The Dreamcast is severely overrated

This topic is locked from further discussion.

bultje112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#101 bultje112
Member since 2005 • 1868 Posts

there is an easy way to bypass this. some pal games don't work on vga, you have to force it. what you need to do is put in some regular scart cables in the vga box and switch it from pc to tv mode. when the game loads with the scart cables and the dreamcast screen is fully loaded and you hear the cd going, then switch back to pc mode on your vga adapter. it tricks the game into vga and works well. works on all pal games that don't support vga except games that don't support 60 hz, which are a very few

godzillavskong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#102 godzillavskong
Member since 2007 • 7904 Posts

there is an easy way to bypass this. some pal games don't work on vga, you have to force it. what you need to do is put in some regular scart cables in the vga box and switch it from pc to tv mode. when the game loads with the scart cables and the dreamcast screen is fully loaded and you hear the cd going, then switch back to pc mode on your vga adapter. it tricks the game into vga and works well. works on all pal games that don't support vga except games that don't support 60 hz, which are a very few

bultje112
My VGA adapter doesn't have that. It's just a cord which plugs into my Dreamcast, then has the blue VGA terminal, along with a port for a audio cord.
Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#103 Darkman2007
Member since 2007 • 17926 Posts
[QUOTE="bultje112"]

godzillavskong
My VGA adapter doesn't have that. It's just a cord which plugs into my Dreamcast, then has the blue VGA terminal, along with a port for a audio cord.

you could use something like a DC-X or other cheat discs that would let you bypass the VGA issue in some cases. I have a feeling its only the US version of that game that doesn't support VGA , it happens sometimes, for instance Code Veronica PAL doesn't support VGA , but the Japanese and US versions do , same with Skies of Arcadia.
bultje112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 bultje112

all usa games work on vga with bypass, in pall they also all work except those that are 50 hz only like code veronica, skies of arcadia and aerowings 2.

does your vga also not have a pc/tv switch?

godzillavskong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 godzillavskong

all usa games work on vga with bypass, in pall they also all work except those that are 50 hz only like code veronica, skies of arcadia and aerowings 2.

bultje112
Just looked, and on the back of my Test Drive Le Mans case it doesn't mention VGA support. A lot of the other games that I have do. NFL2k2, Phantasy Star Online, Headhunter, Rayman 2, Alone in the Dark The New Nightmare, GTA2, Carrier, JSR, and MDK all say they support it on the back of my cases, while Soul Reaver Legacy of Kain, MVC, and Ready 2 Rumble don't list VGA compatibility , yet work. Then there's my TD Le Mans and Army Men Sarge's Heroes which don't list VGA support, and don't work nonetheless
godzillavskong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 godzillavskong

bultje112
Nope. No pc/tv switch.
bultje112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 bultje112

[QUOTE="bultje112"]

godzillavskong

Just looked, and on the back of my Test Drive Le Mans case it doesn't mention VGA support. A lot of the other games that I have do. NFL2k2, Phantasy Star Online, Headhunter, Rayman 2, Alone in the Dark The New Nightmare, GTA2, Carrier, JSR, and MDK all say they support it on the back of my cases, while Soul Reaver Legacy of Kain, MVC, and Ready 2 Rumble don't list VGA compatibility , yet work. Then there's my TD Le Mans and Army Men Sarge's Heroes which don't list VGA support, and don't work nonetheless

it doesn't matter if the back of the case says vga or not. if it doesn't support vga you can force it the way I said. just check this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEggdHKGuK4

it's very easy, but I guess you don't have a "good" vga box then(no pc/tv switch)

Dudersaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: -3

#108 Dudersaper
Member since 2007 • 32952 Posts

[QUOTE="Dudersaper"]Yeah I know about the PS2 game, it's one I've been interested in playing for quite a while now. I had a vague notion that it was the only one localized but I wasn't intirely sure, seems like a hard game to play when importing unless you know japanese well.bultje112

I recently played all sakura taisen games through e-book translations. this is really a great way to play them. all games have been translated years ago and recently I got an e-book and put all translations on it. that way when I play instead of reading the japanese on screen I read with my e-book the translations and it is very good(no more printing thousands of pages)! it has unique atmosphere and really impressed me. if you like sega I would really encourage playing it, or games like catherine.

Oh, that sounds like an effective workaround. When I get the chance to play So Long My Love, if I like it, I'll definetly try out the others :P
bultje112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 bultje112

[QUOTE="bultje112"]

[QUOTE="Dudersaper"]Yeah I know about the PS2 game, it's one I've been interested in playing for quite a while now. I had a vague notion that it was the only one localized but I wasn't intirely sure, seems like a hard game to play when importing unless you know japanese well.Dudersaper

I recently played all sakura taisen games through e-book translations. this is really a great way to play them. all games have been translated years ago and recently I got an e-book and put all translations on it. that way when I play instead of reading the japanese on screen I read with my e-book the translations and it is very good(no more printing thousands of pages)! it has unique atmosphere and really impressed me. if you like sega I would really encourage playing it, or games like catherine.

Oh, that sounds like an effective workaround. When I get the chance to play So Long My Love, if I like it, I'll definetly try out the others :P

me I started with the translated versions and within one episode I understood all gameplay well. but indeed it might be better to first play so long my love in english to get the feeling a bit. although the dreamcast games are a lot better imo. I'd say 2 is the best followed by 3. me I really loved the paris atmosphere in 3.

godzillavskong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 godzillavskong

[QUOTE="godzillavskong"][QUOTE="bultje112"]

bultje112

it doesn't matter if the back of the case says vga or not. if it doesn't support vga you can force it the way I said. just check this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEggdHKGuK4

it's very easy, but I guess you don't have a "good" vga box then(no pc/tv switch)

Yeah, I think I "cheaped" out, and purchased a lesser version. I may just go ahead and buy a different one. Thx.
WiiCubeM1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#111 WiiCubeM1
Member since 2009 • 4735 Posts

The Dreamcast was ahead of it's time in the hardware specs, and some the games were amazing, but altogether, I think the console is overrated. It's still a kick-ass system, but when I go back and play it, it really only excelled in fighting games and a few really good platformers, at least in my opinion.

bultje112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 bultje112

The Dreamcast was ahead of it's time in the hardware specs, and some the games were amazing, but altogether, I think the console is overrated. It's still a kick-ass system, but when I go back and play it, it really only excelled in fighting games and a few really good platformers, at least in my opinion.

WiiCubeM1

then I guess you hate the shmup and racinggame genre's. it arguably has the greatest library in those 2 genre's of any system ever released imo. also sportsgames with the exception of football. the 2k games still hold up very well

Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#113 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts

[QUOTE="WiiCubeM1"]

bultje112

then I guess you hate the shmup and racinggame genre's. it arguably has the greatest library in those 2 genre's of any system ever released imo. also sportsgames with the exception of football. the 2k games still hold up very well

I love my Dreamcast, so don't get me wrong here. But greatest shmup library ever? Come on now. It's got Giga Wing 1 & 2, Bangai-O, and Ikaruga (which is a Japanese exclusive not even released in the U.S.). What else is there?

AcidSoldner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#114 AcidSoldner
Member since 2007 • 7051 Posts

[QUOTE="bultje112"]

[QUOTE="WiiCubeM1"]

Emerald_Warrior

I love my Dreamcast, so don't get me wrong here. But greatest shmup library ever? Come on now. It's got Giga Wing 1 & 2, Bangai-O, and Ikaruga (which is a Japanese exclusive not even released in the U.S.). What else is there?

Bakuretsu Muteki Bangaioh
Border Down
Castle of Shikigami 2
Chaos Field
Gunbird 2
Karous
Last Hope
Mars Matrix
Psyvariar
Psyvariar II
Radilgy
Shikigami No Shiro II
Trigger Heart Exelica
Trizeal
Twinkle Star Sprites
Under Defeat
Zero Gunner 2

Far more than the 4 you listed...

Panzer_Zwei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 Panzer_Zwei
Member since 2006 • 15498 Posts

[QUOTE="Emerald_Warrior"]

[QUOTE="bultje112"]

AcidSoldner

Border Down
Castle of Shikigami 2
Chaos Field
Gunbird 2
Karous
Last Hope
Mars Matrix
Psyvariar
Psyvariar II
Radilgy
Shikigami No Shiro II
Trigger Heart Exelica
Trizeal
Twinkle Star Sprites
Under Defeat
Zero Gunner 2

High quality list, but pretty traditional fare. Not that there's something wrong with that for the hardcore shooting game fan, but in reality none of those games really pushed the envelope like many shooting games did the previous generation. Or like some of the PS2 titles did.

AcidSoldner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 AcidSoldner

[QUOTE="AcidSoldner"]

Panzer_Zwei

Border Down
Castle of Shikigami 2
Chaos Field
Gunbird 2
Karous
Last Hope
Mars Matrix
Psyvariar
Psyvariar II
Radilgy
Shikigami No Shiro II
Trigger Heart Exelica
Trizeal
Twinkle Star Sprites
Under Defeat
Zero Gunner 2

High quality list, but pretty traditional fare. Not that there's something wrong with that for the hardcore shooting game fan, but in reality none of those games really pushed the envelope like many shooting games did the previous generation. Or like some of the PS2 titles did.

Oh, I agree. Was just trying to point out to Emerald that there were more than 4 SHMUPS on the Dreamcast :P
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 Emerald_Warrior

[QUOTE="bultje112"]

AcidSoldner

Border Down
Castle of Shikigami 2
Chaos Field
Gunbird 2
Karous
Last Hope
Mars Matrix
Psyvariar
Psyvariar II
Radilgy
Shikigami No Shiro II
Trigger Heart Exelica
Trizeal
Twinkle Star Sprites
Under Defeat
Zero Gunner 2

Then I stand corrected. A lot of those titles sound Japanese, though. I'm guessing that's the case, correct? If it is, that doesn't help me personally, unfortunately.

AcidSoldner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 AcidSoldner

[QUOTE="AcidSoldner"]

Emerald_Warrior

Border Down
Castle of Shikigami 2
Chaos Field
Gunbird 2
Karous
Last Hope
Mars Matrix
Psyvariar
Psyvariar II
Radilgy
Shikigami No Shiro II
Trigger Heart Exelica
Trizeal
Twinkle Star Sprites
Under Defeat
Zero Gunner 2

Then I stand corrected. A lot of those titles sound Japanese, though. I'm guessing that's the case, correct? If it is, that doesn't help me personally, unfortunately.

About half of them are Japanese only. Not too bad.
Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 Darkman2007

[QUOTE="AcidSoldner"]Bakuretsu Muteki Bangaioh
Border Down
Castle of Shikigami 2
Chaos Field
Gunbird 2
Karous
Last Hope
Mars Matrix
Psyvariar
Psyvariar II
Radilgy
Shikigami No Shiro II
Trigger Heart Exelica
Trizeal
Twinkle Star Sprites
Under Defeat
Zero Gunner 2

AcidSoldner

the question is not wheter they are from Japan , the question is , are they playable by someone who doesn't know any Japanese, and I would have to think that they are playable.
Panzer_Zwei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 Panzer_Zwei

You can get CHAOS FIELD, RADIGLY and KAROUS on MILESTONE SHOOTING COLLECTION for the Wii in USA. SHIKIGAMI NO SHIRO III too.

I think PSYVARIAR COMPLETE was released in Europe for the PS2.

Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 Emerald_Warrior

[QUOTE="AcidSoldner"][QUOTE="Emerald_Warrior"]

Darkman2007

the question is not wheter they are from Japan , the question is , are they playable by someone who doesn't know any Japanese, and I would have to think that they are playable.

I still can't play Japanese games on my U.S. system.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 Darkman2007

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"][QUOTE="AcidSoldner"]About half of them are Japanese only. Not too bad.Emerald_Warrior

I still can't play Japanese games on my U.S. system.

use a CD like the DC-X (how you get it is up to you) , it will let you play imports
godzillavskong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 godzillavskong
So is pizza.
bultje112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 bultje112

[QUOTE="bultje112"]

[QUOTE="WiiCubeM1"]

Emerald_Warrior

bultje112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 bultje112

[QUOTE="bultje112"]

AcidSoldner

Border Down
Castle of Shikigami 2
Chaos Field
Gunbird 2
Karous
Last Hope
Mars Matrix
Psyvariar
Psyvariar II
Radilgy
Shikigami No Shiro II
Trigger Heart Exelica
Trizeal
Twinkle Star Sprites
Under Defeat
Zero Gunner 2

thank god for you

bultje112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 bultje112

[QUOTE="AcidSoldner"]

Panzer_Zwei

Border Down
Castle of Shikigami 2
Chaos Field
Gunbird 2
Karous
Last Hope
Mars Matrix
Psyvariar
Psyvariar II
Radilgy
Shikigami No Shiro II
Trigger Heart Exelica
Trizeal
Twinkle Star Sprites
Under Defeat
Zero Gunner 2

I somewhat agree with this. although I think ikaruga is in the top 3 best ever. still I said dreamcast has one of the best shmup libraries and I think it's hard to argue that. there's also been more released in recent years not on that list that I liked a lot like dux

Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 Emerald_Warrior

[QUOTE="bultje112"]

bultje112

We've already had this discussion, if you read the thread. And it had much more adult responses than this childish and religiously offensive BS you posted.

bultje112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 bultje112

religiously offensive. I lol'd there. why don't you go hide in a cave from the rest of the world.

Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 Emerald_Warrior

religiously offensive. I lol'd there. why don't you go hide in a cave from the rest of the world.

bultje112

Yeah, that really helped your case. Not childish at all. :roll:

Panzer_Zwei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 Panzer_Zwei

I somewhat agree with this. although I think ikaruga is in the top 3 best ever. still I said dreamcast has one of the best shmup libraries and I think it's hard to argue that. there's also been more released in recent years not on that list that I liked a lot like dux

bultje112

Personally, I'd take the likes of previous gen shooters like RADIANT SILVERGUN, GRADIUS GAIDEN, PANZER DRAGOON II : ZWEI, G-DARIUS etc. any old day over what's on the Dreamcast. The MegaDrive library is a lot better as well, in my opinion.

IKARUGA was a massive disappointment for me. I was anticipating it more than any other game at the time coming after RADIANT SILVERGUN, but they ended up coming up with a static style shooter with no story, lame non-relevant characters, rehashed score combo system and SILHOUETTE MIRAGE type gimmick system.

SulIy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 SulIy
Member since 2013 • 113 Posts
Most of it's significant games have been harvested to other platforms by now. The only game remaining on the system that makes it truly special for me is the original Shenmue. Shenmue 2 was ported to the first Xbox, but the first remains Dreamcast only. Oddly, all the attempts by Sega to get DC games back out to consumers have avoided this one title. I really hope both games get digital downloads on the major systems in the next few years, I'd love to see it on Wii U since the gamepad could replicate a VMU screen.
AcidSoldner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 AcidSoldner
Most of it's significant games have been harvested to other platforms by now. The only game remaining on the system that makes it truly special for me is the original Shenmue. Shenmue 2 was ported to the first Xbox, but the first remains Dreamcast only. Oddly, all the attempts by Sega to get DC games back out to consumers have avoided this one title. I really hope both games get digital downloads on the major systems in the next few years, I'd love to see it on Wii U since the gamepad could replicate a VMU screen.SulIy
I've read rumors that Sega has had an HD version completed for some years now but is reluctant to release it on XBLA/PSN for some reason or another.
Shenmue_Jehuty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 Shenmue_Jehuty
Member since 2007 • 5211 Posts

[QUOTE="SulIy"]Most of it's significant games have been harvested to other platforms by now. The only game remaining on the system that makes it truly special for me is the original Shenmue. Shenmue 2 was ported to the first Xbox, but the first remains Dreamcast only. Oddly, all the attempts by Sega to get DC games back out to consumers have avoided this one title. I really hope both games get digital downloads on the major systems in the next few years, I'd love to see it on Wii U since the gamepad could replicate a VMU screen.AcidSoldner
I've read rumors that Sega has had an HD version completed for some years now but is reluctant to release it on XBLA/PSN for some reason or another.

I've heard this as well, and it is really sh!tty of Sega to hold out on the fans. I feel like an HD re-release on XBLA and PSN is the only chance that Shenmue has of being recongnized again, and possibly result in Shenmue 3 finally being made. Despite the overwhelming evidence and reason that suggests Shenmue 3 will never be made, I still hold onto hope that it will, and the re-release of both games the the best hope us Shenmue fans have right now. I plan on purchasing the HD remakes several times in order to support these games should they be released.

If I was a multi-millionair, I would gladly give a vast some of my money in order to see Shenmue 3 made.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 Darkman2007

[QUOTE="AcidSoldner"][QUOTE="SulIy"]Most of it's significant games have been harvested to other platforms by now. The only game remaining on the system that makes it truly special for me is the original Shenmue. Shenmue 2 was ported to the first Xbox, but the first remains Dreamcast only. Oddly, all the attempts by Sega to get DC games back out to consumers have avoided this one title. I really hope both games get digital downloads on the major systems in the next few years, I'd love to see it on Wii U since the gamepad could replicate a VMU screen.Shenmue_Jehuty

I've heard this as well, and it is really sh!tty of Sega to hold out on the fans. I feel like an HD re-release on XBLA and PSN is the only chance that Shenmue has of being recongnized again, and possibly result in Shenmue 3 finally being made. Despite the overwhelming evidence and reason that suggests Shenmue 3 will never be made, I still hold onto hope that it will, and the re-release of both games the the best hope us Shenmue fans have right now. I plan on purchasing the HD remakes several times in order to support these games should they be released.

If I was a multi-millionair, I would gladly give a vast some of my money in order to see Shenmue 3 made.

I suspect they might have to redo the controls for any rerelease, and by that I mean redo the game so that it uses both analog sticks, instead of the odd way it controlled on Dreamcast , people like us who enjoy retro games generally don't mind, but I can imagine alot of people complaining about the controls if they weren't changed. but its really just about budgeting, if Sega feels not enough people will buy it, they won't pour in enough money. and given the economy, not every game will get approved though Im not sure why it hasn't been done yet, Ive got a feeling that the other game ports are running on what is basically an emulator , and if that is the case, it can't take too long to bring Shenmue to the system.
Avatar image for deactivated-583d57c5508d3
deactivated-583d57c5508d3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 deactivated-583d57c5508d3
Member since 2011 • 246 Posts
Three words: Phantasy Star Online.Allicrombie
This. I never had a Dreamcast, but from documentaries I've seen it seems pretty good. It brought online multiplayer to the console, and that's a pretty big feat considering where we are now.
Shenmue_Jehuty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 Shenmue_Jehuty

[QUOTE="Shenmue_Jehuty"]

[QUOTE="AcidSoldner"]I've read rumors that Sega has had an HD version completed for some years now but is reluctant to release it on XBLA/PSN for some reason or another.Darkman2007

I suspect they might have to redo the controls for any rerelease, and by that I mean redo the game so that it uses both analog sticks, instead of the odd way it controlled on Dreamcast , people like us who enjoy retro games generally don't mind, but I can imagine alot of people complaining about the controls if they weren't changed. but its really just about budgeting, if Sega feels not enough people will buy it, they won't pour in enough money. and given the economy, not every game will get approved though Im not sure why it hasn't been done yet, Ive got a feeling that the other game ports are running on what is basically an emulator , and if that is the case, it can't take too long to bring Shenmue to the system.

I really hope you're right about that. The fan demand is there, Yu Suzuki said that he would make it if Sega let him, all it would take is enough revenue from Shenmue HD and some good faith on Sega's part to get it done. And yes, the controls would have to be redone, but as long as the core game is the same, I could care less.

AcidSoldner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 AcidSoldner

Im not sure why it hasn't been done yet, Ive got a feeling that the other game ports are running on what is basically an emulator , and if that is the case, it can't take too long to bring Shenmue to the system.Darkman2007
This is probably my biggest issue with Sega HD ports because that's all they really are; not even f*cking widescreen support (I'm mostly talking about the Dreamcast re-releases here). I'd wish they'd put some more effort into them like 4J Studios did with the Banjo-Kazooi and Perfect Dark ports to XBLA. These N64 HD ports look better than the Dreamcast ports despite being an entire hardware generation older than the Dreamcast.

I'd be down for Shenmue 1/2 HD but only if Sega really gives the port the care and effort it really deserves.

Los9090

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#138 Los9090
Member since 2004 • 7288 Posts
[QUOTE="Allicrombie"]Three words: Phantasy Star Online.obenns
This. I never had a Dreamcast, but from documentaries I've seen it seems pretty good. It brought online multiplayer to the console, and that's a pretty big feat considering where we are now.

I played it when it first came out and thought it was great. It surprised me when it didn't work out.
Panzer_Zwei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 Panzer_Zwei

I suspect they might have to redo the controls for any rerelease, and by that I mean redo the game so that it uses both analog sticks, instead of the odd way it controlled on Dreamcast , people like us who enjoy retro games generally don't mind, but I can imagine alot of people complaining about the controls if they weren't changed. but its really just about budgeting, if Sega feels not enough people will buy it, they won't pour in enough money. and given the economy, not every game will get approved though Im not sure why it hasn't been done yet, Ive got a feeling that the other game ports are running on what is basically an emulator , and if that is the case, it can't take too long to bring Shenmue to the system.Darkman2007

Maybe the games are just not as popular as fans would like to believe.

Other possible reason would be the incomplete state of the series. Again, fans of the series already would know what to expect, but the mainstream audience might not be as acceptable of a game which storyline was supposed to continue but never did.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"][QUOTE="Shenmue_Jehuty"]

Shenmue_Jehuty

I really hope you're right about that. The fan demand is there, Yu Suzuki said that he would make it if Sega let him, all it would take is enough revenue from Shenmue HD and some good faith on Sega's part to get it done. And yes, the controls would have to be redone, but as long as the core game is the same, I could care less.

It should go something like this. Shenmue HD Collection. $39.99 retail. ALL proceeds go to fund Shenmue 3. Pretty sure that would guarantee sales.
Panzer_Zwei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 Panzer_Zwei

There's been 5 RYU GA GOTOKU games, 2 spin-offs on the PSP, and even one with zombies. Not to mention an HD collection of the first two games.

Maybe just nobody cares about SHENMUE in Japan.

Shenmue_Jehuty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 Shenmue_Jehuty

[QUOTE="Shenmue_Jehuty"]

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"] I suspect they might have to redo the controls for any rerelease, and by that I mean redo the game so that it uses both analog sticks, instead of the odd way it controlled on Dreamcast , people like us who enjoy retro games generally don't mind, but I can imagine alot of people complaining about the controls if they weren't changed. but its really just about budgeting, if Sega feels not enough people will buy it, they won't pour in enough money. and given the economy, not every game will get approved though Im not sure why it hasn't been done yet, Ive got a feeling that the other game ports are running on what is basically an emulator , and if that is the case, it can't take too long to bring Shenmue to the system.Heirren

It should go something like this. Shenmue HD Collection. $39.99 retail. ALL proceeds go to fund Shenmue 3. Pretty sure that would guarantee sales.

If that happened, I'd buy as many new copies as possible, resell them on Ebay to get my money back, and then buy some more. My level of commitment to making that series successful is ridiculous. My life will not be complete until the Shenmue saga is completed, I'm dead serious.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

[QUOTE="Heirren"][QUOTE="Shenmue_Jehuty"]

Shenmue_Jehuty

If that happened, I'd buy as many new copies as possible, resell them on Ebay to get my money back, and then buy some more. My level of commitment to making that series successful is ridiculous. My life will not be complete until the Shenmue saga is completed, I'm dead serious.

Nintendo should hire Yu Suzuki. His philosophy on game design falls in line with Nintendos. Nintendo needs a game like that.
Shenmue_Jehuty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 Shenmue_Jehuty

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"]

I suspect they might have to redo the controls for any rerelease, and by that I mean redo the game so that it uses both analog sticks, instead of the odd way it controlled on Dreamcast , people like us who enjoy retro games generally don't mind, but I can imagine alot of people complaining about the controls if they weren't changed. but its really just about budgeting, if Sega feels not enough people will buy it, they won't pour in enough money. and given the economy, not every game will get approved though Im not sure why it hasn't been done yet, Ive got a feeling that the other game ports are running on what is basically an emulator , and if that is the case, it can't take too long to bring Shenmue to the system.Panzer_Zwei

Maybe the games are just not as popular as fans would like to believe.

Other possible reason would be the incomplete state of the series. Again, fans of the series already would know what to expect, but the mainstream audience might not be as acceptable of a game which storyline was supposed to continue but never did.

I read that another big problem as to why the series fell off the radar had to do with the release of Shenmue 2 worldwide. Outside Japan it was released very quitely, not to mention the PAL region got it pretty much at the very end of the Dreamcast's lifespan, meaning pretty low sales for the game. The US of course got it over a year later and on the XBOX, and barely anybody at the time knew it was out, much less what it was. Again, this hurt sales for the game, pretty much telling Sega that there was no interest in the game. While I believe the game game does not carry the same fanbase numbers as something like Sonic or other really popular Sega franchises, I believe the cult following is big enough to make a commercially successful game, at least up to par with the Yakuza series, which is fairly similar.

Shenmue_Jehuty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 Shenmue_Jehuty

[QUOTE="Shenmue_Jehuty"]

[QUOTE="Heirren"] It should go something like this. Shenmue HD Collection. $39.99 retail. ALL proceeds go to fund Shenmue 3. Pretty sure that would guarantee sales.Heirren

Nintendo should hire Yu Suzuki. His philosophy on game design falls in line with Nintendos. Nintendo needs a game like that.

That would be really cool. I don't care who develops and publishes it as long as Yu Suzuki is behind the wheel of its creation. I have very high expectation for that game and only Suzuki San can meet those expectations imo

Panzer_Zwei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 Panzer_Zwei

I read that another big problem as to why the series fell off the radar had to do with the release of Shenmue 2 worldwide. Outside Japan it was released very quitely, not to mention the PAL region got it pretty much at the very end of the Dreamcast's lifespan, meaning pretty low sales for the game. The US of course got it over a year later and on the XBOX, and barely anybody at the time knew it was out, much less what it was. Again, this hurt sales for the game, pretty much telling Sega that there was no interest in the game. While I believe the game game does not carry the same fanbase numbers as something like Sonic or other really popular Sega franchises, I believe the cult following is big enough to make a commercially successful game, at least up to par with the Yakuza series, which is fairly similar.

Shenmue_Jehuty

How do you measure the cult following though? Specially given what you just mentioned.

I don't see how the SHENMUE namesake could compare to something like RYU GA GOTOKU, otherwise another SHENMUE project would've come out long time ago already, even if it was just an adventure game or digital comic.

AcidSoldner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 AcidSoldner

[QUOTE="Shenmue_Jehuty"]

Panzer_Zwei

How do you measure the cult following though? Specially given what you just mentioned.

I don't see how the SHENMUE namesake could compare to something like RYU GA GOTOKU, otherwise another SHENMUE project would've come out long time ago already, even if it was just an adventure game or digital comic.

Well there was Shenmue City :P
Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 Darkman2007

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"] Im not sure why it hasn't been done yet, Ive got a feeling that the other game ports are running on what is basically an emulator , and if that is the case, it can't take too long to bring Shenmue to the system.AcidSoldner

This is probably my biggest issue with Sega HD ports because that's all they really are; not even f*cking widescreen support (I'm mostly talking about the Dreamcast re-releases here). I'd wish they'd put some more effort into them like 4J Studios did with the Banjo-Kazooi and Perfect Dark ports to XBLA. These N64 HD ports look better than the Dreamcast ports despite being an entire hardware generation older than the Dreamcast.

I'd be down for Shenmue 1/2 HD but only if Sega really gives the port the care and effort it really deserves.

I can assure you its not just Sega , almost every compilation you will buy , wheter for a new system or an older one, is mainly emulated, it takes too long to port the games individually.

the only compilation I know that wasn't emulated was Sonic Jam on the Saturn , and it shows, but its in the minority.

I suppose you could add Mario All Stars to this, but thats more or a remake

bultje112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149 bultje112

[QUOTE="SulIy"]Most of it's significant games have been harvested to other platforms by now. The only game remaining on the system that makes it truly special for me is the original Shenmue. Shenmue 2 was ported to the first Xbox, but the first remains Dreamcast only. Oddly, all the attempts by Sega to get DC games back out to consumers have avoided this one title. I really hope both games get digital downloads on the major systems in the next few years, I'd love to see it on Wii U since the gamepad could replicate a VMU screen.AcidSoldner

because it's a bull**** rumor. there is no shenmue hd, they haven't ported it or emulated it and I doubt they ever will because what';s the point of angering new fans with an unfinished story?

bultje112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 bultje112

[QUOTE="obenns"][QUOTE="Allicrombie"]Three words: Phantasy Star Online.Los9090

I played it when it first came out and thought it was great. It surprised me when it didn't work out.

pso was really popular and sold quite well, although it deserved to have been a revolution like world of warcraft was. it changed videogaming for good. it changed my life for a few years in that I was addicted to it. after that no mmorpg could capture me like that. not saying that pso is better than those, but it was first and it did so many things right. literally ships with tens of thousands of people online at all the time. my god it was awesome! there are even some online videos of it on youtube and via special servers can still be played online on dreamcast