The media analyzes adam lanza's gaming preferences...

• 61 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

HipHopBeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#1 HipHopBeats
Member since 2011 • 2850 Posts

like World Of Warcraft, Mario Party and Starcraft as if they were key in his motovation to do what he did. A pyschiatrist on CNN was stating how video games may not have necessarily inspired his actions but rather filled a masculine void that may have been missing in his life such as being the 'cool hero' or socially acceptable.

Even if that was the case, I don't see what games he played has to do with what he did. How are people supposed to process that information? Cancel their kids online gaming privleges? Do you feel a person's gaming habits reflects or shapes their personality and what their capable of?

Avatar image for almasdeathchild
almasdeathchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2 almasdeathchild
Member since 2011 • 8922 Posts

no,when tragedy strikes games music and movies are the only things to blame.

but no video games don't cause people to have violent behavior. though the way people act online youd think it was the cause.....im srs brah

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

Mario Party? Let's see the media try to pin his violence on this...

The whole "videogames cause violence" argument is so f*cking stupid. Millions of people play many of these games, yet when one person commits a violent crime who also happens to play one of these games, the media goes berzerk and uneducated fools claim that videogames are turning people into mindless killing machines. Thankfully the Supreme Court saw it our way.

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#4 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts

mario party? man, why didn't anybody see this coming?

no, i don't think video game choices predict atrocious behavior. lots of people play starcraft and WoW and it's hard to make any observations of them besides that they are blizzard fans. although no link was provided, based on the OP it doesn't seem that any pundits are making the jump from video games to murder. they are going from lanza to video games, making speculations on an individual rather than implying causation.

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

maybe they can analyze the clothes he wears to determine if that causes violence as well. society always trying to find a reason to not give a person full responsibility for their actions....looking at cause and effect.....

Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts
People want easy answers, especially when something so unbelievable happens. So they are willing to listen to talking heads who get paid to make stuff up.
SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

We should assign more blame than just his gaming preferences. The Mario Party game is just one clue, we need more.

1. What kinds of books did he read?
  2. What kind of food did he eat?
  3. What kind of music did he listen to?
  4. What kind of stars did he gaze at?
  5. What kind of TV shows did he watch?
  6. What kind of rubber ducky did he use for Bath time?! (I'm betting a yellow one)
  7. What kind of Movies did he watch?
  8. Who did he like better Superman or Batman or Spiderman?
  9. What kind of news channels did he watch?
  10. What kind of sports did he follow/play?
  11. What kind of girls/boys did he like?
  12. What were his favorite animals?! I think a 'missing link' could be found here.
  13. What was his favorite Disney film? Dead give away, c'mon media, here's your scape goat!

...Honestly, the media analylists need to assign the blame with a more even handed approach. Let's look at everything Media.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

They should study his brain for science, but other than that I feel like that peice of sh*t doesn't deserve to have anyone talk about him for any reason whatsoever.

Lethargika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Lethargika
Member since 2009 • 1666 Posts
Are psychologists still throwing around the video game card? Good god, woulda thought they would have advanced beyond that by now.
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

Are psychologists still throwing around the video game card? Good god, woulda thought they would have advanced beyond that by now. Lethargika

They actually aren't, but the media will put anyone on their show that supports their agenda, i.e. the micrscopic few who think GTA creates murderers

Avatar image for Shame-usBlackley
Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12 Shame-usBlackley
Member since 2002 • 18266 Posts

It isn't a gun's or a video game's fault. The truth that no one wants to hear is this: if someone is going to do something horrible, there are many ways to do it that can't be foreseen. Just last week, a man killed a bunch of kids with a sword over in Asia. Is a sword an assault weapon as well? We gonna ban swords now? Implement sword control? Everyone wants to find the root cause and ban it, but you can't ban crazy. The truth is that he could have done just as much damage wih a rifle and high powered scope and twenty-two rounds of ammo and picked people off from seven or eight football fields away as they walked home. It's not the "assault weapon" that allowed this to happen -- he could have done it with a deer rifle or even a .22 -- he just would have had to alter his evil plot.

Games, like film, are works of fiction, and when disturbed minds ingest fiction, they digest it improperly. For healthy people, they can take it all as entertainment and digest it properly. Sick people cannot in many cases. I am not ready to condemn the entertainment he consumed when I have just finished reading that his mother was an end of the world wackjob who poisoned his mind about there being no future. That, to me, is not only child abuse, but also a far more likely culprit as to why this kid committed such an unspeakable act.

That doesn't matter now, though. What matters is that the public needs to realize that there are evil people in the world. And in a free society, it is difficult, if not impossible to stop them. I think there are reactive measures that can be taken to protect children. Take metal detectors, for example. We put them in our courthouses to protect our judges, why not our children? I haven't seen very many courthouse massacres in recent years...

Also, people need to remind themselves that this is nothing new. The media tries to portray this type of thing as some kind of barometer indicating a crumbling society in recent years, but that is not the case. Remember that song 'I Don't Like Mondays' by the Boomtown Rats? It was written in 1979 after this incident happened:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Don't_Like_Mondays

The shooter, a female, said "I don't like Mondays" when asked why she did it. You can't ban crazy and evil, you can only slow it down and stifle it to varying degrees.

Borrizee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Borrizee
Member since 2012 • 428 Posts
Oh now...we are doomed. Gaming is illegal in a bit.
Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Shame-usBlackley

Oh now...we are doomed. Gaming is illegal in a bit. Borrizee

Not gonna happen.

Borrizee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Borrizee

[QUOTE="Borrizee"]Oh now...we are doomed. Gaming is illegal in a bit. Shame-usBlackley

Not gonna happen.

No I know,it's like banning all movies or books. But it's always sad to hear.
Justinps2hero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#16 Justinps2hero
Member since 2007 • 2317 Posts
Mario party? Well, if it was number eight maybe.......damn AI always cheats on that one.
MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17637 Posts

It isn't a gun's or a video game's fault. The truth that no one wants to hear is this: if someone is going to do something horrible, there are many ways to do it that can't be foreseen. Just last week, a man killed a bunch of kids with a sword over in Asia. Is a sword an assault weapon as well? We gonna ban swords now? Implement sword control? Everyone wants to find the root cause and ban it, but you can't ban crazy. The truth is that he could have done just as much damage wih a rifle and high powered scope and twenty-two rounds of ammo and picked people off from seven or eight football fields away as they walked home. It's not the "assault weapon" that allowed this to happen -- he could have done it with a deer rifle or even a .22 -- he just would have had to alter his evil plot.

Games, like film, are works of fiction, and when disturbed minds ingest fiction, they digest it improperly. For healthy people, they can take it all as entertainment and digest it properly. Sick people cannot in many cases. I am not ready to condemn the entertainment he consumed when I have just finished reading that his mother was an end of the world wackjob who poisoned his mind about there being no future. That, to me, is not only child abuse, but also a far more likely culprit as to why this kid committed such an unspeakable act.

That doesn't matter now, though. What matters is that the public needs to realize that there are evil people in the world. And in a free society, it is difficult, if not impossible to stop them. I think there are reactive measures that can be taken to protect children. Take metal detectors, for example. We put them in our courthouses to protect our judges, why not our children? I haven't seen very many courthouse massacres in recent years...

Also, people need to remind themselves that this is nothing new. The media tries to portray this type of thing as some kind of barometer indicating a crumbling society in recent years, but that is not the case. Remember that song 'I Don't Like Mondays' by the Boomtown Rats? It was written in 1979 after this incident happened:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Don't_Like_Mondays

The shooter, a female, said "I don't like Mondays" when asked why she did it. You can't ban crazy and evil, you can only slow it down and stifle it to varying degrees.

Shame-usBlackley

Metal Detectors? The door to the school was locked and he shot his way through glass to gain entry. These people do not play by the rules, they will simply shoot their way through anything, unless we wish to make all schools bunkers. No, there is only one viable solution that will give our kids a chance to survive against crazy: have armed security guards at every school in the nation.

Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Shame-usBlackley

Metal Detectors? The door to the school was locked and he shot his way through glass to gain entry. These people do not play by the rules, they will simply shoot their way through anything, unless we wish to make all schools bunkers. No, there is only one viable solution that will give our kids a chance to survive against crazy: have armed security guards at every school in the nation.

MirkoS77

Uh, well yeah... most metal detectors in courthouses have armed guards observing them. No sense in having a metal detector if there isn't someone there to defend against whatever sets it off.

Again, though, if we make the schools safe someone will just wait outside the school. Or they'll do like they do in the middle-east and start setting off bombs in crowded places. I really think that, more than anything, is what people need to come to grips with -- if someone decides they are going to do something, they're going to do it. The implement may change and the location may be altered, but... yeah.

In a free society, evil and crazy are hard to stop.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#19 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts
All the coverage from the media only increases the risk of emulation.
Borrizee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Borrizee

[QUOTE="Shame-usBlackley"]

MirkoS77

If that is our reaction to all evil it's no good. Arm this,secure that,throw more weapons and we solved it? No I say,you make it worse than ever my opinion.
Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Bigboi500

Shame-usBlackley

There's no way that anyone could have done the same level of destruction with a simple deer rifle, that's ridiculous. The only way it was able to cause so much death and destruction so quickly was because it had an assault rifle with extended magazines. Think about that... an assault rifle. Just as the name implies, that kind of gun serves no purpose other than to be a fast way to kill the most people. What purpose does that kind of gun have for people who aren't in the military or police? None.

There's no need for a all-around ban on guns, just ones that serve no purpose for civilians.

Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#22 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

I really don't care if they make a big stink about video games. All they make these days is sequels and shooters and sequels of shooters. It's not like the government or whatever could ruin it any more than gamers already have with their purchasing decisions. I'm currently playing Kingdoms of Amalur: nice RPG. Developer's bankrupt and their assets sold off because their game wasn't a shooter or a sequel. :roll:

If there's some backlash against violence in games and it causes 10 shooters to get scrapped while one new racing sim gets made instead, that would actually be fine with me.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 MirkoS77
[QUOTE="Borrizee"] If that is our reaction to all evil it's no good. Arm this,secure that,throw more weapons and we solved it? No I say,you make it worse than ever my opinion.

Worse than ever? You mean like 20 six year olds and 6 adults massacred worse? How can it be worse? Guns are already on school grounds shooting the defenseless. What have we to lose? Do you advocate the police and SWAT getting to the scene with assault rifles to kill the gunman? If yes, than what is the difference with having an armed security guard except response time, the one element that is crucial to saving these people? You can't "add" more guns to something that's already swimming in them. It's about being able to respond as soon as the first shots are fired. I cannot understand how people are against this, especially as the bodies (now of children) continue to pile up.
Borrizee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Borrizee
[QUOTE="MirkoS77"][QUOTE="Borrizee"] If that is our reaction to all evil it's no good. Arm this,secure that,throw more weapons and we solved it? No I say,you make it worse than ever my opinion.

Worse than ever? You mean like 20 six year olds and 6 adults massacred worse? How can it be worse? Guns are already on school grounds shooting the defenseless. What have we to lose? Do you advocate the police and SWAT getting to the scene with assault rifles to kill the gunman? If yes, than what is the difference with having an armed security guard except response time, the one element that is crucial to saving these people? You can't "add" more guns to something that's already swimming in them. It's about being able to respond as soon as the first shots are fired. I cannot understand how people are against this, especially as the bodies (now of children) continue to pile up.

you make very good points and specially on the respond time. What I mean is,do you want to see our children grow older in that world? We need to find what is really wrong at the root of things. Why,who,what,where?...In my opinion you can't rule these cases out. There are always lunatics,nutcases,people who just pop. But in a world of securing everything there comes a point you can't secure anymore.
Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Bigboi500

[QUOTE="Borrizee"] If that is our reaction to all evil it's no good. Arm this,secure that,throw more weapons and we solved it? No I say,you make it worse than ever my opinion.MirkoS77

I understand what you're saying, but only the priveledged few like private schools for the upper class could afford such elaborate private security. There is no fast fix for issues like this.

Borrizee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Borrizee

[QUOTE="MirkoS77"][QUOTE="Borrizee"] If that is our reaction to all evil it's no good. Arm this,secure that,throw more weapons and we solved it? No I say,you make it worse than ever my opinion.Bigboi500

I understand what you're saying, but only the priveledged few like private schools for the upper class could afford such elaborate private security. There is no fast fix for issues like this.

no real solution in the end I'm afraid.
Angie7F

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Angie7F
Member since 2011 • 1175 Posts

the media dont know s`@@t.

mario party? seriouslly?

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#28 Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

Much worse than Mario Party, I'm afraid...

Jack Thompson, the disbarred lawyer from Flordia, is quick to blame videogames for the tragedy

In this article, they are trying to say that Adam Lanza was a fan of Dance Dance Revolution. If that isn't as stupid or lame as it gets, then I don't know what is, because DDR is one of the least violent gaming franchises out there. So sad that media is quick to put the blame on anything related to media.

yellosnolvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 yellosnolvr
Member since 2005 • 19302 Posts
Oh now...we are doomed. Gaming is illegal in a bit. Borrizee
they'll never take vidya away from me!
Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Metamania

[QUOTE="Bigboi500"]

[QUOTE="MirkoS77"]Worse than ever? You mean like 20 six year olds and 6 adults massacred worse? How can it be worse? Guns are already on school grounds shooting the defenseless. What have we to lose? Do you advocate the police and SWAT getting to the scene with assault rifles to kill the gunman? If yes, than what is the difference with having an armed security guard except response time, the one element that is crucial to saving these people? You can't "add" more guns to something that's already swimming in them. It's about being able to respond as soon as the first shots are fired. I cannot understand how people are against this, especially as the bodies (now of children) continue to pile up. Borrizee

To me, it's like trying to fix the economy: no matter how good the solution is, it will always end up being opposed. Same thing here; people want to take away guns, but there are others who will bring out their Amendments and say "Hey, we have a right to protect ourselves with force if we have to." And even if President Obama says that meaningful action has to take place, in regards to gun control, I doubt he can do a damn thing about it either. No one can.

Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Shame-usBlackley

There's no way that anyone could have done the same level of destruction with a simple deer rifle, that's ridiculous. The only way it was able to cause so much death and destruction so quickly was because it had an assault rifle with extended magazines. Think about that... an assault rifle. Just as the name implies, that kind of gun serves no purpose other than to be a fast way to kill the most people. What purpose does that kind of gun have for people who aren't in the military or police? None.

There's no need for a all-around ban on guns, just ones that serve no purpose for civilians.

Bigboi500

The monicker 'assault rifle' is just a bogeyman that the media likes to bandy about. The AR15 IS an assault weapon, yes, however, the Mini 14 Ranch Rifle (a hunting rifle by designation) uses the EXACT same round (.223) and has 50 round magazines available. Both guns deliver the exact same round, at the exact same cycle rate and have similar storage capacity, yet one is labelled an assault weapon and the other is not.

And obviously, you've never had much experience with high power rifles (aka deer rifles). I have a REM700 in .308 that holds 7 rounds fitted with a Burris Eliminator scope that is both a rangefinder and optic that calculates for drop up to 1,000 yards. I can put a two inch grouping together with that rifle and empty it in less than 30 seconds. That means it would take less than 90 seconds to dispense twenty-one lethal shots (excluding reload time, of course) from 7 football fields away. You're deluding yourself if you don't think that gun could be devastating if used for evil means, yet it is not considered an assault rifle.

The truth is this: every gun can be an assault weapon. The flimsy and inaccurate measures they use to determine which is and which is not are laughable at times.

And, without making a federal case out of it, more Mexican children were killed by 'Assault Weapons' supplied by the Obama administration under Operation Fast and Furious than the kids killed in this incident with legally purchased firearms. Where is the outrage and shock over that? Where are all the media inquiries? Perhaps if the Obama administration wants to start initiating gun control, ceasing to supply the drug cartels with them would be a good start.

Borrizee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Borrizee

[QUOTE="Borrizee"][QUOTE="Bigboi500"]I understand what you're saying, but only the priveledged few like private schools for the upper class could afford such elaborate private security. There is no fast fix for issues like this.

Metamania

To me, it's like trying to fix the economy: no matter how good the solution is, it will always end up being opposed. Same thing here; people want to take away guns, but there are others who will bring out their Amendments and say "Hey, we have a right to protect ourselves with force if we have to." And even if President Obama says that meaningful action has to take place, in regards to gun control, I doubt he can do a damn thing about it either. No one can.

Sad but true
Avatar image for the_ChEeSe_mAn2
the_ChEeSe_mAn2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#33 the_ChEeSe_mAn2
Member since 2003 • 8463 Posts
I am seeing the "needing to fill a masculine void" in the first post and I am thinking..where is the father? What is his part in all of this (assuming there is one)???
Borrizee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Borrizee
I am seeing the "needing to fill a masculine void" in the first post and I am thinking..where is the father? What is his part in all of this (assuming there is one)???the_ChEeSe_mAn2
everybody plays a part I think. Good or bad makes no difference,...I think your world stops if your kid is doing such things.
MadVybz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 MadVybz
Member since 2009 • 2797 Posts

Mario Party? Let's see the media try to pin his violence on this...

The whole "videogames cause violence" argument is so f*cking stupid. Millions of people play many of these games, yet when one person commits a violent crime who also happens to play one of these games, the media goes berzerk and uneducated fools claim that videogames are turning people into mindless killing machines. Thankfully the Supreme Court saw it our way.

Vari3ty

Agreed with this post, 100%. Especially when it's put into perspective; as this previous poster said, millions of people play video games, yet violent crimes for the most part have been declining in recent years. If what the media claimed was true, we'd see millions of people trying to rip each other to shreds.

Another thing I don't get is the double standard set for video games as opposed to other mediums. You can have a violent movie, or a very grotesque book and they'll both be praised for their quality, yet a violent video game is condemned. It makes no damn sense.

Deadpool-n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Deadpool-n
Member since 2012 • 489 Posts

Video games are just common these days. A mentally ill person is born that way. The games don't make you mentally ill.

NicotineKid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 NicotineKid
Member since 2006 • 1475 Posts

Blaming an Italian plumber... cute.

HipHopBeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#38 HipHopBeats
Member since 2011 • 2850 Posts

Shame-usBlackley

I agree. No one can ban crazy. Society in general should focus on placing blame where it belongs period. Crazy or not, adam lanza was sane enough to plan that out. People want answers so the media gives them just that. Answers that explain nothing and promote fear and confusion to people who believe in statistics and studies.

Do you have a link for the story about the man in Asia? The news here in America seems to be covering this tragedy 24/7 and not much else.

I am seeing the "needing to fill a masculine void" in the first post and I am thinking..where is the father? What is his part in all of this (assuming there is one)???the_ChEeSe_mAn2

His parents divorced years earlier and the father moved out the house after he remarried. If the father was still there, he probably would have been dead too.

All the coverage from the media only increases the risk of emulation.Black_Knight_00

I can't help to think some other mentally ill kid is watching this media coverage, possibly getting inspired to do something even more demonic. Look at this newspaper cover from today's issue.

rvay2s.jpg

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#39 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69083 Posts

I heard he love Mc Donalds, so you know what that means... Mc Donalds was is motivation for killing.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 MirkoS77

[QUOTE="MirkoS77"][QUOTE="Borrizee"] If that is our reaction to all evil it's no good. Arm this,secure that,throw more weapons and we solved it? No I say,you make it worse than ever my opinion.Borrizee

you make very good points and specially on the respond time. What I mean is,do you want to see our children grow older in that world? We need to find what is really wrong at the root of things. Why,who,what,where?...In my opinion you can't rule these cases out. There are always lunatics,nutcases,people who just pop. But in a world of securing everything there comes a point you can't secure anymore.

Do I want to see our children grow older in that world? Of course not. But they already ARE living in that world, only difference being that they are on the wrong end of the barrel of that gun. I'm all for living in an idealistic world, who isn't, but we can't afford to be that naive anymore. We need to face reality. You can try gun control, you can try better mental programs, parental awareness, but the fact remains: there will always be those who fall through the cracks, and it's those cases that are the reason we need a last resort measure at the ground level ready to quickly respond just in case. This is the reason we have police. I am all for looking at the root of the problem and striving towards fixing the causes, don't get me wrong. But it will happen anyway no matter what we do or how successful we are.

We should take every measure at our disposal to protect our children and school grounds. EVERY ONE, yes, even if that means firearms on the premises. Otherwise these shooting are going to continue, and they are going to continue to get worse and worse as these cowards attempt to 1up one another through higher body counts or what have you. How long before 50 preschoolers are slaughted while having 11 bullets pumped into some children as many had in this recent shooting? I don't think having one, just one, armed guard is asking too much. I look at the faces of all those children and adults killed on the CNN website, and I can't help ask myself how many would be alive today looking forward to Xmas instead of rotting in the ground with their families utterly ruined if there was a armed guard there.

I personally don't like firearms. But I like even less seeing 26 people lying in puddles of blood with their families heartbroken for life. Something must be done. Unpleasant or undesirable as it is, it's come to that.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Bigboi500

[QUOTE="Bigboi500"]

Shame-usBlackley

The monicker 'assault rifle' is just a bogeyman that the media likes to bandy about. The AR15 IS an assault weapon, yes, however, the Mini 14 Ranch Rifle (a hunting rifle by designation) uses the EXACT same round (.223) and has 50 round magazines available. Both guns deliver the exact same round, at the exact same cycle rate and have similar storage capacity, yet one is labelled an assault weapon and the other is not.

And obviously, you've never had much experience with high power rifles (aka deer rifles). I have a REM700 in .308 that holds 7 rounds fitted with a Burris Eliminator scope that is both a rangefinder and optic that calculates for drop up to 1,000 yards. I can put a two inch grouping together with that rifle and empty it in less than 30 seconds. That means it would take less than 90 seconds to dispense twenty-one lethal shots (excluding reload time, of course) from 7 football fields away. You're deluding yourself if you don't think that gun could be devastating if used for evil means, yet it is not considered an assault rifle.

The truth is this: every gun can be an assault weapon. The flimsy and inaccurate measures they use to determine which is and which is not are laughable at times.

And, without making a federal case out of it, more Mexican children were killed by 'Assault Weapons' supplied by the Obama administration under Operation Fast and Furious than the kids killed in this incident with legally purchased firearms. Where is the outrage and shock over that? Where are all the media inquiries? Perhaps if the Obama administration wants to start initiating gun control, ceasing to supply the drug cartels with them would be a good start.

I've been hunting for a very long time, so you're wrong on that. The .223 is a relatively small sized round, and more of a varmit gun for ranchers, not a legit deer gun. You can't seriously tell me someone could walk into a school with that large caliber .308 with 7 rounds and take out 25 people. I don't know why you're bringing up sniping from a distance, that scenario has nothing to do with anything related to the topic or tragedy at hand. You're not going to kill 25 people inside a building like that when you're sniping from hundreds of yards away. :?

I have no idea why you brought up Obama and some operation in Mexico, I could bring up Bush destroying Baghdad based off his crazy religious views, being some kind of megalomaniac, blah blah blah. This isn't an 'us vs them' situation, reps vs dems, conservative vs liberals, etc. This is about using common sense and making some attempt to making it just a bit harder for idiots to kill massive amounts of people quickly.

I agree with what Rahm Emanuel said this morning about the situation: ban non-traditional sporting rifles, limit round capacity for civilian weapons and have better/stricter methods for checking people for illness before allowing people to own guns.

Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Shame-usBlackley

I've been hunting for a very long time, so you're wrong on that. The .223 is a relatively small sized round, and more of a varmit gun for ranchers, not a legit deer gun. You can't seriously tell me someone could walk into a school with that large caliber .308 with 7 rounds and take out 25 people. I don't know why you're bringing up sniping from a distance, that scenario has nothing to do with anything related to the topic or tragedy at hand. You're not going to kill 25 people inside a building like that when you're sniping from hundreds of yards away. :?

I have no idea why you brought up Obama and some operation in Mexico, I could bring up Bush destroying Baghdad based off his crazy religious views, being some kind of megalomaniac, blah blah blah. This isn't an 'us vs them' situation, reps vs dems, conservative vs liberals, etc. This is about using common sense and making some attempt to making it just a bit harder for idiots to kill massive amounts of people quickly.

I agree with what Rahm Emanuel said this morning about the situation: ban non-traditional sporting rifles, limit round capacity for civilian weapons and have better/stricter methods for checking people for illness before allowing people to own guns.

Bigboi500

Okay, first of all, I didn't say .223 was a deer gun -- I said guns that shot .223/5.56 NATO with the same characteristics are classified differently by people in the media, which they are. The Mini 14 Ranch Rifle and the AR15 are almost identical from a performance and ballistic perspective, yet people classify them differently because they are uninformed and judge guns based on knee-jerk reactions and hive-mind classifications from the leftist media. Your assertion now that you have been hunting for a long time is suspect to me, because now you say that the .223 is more of a varmint gun for ranchers, when earlier you ignored that this little round is the very round you were decrying when discussing 'assault weapons.'

Secondly, I didn't say someone would use a .308 by walking into a school. I said someone would camp on top of a building 700 yards or so away and take out twenty people before anyone knew what was happening or knew where the shots were coming from. My point was that securing the school is not going to stop an initiated evil madman. For every security implement, there is another loophole. My point, was that if someone decides they are going to do something like this, they are going to do it.

My point with Obama is that it is hypocritical to see a bunch of Americans get upset when a bunch of Americans get killed with American guns, but when Mexican kids get killed with American guns SOLD TO MEXICAN DRUG LORDS BY THE WHITE HOUSE, it's 'some operation in Mexico' as you put it. You don't even know what the fvck Fast and Furious is, do you? I'm not trying to equivocate the two, only pointing out what an assh0le our president is by acting all concerned and conscientious about Sandy Hook when his own administration sold guns to the drug cartels that got Mexican kids killed. It isn't an us or them situation, true, but we are all acting like major hypocrites about this when our own government has been supplying guns to drug lords that have caused, literally, rivers of blood flowing down Mexican streets.

And Rahm Emanuel has no authority on anything. Murder rates in Chicago have skyrocketed under his tenure, despite tight gun control laws. Chicago averages around 42 murders a month and it takes this to get some dipshlt like Emanuel to say he thinks we should be talking about gun control? What a fvcking toolbag.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#43 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 43988 Posts
Any kind of media from games to music to movies to literature can be used to fuel violent intentions. However I think the real issue at hand is clearly America's inadequate gun laws. There's no reason why anyone should own assault weapons that were clearly designed for war. Sure for the determined most anything can be used as a weapon such as the incident of an asian man who attacked a bunch of people with a knife. The thing about that though is that in that incident no one died.
Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Shame-usBlackley

Any kind of media from games to music to movies to literature can be used to fuel violent intentions. However I think the real issue at hand is clearly America's inadequate gun laws. There's no reason why anyone should own assault weapons that were clearly designed for war. Sure for the determined most anything can be used as a weapon such as the incident of an asian man who attacked a bunch of people with a knife. The thing about that though is that in that incident no one died.Archangel3371

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/School_attacks_in_China_(20102012)

March 2010

Main article:Nanping school massacre

On March 23, 2010, Zheng Minsheng ()[2]41,murdered eight children with a knifein an elementary school inNanping,[3]Fujianprovince;[4]The attack was widely reported inChinese media(called ),[2]sparking fears ofcopycat crimes.[4]Following a quick trial, Zheng Minsheng was executed about one month later on April 28.[3]

[edit]April 2010

Just a few hours after the execution of Zheng Minsheng in neighboring Fujian Province,[5]inLeizhou,[6]Guangdonganother knife-wielding man named Chen Kangbing, 33 ()[7]at Hongfu Primary School wounded 16 students and a teacher.[4]Chen Kangbing had been a teacher at a different primary school in Leizhou;[7]he wassentenced to deathby a court inZhanjiangin June.[8]

On April 29 inTaixing,[3]Jiangsu, 47-year-old Xu Yuyuan went to Zhongxin Kindergarten[9]and stabbed 28 students, two teachers and one security guard;[4]most of the Taixing students were 4 years old.[10]

On April 30, Wang Yonglai used a hammer to cause head injury to preschool children inWeifang,[3]Shandong, then used gasoline to commit suicide byself-immolation.[4]

[edit]May 2010

An attacker named Wu Huanming (), 48, killed seven children and two adults and injured 11 other persons with a cleaver at a kindergarten inHanzhong,Shaanxion May 12, 2010;[3]early reports wereremoved from the internet in China, for fear that mass coverage of such violence can provoke copycat attacks.[3][11]The attacker later committedsuicideat his house; he was the landlord of the school,[12]Shengshui Temple private kindergarten, and had been involved in an ongoing dispute with the school administrator about when the school would move out of the building.[12]

On May 18, 2010 at Hainan Institute of Science and Technology (), avocational collegeinHaikou,Hainan, more than 10 men[13]charged into adormitorywielding knives around 2:30 am;[14]after attacking the security guard and disabling security cameras, 9 students were injured, 1 seriously.[14]The local men attacked the dorm in an act ofrevengeand retaliation against college students following conflict the previous day at an off-campus food stall in which 4 students were injured, for a total of 13.[15]

[edit]August 2010

On 4 August 2010, 26-year-old Fang Jiantang () slashed more than 20 children and staff with a 60cm knife, killing 3 children and 1 teacher, at akindergarteninZibo,Shandongprovince. Of the injured, 3 other children and 4 teachers were taken to the hospital. After being caught Fang confessed to the crime; his motive is not yet known.[16]

[edit]August 2011

Eight children, all aged four or five,[17]were hurt inMinhang District,Shanghaiwhen an employee at a child-care centre formigrant workersslashed them with abox-cutter.[18]

[edit]September 2011

In September 2011, a young girl and three adults taking their children to nursery school were killed inGongyi,[19]Henanby 30-year-old Wang Hongbin with an axe.[20]Another child and an adult were seriously wounded but survived.[21]The suspect is a local farmer who is suspected of being mentally ill.[22]

[edit]December 2012

Main article:Chenpeng Village Primary School stabbing

On 14 December 2012, a 36 year-old villager in the village of Chenpeng,Henan Province, stabbed 23 children and an elderly woman at the village's primary school as children were arriving for classes.[23]The attacker was restrained at the school, and later arrested.[24]All of the victims survived and were treated at three hospitals, though some were reportedly seriously injured, with fingers or ears cut off, and had to be transferred to larger hospitals for specialized care.[25]

[edit]Causes

Prof. Joshua Miller, chair of Social Welfare Policy atSmith College, attributed the attacks tostresscaused by "rapid social change, mass migrations, increasing disparities in wealth and weakening of traditions."[26]Somesociologistsbelieve some of these attacks may be due to thePRC government's failure to diagnose and treatmental illness.[14]The perpetrators may feel victimized bystressdue to the rapidsocial changes[14]in China during the last 10 years caused by theprivatizationand decreasedsocial securityof China'sreform and openingperiod. During this time, more and moremigrant workersfrom rural areas have moved to cities such asShanghaito find jobs. However because they do not have social security (because of thehukou system), many of them do not havehealth insurance. Because of thefinancial crisis of 20072010, some have lost their jobs, which isstigmatizedin China, and have had to return to their native villages jobless andunemployed. The choice of schools for most of the attacks means they could becopycat crimes.[14][26]

You are woefully misinformed.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Bigboi500

Wow, it seems there are people who care more about the right to own worthless sporting rifles than the value of human life. I'll never understand the mindset of the far right. There's also no point in trying to debate or discuss anything with some people who speak so negatively about others.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#46 S0lidSnake
Member since 2002 • 29001 Posts

8+0+0+0+9+0+4+4+0=25 Total Killed in 10 different attacks over a span of nearly 3 years.

28 Killed in one short 5 minute attack using a Semi-Automatic Assault Rifle. And that's the point, those incidents in China could've been a whole lot worse if those guys were weilding semi-automatic guns or even handguns. You know it. I know you are a smart person. You know this is a BS thing to bring up, but you cant help it can you Shameus.

I would refute more of your ridiculous points in this thread but i know it's pointless. Your mind is already made up. Nothing we say can change your mind and that's the saddest part of this all. We have this far right group in the U.S who will do everything to keep these ridiculous weapons in their hands and in the hands of the mentally ill because they refuse to allow any new gun control legislation. It's not even like we are trying to take away their guns. All we want is for mentally ill people to go through psych evaluations before they buy guns, but we have Shameus here who will stand up for the 2nd ammendment rights of psychopaths and make it as easy for them to commit these acts as possible.

The blood is on your hands as far as I am concerned. NRA, every republican or democrat anti-gun control congressman, any President who didnt take this seriously after columbine and Aurora including our current President. They all share the blame. They failed America. They failed those little kids.

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Metamania

Wow, it seems there are people who care more about the right to own worthless sporting rifles than the value of human life. I'll never understand the mindset of the far right. There's also no point in trying to debate or discuss anything with some people who speak so negatively about others.

Bigboi500

Pretty tragic if you ask me. People caring more about guns than human life. What a waste...

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#48 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 43988 Posts
When I said "the incident of an asian man attacking others with a knife" I was referring to the most recent one that happened on Dec. 14th 2012. Still the numbers speak for themselves. Why anyone would want to allow individuals that are so inclined an easier method of being able to kill more people more quickly is beyond me.
Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Shame-usBlackley

8+0+0+0+9+0+4+4+0=25 Total Killed in 10 different attacks over a span of nearly 3 years.

28 Killed in one short 5 minute attack using a Semi-Automatic Assault Rifle. And that's the point, those incidents in China could've been a whole lot worse if those guys were weilding semi-automatic guns or even handguns. You know it. I know you are a smart person. You know this is a BS thing to bring up, but you cant help it can you Shameus.

I would refute more of your ridiculous points in this thread but i know it's pointless. Your mind is already made up. Nothing we say can change your mind and that's the saddest part of this all. We have this far right group in the U.S who will do everything to keep these ridiculous weapons in their hands and in the hands of the mentally ill because they refuse to allow any new gun control legislation. It's not even like we are trying to take away their guns. All we want is for mentally ill people to go through psych evaluations before they buy guns, but we have Shameus here who will stand up for the 2nd ammendment rights of psychopaths and make it as easy for them to commit these acts as possible.

The blood is on your hands as far as I am concerned. NRA, every republican or democrat anti-gun control congressman, any President who didnt take this seriously after columbine and Aurora including our current President. They all share the blame. They failed America. They failed those little kids.

S0lidSnake

LOL!

Your logic is busted, dude. Let's talk logically for a second. The gun the killer used delivers no more ammo, at any greater degree of lethality, or with any more accuracy than a dozen other guns that are not considered assault weapons. All guns are lethal. There is no Warner Brothers version of a gun. They are designed to kill. In your fuzzy little world there may be guns that are less dangerous than others, but the truth is that any gun, coupled with a decent marksman, is lethal and capable of killing dozens in a short span of time. This isn't my opinion, these are the facts, and they are indisputable.

Where did I ever say that new legislation is not needed? If you pulled your head out of your ass and read what I wrote, you'd see I didn't. What I AM arguing is that the logic people like yourself are using for said legislation is kneejerk, ignorant, and busted. I am all for crazies being kept away from guns, but how exactly do you plan on quantifying crazy? One of the hallmarks of crazy people is how absolutely normal they seem. Ted Bundy seemed very normal in public. I am a realist, and as such, I realize that the implement is meangingless -- you can't stop a madman from killing people when they've committed to it. Whether they use bombs, knives, guns, poison, or what have you, crazy is difficult to stop.

Again, back to Chicago for a moment -- Chicago has some of the toughest gun laws in the country and also one of the highest murder rates. Same with D.C. Again, those are facts. Try to refute them.

As for the rest of your unreasoned, emotional rant, you sound just as ignorant and uninformed about the subject at hand as Jack Thompson does about video games. You have erected this facade in your mind regarding what gun owners are like based on nothing more than wild, meandering assumptions, choosing to ignore logic and instead opting for the same shrieking hysteria he does. Blood? On my hands? What a load of unreasoned horseshlt. Congratulations, a winner is you. I didn't vote to reelect a man whose administration supplied automatic weapons to drug dealers that got kids killed. If we are going to have an argument over which one of us has blood on his hands, I'd be happy to sit where I'm sitting.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#50 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts

I understand these tragic events will always involve politics and such whenever brought up (an unfortunate fact of life), but I don't think this board is the right place to be debating gun-control.