The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Marzillius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Marzillius
Member since 2008 • 171 Posts

I've had my eyes on this game for a while now, but there is one important question that will make it or break it:

Is it required to play the previous Elder Scrolls games to fully understand the plot in Oblivion?

This is very important to me. If they are loosely connected, and playing the previous Elder Scrolls games would be like reading tie-in novels (in other words, not important), then I'll buy it. If they are very connected (like the Mass Effect trilogy is) then I won't buy it.

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2 rragnaar
Member since 2005 • 27023 Posts
There are references to the other games in books that you'll find in the game, but the story itself is standalone. You wouldn't need to play Morrowind to understand Oblivion at all. Check it out, it is a fantastic game.:)
vadicta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

#3 vadicta
Member since 2007 • 4354 Posts

One NPC makes a reference to necrophilia in Morrowind you might not fully appreciate if you haven't played the earlier game, though, so BE WARNED :P

superfluidity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 superfluidity
Member since 2010 • 2163 Posts

I've had my eyes on this game for a while now, but there is one important question that will make it or break it:

Is it required to play the previous Elder Scrolls games to fully understand the plot in Oblivion?

This is very important to me. If they are loosely connected, and playing the previous Elder Scrolls games would be like reading tie-in novels (in other words, not important), then I'll buy it. If they are very connected (like the Mass Effect trilogy is) then I won't buy it.

Marzillius

Not required to play them in any way, but I will tell you that Morrowind has about 10x the depth of Oblivion. One is my all time favorite game, the other I cleared through in a week and got bored.

Start with the better game.

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#5 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts
it stands on its own. if you want to get into the lore of TES, its in the games world's various libraries. if you dont, then its not a requirement.
DraugenCP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

#6 DraugenCP
Member since 2006 • 8486 Posts

Marzillius

For what it's worth, I've only played Oblivion and The Shivering Isles expansion (and had a lot of fun with it), and I didn't have the feeling I missed out on anything. Probably some references I didn't get, but nothing annoying.

disharmonized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 disharmonized
Member since 2010 • 1051 Posts

No. I played this with basically no knowledge of the Elder Scrolls and I later went back to Morrowind. Play it. It is an incredible game.

Brendissimo35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 1

#8 Brendissimo35
Member since 2005 • 1934 Posts

There are subtle and not so subtle references to Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind, and even Redguard throughout the game, but you'll never feel left out of the picture.

Avatar image for Bluestorm-Kalas
Bluestorm-Kalas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Bluestorm-Kalas
Member since 2006 • 13073 Posts

As people have said, it's just references. Get it, awesome game, you will not regret it.

198d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 198d
Member since 2004 • 265 Posts

pretty much what everyone else is saying...little references here and there, but besides that you'll have no problem following the story line. IMO this is the best game I have played yet for the 360. the game's been out for a while now so you should be able to find it pretty cheap. for sure purchase.

GTA_MAC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 GTA_MAC
Member since 2004 • 367 Posts

Oblivion is fantastic, one of my top 5. Do yourself a favor and play it. If anything confuses you while playing, just reference www.uesp.net, although you will be perfectly fine if you decide not to look things up. Either way you will not be disappointed.

soren008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 soren008
Member since 2008 • 2190 Posts

I bought it just from going on Gamespot (that's here) a while ago probably two years ago - just looked at the top rated games & thought I try Oblivion out - id never heard of it before never seen a single image of the game -

completey blew me away

one of the best gaming experiences I've ever had -

you definitely don't need to go through the previous

also if your getting the PC version - check out the "Oblivion Nexus" - the mods for that game are ridiculously good - and add so much depth to it

uas-2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 uas-2001
Member since 2005 • 18781 Posts
Didn't play any of the previous games in the series but thoroughly enjoyed Oblivion. Awesome game! :D
Marzillius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Marzillius

I'll get it then. My favourite games ever are BioWare's games. They never disappoint. That should be a reason why Oblivion should also be very enjoyable.

But I have one more question: Does the game have many issues with Windows 7?

Serpenthrone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Serpenthrone
Member since 2010 • 93 Posts
personally i thought Fallout 3 was better (even though it was released 2 years later) but Oblivion was a great game
LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#16 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts
[QUOTE="Marzillius"]

I'll get it then. My favourite games ever are BioWare's games. They never disappoint. That should be a reason why Oblivion should also be very enjoyable.

just remember that bioware makes fairly different rpg's from bethesda. you might like the relatively focused narrative and cinematic influences of bioware games, but that just isnt part of a bethesda rpg. bethesda is all about tangibility and immersion.
Marzillius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Marzillius

[QUOTE="Marzillius"]

LoG-Sacrament

just remember that bioware makes fairly different rpg's from bethesda. you might like the relatively focused narrative and cinematic influences of bioware games, but that just isnt part of a bethesda rpg. bethesda is all about tangibility and immersion.

BioWare games are very immersive.

But can you answer my second question: Have anyone had any problem with Oblivion and Windows 7?

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#18 rragnaar
Member since 2005 • 27023 Posts

[QUOTE="LoG-Sacrament"][QUOTE="Marzillius"]

Marzillius

But can you answer my second question: Have anyone had any problem with Oblivion and Windows 7?

I haven't had any issues with Oblivion and Windows 7.
198d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 198d
Member since 2004 • 265 Posts

[QUOTE="Marzillius"]

[QUOTE="LoG-Sacrament"] just remember that bioware makes fairly different rpg's from bethesda. you might like the relatively focused narrative and cinematic influences of bioware games, but that just isnt part of a bethesda rpg. bethesda is all about tangibility and immersion.rragnaar

I haven't had any issues with Oblivion and Windows 7.

i have only played oblivion on 360 but i googled "oblivion windows 7" and found other forums with people saying that his oblivion would "crash." the main thing that looks to be a problem for oblivion and windows 7 is making sure that you have correct and updated drivers.

MystikRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 MystikRex
Member since 2010 • 324 Posts
Yeah you don't need to play Morrowind before Oblivion. But it might be a good idea to get Morrowind after you've enjoyed Oblivion as it's an equally good game. And it's backward compatible on 360 if that's what platform you're going to be playing Oblivion on.
UT_Wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#21 UT_Wrestler
Member since 2004 • 16426 Posts
The great thing about the Elder Scrolls series as that you can read as much or as little as you want into the story and still enjoy it the same. There are countless books you can read scattered throughout the world in Oblivion that can fill you in on the history of where the game takes place (Cyrodil) as well as surrounding kingdoms where other Elder Scrolls games have taken place.
H-Revolver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 H-Revolver
Member since 2009 • 167 Posts
Morrowind and Oblivion aren't connected with each other story-wise. But really you can get both games since they are super cheap nowadays. I'd recommend getting it on PC.
morrowindnic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23 morrowindnic
Member since 2004 • 1541 Posts

Marzillius

They are loosely connected. But Oblivion sucks compared to Morrowind. But it would still be a good buy.

Not compared to Morrowind I'd give it like an 8.5-9(specificly on PC). But compared to MorrowindI'd give it like a 7-8.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts
Oblivion is pretty minimal on the story aspect so I wouldn't worry about it either way.
pr_deltoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 pr_deltoid
Member since 2010 • 44 Posts
Morrowind was a lot more complex, but there's no reason to not play Oblivion without playing Morrowind or any of the others. They're pretty separate. Some things about Oblivion are better and some things about Morrowind are better. Hopefully the next one is more of a combination of the two. :)
HaakonXCI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 HaakonXCI
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

I personally would recommend going after Morrowind first before Oblivion as there are some things that will be filled in that even in Morrowind was scarce with such as what happened to the Dwarves. Oblivion touches greatly on the Ayleid lore and of course, the realm of Oblivion where all of the Daedric Gods reside. To put it even better, the whole of Morrowind was all about Dark Elves and the High Elves along with the Nords in the expansion. Then there's Oblivion where it takes place in Cyrodiil which is home to the Humans so you get a nice taste of that.

Morrowind was very tedious when it came time to make spells/enchantments considering many things affected different things. As for Oblivion they removed too many things and put limits on what could be done which sort of ruined that so it's give and take for that aspect. Although of course with the PC version there's the editor for both games where you can do whatever so if you were to play it there that wouldn't be an issue unless of course you just want to play through it on vanilla or you don't have the time which is understandable.

Either way both games are very good and Morrowind has been proven to look just as good as Oblivion with the right mods enabled by the way if you were worried about graphics. Oblivion has graphic enhancements as well if you would like to sweeten that deal tool. It's up to you, have fun!

AbusedMajesty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 AbusedMajesty
Member since 2010 • 409 Posts
Oblivion was a really good game
Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#28 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts
Aside from Morrowind, the previous Elder Scrolls games are so old that Bethesda kept Oblivion as independent as possible, plot-wise. Still, did you know that both TES I: Arena and TES II: Daggerfall were released as free software by Bethesda a while ago and are available for download with instructions on how to run them with DOSbox on modern computers? No reason not to check them out ;)
Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#29 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts
You dont need to have played the others, though incidentally, Morrowind is a better game. =P