The Most EVIL Video Game Villain Ever?

#1 Posted by Starshine_M2A2 (5121 posts) -

So I just finished watching The Devil's Backbone which contains, for me anyway, one of the most horribly evil villains in film history. As an avid gamer, this made me think about any villains that have come close to matching the kind of contempt that movie villains can invoke in the viewer - particularly these days as games become more scripted and SP titles create more and more imaginative big bads.

I actually had a lot of trouble thinking of one that I truly hated. The vast majority of villains in games that I've played either don't measure up in their nastiness because they're either too complex, like the monstrous yet sympathetic Glados - or they're completely one dimensional and are simply there to be beaten. Like very Mario villain ever made.

I think the most disturbing kind of villain in both games and movies is actually the one that you end up identifying with. Someone who has such a twisted sense of logic and idealism that you start to find yourself agreeing with them because they're not ideas you would normally confront or consider. So they end up having a revelatory power which, if handled well, can be downright chilling.

So on that basis I have to cite BioShock's Andrew Ryan and Alma herself as my own choices because they both represent a sort of mirror for my own view of life and the world in general. As someone who often finds it difficult to embrace certain aspects of culture which often leads to conflict with those around me, Andrew Ryan's desire to retreat from society entirely and Alma bringing ruin to the world she perceives as having wronged her, both represent supressed aspects of my own psyche - aspects that can never be awoken or acted upon because they're unacceptable in the real world. Thus making them truly disturbing characters representative of my worst flaws.

#2 Posted by BobTheHollow (53 posts) -

@Starshine_M2A2 said:

So on that basis I have to cite BioShock's Andrew Ryan and Alma herself as my own choices because they both represent a sort of mirror for my own view of life and the world in general. As someone who often finds it difficult to embrace certain aspects of culture which often leads to conflict with those around me, Andrew Ryan's desire to retreat from society entirely and Alma bringing ruin to the world she perceives as having wronged her, both represent supressed aspects of my own psyche - aspects that can never be awoken or acted upon because they're unacceptable in the real world. Thus making them truly disturbing characters representative of my worst flaws.

My problem is with the term "evil." How does one determine what "evil" really is? Is it the destructive consequences of one's actions? Or is it the motivation behind them? I do love me some Bioshock, but I've never seen Andrew Ryan as a villain. He did what he thought was right, believing it to be the only path to improve society. Also, he's not to blame for the behavior of others. Society has, of course, the right to defend itself from ideological types, but that same ideology removes the "evilness" out of the equation. Just like in real life, I tend to think of the corrupt politician/greedy executive as the most villainous types, seeing that personal gain is their only motivation and the consequences of their shenanigans are both dreadful and far-reaching.

So on that basis, I'd go with the board executives of any Umbrella type evil organization. Not the boss, mind you, the boss usually has a twisted ideology he seeks to see through. No, I mean the white collar type that works in the office and attends to meetings and casts a vote to approve of the evil/stupid/non-sensical plans being presented because they might turn a profit and daddy needs the brand new model sports car!!! Those are the evilest evil-doers in my opinion. ^^

#3 Posted by RSM-HQ (6365 posts) -

I'm trying to think of villains that have no other motive other than destruction, love for torture, and chaos. And in the end many villains in gaming tend to have that 'two sides of the coin' mentality.

So unless it's going to come down to a debate of cruel feats. I'm just going to add two names that 'to me' stand out as characters that just see everyone as somekind of plaything; and has a general incentive for being the term 'evil'. Now I'm not stating these are the most evil of any game, ever. But considering I play many games in this genre I'd like to note them as a personal standout.

Brian Irons (Resident Evil/ Biohazard 2)

Ruvik (The Evil Within/ Psycho Break)

*I'll save the explanation for why they're so messed up and cruel, just check a wiki or something. Usually when I type too much my general message is lost in translation.

#4 Posted by sayyy-gaa (5838 posts) -

Cuphead final boss is pretty evil.

#5 Edited by foxhound_fox (96996 posts) -

Andrew Ryan isn't even the main antagonist of BioShock. :/

#6 Posted by Bush_Dog (274 posts) -

Giygas the Earthbounds' final boss. He was already the embodiment of Evil so I think nothing can beat that.

#7 Posted by HardMode88 (96 posts) -

For me, I think Luca Blight is one of the notorious villains for the last 19 years I've ever encountered in my life. He's from Suikoden 2. The reason I think he's one heck of an uber-uber sinister villain is that he does not show any single pity emotions towards the hero and his comrades and even killed and betrayed his own father just to succeed as new King of Highland. He is truly a merciless evil prince that is really a blight in the Suikoden world. Even when he was dying, he left a bunch of cursing to the hero until his last breath.

#8 Posted by Clefdefa (541 posts) -

Kefka from Final Fantasy VI. Probably the most evil of all evil.

He poisonned a whole castle in order to win, killed his emperor to get the ultimate magik and reshape the world throwing into despair but also hope, killed all the creature with magik power, enslaved the only creature born from the love of a humain and a magik creature... and his fucking evil 16bit laugh !!!

#9 Posted by warmblur (242 posts) -

Lionel Starkweather Manhunt.

#10 Posted by BobTheHollow (53 posts) -

@clefdefa said:

Kefka from Final Fantasy VI. Probably the most evil of all evil.

He poisonned a whole castle in order to win, killed his emperor to get the ultimate magik and reshape the world throwing into despair but also hope, killed all the creature with magik power, enslaved the only creature born from the love of a humain and a magik creature... and his fucking evil 16bit laugh !!!

He's my favorite villain of all time (probably), my problem still lies with the definition of "evil." I don't think that's something so easily quantified. I don't even think there can be an objective definition of what the concept actually entails. But if we're going by the usual cookie cutter definition then yes, he's probably the evilest muthafocker in town.

PS: That game was the first to blow my mind away. I had been playing video games for many years up to that point already, but nothing had ever gotten to me like that one did...

#11 Edited by torenojohn7 (546 posts) -

Video games are probably not the best place for you to look for well written villains but for the most evil i'd have to go with Saddler from RE4, purely for what he did to those innocent villagers.