The Verge: Microsoft Teasing New Xbox Technology at CES?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 0

#1 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts

The Verge has an article up with a promotional video of a new technology that could possibly be included in the new Xbox, called IlumiRoom. It's a combination of virtual and physical worlds of a tv and living room for an augmented reality experience.

The demonstration starts with an actor commanding the Xbox to "go big," with a projection showing an Xbox console scanning the room before images are projected onto nearby walls. Microsoft didn't explain why it chose to demo IllumiRoom with Samsung, but the companies have previously worked together on PixelSense tables and the components for Microsoft's Surface tablet. Samsung manufactures a number of Pico projectors and has recently added the technology to its Galaxy Beam smartphone suggesting it's in a position to offer the tech at a low-cost for the consumer market.

[...]

A new Xbox has long been rumored for 2013, but sources familiar with Microsoft's Xbox plans have suggested toThe Vergethat the company may be preparing an early unveil of some future Xbox plans ahead of a main event at E3.The timing of IllumiRoom would suggest this is part of a larger plan for the future of Xbox.Previously leakeddetails onKinect 2have suggested it will introduce a "LiveWall" that uses a projection unit to "allow game environments to be projected nearly 360 degrees around the user." This information lines up with the IllumiRoom project.The Verge

--

My take? I'm not really impressed by the idea. You already need a large amount of space to get Kinect functioning properly and this seems like the same kind of idea. Also, you must need a projector or some device to relay that display into your living room.

If this is part of Microsoft's competitive differentiator for the next cycle of consoles, it's not very interesting.

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2 rragnaar
Member since 2005 • 27023 Posts
If this is part of Microsoft's competitive differentiator for the next cycle of consoles, it's not very interesting.Haziqonfire
I think they need to realize that exclusives are the most important way to differentiate themselves. Something like this seems pretty gimmicky. I'd rather know that they were expanding their development efforts. Halo, Gears, Forza and Fable aren't enough if you can get every other game on a PS3 or PC.
GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#3 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts
This is the second or third time I am hearing of this wall projection thing...... eeeeeeeeehhh..... I mean maybe it turns out ok? It certainly seems risky.
haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#4 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts

I think they need to realize that exclusives are the most important way to differentiate themselves. Something like this seems pretty gimmicky. I'd rather know that they were expanding their development efforts. Halo, Gears, Forza and Fable aren't enough if you can get every other game on a PS3 or PC.rragnaar

I'm not sure if getting exclusive content is going to be the method of ensuring success for Microsoft in all honesty. During the PS2/GC/Xbox era Nintendo struggled in last place despite having some stellar first party offerings exclusive to their console and now the PS3/Wii/Xbox360 era made it obvious that multiplatform games from third parties is the norm as going exclusive is almost not enough for most devs. Though, I do agree that Microsoft needs to build up their first party line up (save Gears), because I feel like out of the three manufacturer's, they have the weakest because of the quantity.

This E3 will be interesting. For me, both Microsoft and Sony have to do something to differentiate themselves from the rest a la Nintendo, though not limited to changing the input method of playing games. Though, for me personally it should be related to the gaming experience in some form. However, I'm fairly confident that Microsoft will push out their Windows ecosystem with the new Xbox. Getting it compatible with Windows 8 Phone, Microsoft Surface, Windows 8 PCs, SmartGlass and eventually Windows Blue. Furthermore, coupling that Windows ecosystem with Kinect 2.0.

Sony, I'm really not quite sure. I feel like Sony as of late has been an overachiever. They try to do a lot of things at once instead of focusing on something to be really good at. It's great to do everything, but if they have a strong focus on one aspect of their new console, it'll really help them stand out.

That's why I'm so interested at this years E3, assuming both companies will have something to show. I'm really hoping for some competitive differentiatorbeyond content. There needs to be something that'll progress the industry forward in a meaningful way, at least for me. Otherwise, I fail to see what will be so different between Microsoft's new Xbox and Sony's new PlayStation, and furthrmore, a Gaming PC.

lloveLamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 lloveLamp
Member since 2009 • 2891 Posts
Give me VR goggles plz. this is just stupid as all hell
Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44093 Posts
I thought it looked pretty cool and I'm definitely intrigued by it. Would like to see it explored further.
CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts
I could see this earning the complete disdain of the core and being completely useless for core games, but I can also see this capturing the imagination of casuals and having popular Disney and and Sesame Street themed mini games built around it. If this is X720 tech I'm willing to bet it won't be a pack-in, just an expensive (possibly equalling the price of the system) add on,
shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6846 Posts

Sounds cool, but I imagine this being very tedious and actually taking away from the experience. Maybe good for social gaming.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#9 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts
You know it's going to be Kinect 2, why even bother getting excited?
GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#10 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts
You know it's going to be Kinect 2, why even bother getting excited?Black_Knight_00
Cuz teh pronz on this thing ...... ..?
Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#11 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts
[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"]You know it's going to be Kinect 2, why even bother getting excited?GodModeEnabled
Cuz teh pronz on this thing ...... ..?

For f*ck's sake. Send me your paypal email, I'll send you money to get laid :lol: