The Fondest of Farewells

• 182 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

OldDadGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#52 OldDadGamer  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 3531 Posts

Kevin, thank you so much for the work you've done here. You're a great writer. Don't be scared of the next step. I'm so convinced you'll be great, whatever it is you work on may be the first MMO I pick up. If you do have to leave, I, for one, I am grateful that you're staying in games. We need people like you.

Selfishly, I'm stunned and saddened by this. But also excited and thrilled for you. Good luck, keep in touch, never lose your passion for the greatest art form of our age.

23Jarek23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#53 23Jarek23
Member since 2009 • 2647 Posts

Damn Kevin, really sad to see you go but I wish you nothing but the best. You are/were one of the best reviewers in the industry, definitely my favorite, my go-to.

Gamespot will not be the same without you.

Good luck.

Avatar image for controllerissue
ControllerIssue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 ControllerIssue
Member since 2015 • 27 Posts

We at Controller Issues want to thank you Kevin for all that you have done for the gaming community. And though, at times we may not ave completely agreed with what you have written, we admired you for your honesty and for sticking to your guns. After all, we are all gamers, we al love to play.

It's not about the review, but the experience. Yours have differed from others, but we cannot deny the fact that you are doing what you love and you are sharing that experience. We respect you sir, and we wish you all the luck in the future & can't wait to see and hear from you again. #LoveYourWork

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#55 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

Holy crap, are any reviewers left in gamespot? What next, will Eddie start writing clickbait reviews?

Its really sad to see you go Kevin. You will be missed.

homied83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#56 homied83
Member since 2006 • 37 Posts

Kevin,

I've long enjoyed your writing and reviews. Over the years, I would say you've become my favorite writer on the site.

I hope your new venture leads to some great original content for the community to enjoy! Best of luck to you!

Erick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 Erick  Staff
Member since 2011 • 3025 Posts

Congrats and good luck with the new gig Kevin. Was a pleasure to have the opportunity to have worked along side you.

BelaidKL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#58 BelaidKL
Member since 2007 • 734 Posts

Every article/review you wrote I thoroughly enjoyed, your opinions tend resonate with me and even when they don't I have such respect for your work that I like it anyway... Sad to not see you work on Gamespot anymore but I will definitely keep an eye out for anything you write in future

All the best!

Alucrd2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#59 Alucrd2009
Member since 2007 • 787 Posts

:( you will be missed :((((((( Good luck mate .

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#60 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

Good luck with your future plans!

I appreciated your reviews.

A-E-Martin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 A-E-Martin
Member since 2009 • 26 Posts

I've always enjoyed your writing, Kevin. All the best to you for the future!

Michformer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#62 Michformer
Member since 2008 • 167 Posts

Sad to see you go. I've always admired your work and commitment to reviewing games as objectively as possible. Good luck in your future endeavors, and thank you for everything!

iowastate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#63 iowastate
Member since 2004 • 7922 Posts

we love you Kevin and you have been one of the high points of this site throughout the years and we wish you luck in your future.

Gamespot has changed a lot over time. Is there really that much left for the mods to do?

Trion Worlds is lucky to have you.

Legend002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#64 Legend002
Member since 2007 • 13405 Posts

I'm going to echo the rest by saying congrats and good luck.

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 soulcake
Member since 2015 • 39 Posts

Good luck in you're future endeavours !

heguain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 283

User Lists: 36

#66 heguain
Member since 2007 • 1433 Posts

Gamespot will suck without you, I remember the first time I saw a review of you it was AC2, enjoyed alot it then after some time you became my favourite reviewer even if I don't always share your opinion, I respect you. Good luck! :)

SeraphicNomad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 SeraphicNomad
Member since 2008 • 57 Posts

Good luck Kev and congratulations!

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#68 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

No, say it ain't so! We'll miss you Kevin.

The_Funyarinpa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 The_Funyarinpa
Member since 2015 • 504 Posts

Enjoyed many of the reviews over the years, best of luck making new stories

Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#70  Edited By Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts

Kevin, your words have been a cornerstone of the foundation that GameSpot was built on. For as long as you have been writing for GS, I have been one of your eager readers. Trion is getting a wordsmith of the highest order and I have no doubt that you will do wonderful things there.

From one writer to another, "May your words ever flow like a river, and cascade like a waterfall, nourishing the lush greenery that are our stories. Create those worlds that yearn to be built, those tales still untold. Every word we write contains a small piece of ourselves and the more we write, the more we share, not only of our words and emotions, but also of ourselves.. What of you will you share with us on this new adventure?"

Avatar image for mankindismymask
mankindismymask

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 mankindismymask
Member since 2013 • 29 Posts

NOOOOOOOOO :(

You have my best wish, Kevin. I'll forever thank you for giving Demon's Souls GOTY of 2009. And I look forward to experience your new adventure!

Isaac_Redfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Isaac_Redfield
Member since 2008 • 112 Posts

Sad to see you go. You were essentially the heart of Gamespot and one of the few (if only) reviewers worth watching over the past five years or so. With the changes to the site over the last few years, I'm not sure I'll bother with it any longer once you're gone. It's gone from a respectable (for a mainstream) review site to something closer to a blogspot with irrelevant "news" snippets every few hours. Sometimes multiple articles or updates on the same game in the same day.

Good luck.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10435 Posts

didn't always agree with your conclusions but i always enjoyed the flow and pacing of your reviews. a big loss for gamespot

Avatar image for deactivated-58ce94803a170
deactivated-58ce94803a170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#74  Edited By deactivated-58ce94803a170
Member since 2015 • 8822 Posts

Dang it Kevin, why do you have to leave, your the best reviewer this site has, your track record is amazing. Good luck on your new gig, you will be dearly missed. Congrats mate, cant wait to see your new work. I think youll make a great writer for games with your experience in the this industry, would be awesome to play a game written by you.

MonkeyKing1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By MonkeyKing1969
Member since 2010 • 66 Posts

“You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own, but never alone. . And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...”

Dr. Seuss, Oh, The Places You'll Go!

hyksiu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 hyksiu
Member since 2010 • 2201 Posts

Good bye kevin van ord. I hope you do well in you new job. I'll miss your reviews because you seemed like you genuinley enjoy games...

Luchingador

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Luchingador
Member since 2005 • 41 Posts

and now every1 from the "old" Gamespot is gone :c, good luck.

avenger4tw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 avenger4tw
Member since 2013 • 47 Posts

best of luck and good fortune to you on your new journey. Your voice on this site will be sorely missed. :)

Locutus_Picard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 Locutus_Picard
Member since 2004 • 4159 Posts

Well, godspeed with whatever you will write up Kevin V. It's only fitting you send it off with the very first game you reviewed, with a live stream of that Crime Life thing by D12.

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#80 Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

I haven't been here in awhile. That being said, I'm saddened to see this post and to see you go. After Greg left Gamespot years ago, there was only a few other reviewers that I could read and understand well enough to see what games were beneficial or a detriment to my gaming and you were one of them. To see you go is depressing, to say the least. With that also said, congrats on the new role and I wish you luck on your future endeavors. You, of all people, deserve to have great success in your new venture and I'm looking forward to seeing what your writing skills are capable of in another way in gaming.

JamDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 JamDev
Member since 2013 • 992 Posts

Sad to see you go Kevin. Always enjoyed your writing on Gamespot, and even when I disagreed with your reviews I still found them to be well argued and honest.

I hope you find fulfillment in your new role, any time you get the opportunity to get paid for being creative you should grab it with both hands. Good luck and best wishes :)

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

#82  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11669 Posts

As my favourite reviewer here on Gamespot, it's truly sad to read your farewell.

However you must move on and I respect that. Best of luck with your writing at Trion Worlds.

Doumo arigatou gozaimasu.

PixelAddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#83 PixelAddict
Member since 2008 • 2237 Posts

It's a sad day for Gamespot and those who frequent their shadowy review corners.

I always liked what you had to say, even if I didn't quite agree with it.

Cheers, prost, and all hail the Next Big Step in Life. I've taken a few such Steps, and I salute all who do the same.

Chema96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Chema96
Member since 2009 • 47 Posts

Even though I don't always agree with you, I deeply admire your honesty, and you have been the reason why a come back here to Gamespot. I grew up with your reviews, thank you very much for helping me develop my own criteria. You will be missed!

Chema96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 Chema96
Member since 2009 • 47 Posts

Even though I don't always agree with you, I deeply admire your honesty, and you have been the reason why I come back here to Gamespot. I grew up with your reviews, thank you very much for helping me develop my own criteria. You will be missed!

Avatar image for deactivated-5ef287a6cdc35
deactivated-5ef287a6cdc35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 deactivated-5ef287a6cdc35
Member since 2004 • 537 Posts

Good luck in your future endeavors.

MAD_AI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#87 MAD_AI
Member since 2013 • 28 Posts

Man, been following your reviews over 8 years I think, well goodbye Kevin and good luck on your future career, hope it works out for you. Must be exiting finally working in the industry after being a follower for so long. Hope whoever takes your stead is up to the task.

AdamPA1006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By AdamPA1006
Member since 2004 • 6422 Posts

Good reviews!

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#89 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

I've been following your reviews for nearly a decade. Good luck at your new job.

PS: You should review one more game just so Godzilla isn't the last game you reviewed here

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#90 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Godspeed Mr. V and good luck with your future endeavors. Your work here stood out, much like Greg K's.

It feels like your reviews on Gamespot were akin the last strong support beam holding up an old home in its final days.

Spitz6860

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 Spitz6860
Member since 2009 • 245 Posts

That's an awesome opportunity Kevin! I've been following gamespot and later giantbomb for a long time and you are definitely one of my favorite reviewer/writer. With gamespot now tilting towards video production i think a writer position at a MMO studio would suit you so much better. I played Rift for a bit and i think the writing was average at best, time for you to go there and make a difference!

BenderUnit22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#92 BenderUnit22
Member since 2006 • 9597 Posts

Good luck, Kevin. For years now, you were the number 1 reason to visit GameSpot after the slew of departures. Passionate, well-spoken, smart and cuddly. I always had the secret hope that you would eventually join Giant Bomb, but I hope you'll have a great time with your new job.

oj1029_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#93 oj1029_
Member since 2015 • 103 Posts

@Flatline304: +1

Avatar image for saturatedbutter
SaturatedButter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 SaturatedButter
Member since 2014 • 2289 Posts

Damn, that sucks! You and many of the others that have departed Gamespot were the reason I became a regular reader/viewer here back in 2009. Good luck in the Games industry!

man_hammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#95 man_hammer
Member since 2002 • 450 Posts

Good for you Kevin, I hope everything goes well.

I've enjoyed your work and I hope you don't dissapear into the background completely.

CardCanuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By CardCanuck
Member since 2011 • 26 Posts

Of all the reviewers in the vast array of gaming sites, your eloquence, knowledge, and creative style always pulled me to read your work first, and the rest simply couldn't live up to your par. I will miss your sage articles and reviews, but wish you hope in your next endeavor.

Ownsin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 Ownsin
Member since 2007 • 1331 Posts

Thank you for everything Kevin... It's going to be weird not seeing your reviews anymore :( . I loved your reviews, and most of the time waited for you to review most of the big games before i bought them. I have been following Gamespot for years, and it really saddens that you're leaving, but i understand that this is your decision, and i hope the best for you! thank you so much for everything, i hope you have the best of luck!

Gwynnblade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 Gwynnblade
Member since 2015 • 931 Posts

Well.....crap.

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#99  Edited By nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts

Hi Kevin, forgive my abruptness, but how much influence did the trolls of the internet have on this decision? Many of your new reviews got their share of abuse and you seemed to react a little more harshly towards it recently than ever before. Certainly on twitter you seemed downtrodden at times.

I understand you might not wish to admit what role they played, but they have no victory here when the industry loses perhaps the best reviewer in the business. I was talking to my friend recently about your role and we both agreed you might not remain on Gamespot for much longer because of these external pressures.

I'm not surprised, but still saddened by this occurence. I wish you good luck and want to thank you for being passionate about the reviews you craft. You have entertained, informed and analyzed games with an ability that few in this world possess. When you look back at your time on Gamespot I do hope you remember that you excelled and have the respect of many.

"Vai, amico, libero da fardelli e paura"

lloiddy01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By lloiddy01
Member since 2012 • 26 Posts

my favorite reviewer will be gone... whats happening this year everybodys leaving.. :(