The end of Split Screen?...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Madsucktion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 Madsucktion
Member since 2003 • 2079 Posts

.. and maybe potentialy screen-watching? I was browsing CNN today and read one of their stories about CES, particularly about TV's. At the end of the article they have this to say in the last paragraph...

Texas Instruments Inc., which makes the core components of many rear-projection sets, introduced another technology at the show that uses the same elements to help gamers out: DualView. In essence, two gamers wearing shutter-equipped glasses will be able look at the same screen but see different images. That means the screen doesn't have to be divided down the middle for two-player gaming. That should prevent the cheating that occurs when one player peeks at the other's half of the screen, TI said.

This sounds really, really cool if it can be pulled off cheap. I wonder if the sound would mess with you though, because on a split screen that barrage of noise makes sense.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/ptech/01/08/thin.tvs.ap/index.html

brandon2802

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 brandon2802
Member since 2004 • 1773 Posts
interesting, would be cool
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#3 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Meh, screen-looking is part of the culture of splitscreen multiplayer. Without it, fun times can not be had.

When I can play 7 hours straight of three-player splitscreen CoD4 multiplayer and have more fun than the entire Gears campaign I know that something should not be phased out.
c-d4wg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4 c-d4wg
Member since 2007 • 340 Posts
speaking about the gears campaign, i finished that with a friend on spil screen today on insane, it was pretty fun with split screen. It would be a bit better if it wasn't split because you could use the whole screen, as friendly fires off :cry:. But i often like to "screen-cheat" playing any halo multi player :P its just so much fun.
Foolz3h

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#5 Foolz3h
Member since 2006 • 23739 Posts
It better not cause eye strain.
G013M

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 G013M
Member since 2006 • 6424 Posts

I'm guessing that it'll be alot like those glasses that let you see a 3D Image on something like a computer screen by blacking out one one, showing an image, and then quickly blacking out the other and showing another image for the other eye.

So while one pair of glasses are blocked, the other are clear and it shows that player's screen, then it blocks those glasses and shows the other player's screen and vice versa.

If they do that, they effectively halve the framerate, so you'd have to be running at least 50FPS a second to get smooth, although that'd probably give you eyestrain pretty easily, so I'm guessing you'd need a much higher FPS count then that.

nopalversion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 nopalversion
Member since 2005 • 4757 Posts

Ican't get my head roundhow it will work, but if it does, it should be rather interesting.