The main problem with current gen gamers..

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ParonoiaAgent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ParonoiaAgent
Member since 2009 • 688 Posts

I find it astounding how thera is a lack of games featuring Non-caucasian or homosexual protagonist. Few gamers(including myself) wouldn't mind playing as an Asian homosexual(male or female). UNFORTUNATELY, a majority of gamers believean oversized, generic, roid lover(Marcus) is better than an interesting biracial male with a unique background. Seriously, why won't gamers be much more open to new things?

XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts

Because if it doesnt add anything specifically to the story or gameplay then whats the point?

Why have an amputated male-to-female transgendered character with obssesive compulsive disorder and diabetes if all you are going to do is actually play a tank to blow stuff up? The easiest thing is to make a character you can relate to or give the illusion that you are the character in the game.

if your extraordinary character's traits are relevant to the game, then hey, go for it otherwise, you'll only be doing yourself a disservice to your sales potential and to people intrested in the out of ordinary aspects of the character.

sam_nintendo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 sam_nintendo
Member since 2005 • 2066 Posts

A protagonist doesn't need to be homosexual or non-caucasian to be interesting. There are many protagonists that aren't caucasian, or allow you to choose. The homosexual component wouldn't often be pertinent to the story. There are many deep, unique characters, but if your definition of unique is an multi-racial homosexual, then your choices are rather limited.

ParonoiaAgent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ParonoiaAgent

Because if it doesnt add anything specifically to the story or gameplay then whats the point?

Why have an amputated male-to-female transgendered character with obssesive compulsive disorder and diabetes if all you are going to do is actually play a tank to blow stuff up? The easiest thing is to make a character you can relate to or give the illusion that you are the character in the game.

if your extraordinary character's traits are relevant to the game, then hey, go for it otherwise, you'll only be doing yourself a disservice to your sales potential and to people intrested in the out of ordinary aspects of the character.

XaosII

I just want more variety in terms of characters.

LiquidClear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 LiquidClear
Member since 2008 • 356 Posts

Making games is a business. If there's a chance that a particular type of character will turn a demographic of people away from the game, they're not going to use that type of character. They'll just go with what's been proven effective.

ParonoiaAgent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ParonoiaAgent

Making games is a business. If there's a chance that a particular type of character will turn a demographic of people away from the game, they're not going to use that type of character. They'll just go with what's been proven effective.

LiquidClear

What if we only knew towards the END of the game.

jJaAmMeEsS2184

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 jJaAmMeEsS2184
Member since 2009 • 894 Posts

I find it astounding how thera is a lack of games featuring Non-caucasian or homosexual protagonist. Few gamers(including myself) wouldn't mind playing as an Asian homosexual(male or female). UNFORTUNATELY, a majority of gamers believean oversized, generic, roid lover(Marcus) is better than an interesting biracial male with a unique background. Seriously, why won't gamers be much more open to new things?

ParonoiaAgent

That's just how it is...game developers go out into the real world and observe and target the age group they are trying to make a game for, and they probably are not going to try and make a game that would not be popular to whatever age group they are gearing towards...as for the non-caucasian, I geuss I don't know..I would'nt mind different races...but I'll be honest, when it comes to action games or shooters, or whatever, I'd rather play a tough-guy that gets all the chicks, and beats the crap outta everything it sees...and I'm sure that would be the majority of gamers...but it's also nice when games offer character creation, then you could make your homosexual asian person...(not trying to be funny)

so basically it's a popularity issue...there probably ain't a whole lot of heterosexual people that would like to see a homosexual lead character..just my thoughts...they are going to keep making games that appeal to the majority of the gaming population...same reason there are'nt a whole lot of games aimed at females..

as for why gamers won't be more open to that idea....can't speak for everyone, but I already wrote why I would'nt, but that's just me...noone will really ever know how well a game would be that way, until a developer actually goes against the 'norm' and makes a game that way, and see how well it does...

jJaAmMeEsS2184

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 jJaAmMeEsS2184
Member since 2009 • 894 Posts

[QUOTE="LiquidClear"]

ParonoiaAgent

What if we only knew towards the END of the game.

I'm not sure that would be kept a secret, even before the games release...and if it does, I bet most everyone will know within a couple of days by going online and talkin with friends...even if the character don't indicate that he/she is gay till towards the end..people are still going to know they are playing a homosexual character

mibukin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#9 mibukin
Member since 2009 • 544 Posts

There are probably more japanese protagonists than caucasion or around the same. RPG characters often have no race, since it's a fantasy world. I can probably name a bunch of japanese protagonists without thinking, which I think I will: Kyo Kusanagi, Athena Asamiya, Iori Yagami, Ryu Hayabusa, Ayane, Kasumi, Ryu(Street fighter), Sakura, Baiken, Anji Moto, Samanosuke Akechi, Jubei Yagyu, Soki, the entire cast of Basara, etc.

Dynasty warriors featured a chinese cast. Donno if Gloria from DMC4 counts as a black protagonist, theres Barret from FF7.

as for homosexual, theres plenty of yaoi games if you are into that and probably a few yuri(wish there was more). I always though Vice, mature from KOF probably had something going. maybe Ayane, Kasumi in DOA but thats just my yuri fan side coming out. Maybe GGXX bridget counts as transexual. I-no is probably bisexual the way she flrits with everyone male and female before trying to kill them. I think the company that made tomb raider made a animeish graphic cell shaded game that featured lesbian main characters though i can't remember the name.

muthsera666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#10 muthsera666
Member since 2005 • 13271 Posts
Personally, when I play a game, I want to identify with a character. A character like Marcus Fenix is tough and the epitomy of the steorotypes of men. I'm not exactly the most manliest of men, but I like to picture myself as being able to do the things Fenix does. When playing games like Syberia, I overlook that the character is a female and concentrate on the intellectual aspects. Honestly, I don't want to identify with a homosexual character. I'm straight, some aren't, and that's fine. I just have no interest in experiencing things from that perspective.
mibukin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 mibukin

i'm a straight guy and identify myself better with girls. infact i almost always play as a girl when theres choices. I would agree it's hard to identify myself with homosexual males, but females are easy. If you think aobut it you can say 90% of characters are homosexual though since theres often nothing identifying their sexuality.

Avatar image for Love_Hina_Lover
Love_Hina_Lover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Love_Hina_Lover
Member since 2002 • 4381 Posts

I think one of the issues about this is acceptance in society. Anyone who believes that all people are looked apon/treated equally in this world needs to get the crap out of their eyes. As a developer you do not want to limit your audience in some way that would make your game less profitable, as such a sterotypical charcter type is a safer bet than any charcters which has yet to gain full acceptance in the world.

People of religion tend to look apon items of sexual nature and dismiss them without a second thought simply because they are taught that it is wrong(not my belief, im non religious). If you have a character that has a "sexual orientation" that is not male female, this limits an audience when that charcter could be a sterotype and increase sales.

Japan is a great example of acceptance, games from japan tend to feature characters that are cacusain in apperance and not "asian" in apperance. This has to do partialy with the idea of having games reach a wider audience(na, europe, etc)(also has to do with dealing with pixels/resolutions, upping to 3d stuff etc, and japans acceptance of trying to be more western, and a slew of other reasons)

The other ideal here is sterotype as well. Most people can recongize a games genre by the sterotype of the charcter. Most people make uninformed decisions about games and simply buy them based on the 20 second exposure they get from them. A sterotypical charcter more quickly reflexs on the person than someone who is not sterotypical but is the same game

muthsera666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 muthsera666

i'm a straight guy and identify myself better with girls. infact i almost always play as a girl when theres choices. I would agree it's hard to identify myself with homosexual males, but females are easy. If you think aobut it you can say 90% of characters are homosexual though since theres often nothing identifying their sexuality.

mibukin
Not that they are, but they could be. Just because there is no evidence for one thing does not mean that it is evidence for another.
Phantom_Leo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 Phantom_Leo
Member since 2002 • 7090 Posts

Play this:

gapinglotus9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 gapinglotus9
Member since 2009 • 95 Posts

i have no interested in a homosexual main character. not to say if a game came out with a homosexual main character that i would avoid it for that reason. id give it a shot just like any other. if the story and gameplay are good than ill play it. the problem with making a homosexual main character, besides limiting your audience imediately, is how does that relate to the story in a significant enough way to justify it. you cant just plug a gay character into a shooter for no other reason than you wanted him to be gay it just wont make sense and gamers wont buy it. games are based on action. you cant have a character study as a game because their is nothing to control. basically it renders sexuality in a game as nothing more than a sideplot and people generally will ask why did he have to be gay when it added nothing to the gameplay or story it mearly created an awkward moment here or their that will imediately limit the target audience and revenue

Michael-Smith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Michael-Smith
Member since 2009 • 909 Posts
The problem with going the route of a homosexual character is that it will put off a lot of potential customers, as well as spawn negative attention from fundamentalist groups that catch wind of it. That kind of stuff makes producers say "Nope, I'm not investing in that... it won't profit."
patsrule316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 patsrule316
Member since 2004 • 376 Posts

You could be a gay character if you wanted to in Bully and Fable 2. You could be black in Rock Band, Guitar Hero, Oblivion, Fallout 3, and plenty more. There are plenty of options if you keep your eyes open.

NBSRDan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#18 NBSRDan
Member since 2009 • 1320 Posts
If you want to see a unique character, you shouldn't spend all your time analyzing skin color, facial structure, body proportions, and sexual preference. Masterchief from Halo is a black Dragon-Kin lesbian for all you know, but she's still a shallow character.
Lostboy1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#19 Lostboy1224
Member since 2007 • 3425 Posts
probably cause they want gamers to be able to relate to the characters they are playing as, and I don't know if the gay or lesbian characters have a big enough demographic in the video game world to make these games marketable to the public. No harm in trying though, just probably won't be easy catching on with a lot of straight male gamers.
Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
The problem with going the route of a homosexual character is that it will put off a lot of potential customers, as well as spawn negative attention from fundamentalist groups that catch wind of it. That kind of stuff makes producers say "Nope, I'm not investing in that... it won't profit."Michael-Smith
This is basically true. Mass Effect got alot of attention in media with the small sex scene, even more so when it could be between two women/female alien. I'm not saying it's right, but developers and publishers do worry about sales and bad attention from certain groups most often affect sales and/or force developers to change the product. *Cough* Manhunt 2 *Cough*
muthsera666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 muthsera666
If you want to see a unique character, you shouldn't spend all your time analyzing skin color, facial structure, body proportions, and sexual preference. Masterchief from Halo is a black Dragon-Kin lesbian for all you know, but she's still a shallow character.NBSRDan
Actually, Master Chief is a pale red-head. And he's lucky. What? So I read the books...
Avatar image for AtomicTangerine
AtomicTangerine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 AtomicTangerine
Member since 2005 • 4413 Posts

I'm calling shenanigans on this thread!

Sex is very, very rarely in issue in video games. You say most game characters are heterosexual, but I contest that their sexuality even comes up.

For example- Gordon Freeman could be gay Soap from Call of Duty 4 could be gay Luis from Left 4 Dead could be gay Samus Aran could be a huge lesbian. Heck, even Marcus Fenix could be gay Just because a character doesn't make a point of doing a Lance Bass and having a huge, "I'm Gay poster in the game somewhere doesn't automatically make them heterosexual.

man_hammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#24 man_hammer
Member since 2002 • 450 Posts

Phantom_Leo is correct.

Hana in Fear Effect is a gay Asian female.

I'll agree that it's not commonplace, but it exists.

mibukin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 mibukin

Sex is very, very rarely in issue in video games. You say most game characters are heterosexual, but I contest that their sexuality even comes up.

For example- Gordon Freeman could be gay Soap from Call of Duty 4 could be gay Luis from Left 4 Dead could be gay Samus Aran could be a huge lesbian. Heck, even Marcus Fenix could be gay Just because a character doesn't make a point of doing a Lance Bass and having a huge, "I'm Gay poster in the game somewhere doesn't automatically make them heterosexual.

AtomicTangerine

and nearly every character can be bisexual for all we know. Why did solid snake grab a statue's penis and grab guys nuts for CQC?

Phantom_Leo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26 Phantom_Leo
Member since 2002 • 7090 Posts

Phantom_Leo is correct.

Hana in Fear Effect is a gay Asian female.

I'll agree that it's not commonplace, but it exists.

man_hammer

ParonoiaAgent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ParonoiaAgent

[QUOTE="AtomicTangerine"]

mibukin

and nearly every character can be bisexual for all we know. Why did solid snake grab a statue's penis and grab guys nuts for CQC?

Probably due to his getting senile.... I guess??

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#28 S0lidSnake
Member since 2002 • 29001 Posts

You have problems with so many things that maybe you should leave gaming altogether. you have a

Problem with current gen gamers....

Problem with people loving God Of War....

Problem with Nintendo's new effort....

Problem with Naruto fans...

Problem with Michael Bay making movies...

Problem with ALL three video game console manufacturers...

You know GGD isn't your personal soapbox.

Free_Marxet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Free_Marxet
Member since 2009 • 1549 Posts

ParonoiaAgent
Marcus is indeed over the top. I wouldnt mind if game developers put more emphisis on originality in presentation. Gears of War had fantastic gameplay though, theres no denying that. It also wasnt "bad" in any department, so hopefully nobody think im dissing it. Anyway, I dont really see a need to develop race specific charecters unless its important to the plot. I think it makes sense to make the lead charecters the same race as the person making it.
PlayBox39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 PlayBox39
Member since 2007 • 420 Posts

I got a question.

How the hell do you relate to a video game character?

sayyy-gaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 sayyy-gaa
Member since 2002 • 5850 Posts
[QUOTE="XaosII"]

We could have retired this thread after one reply. You, sir, said all that needs to be said.
muthsera666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 muthsera666
[QUOTE="PlayBox39"]

I got a question.

How the hell do you relate to a video game character?

The same way you relate to a character in a movie or a book...
Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#33 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

To the original poster: That's got to be about the dumbest comment I've read on the internet all year.

ParonoiaAgent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 ParonoiaAgent

To the original poster: That's got to be about the dumbest comment I've read on the internet all year.

Jackc8

How so?

mibukin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 mibukin

http://www.peachprincess.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=PP&Category_Code=BGYA

A full list of games with gay males in it, all japanese. btw did any generation of games have a lot of homosexuals in them?