomenal .. not just " not bad " or " okay " level

as for mgs it's looking to be an amazing game .. but konami's bullshit is holding it back with a 40$ 5 minute demo and now microtransactions.. that's the disappointment of mgs

2 - about the witcher 3 ... it's the same thing .. you're confirming my point ... they can't financially develop that game on their own .. they need help from microsoft and sony ... so why did he mentioned that when asked about PC graphical downgrade .. it's obviously because they conditioned parity between pc and consoles .. so they had to downgrade the game to not lose sony's support

3- expansion !! as of new campaign and hours of gameplay .. i dont recall expansions being called dlc/cut content before ... cut content is when you announce the stupid dlc before even the game releases .. they said there'would be future expansions .. how's that a "" cut content "" ...

lastly you mentioned witcher 3 having microtransactions !!! please check the facts before saying and play the game

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By RSM-HQ

@JamesJoule: I think you're ignorantly defending the game too much and holding your ears to anyone who disagrees, and even supplies links of evidence.

Don't really care to continue a conversation that isn't moving forward,"Nuh Uh" seems to be the definition of your replies so consider this my finale. But I'll end trying to clarify your last few sentences.

DLC= Downloadable content, expansion is an outdated term that will fade back to the 90's. If you download it? It's DLC!

Two "expansions" 'lol' that got revealed over a year before The Witcher III's release.

Microtransactions/ Micro= small, one DLC is speculated at 15hours but based on how big they claimed the main-game it'll be 5hours; compared to main-game??? Small, at $20 at least. If I give the DLC one approval it's the price.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt knowing what a transaction means_

XIntoTheBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#39 XIntoTheBlue
Member since 2009 • 1070 Posts

@ProtossX said:

Witcher 3 is not open world enough.

In Skyrim you can kill villagers you can kill kids its like open world like grand theft auto kill anything you want

in witcher 3 you are a good guy and you can't kill towns folks and kids an stuff like that its nothing open about it

imo ill wait for fallout 4 for a true open world and that will get goty withcer 3 dev u need to learn how to let me make my own character my own way an let me kill whoever i want period

I have to disagree that an open world requires the player controlled character be able to kill everything in sight. A game is not defined to be a "true open world" because you can kill everything that exists. That's just an absurd notion.

waffleboy22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#40 waffleboy22
Member since 2013 • 305 Posts

I'm probably kicking a hornets nest here, but I think that Skyrim and even Oblivion and Morrowind were a bit better than the Witcher 3. The Witcher 3 was great and it was a fantastic conclusion to the series, but I honestly think that Bethesda just knows open world a lot better than CD Projekt, which is unsuprising given their development histories. Considering this, I think that it's fair to say that Fallout 4, a game obviously made by the makers of Skyrim, Oblivion, etc., will be just as open and exciting, if not more than these previous titles, making it, in my opinion, likely better than the Witcher 3. Again, I could be completely wrong, and there could be a hundred other games on both the AAA and indie front that take the position for game of the year, (especially if No Man's Sky manages to launch this year and is as good as it looks, but that's one big if), but right now i'm still putting my money on Fallout

Avatar image for JayQproductions
JayQproductions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 JayQproductions
Member since 2007 • 1806 Posts

The Witcher 3 will be forgotten in 2-3 months. Game of the year will probably go to Fallout 4.

JamesJoule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 JamesJoule

@RSM-HQ said:

@JamesJoule: I think you're ignorantly defending the game too much and holding your ears to anyone who disagrees, and even supplies links of evidence.

Don't really care to continue a conversation that isn't moving forward,"Nuh Uh" seems to be the definition of your replies so consider this my finale. But I'll end trying to clarify your last few sentences.

DLC= Downloadable content, expansion is an outdated term that will fade back to the 90's. If you download it? It's DLC!

Two "expansions" 'lol' that got revealed over a year before The Witcher III's release.

Microtransactions/ Micro= small, one DLC is speculated at 15hours but based on how big they claimed the main-game it'll be 5hours; compared to main-game??? Small, at $20 at least. If I give the DLC one approval it's the price.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt knowing what a transaction means_

pretty sure that the term expansion is supposed to be under the term downloadable content .. but i am not discussing the terms and words here .. i'm discussing what are they reffering to .. have you ever heard the term a stand alone dlc !! no because dlc usually refers to new skins .. new weapons.. a map or so .. and please correct me if i'm wrong here

as of the 2 expansions that got revealed over a YEAR ago before the witcher's release ... again dont mention things that are absolutely not ture ... the expansion pass was revealed AFTER they said the game went gold before a less than a month of release .. and we're arguing about cut content .. please play the game to see if there's any expansion bait or " cut content "

i dont care what the word microtrnsactions mean .. in gaming it refers to using real money to buy ingame items .. that what we were talking about ..

and correct me if i'm wrong

Ubisoftno1fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Ubisoftno1fan
Member since 2015 • 35 Posts

GOTY is between Fallout 4 and Witcher 3.

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#45 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5903 Posts

I disagree about Fallout 4, it could easily make a run for GOTY and probably will.

But The Witcher 3 is one of the greatest games I've played. As of right now, there's nothing I would put next to it.

Gorehowl81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#46  Edited By Gorehowl81
Member since 2015 • 114 Posts

From a neutral, objective view: Metal Gear Solid V: Phantom Pain is the crownjewel of 2015 and goty.

If you strip bias and preference from gamers and look at the games with the following criteria then there is no other game that comes close to Metal Gear.

Gameplay, Depth, Story, Graphics, Innovation are points to take into consideration. In you compare mechanics then you see how MGSV's D-dog puts Fallout 4's dog to shame.

Same can be said about the D-Walker vs Power suit comparison and.. the 'housing' vs MGSV's motherbase. Witcher 3 is a beautiful open world rpg, but when you look closer, the combatsystem is fun but not that engaging vs MGSV's ridiculous freedom how you want to take out enemies.

Fallout 4 in the same regard is simple: basically a first person shooter where you can aim for parts. Nothing groundbreaking. MSGV requires planning and intelligence and that's a treshold for some, making it a less popular choise unfortunately.

Artificial Intelligence. Again, no contest: MSGV's ai will adapt to your tactics and will even use it against you. Not to mention these enemies have a day and night rythm and even personal stats. (One soldier being better than the other and might contain special trademarks).

A game can be superb, but it must run nice. When you look at the graphics, it is by all means Next Gen ánd it runs smooth on 1080 and 60fps. Fallout 4 looks less stunning and is set on 30fps. Now when you look at the story, Metal Gear Solid contains one of the most epic, deep and mature stories seen in agame. Yes, it's combined with japanese humor which makes it even more complicated for some people since they seem to be stuck with one mindset. Compared with the Witcher 3 and Fallout 4, these stories look pale, generic.

Innovation A stealth game in an open world. But is it? It's more, much more than that. It doesn't offer the wide range of full open world. What it does do is offer an open world with side missions that does not feel like a simple fetch-or-kill-and-get-rewarded missions since the MGSV missions add to the story, giving plot twists and make you think about your decision. For example your companion (you can have 4) can be obtained or left alone. Your decision during missions will impact the direction of your motherbase. Speaking of which, the motherbase offers another game it itself and is completely optional to discover. Also, there is an option to enable multiplayer, which means other players mayt attack your motherbase! And apart from that MSG has his own Metal gear Solid Online game. (so two seperate multiplayers). Fallout 4 does have a nice integrated system of housing and protection, but again, it's scope is less than of MGSV.

Lastly the customization. For the main missions you have to play as Big Boss. But.. the side missions can be played with any of the recruits (includinng female chars and each having different stats). Weapons, hardware (including gear for your companions) and gear are developed through stages and can all be customized in a vast array of options.

So, yes.. MGSV is not for everyone because it's a specialty game. Apart from that it's a game of games when you look at the detail and mechanics that play fluidly on any system. Consider all these criteria and you can only conclude that Metal Gear Solid V: Phantom Pain is easily the game of the year for all the right reasons from an objective point of view.

Loading Video...

This music sums it up really.. *chills*

Loading Video...

dwispa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 dwispa
Member since 2014 • 199 Posts

I was thinking about buying the game but I was turned off the combat mechanics in Witcher 2. How is it with part 3?

Dark_sageX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 236

#48  Edited By Dark_sageX
Member since 2003 • 3561 Posts

Probably, since Arkham Knight lost that opportunity with WB **** ups due to laziness, incompetence and their greed (with all the DLCs and the season pass being a staggering $40 which is practically the price of a game), then there is also MGS5 but with all the crap thats been happening with Konami I'm having my doubts.

Gorehowl81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#49  Edited By Gorehowl81
Member since 2015 • 114 Posts

@Dark_sageX said:

Probably, since Arkham Knight lost that opportunity with WB **** ups due to laziness, incompetence and their greed (with all the DLCs and the season pass being a staggering $40 which is practically the price of a game), then there is also MGS5 but with all the crap thats been happening with Konami I'm having my doubts.

I fail to see how a company becomes a point of criteria when a reviewer looks at the content of a game..

@dwispa

Witcher 3's combatsystem is very basic. Hack and slash is your main means of combat augmented with your Witcher powers. Another reason for me why Witcher 3 isn't the best game of the year.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

I have not played it but any game that you must play on the higher difficulty for the game to be fun should not be game of the year.