The Fondest of Farewells

• 182 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

User Lists: 0

#151 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

I still think you were WAY off on Mirror's Edge... but regardless, best of luck to you sir!

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#152  Edited By Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

looking at the bright side, now the new Deux Ex game will have a chance at a fair review. But I do find a little reassuring that many of gamespot's sjw's are leaving: Petit, MCshea and now Vanord... It seems those comments sections are causing fatal PTSD to some.

sm_mayo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#153  Edited By sm_mayo
Member since 2004 • 36 Posts

Best of luck, Kevin! Have always enjoyed your reviews. It's been obvious from the start how much you care about the stories weaved and the atmosphere created in the games you review. And it's always been clear just how much you love games.

You'll do fantastic at Trion Worlds! And I don't play MMO's myself but hopefully you get round to writing a few single-player RPGs for us sometime too!

Avatar image for masterchieflara
masterchieflara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#154 masterchieflara
Member since 2014 • 62 Posts

Good luck, Kevin! You were by far my favorite game reviewer. Thank you for all your honesty, passion, and hard work!

kuninushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155 kuninushi
Member since 2009 • 62 Posts

I appreciate you Kevin. Knew I could trust your opinions

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#156 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

Always enjoyed your work, Kevin. Thanks for making GameSpot a joy to read.

19Gam3NErD91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#157 19Gam3NErD91
Member since 2009 • 150 Posts

[I left this comment on your journey review since I wasn't aware of this blog post, so excuse me if I copy and paste it here with a little bit of edit]

wow Kevin I can't believe you're leaving!! I mean I was so used to reading your reviews and seeing you on the videos or podcasts for so long; I'm definitely gonna miss you a lot! :'( You were the best reviewer (and probably the most intelligent person) here in recent years for sure. thanks for all the hard work and dedication, and best wishes for your next journey! (see what I did there?!), and what a proper way to go after all these years...

I don't want to sound negative but now I don't know what this site will turn to with your departure! I mean you were pretty much the only one who actually could consistently produce high quality reviews. sure, I and many others would sometimes disagree with the score or some part of the review , but overall I think no one else could criticize a game as deeply and articulate his thoughts about it as well and as eloquently as you did. now I think Gamespot might as well just officially turn into a Youtube channel churning out dumb "top 5 GTA mod" videos (with occasional good videos by Danny). I feel like the time of written game reviews and editorials is dead anyway, so I may as well say good bye to Gamespot after 10 years.

taco_paco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#158  Edited By taco_paco
Member since 2004 • 55 Posts

Always enjoyed your reviews and writing style, Kevin. It sounds like you are going to still be involved in expressing that creativity so best of luck on your journey ahead! Keep up the quality of your writing as you have here and you'll draw a crowd in your new field as well.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#159 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

Good luck to you

Alecmrhand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160 Alecmrhand
Member since 2012 • 478 Posts

Part of me is so sad, but knowing you are moving to the creative side of gaming makes me smile. You are too talented to be "penned" in by merely critiquing others. Its exciting to think of the limitless ways you will now be able to share your artistic gifts with all of us.

Still, to me and im sure many others, you have been the standard in which all other reviewers are measured. The field of game journalism is losing a guidepost, a rock star, and a paradigm. No one will be able to replace Kevin VanOrd, but there will be writers that achieve greatness because they emulate him.

Change is inevitable, and frightening, and wonderful, and difficult, and many times out of our control. Here's to this one being exactly everything you hope it will be. The words, "you will be missed" are insufficient but accurate none the less.

We cant wait to see the amazing things you do next.

Thank You for everything, Kevin.

Godspeed.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#161 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

Best of luck VanOrd, will miss the the reviews, but I hope you will enjoy the new job :)

Avatar image for Lord_Python1049
Lord_Python1049

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#162 Lord_Python1049
Member since 2009 • 52 Posts

Thanks Kevin, you have been the primary reason I cared about Gamespot all of these past years. Good luck with everything and don't ever quit being around!

wazzawazza18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163 wazzawazza18
Member since 2009 • 936 Posts

What an amazing opportunity! I hope you excel in your new career choice and I look forward to seeing where it takes you in the gaming world. :)

joe_b1_kenobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#164 joe_b1_kenobi
Member since 2007 • 849 Posts

Thankyou Kevin for your honest reviews. And seeing you on the couch when I watched the lobby always put a smile on my face, as I knew instantly the show would be more entertaining with your presence. Good luck for the future.

max-hit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165 max-hit
Member since 2006 • 179 Posts

This is probably for the best. You deserve better than what this website has become.

You're the only reviewer I ever trusted. I wish you could still publish your reviews somewhere else.

I'm sure you'll do fine no matter where you go.

salute.

dietc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166 dietc
Member since 2011 • 32 Posts

for me this means that there is no reason to visit gamespot any more. with caro and tom gone for a while now, gamespot has now lost most of its creative force and writers who really have something to say. i came here for the things those guys/ that girl wrote, and i admired and pittied them for how relentless they kept on writing about what was important inspite of all the hate they got from this so called comunity. goodbye, kevin, all the best for you! i hope you're getting a step closer to doing something that matches all that talent you have. you're a muscian, writer, hobby physician and a cool dude (and that's only the little stuff i know), the sky is the limit!

Alucard1475

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167 Alucard1475
Member since 2004 • 564 Posts

All the best, Kevin.

max-hit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168 max-hit
Member since 2006 • 179 Posts

Always wondered why you stayed at Gamespot while the website's standards continued to drop lower and lower everyday.

We will support you wherever you go.

You're the only video game critic I trust.

DevilmanDante

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169 DevilmanDante
Member since 2004 • 30 Posts

Thanks for all the years of fantastic content, Kevin. You've always been a wonderful personality on camera and I enjoyed reading your reviews, so I'm sure you'll settle in perfectly to your new role. The very best of luck to you!

bdiddytampa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#170 bdiddytampa
Member since 2012 • 188 Posts

I know you probably won't read this Kevin, but I just wanted to say that Gamespot will not be the same without you. Your insightful reviews, unique personality, love of everything gaming, and engaging writing style have been one of my favorite reasons to visit the site. I trust your reviews and value your opinion. Thank you for all the hard work you have done over the years . You are going to be missed man... It takes a ton of courage to do what you are doing, I have nothing but respect for you, and wish you nothing but the best in everything you do. Good luck man!

paulunga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171  Edited By paulunga
Member since 2004 • 48 Posts

I'm sad to say that I only got to know you and your writing since Giantbomb joined CBSI. But better late than never as I very much appreciated your personality and insightfulness shining through in all of your writing. I hope to see more of your work on the other side of the fence and wish you all the best.

Good luck and have fun!

Elnath10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#172 Elnath10
Member since 2010 • 153 Posts

You saved me a lot of money with your reviews when I just joined the gaming world years ago... Thanks for everything

CanadianEh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173 CanadianEh
Member since 2002 • 7173 Posts

Peace out fiddlecub. You may as well bring that name back.

verbalfilth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175  Edited By verbalfilth
Member since 2006 • 5043 Posts

You will be missed Kevin. You have definitely left your mark at GS and, much like the legendary Greg Kasavin, your name shall echo throughout this ever-changing website until it is nothing but a god-forsaken husk. (we're approaching there, I'd wager...but nevertheless)

If any bad games come from Trion Worlds I'll be holding you personally responsible...

Just saying

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#176 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

Farewell, Kevin. Gamespot has been changing, in my opinion for the worst, in the past few years and losing you is like losing a good friend. I've never read a review by you that I thought could have been done better. That being said, I hope that writing for video games is rewarding for you. I'll keep an eye out for your stuff! Best of luck Mr. Van Ord.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#177  Edited By Pedro  Online
Member since 2002 • 69087 Posts

It was enjoyable reading and seeing your reviews Kevin, with the only exception being the video where you dressed up as an "apprentice" and was delivering the review in the most disturbingly geek friendly sociably awkward manner. You will not be forgiven for that :). Good luck with your new position and hopefully we can see better writing in games with your contribution.

waffleboy22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#178 waffleboy22
Member since 2013 • 305 Posts

GS won't be the same without good old Kevin. A fond fair well, and good luck in your new career

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#179 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58645 Posts

Very late to notice thread, but bye.

3rdbass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180  Edited By 3rdbass
Member since 2009 • 3301 Posts

Kevin your reviews could be polarizing at times but you always eloquently backed up your claims for some them. I definitely felt all your reviews were well written and you never backed down from your stance on a game even if I felt differently about a game. I always respected your opinion. You will be sorely missed. I joined Gamespot as a user shortly after you started writing your reviews so I have seen you become one of the main starts here. Even though I don't come here too often anymore(prefer Neogaf now) you will be sorely missed on this site. Gamespot has a lost a great writer.

ninjabiscuit90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183 ninjabiscuit90
Member since 2015 • 26 Posts

Kevin, you are the main reason I ever come to gamespot, you are by far the best reviewer I've seen, you the most critical and honest compared to any other reviewer and I will really miss reading up on your blogs and seeing your reviews. I wish you the best of luck in your future career!

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184  Edited By Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

Bye and good luck, probably read some of your reviews.

rogerpenna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185 rogerpenna
Member since 2008 • 110 Posts

Only saw this now... very sad about this, but happy you are following what you believe is the best for you.

Best wishes from southern Brazil!

Oinker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186 Oinker
Member since 2003 • 268 Posts

Just saw this now... Thanks for everything!

Best wishes from southeastern Brazil!

BatDoctor27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187 BatDoctor27
Member since 2015 • 16 Posts

You mentioned how Greg was the Gamespot reviewer you read and who inspired you to write reviews. Well, you were that person to me. I started reading your reviews back around 2008(ish) and was immediately impressed and inspired by how you wrote about the games you played--your descriptions and vocabulary. I started to write more myself and used your reviews as guidance for how to write and I think it has helped me a lot (when I actually take the time to write and finish things). Thank you for that, thank you for introducing me to my favourite game series, The Longest Journey, and I look forward to following you on your next adventure, playing your games (maybe reviewing them myself!) and reading whatever it is you decide to write next.