The Official TitanFall Review Thread

• 76 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Areez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Areez
Member since 2002 • 6278 Posts

The review embargo for TitanFall ends today. That being said we should start seeing some reviews trickling in. If you come across a review, post it here.

*Update* Looks like the Xbox One has the first must have app for this console generation. Here are some of the reviews so far.....

*Credit to Mjorh for posting these scores below*

• Eurogamer – Review in progress
  • Polygon – 9/10
  • Videogamer – 8/10
  • Xbox Achievements – 90/100
  • NowGamer – 9/10
  • CVG – 9/10
  • Gamespot – 9/10
  • Joystiq – 4.5/5
  • GameReactor - 9/10
  • PC Gamer – Review in progress
  • GamesRadar - 4/5
  • AusGamers – 8.7/10
  • GT 9.3

Areez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Areez

TitanFall launch update: Respawn has confirmed that the game will run at 792p, which is exactly the same resolution as the beta. However, it sounds like we could see a resolution improvement post launch, as Respawn is still tinkering around with the resolution.

"We've been experimenting with making it higher and lower. One of the big tricks is how much ESRAM we're going to use, so we're thinking of not using hardware MSAA and instead using FXAA to make it so we don't have to have this larger render target,"

"We're going to experiment. The target is either 1080p non-anti-aliased or 900p with FXAA. We're trying to optimise... we don't want to give up anything for higher res. So far we're not 100 per cent happy with any of the options, we're still working on it. For day one it's not going to change. We're still looking at it for post-day one. We're likely to increase resolution after we ship."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/di...-ships-at-792p

barrybarryk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 barrybarryk
Member since 2012 • 488 Posts

Yeah they said you might see a graphical jump after the beta too.

After they have your money they wont be increasing jack.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 45993 Posts
@barrybarryk said:

Yeah they said you might see a graphical jump after the beta too.

After they have your money they wont be increasing jack.

That's awfully pessimistic. Though I do understand this kind of reaction in the current state of the industry, there used to be a time when developers improved their games a lot post launch.

barrybarryk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 barrybarryk

@R4gn4r0k: Very few ever changed graphically apart from bug fixes and wider hardware support. Free content was pretty common though.

The only reason he said that was because when people moaned about the beta's graphics he said they might change for the retail release. In a couple of hours we're going to be inundated with reviews saying that hasn't happened and probably a few pointing out the frame rate nosedives as soon as you enter a titan. Given how much of Titanfall is apparently "post-day one", silly things like optimisation and private matches, it's pretty clear it should have been delayed for a while until they actually finished the game, but that would mess with their DLC roadmap so it isn't an option and we get one more unfinished game dumped on the market relying on patches.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 45993 Posts

@barrybarryk said:

@R4gn4r0k: Very few ever changed graphically apart from bug fixes and wider hardware support. Free content was pretty common though.

The only reason he said that was because when people moaned about the beta's graphics he said they might change for the retail release. In a couple of hours we're going to be inundated with reviews saying that hasn't happened and probably a few pointing out the frame rate nosedives as soon as you enter a titan. Given how much of Titanfall is apparently "post-day one", silly things like optimisation and private matches, it's pretty clear it should have been delayed for a while until they actually finished the game, but that would mess with their DLC roadmap so it isn't an option and we get one more unfinished game dumped on the market relying on patches.

Yes, I totally agree that optimization should not happen post launch (except for like with some PC games where there are problems). But we don't know if the game will look bad or not, until we see some reviews or even better see it for ourselves.

I never thought the game looked bad in the beta anyway, it wasn't next gen or anything. But it looked clean and played smooth (played the beta on PC)

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58643 Posts

This will be an excellent opportunity to filter out the corrupt sites from the genuine ones.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#8 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts
@uninspiredcup said:

This will be an excellent opportunity to filter out the corrupt sites from the genuine ones.

Yeah, because bribes are totally a thing that happens in game reviews.

IndianaPwns39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#9 IndianaPwns39
Member since 2008 • 5037 Posts

I expect the game to land excellent marks pretty much everywhere.

I'll be genuinely surprised if it doesn't. The media coverage and hype for this game has been insane.

Areez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Areez

@IndianaPwns39: I would be surprised too, if TF does not garner good to very good reviews, considering the many awards it received at E3. I am going to guess that GS gives the game an 8.0.

IndianaPwns39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 IndianaPwns39

Gamespot review is up, landed a 9.

Personally, I can't watch the video. Gamespot's comment feed runs while the video is playing and it has an insane amount of activity so the video slows down. Chris' review seems well written and great though.

IGN went ahead and did a "review in progress" and decided not to hand out a score. I hate Ryan McCaffrey with a burning passion though so I'm not going to bother to read his review.

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Randolph
Member since 2002 • 10542 Posts

@IndianaPwns39: The video does't slow down for me, it completely stops. Very annoying. They really need an option to disable comments from your view, I would use it forever. Nothing remotely worthwhile ever goes on in there anyway.

barrybarryk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By barrybarryk

A post limit/cool down to stop people spamming the comments would do the job just fine, a minute or two would be all it would take, but for some reason they're more interested in encouraging the numpties

Kuromino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

User Lists: 9

#14 Kuromino  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 1602 Posts

They're uploaded the video review to their YouTube channel if that helps.

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Randolph

@Kuromino said:

They're uploaded the video review to their YouTube channel if that helps.

That was helpful, thanks. Ugh, the review page here on GS is a disaster.

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#16 mjorh
Member since 2011 • 6749 Posts

Seems that i've gotta get this game ....

• Eurogamer – Review in progress
  • Polygon – 9/10
  • Videogamer – 8/10
  • Xbox Achievements – 90/100
  • NowGamer – 9/10
  • CVG – 9/10
  • Gamespot – 9/10
  • Joystiq – 4.5/5
  • GameReactor - 9/10
  • PC Gamer – Review in progress
  • GamesRadar - 4/5
  • AusGamers – 8.7/10
  • GT 9.3
Areez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Areez

@IndianaPwns39: Joystiq has its review up to. I will be linking reviews at the top of this thread. Looking good so far for TF.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#18 S0lidSnake
Member since 2002 • 29001 Posts

So the game is the real deal. I was right once again. ;p

I gotta say I am pleasently surprised to see Respawn be that upfront about the dev process. Especially admitting that 1080p simply isnt possible with a good quality AA. Regardless, the fact that they feel so strongly about increasing resolution means resolution means something after all. shocking.

Areez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Areez

@S0lidSnake said:

So the game is the real deal. I was right once again. ;p

I gotta say I am pleasently surprised to see Respawn be that upfront about the dev process. Especially admitting that 1080p simply isnt possible with a good quality AA. Regardless, the fact that they feel so strongly about increasing resolution means resolution means something after all. shocking.il

You have to love the honesty here...I also like the fact that they are still tinkering around with the resolution. You did say the game was the real deal during your beta impressions, so yes you were right. Damn March is going to be an awesome month for gamers! TitanFall and Infamous!!

Speaking of the development process...GDC should be interesting with MS foucsing on Direct X 12. It is said that the Xbox One was designed with Direct X12 in mind. We shall see.

marcheegsr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 marcheegsr
Member since 2004 • 3115 Posts

Nice to see a game living up to the hype.

kingcrimson24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#21 kingcrimson24
Member since 2012 • 824 Posts

I was never much of a MP guy . but looks like this game has something special that makes it different from other shooters .

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Good Rececption.

Now we gotta give it a few years to see its sales, and then after that we gotta check its activity

stizzal13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 stizzal13
Member since 2013 • 609 Posts

@kingcrimson24 said:

I was never much of a MP guy . but looks like this game has something special that makes it different from other shooters .

I agree with you. I haven't played Titanfall, but I have watched a fair amount of gameplay. And, Titanfall seems like a breath of fresh air compared to the recent COD/BF installments. I am not sure I will be picking it up, though.

GiantAssPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By GiantAssPanda
Member since 2011 • 1885 Posts

@c_rakestraw said:
@uninspiredcup said:

Actually I watched some of the Address the Sess episodes where Sessler, TotalBiscuit and some other dudes discussed this and apparently it's quite common in the industry for publishers to bribe sites/individual reviewers for favorable reviews. Or at least try to.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 S0lidSnake

BTW, Bestbuy is offering $45 trade in credit for almost all Xbox 1 games if you trade it in towards TitanFall. Do it today before the game comes out and you will a $10 reward certificate for preordering the game.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 43988 Posts

Wooooooooooooooo!!! Awesome reviews. Great to see although I'm not surprised, the beta was excellent. I so can't wait to pick this up tomorrow.

IndianaPwns39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 IndianaPwns39

@Randolph: Yeah, the reviews will likely be people arguing over the results of the game. Likely a bunch of people in from System Wars.

Honestly, the game looks great. Anyone that didn't think it was going to take a lot of praise is crazy. What point is there in bickering? And really, that's all Gamespot's comment section is.

Personally, I have no interest in the game right now. I think it looks phenomenal and fun, but I'm just done with first person shooters right now. It looks to add enough to the genre where it'd feel fresh, but holy hell I just don't care at the moment.

Guys that were looking forward to it: congrats on the upcoming awesomeness! Wish me luck that Dark Souls II will score the same tomorrow :P

HipHopBeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#28 HipHopBeats
Member since 2011 • 2850 Posts

I have no interest in Titanfall but it's great to see Microsoft finally have a well received exclusive on their hands. That being said, why can't people have justified negative critiques opposing a popular opinion without being labeled a troll or a hater? You should only have a voice when you share the views of the majority?

marcheegsr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 marcheegsr

Could this boost x1 sales?

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6844 Posts

I don't think it will boost sales very much. They'll get a nice surge, sure. But the excitement for the One isn't at the same level as the 360 or PS4.

D3s7rUc71oN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 D3s7rUc71oN
Member since 2004 • 5180 Posts

Whats the point of even posting comments in the review section of this game? Can't even read the f*cking review. Lol @ those wasting their time posting given how there's 5 new comments every second.

Thinking of picking up an Xone but I may have to wait a few weeks first.

Areez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Areez

@Kuromino: Thank you. Much better.

marcheegsr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 marcheegsr

@D3s7rUc71oN said:

Whats the point of even posting comments in the review section of this game? Can't even read the f*cking review. Lol @ those wasting their time posting given how there's 5 new comments every second.

Thats why I checked out the review on youtube. I knew it was probably going to be a bunch of x1 and ps4 fan boys battling eachother on the gs review page.

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Randolph

Yep, I want to play this game.

ZZoMBiE13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#35  Edited By ZZoMBiE13
Member since 2002 • 22934 Posts
@D3s7rUc71oN said:

If you do end up getting one, pick up Dead Rising 3 as well. It's good old zombie killing fun.

@Randolph said:

Are you getting it? Or just interested?

A few of the guys from the off-site VU are picking it up too. Maybe we can all team up some evening. :)

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#36 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

I'll get the 360 version like most people.

cyborg100000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 cyborg100000
Member since 2005 • 2905 Posts

It's good to see a slightly more refreshing online-FPS outside of CoD and BF. I might give the game a go, haven't really got into an online-fps since UT04 and CoD.

Areez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Areez

@Randolph said:

Randolph are you picking up TitanFall tomorrow? And if you are, whats your gamertag? Be cool to get a few of the guys from the boards to run a few matches on TF.

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Randolph

@Areez said:

@Randolph said:

Randolph are you picking up TitanFall tomorrow? And if you are, whats your gamertag? Be cool to get a few of the guys from the boards to run a few matches on TF.

I am. I'm already on your friend list, it was my forum name, Randolph. I changed it to my older longer running tag from way back, PopeAnonymous. So if you see that name on there, we're good to go.

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Randolph

@ZZoMBiE13: That'd be fun. Hard to do since we all work full time, but I'd be up for it. Suppose I better dust off my old account there one of these days. They still have a blaring white forum skin, it hurts my eyes, so I don't post there much.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 S0lidSnake

Anyone picking this up at midnight? I might go and get it.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 c_rakestraw  Moderator
@S0lidSnake said:

I'm gonna try. Will probably end up playing Dark Souls 2 a bunch first if I do, though.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By S0lidSnake

@c_rakestraw: WTH? When did you get an X1? Or even a PS4? I saw you playing KZ on my newsfeed.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 c_rakestraw  Moderator
@S0lidSnake said:

@c_rakestraw: WTH? When did you get an X1? Or even a PS4? I saw you playing KZ on my newsfeed.

Last month. Pretty sure I mentioned it before.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 S0lidSnake

These updates, installs and day 1 patches are doing. a great job of taking the fun out of midnight launches.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 S0lidSnake

Played for about an hour. Completed four campaign missions. I can tell there is something going on in the story, but a lot of it is told via ingame chatter and i highly doubt there is a single human player who is actually listening to that in the middle of all this carnage. lol

The game is still as fun as the beta, and taking out noobs is always fun. I came first in my first game, and last in my last. :P I just love how responsive the controls are, and that you still have a chance after someone's spotted you.

The biggest thing to me was the performance. the beta did not have this much screen tearing and slow downs. At first I thought it was the new maps which are a bit more detailed, but the beta maps also have more screen tearing and framerate issues than they did back in the beta. It looks like they upped the effects, noticed more haze and fog in the streets. Looks good but not worth the performance trade-off.

They need to stop worrying about increasing the resolution and lock that framerate down first. Then completely eliminate the screen tearing. This is Heavenly Sword level screen tearing which is simply unacceptable in a next gen console game. hell, it was unacceptable back in 2007. I get that they had to start from scratch, but there is no excuse of having your game sit at an odd resolution like 792p when you can simply drop it down and use that spare horsepower to make your game more stable.

It's almost as if they chose not to go 720p just to prove CBOAT wrong.

ZZoMBiE13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#47 ZZoMBiE13
Member since 2002 • 22934 Posts

@S0lidSnake said:

I was going to, but my store didn't have a midnight launch for the game.

Add me on LIVE if you like. I'll be playing most of tomorrow. :)

1PMrFister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#48 1PMrFister
Member since 2010 • 3134 Posts

@c_rakestraw said:
@uninspiredcup said:

Totally, I mean what else could it be? The reviewers genuinely enjoyed the game? That's just what they want you to think.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#49 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58643 Posts

Aside from the bribes (be it more website traffic via ad's, exclusive content or money) many of these reviewers are barely 20 somethings who started gaming on the xbox, not the pc. They are not educated enough to form a valid opinion.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

@1PMrFister said:

@c_rakestraw said:
@uninspiredcup said:

Totally, I mean what else could it be? The reviewers genuinely enjoyed the game? That's just what they want you to think.

Pre-launch reviews of online portions of games tend to be worthless.

Reviewers play an online game against other reviewers and the development team for a several hours in ideal conditions and then write their review (Battlefield 4 is awesomesauce!), but it takes a lot more time than that to find an online game's strengths and weaknesses (including but not limited to bugs).

Of course, once a game ships interests in reviews probably drops quite a bit (since there is word of mouth), so reviewers who want to matter most/get the most clicks have to review early, even if they aren't reviewing the game the world will experience.