The Wii is dead.

• 88 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

cyberstalker1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 cyberstalker1
Member since 2011 • 412 Posts

They no longer sell them at Wal-Mart. That means the system is dead right? If they aren't selling them new anymore??

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts
cyberstalker and his usual golden threads. Might only be your walmart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#3 AvatarMan96
Member since 2010 • 7324 Posts

There's other stores besides Wal-Mart, ya know...

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#4 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts
yes it is dead, don't worry about it anymore
Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#5 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

Yes the Wii is dead. Thus far there are no announced new games upcoming for Wii in 2013. Maybe a few sports games, or music/dance games but less than 10 games in 2013.

So Walmart has gotten rid of it's remaining stock. The Wii is indeed dead.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44161 Posts
Not quite dead yet. Dragon Quest X comes out sometime in mid 2013 I believe.
Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts
It was never very much alive to begin with
Justforvisit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 Justforvisit
Member since 2011 • 2660 Posts

It was never very much alive to begin withBlack_Knight_00

Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2
Super Mario Kart Wii and SMK 7
Super Smash Bros Brawl
New Super Mario Bros Wii
Zelda Twilight Princess & Zelda Skyward Sword
The Last Story
Xenoblade Chronicles
Pandora's Tower

Every good game for the Wii on this list. And when again did it came out? 2008?

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Black_Knight_00

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"]It was never very much alive to begin withJustforvisit

Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2
Super Smash Bros Brawl
New Super Mario Bros Wii
The Last Story
Xenoblade Chronicles
Pandora's Tower

2006, and there's a few more decent games, but still not much of a library in 6 years
Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

It will live on inside Wii U. I still have a handfull of Wii games I need to buy.

capaho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 capaho
Member since 2003 • 1253 Posts

It will live on inside Wii U. I still have a handfull of Wii games I need to buy.

Bigboi500
Will the Wii U live on? Some reports have it that Wii U sales have already dropped off.
CRS98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12 CRS98
Member since 2004 • 9036 Posts
[QUOTE="Justforvisit"]

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"]It was never very much alive to begin withBlack_Knight_00

Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2
Super Smash Bros Brawl
New Super Mario Bros Wii
The Last Story
Xenoblade Chronicles
Pandora's Tower

2006, and there's a few more decent games, but still not much of a library in 6 years

There's a reason most developers focused on the HD twins. They make more money per game, and allow for tech that the Wii simply cannot provide.
Avatar image for Grammaton-Cleric
Grammaton-Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Grammaton-Cleric
Member since 2002 • 7515 Posts

[QUOTE="Bigboi500"]

capaho

Will the Wii U live on? Some reports have it that Wii U sales have already dropped off.

The anecdotal evidence suggests the Wii U isn't in any type of real demand. I see the damn thing everywhere and in most cases the inventory is plentiful. It is easily one of the most subdued launches in recent memory and I can only see sales stagnating once the holiday season ends.

capaho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 capaho

The anecdotal evidence suggests the Wii U isn't in any type of real demand. I see the damn thing everywhere and in most cases the inventory is plentiful. It is easily one of the most subdued launches in recent memory and I can only see sales stagnating once the holiday season ends.

Grammaton-Cleric

My sources in Japan tell me that there is ample supply in the stores there as well, which is unusual for a newly launched console. New game hardware from Japanese companies usually sells out in Japan following the initial release, but that hasn't happened with the Wii U.

wizdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#15 wizdom
Member since 2003 • 10111 Posts

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"]It was never very much alive to begin withJustforvisit

Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2
Super Smash Bros Brawl
New Super Mario Bros Wii
The Last Story
Xenoblade Chronicles
Pandora's Tower

Came out in 2006, and there are other stores besides Walmart, considering the Wii U is out, of course it will die out eventually, but very slowly.
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Black_Knight_00
[QUOTE="Bigboi500"]

capaho

They'll pick up again once some proper first party games start coming out. They will likely die entirely in 6 months when the xbox 720 is announced.
Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Bigboi500

[QUOTE="capaho"][QUOTE="Bigboi500"]

Black_Knight_00

They'll pick up again once some proper first party games start coming out. They will likely die entirely in 6 months when the xbox 720 is announced.

Maybe in your dreams. Nintendo fans won't be jumping ship for any Micro$oft products, just like vice versa. They both have different markets.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

I went to Target yesterday. Bought (among many other things) a 3DS XL for my daughters. While I was there, a woman said her son wanted a Wii. The clerk said 'Do you mean a Wii U?' (they had a quite a few in stock) she shrugged and asked 'What's the difference?' the clerk explained it to her, then she went with the Wii. I managed not to laugh. The upshot is, the Wii still lives, if only because casuals have no idea what the Wii U is.

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Black_Knight_00

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"][QUOTE="capaho"] Will the Wii U live on? Some reports have it that Wii U sales have already dropped off.Bigboi500

Maybe in your dreams. Nintendo fans won't be jumping ship for any Micro$oft products, just like vice versa. They both have different markets.

I never mentioned Nintendo fans. Those will buy the system regardless. I'm talking about the uninformed audience. Once the first few commercials for next gen exclusives come out, the Wii U will look like a piece of outdated garbage. Hell it does now.
Justforvisit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20 Justforvisit
Member since 2011 • 2660 Posts

[QUOTE="Bigboi500"]

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"] They'll pick up again once some proper first party games start coming out. They will likely die entirely in 6 months when the xbox 720 is announced.Black_Knight_00

I never mentioned Nintendo fans. Those will buy the system regardless. I'm talking about the uninformed audience. Once the first few commercials for next gen exclusives come out, the Wii U will look like a piece of outdated garbage. Hell it does now.

Assassin's Creed III, Batman Arkham City, Mass Effect etc. etc. all so far have gotten mediocre reviews and ratings from all corners of the internet, often stating the WiiU Controller just doesn't work with them from a gameplay perspective.

When you think about how old some of these titles already are and how perfect they worked on PC / other Consoles it's more than poor of Nintendo they even can't just PORT a once perfectly fine working game to their system. Also, a brand new console you can play years old titles on and even those don't work very well in most cases from a technically point of view. When next gen comes, the WiiU will be dust. But well, after Sega, every great gaming company deserves a console flop. Let's all give a warm welcome to the WiiU next to the Sega Dreamcast, 3DO etc. ^^

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Bigboi500

[QUOTE="Bigboi500"]

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"] They'll pick up again once some proper first party games start coming out. They will likely die entirely in 6 months when the xbox 720 is announced.Black_Knight_00

That's your opinion, but those that are comparing hardware will also think the same about any console hardware compared to PC, so who cares?

Microsoft doesn't know what it wants to be these days, the company has shifted its collective focus so many times they're dizzy. One minute they want to destroy Sony, the next they want to appeal to "hardcore gamers", next they want to appeal to the Wii crowd and now they want to be Direct TV and Big Brother all rolled into one. Steambox just might beat them at their own game and take away those who want a cheap PC wannabee in their homes. Add the fact that Microsoft all but gave up on their own developers and the next Xbox system might bomb harder than Windows 8.

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Black_Knight_00
That's your opinion, but those that are comparing hardware will also think the same about any console hardware compared to PC, so who cares?Bigboi500
We're talking consoles. Someone who's out to buy a gaming console in 6 months will see the Wii U and will see xbox 720 trailers. Why would he blow 500 bucks on a Wii U+games when he can wait for a system that's twice as powerful? I'm only saying 720 because it's coming before the PS4, we all know microsoft has no idea what they are doing anymore.
Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Bigboi500

[QUOTE="Bigboi500"]That's your opinion, but those that are comparing hardware will also think the same about any console hardware compared to PC, so who cares?Black_Knight_00
We're talking consoles. Someone who's out to buy a gaming console in 6 months will see the Wii U and will see xbox 720 trailers. Why would he blow 500 bucks on a Wii U+games when he can wait for a system that's twice as powerful? I'm only saying 720 because it's coming before the PS4, we all know microsoft has no idea what they are doing anymore.

I'm just saying a lot of people who buy consoles don't get them because of power. If that was the most important thing for buying them, those that had it wouldn't consistantly come in second or third place almost every generation. There's going to be so many competitors in the market this time around, the only thing that will stand out are the ones with the most exclusive games.

Microsoft and Sony console fans have been saying all generation long that sales aren't what's important, so why the change of heart all the sudden?

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 CarnageHeart

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"][QUOTE="Bigboi500"]Maybe in your dreams. Nintendo fans won't be jumping ship for any Micro$oft products, just like vice versa. They both have different markets.

Bigboi500

That's your opinion, but those that are comparing hardware will also think the same about any console hardware compared to PC, so who cares?

Microsoft doesn't know what it wants to be these days, the company has shifted its collective focus so many times they're dizzy. One minute they want to destroy Sony, the next they want to appeal to "hardcore gamers", next they want to appeal to the Wii crowd and now they want to be Direct TV and Big Brother all rolled into one. Steambox just might beat them at their own game and take away those who want a cheap PC wannabee in their homes. Add the fact that Microsoft all but gave up on their own developers and the next Xbox system might bomb harder than Windows 8.

MS's head isn't exactly in the game, but that's not important because third parties have continued to offer the X360 strong support (X360 owners buy a wide range of games). People can and do ignore the Kinect and just enjoy the likes of Far Cry 3, Minecraft, Dishonored, AC3 and X-Com. Unless the X720 is crippled by its default controller, I don't doubt that it will be another great gaming machine that developers and consumers love.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Bigboi500

MS's head isn't exactly in the game, but that's not important because third parties have continued to offer the X360 strong support (X360 owners buy a wide range of games). People can and do ignore the Kinect and just enjoy the likes of Far Cry 3, Minecraft, Dishonored, AC3 and X-Com. Unless the X720 is crippled by its default controller, I don't doubt that it will be another great gaming machine that developers and consumers love.

CarnageHeart

I think they might experience that dreaded third system curse this time around. If they seriously try to implement some of the things that have been rumored, they'll bite the dust this generation. No used games and head counts to charge more per game/movie. As absurd as the latter sounds, the high-ups in that corperation filed patents and at least considered such nonsense. Since they're the only ones who are charging for access already on games they've sold, and offered a cheap upfront cost with a higher-than-normal monthly XBL fee to get their systems, I wouldn't put anything past them now.

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Black_Knight_00

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"][QUOTE="Bigboi500"]That's your opinion, but those that are comparing hardware will also think the same about any console hardware compared to PC, so who cares?Bigboi500

I'm just saying a lot of people who buy consoles don't get them because of power. If that was the most important thing for buying them, those that had it wouldn't consistantly come in second or third place almost every generation. There's going to be so many competitors in the market this time around, the only thing that will stand out are the ones with the most exclusive games.

Microsoft and Sony console fans have been saying all generation long that sales aren't what's important, so why the change of heart all the sudden?

Sales are essential, just not absolute like Nintendo would have you believe (to them, 40 million-selling Wii Fit is the best game of the generation). Casuals looking for a new console are attracted by two main things: new gimmicks and graphics. The Wii sold extremely well because of its novelty factor and party focus, but the Wii U is basically just a glorified DS, except less versatile, meaning the gimmick factor is much less impressive than its predecessor. Still, it would be an (almost) perfectly fine system, were it not for the 2005 hardware it mounts. That, once again, is the big flaw that will render it pointless in a few months, just like the Wii was. That's also what will hold back sales with casuals looking for better graphics: those people will buy whatever comes out first between PS4 and X720 as soon as Halo 5 Or Battlefield 5 are shown, leaving the Wii U to collect dust on the shelves.
Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Bigboi500

[QUOTE="Bigboi500"]

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"] We're talking consoles. Someone who's out to buy a gaming console in 6 months will see the Wii U and will see xbox 720 trailers. Why would he blow 500 bucks on a Wii U+games when he can wait for a system that's twice as powerful? I'm only saying 720 because it's coming before the PS4, we all know microsoft has no idea what they are doing anymore.Black_Knight_00

Sales are essential, just not absolute like Nintendo would have you believe (to them, 40 million-selling Wii Fit is the best game of the generation). Casuals looking for a new console are attracted by two main things: new gimmicks and graphics. The Wii sold extremely well because of its novelty factor and party focus, but the Wii U is basically just a glorified DS, except less versatile, meaning the gimmick factor is much less impressive than its predecessor. Still, it would be an (almost) perfectly fine system, were it not for the 2005 hardware it mounts. That, once again, is the big flaw that will render it pointless in a few months, just like the Wii was. That's also what will hold back sales with casuals looking for better graphics: those people will buy whatever comes out first between PS4 and X720 as soon as Halo 5 Or Battlefield 5 are shown, leaving the Wii U to collect dust on the shelves.

I think it will sell more system than the PS3 did in a worst-case-scenario, regardless of what casuals console shooter fans do this gen. It will have Wii casuals who started gaming with it last generation, Nintendo manchildren like myself, the Japanese market, kids and exclusive game fans.

Miiverse has a lot of potential and is also something that shouldn't be overlooked, just like the tablet controller. Mix all that with the Nintendo anchor franchises and Wii U will do well enough this generation, regardless of how powerful the next Microsoft and Sony consoles may or may not be.

I think both Sony and Microsoft are the ones who need to worry about people being interested in their next systems. I've already said as to why I think Microsoft will have problems, but Sony will have to walk a very fine line between power and price. One wrong move and they might crash and burn. Their market share has dropped consistantly through the years, and they don't seem to learn from their mistakes, eg is Vita. They have such an ego that they continually think their name brand alone is enough to get people to fork over high upfront prices even when they fail to innovate or push forward anything besides non-pc hardware, and have little to offer of exclusive games. We all said they'd learned their lesson after PSP, but did the almost exact same thing with Vita.

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Black_Knight_00
[Sony and Microsoft] have little to offer of exclusive games.Bigboi500
Ok for microsoft, but PS3 exclusives have been monumental this generation. Saying Sony hasn't offered enough exclusives is preposterous.
Grammaton-Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Grammaton-Cleric

Bigboi500

That's a staggeringly ironic comment coming from a Nintendo advocate because while MS and Sony have, to varying degrees, pursued the casual market space both companies enjoy robust hardcore offerings and third party support that places them heads and shoulder above anything Nintendo can offer.

The true distinction is that MS and Sony continue to deliver games and foster third party support that appeals to the core enthusiasts while Nintendo keeps jerking off with cheap, vapid gimmicks to mask their inability to innovate beyond the aping of populist tech trends. If any company is suffering from a severe identity crisis it is Nintendo, who has become so far removed from the core gamer that they thought releasing a console with current gen specs and inferior ports of pre-existing software was going to generate interest from people like me, which is both asinine and woefully ignorant.

You are also gravely mistaken if you believe that the same casuals who purchased the Wii will be returning for a Wii U en mass. That particular demographic, which is the same group who propelled Nintendo to the top of the sales charts this generation, won't be returning because this demographic doesn't invest in generational hardware cycles and many of these people purchased a Wii as a fad and then subsequently let it collect dust. Such ultra-casual consumers are not a sustainable market, as Nintendo discovered during the last two years of the Wii's pitiful lifecycle.

The truth is that Nintendo wants the hardcore market back; they just have absolutely no clue on how to achieve that goal.

Grammaton-Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Grammaton-Cleric

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"][QUOTE="Bigboi500"]That's your opinion, but those that are comparing hardware will also think the same about any console hardware compared to PC, so who cares?Bigboi500

Which means Nintendo is already finished because as soon as the new consoles hit with improved specs, the Wii U becomes yet another archaic console that most developers will ignore entirely or use to publish last-gen ports and mediocre shovelware.

Hell, the Wii U can't even get access to current gen third party games like Far Cry 3, Hitman, Metal Gear Rising, etc.

As to sales, the Wii was an anomaly; a fad and like all fads, it eventually stopped being en vogue and when that happened the Wii crashed hard.

And this time around, Nintendo isn't going to have legions of soccer moms and ultra-casual consumers to buoy the sales of their clunky, flaccid console. As you stated, it's going to be all about the exclusives and while Nintendo will once again churn out their obligatory franchises, they won't have anywhere near the variety or quantity of their competitors.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 CarnageHeart

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"][QUOTE="Bigboi500"]I'm just saying a lot of people who buy consoles don't get them because of power. If that was the most important thing for buying them, those that had it wouldn't consistantly come in second or third place almost every generation. There's going to be so many competitors in the market this time around, the only thing that will stand out are the ones with the most exclusive games.

Bigboi500

I think it will sell more system than the PS3 did in a worst-case-scenario, regardless of what casuals console shooter fans do this gen. It will have Wii casuals who started gaming with it last generation, Nintendo manchildren like myself, the Japanese market, kids and exclusive game fans.

Miiverse has a lot of potential and is also something that shouldn't be overlooked, just like the tablet controller. Mix all that with the Nintendo anchor franchises and Wii U will do well enough this generation, regardless of how powerful the next Microsoft and Sony consoles may or may not be.

I think both Sony and Microsoft are the ones who need to worry about people being interested in their next systems. I've already said as to why I think Microsoft will have problems, but Sony will have to walk a very fine line between power and price. One wrong move and they might crash and burn. Their market share has dropped consistantly through the years, and they don't seem to learn from their mistakes, eg is Vita. They have such an ego that they continually think their name brand alone is enough to get people to fork over high upfront prices even when they fail to innovate or push forward anything besides non-pc hardware, and have little to offer of exclusive games. We all said they'd learned their lesson after PSP, but did the almost exact same thing with Vita.

Casuals have no franchise loyalty. Don't take my word on it, look at the sales to sequels to megasuccessful casual games like Wii Sports and Carnival Games. Casuals will gravitate towards the most novel tech with the most attractive games. Casual game makers now focus on smartphone gaming and to a lesser extent, the Kinect.

An SD single touch tablet with extremely limited mobility holds no novelty appeal for casuals used to the HD multitouch tablets one finds in modern tablets and smartphones (if you want to see what tech excited casuals this Christmas, look no further than the iPhone).

Also, the PSP didn't put up DS numbers, but its was a strong seller which surpassed the DS in popularity in Japan, the only major market where the portable market is bigger than the console market (part of the drop in the quality of Japanese console games is because many of the big names now work on portable games). The Vita has been a commercial disappointment for Sony, but that isn't due to its design but the fact that as with the 3DS, people shied away from buying a portable at $250 (Nintendo buying exclusivity to Monster Hunter really hurt the Vita in Japan as well). Unlike Nintendo, Sony wasn't willing to take a steep lose on portable hardware (portable gaming is more important for Nintendo than console gaming, Sony is the reverse) so they kept the price of the Vita at $250, which translates into low support from consumers and developers.

In the console market Sony's big problem was the insane $600 launch price of the PS3 (due to expensive, novel tech like the Cell and Blu-Ray), but it sold more than any third or second place console in history (indeed, its sold better than every Nintendo console bar the Wii) due in no small part to the diversity of its library and the fact Sony kept its eye on the core ball (like its two competitors, it is involved in the casual market, but it hasn't chopped back on core game development the same way Nintendo and MS have).

capaho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 capaho

They'll pick up again once some proper first party games start coming out. They will likely die entirely in 6 months when the xbox 720 is announced.Black_Knight_00

The best estimates for the Xbox 720 at present are for a November 2013 release. I think that's too far ahead to affect current Wii U sales.

capaho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 capaho

Bigboi500

Don't confuse Microsoft the Xbox company with Microsoft the OS company. The Windows division seems to be in a state of disarray, but the Xbox division is focused and the 360 is an excellent game platform. I expect that the Xbox 720 will be a game powerhouse that will be unbeatable in terms of system power and capabilities.

Grieverr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Grieverr
Member since 2002 • 2835 Posts

When you think about how old some of these titles already are and how perfect they worked on PC / other Consoles it's more than poor of Nintendo they even can't just PORT a once perfectly fine working game to their system. Also, a brand new console you can play years old titles on and even those don't work very well in most cases from a technically point of view.

Justforvisit

That's not an entirely fair accusation. Firstly, it's not Nintendo that ported the game, so it's not their fault. Second, you're not looking at it in the way that these are games that came out late in the 360's/PS3's life and the developers have had time to maximize the hardware.

These games are quick, unoptimized ports with tacked-on tablet functionality, and first-gen releases on the Wii U. That they're fairly good ports actually makes me feel confident in the Wii U's capablities, because I know the games will get technically better.

Nintendo really has an uphill battle getting the 3rd party support, and that's what may make or break them. They did ok with the Wii with the Resident Evil games, Mad World, No More Heroes. They need much more support for core games now.

Grieverr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Grieverr

That's a staggeringly ironic comment coming from a Nintendo advocate because while MS and Sony have, to varying degrees, pursued the casual market space... Grammaton-Cleric

You mean MS and Sony scrambled to blatantly copy the Wii.

And mark my words, they WILL implement some sort of tablet functionality, possibly adding features to smartglass and vita funcitonality, if not something else entirely.

If any company is suffering from a severe identity crisis it is Nintendo, who has become so far removed from the core gamer that they thought releasing a console with current gen specs and inferior ports of pre-existing software was going to generate interest from people like me, which is both asinine and woefully ignorant. Grammaton-Cleric

I disagree. Nintendo has created a new identity with the Wii, and it is well defined. They stepped away from the tech wars. They offer casual games for the masses at a decent price. That price point does not allow for the latest tech. And the key word here is "the masses", because the masses do not have the newest toys, like us enthusiasts do.

Yes, although it may not sound like it, I'm certainly excited for the new gen of consoles and what they may offer, I just also enjoy Nintendo and don't see why everyone is bashing it for being "old technology".

You are also gravely mistaken if you believe that the same casuals who purchased the Wii will be returning for a Wii U en mass. That particular demographic, which is the same group who propelled Nintendo to the top of the sales charts this generation, won't be returning because this demographic doesn't invest in generational hardware cycles and many of these people purchased a Wii as a fad and then subsequently let it collect dust. Such ultra-casual consumers are not a sustainable market, as Nintendo discovered during the last two years of the Wii's pitiful lifecycle.

The truth is that Nintendo wants the hardcore market back; they just have absolutely no clue on how to achieve that goal.

Grammaton-Cleric

I agree 100%! Many people still don't know that a Wii U is a whole new console. What the heck happened to Nintendo's marketing team??

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Black_Knight_00

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"]They'll pick up again once some proper first party games start coming out. They will likely die entirely in 6 months when the xbox 720 is announced.capaho

The best estimates for the Xbox 720 at present are for a November 2013 release. I think that's too far ahead to affect current Wii U sales.

Which is exactly why I specifically said "announced" and not "released"
Grammaton-Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Grammaton-Cleric

I disagree. Nintendo has created a new identity with the Wii, and it is well defined. They stepped away from the tech wars. They offer casual games for the masses at a decent price. That price point does not allow for the latest tech. And the key word here is "the masses", because the masses do not have the newest toys, like us enthusiasts do.

Yes, although it may not sound like it, I'm certainly excited for the new gen of consoles and what they may offer, I just also enjoy Nintendo and don't see why everyone is bashing it for being "old technology".

Grieverr

Even assuming that Nintendo did create a clearly defined identity with the Wii, where is that identity now?

The Wii U is essentially a repackaged current gen console with a grossly expensive tablet controller that ensures this console the most expensive on the market. Unlike the Wii, the Wii U is also far more complicated to use and targets (albeit poorly) more traditional gamers, meaning the casual market that flocked to the Wii (many of them first-time gamers) will have no real incentive to purchase the new console, especially one that offers less product for a steeper price tag than the current competition.

Whatever branding they created with the Wii has been pretty much flushed down the crapper with the Wii U because despite having next to zero appeal for most hardcore enthusiasts it also does little to titillate the casual consumer. The Wii was cheap, easy to use and employed a unique (although admittedly vapid) interface where by contrast the Wii U is expensive, far more complicated to set up and implements a more traditional controller.

Also, you are incorrect in the assertion that Nintendo stepped away from the tech wars. They re-entered the tech wars with that overpriced controller and that was a very foolish move as once again they are going to be severely behind the technological curve but this time they won't have soccer moms and geriatrics playing around with waggle controls to save them.

And if the PS4 and XB3 actually launch at or around 400 dollars, Nintendo is going to have to slash the price of their system to the bone to keep from getting steamrolled.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#38 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts

I agree 100%! Many people still don't know that a Wii U is a whole new console. What the heck happened to Nintendo's marketing team??Grieverr

I think it's the DS-effect.

There was the first DS, the DS Lite, the DSi, the DSi XL, and now the 3DS. Nintendo trained the "casual" audience to treat new DSes as simple hardware revisions. The DSi could have very well been a new console with all the changes and additions they made, but it wasn't. Thus, that's caused the "casuals" to think of the 3DS as just another revision because it followed their naming conventions. That the DSi began the trend of making actual hardware additions made that seem all the more likely. Time has obviously helped fix the perception issues for the 3DS, but Nintendo didn't learn from it.

Just recently they announced and subsequently released the Wii Mini in certain territories. It's the old Wii without GameCube functionality or Wi-fi support at the cost of it being smaller and cheaper ($100). With the Wii U just having landed a month ago, this only contributes to the confusion around the Wii U. Only thing they've done to slow it is not sell the gamepad separately.

Philosopho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Philosopho
Member since 2012 • 86 Posts
[QUOTE="Bigboi500"]

capaho

Nope, Nintendo am doom3d. Just like they were in 1996, 2001, and 2006. :D
Grieverr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Grieverr

Even assuming that Nintendo did create a clearly defined identity with the Wii, where is that identity now?

Grammaton-Cleric

Still there. They have an inexpensive console with a new, easy to interface with controller. Yes, inexpensive because they can try and sell people the newest console, whereas not only is there no PS4/X720, but when they come out will probably be at a higher price point. Also, you can't be serious that touching a tablet screen is a more complicated setup. Just like the motion controls, it is intuitive, and many people know how to touch an icon.

Also, you are incorrect in the assertion that Nintendo stepped away from the tech wars. They re-entered the tech wars with that overpriced controller and that was a very foolish move as once again they are going to be severely behind the technological curve but this time they won't have soccer moms and geriatrics playing around with waggle controls to save them.

Grammaton-Cleric

I still stick to my "non-tech" argument. I don't consider the gamepad technologically advanced. I would assume neither does Nintendo. Its nowhere near an ipad, or kindle, for that matter. Nintendo is capitalizing on the tablet craze and is offering a cheap alternative, of sorts, to consumers. I mean, you can barely get an ipad mini for the price of a deluxe Wii U. Nintendo is still selling to buyers with lower budgets.

I do agree that they will not have the same consumer base as the Wii (soccer moms and geriatrics), and that can put them in a pretty bad spot. However, if they do get compelling software, and the tech gap isn't as huge as people are hoping, then MS and Sony will be in for a tough fight.

m25105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 m25105
Member since 2010 • 3135 Posts
It was never very much alive to begin withBlack_Knight_00
Except for the fact that it sold millions and millions and completely owned the PS3 and Xbox 360 in sales.
Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#42 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts
You guys know that Time magazine named the Wii U best gadget of the year, right?
MarkAndExecute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 MarkAndExecute
Member since 2012 • 450 Posts

Sure they do, if you were to combine PS3+360 sales = 140+ mil versus the Wii's 97+ mil. Power isn't as trivial as you think it is.

ZombieKiller7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#44 ZombieKiller7
Member since 2011 • 6463 Posts

For the people who use it and love it, it will never be dead.

For everyone else it was dead even the day it came out.

Stop posting.

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Black_Knight_00

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"]It was never very much alive to begin withm25105
Except for the fact that it sold millions and millions and completely owned the PS3 and Xbox 360 in sales.

And incidentally, the people who bought it are in the same age range as the one in your user picture.

GuyIncognito42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 GuyIncognito42
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts

Does the Wii U focus on the same style of casual gamer or is it geared to a more vast audience?

MarkAndExecute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 MarkAndExecute

You guys know that Time magazine named the Wii U best gadget of the year, right?Allicrombie
No, its the iPhone 5.

MarkAndExecute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 MarkAndExecute

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"]It was never very much alive to begin withm25105

And McDonalds sold millions of crappy cheeseburgers that taste like ****. Try again.

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#49 Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts

[QUOTE="Bigboi500"]

Grammaton-Cleric

That's a staggeringly ironic comment coming from a Nintendo advocate because while MS and Sony have, to varying degrees, pursued the casual market space both companies enjoy robust hardcore offerings and third party support that places them heads and shoulder above anything Nintendo can offer.

The true distinction is that MS and Sony continue to deliver games and foster third party support that appeals to the core enthusiasts >

Outside of Halo, Gears, and Forza MS sure as hell doesn't. I mean b*tch about nintendo rehashing all you want but atleast they have more than three core franchises

YoshiYogurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 YoshiYogurt
Member since 2010 • 6008 Posts
RIP wii A small, yet amazing library of games