The Exaggerated Swagger of a Black Teen.

YukoAsho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 0

Edited By YukoAsho
Member since 2004 • 3737 Posts

Sorry, but when I saw this on my feed, I simply had to.

This happened. Someone actually wrote that the act of falling down had the "exaggerated swagger of a black teen." And worse yet, it wasn't a white person, but someone who seems to be mixed race or Hispanic himself (and has set his Twitter to private as of the writing of this piece).

Jordan. Mr. Ramée. We need to talk. Aside from wanting to thank you for illustrating that minorities can, indeed, be racist, we need to talk about your apparent belief that A) races are monolithic, and B) being part black is enough to override the other parts of a mixed race person. You DO know that Miles Morales is mixed, right? Were you afraid, perhaps, that it would be too obviously contemporary to say "the exaggerated swagger of a young Latino"? Were you trying desperately to sound "woke" for your fellow Starbucks buddies?

Now I'm not a huge Spider Man fan, I'll admit, but looking at your review, the movement isn't that different from what we've seen before.

Honestly, both he and Peter Parker are wise-ass athletes with serious gymnastic abilities who glide around confidently on their webs, and both are incredibly graceful in their movement both in and out of combat.

Also, how many black teens do you see back-flipping off buildings? What exactly is it about this particular backflip that screams "black teen" to you? Would you have said something similarly stupid reviewing a game starring Peter Parker? As James "the Angry Video Game Nerd" Rolfe would say, "what were you thinking"?

Look, I get it. This is a minority character being treated seriously in a video game, and that's a damn good thing. We should see that far, far more often than we do. However, we shouldn't rush to assign every single thing a minority does to their race. Black, Hispanic and Asian people, like white people, are so much more than just their race, and to fetishize their race is just as racist as to ignore or marginalize them.

Note that this isn't meant to try to get you canceled, Jordan. This is in part to laugh at the patronizing, insincere wokeness on display, yes, but also to remind people that while our cultures are an important part of how we grow up and see the world, they are not so all-encompassing that you can look at a back flip off a building and go "yep, that's a black teen." Let's not rush to pigeonhole whole groups of people, everyone.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#1 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

America's fixation with race continues.

YukoAsho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 YukoAsho

@Black_Knight_00 said:

America's fixation with race continues.

You're not even wrong.

RatchetClank92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#3 RatchetClank92
Member since 2020 • 1342 Posts

That is a very cringey phrase to be used. Not even that it’s necessarily offensive, just sounds cheesy and brutal.

YukoAsho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 YukoAsho

@ratchetclank92: Indeed. not necessarily offensive (if a bit stereotype-enforcing), but just unnecessary. It's become something of a meme, as expected.

Loading Video...
Loading Video...

And really, how could it not? It's just such a poor choice of words that really should have been given some more scrutiny by the GS editors.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#5  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

The exaggerated swagger of a black teen.

Loading Video...
YukoAsho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 YukoAsho

@warmblur: Oh man, that's hilarious! It's been way too long since I've heard that one, and honestly, any reason's a good one, but that song just SO fits the subject matter.

Avatar image for deactivated-60113e7859d7d
deactivated-60113e7859d7d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7 deactivated-60113e7859d7d
Member since 2017 • 3808 Posts

@warmblur said:

Loading Video...

Wait, was that film shot in widescreen or is it cropped?

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#8 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

@ezekiel43 said:
@warmblur said:

Loading Video...

Wait, was that film shot in widescreen or is it cropped?

I have no idea.

Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#9 Coolyfett
Member since 2008 • 6276 Posts

@YukoAsho: Yea the Black Teen thing has been all over the internet since Gamespot's review. Reddit, Twitter and Facebook are killing it to death. How ironic that Gamespot is the cause.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#12 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

Gamespot is such a joke.

Just look at what they did to Cyberpunk 2077 with their politics.