The Divsion, or GTA 5 online. Which should I get.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Evil_Saluki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Evil_Saluki
Member since 2008 • 5217 Posts

Anyone got an experience with either game. I completed GTA 5 as a singleplayer on PS4 years ago and sold it since. Thinking of getting it as a multiplayer game, all it's customization options look great, it looks like it has a wide variety of stuff to do. I'm not sure what it all boils down to when you get into it however.

A few friends and relatives of mine play The Division, so I will have company, but it looks a bit naff from looking over their shoulders. I was watching my brother crouch behind a small wooden crate while shooting a light machine gun at a fat guy who was walking around at a snails pase absorbing hundreds of bullets to the face (despite only wearing a sleeveless t'shirt) and all he was doing was creeping along the crate shooting from undercover keeping out of line of sight of the fat guy, it looked kind of comical. I can't say I've played it myself, and being able to play it with people I am with good communication with, which will boost the game for me. I'm not sure it's RPG elements look or feel right in a third person cover shooter setting.

II am torn 50/50 but I can't go spending out on both. Help us out here. GTA Online looks like the better game but I will be playing it alone with strangers.

Evil_Saluki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#2 Evil_Saluki
Member since 2008 • 5217 Posts

I been doing some more research and apparently GTA 5 online is full of hackers. I was worried how seriously it's taken as an online game, if they are not protecting their investment then they were obviously happy with the money they made from it as a single player, and the multiplayer was a stuck on afterthought or a sandbox playground for people to doss about it, like a few 10 year olds playing on a minecraft server with cheats on. I'm looking for a more solid game so if that's the case GTA5 is out the question.

Khasym

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 Khasym
Member since 2003 • 585 Posts

I'm going to counterpoint Evil here. I had experience with both GTA Online and The Division. If your group of friends, also play GTA Online, get that game. Without question, GTA Online with your friends playing it, will be a MUCH better experience. The Division has a few nice tricks, don't get me wrong. But it seems Ubisoft is dedicated to doing as little as possible to actually EXPAND on that.

The first free update, "Incursion" added a raid style fight: a Light Attack Vehicle, trapped under ground that you have to shoot at with guns and explosives. If your team dies, you start it all over again. The basic mechanics of the game didn't change, the enemy playstyle didn't change. All they did, was add more of them, with better armor and weapon values. I didn't even feel like I was fighting in a raid. I just felt like I was in a more difficult version of a Challenging Mode fight.

That kind of sums up the entire Division experience. I can't say my money was wasted; I DID have fun playing it and learning the story. But once I hit 30th, and was comfortably doing Challenging Mode runs, boredom QUICKLY set in. Ubisoft responded to this as only Ubisoft could, by making it harder to get loot via crafting, and bumping up the Phoenix Credit and Dark Zone Credit rewards for doing PvE and PvP, while ALSO 6x-8xing the COST of the gear purchased with those currencies.

In conclusion, as I said, if your friends have GTA Online, and want to play it, get that game. Otherwise, I'd maybe try Battleborn or possibly wait for No Man's Sky or something deeper around the christmas buildup.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#4 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@Evil_Saluki said:

Anyone got an experience with either game. I completed GTA 5 as a singleplayer on PS4 years ago and sold it since. Thinking of getting it as a multiplayer game, all it's customization options look great, it looks like it has a wide variety of stuff to do. I'm not sure what it all boils down to when you get into it however.

A few friends and relatives of mine play The Division, so I will have company, but it looks a bit naff from looking over their shoulders. I was watching my brother crouch behind a small wooden crate while shooting a light machine gun at a fat guy who was walking around at a snails pase absorbing hundreds of bullets to the face (despite only wearing a sleeveless t'shirt) and all he was doing was creeping along the crate shooting from undercover keeping out of line of sight of the fat guy, it looked kind of comical. I can't say I've played it myself, and being able to play it with people I am with good communication with, which will boost the game for me. I'm not sure it's RPG elements look or feel right in a third person cover shooter setting.

II am torn 50/50 but I can't go spending out on both. Help us out here. GTA Online looks like the better game but I will be playing it alone with strangers.

Get GTA V of course.

The Division is a horrible broken piece of shit that should never have been released.