The Biggest disappointment on a game you waited for ?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Dennysinny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 Dennysinny
Member since 2013 • 296 Posts

The Biggest Disappointment i had was super paper mario.... i waited when i first found out it was coming out i loved the first and second one then for christmas i got the wii and the paper mario game...and it wasnt the same as the other two was....i was really disappointed.

marcheegsr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2 marcheegsr
Member since 2004 • 3115 Posts

The anticipation for GTAV was big or me. But when I finally beat it, was really disappointed in the story. To me it was pretty lame. But everything else about the game was flawless imo.

Most recently was waiting for Drive club and Watch dogs prior ps4 launch, and got really disappointed when I found it they go delayed.

Dennysinny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Dennysinny
Member since 2013 • 296 Posts

@marcheegsr: GTAV was okay the only thing i like about the game is the fact that it was online and you get to compete with other people...i felt the game was so focused more on graphics the forgot about everything else. i expected a lot more from the game but its okay i feel it more of a "promotional and title used type of game" meaning it got really big based on the whole GTA series itself

Shielder7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4 Shielder7
Member since 2006 • 5191 Posts

Dragon Age

ChiefvsGordon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 ChiefvsGordon
Member since 2005 • 1085 Posts

diablo 3

stizzal13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 stizzal13
Member since 2013 • 609 Posts

In recent memory, I would say Sonic Lost Worlds on the 3DS. I had high hopes for the game, then I played the demo...oh boy...

I felt like I was running into a brick wall constantly. The levels in the demo felt poorly designed. It was a like the creators were lost between making a level that would highlight Sonic's speed and a level from SMG.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Bioshock Infinite.

If you saw them gameplay previews then you know what I'm about. What a rip off !

blamix99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#8 blamix99
Member since 2011 • 2685 Posts

FFXIII and Dragon Age 2

jekyll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 145

#9 jekyll
Member since 2002 • 9140 Posts

Rage sure seemed like it would be open-world, but was so disappointingly linear.

ZZoMBiE13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#10 ZZoMBiE13
Member since 2002 • 22934 Posts

Probably Grand Theft Auto IV. I know a lot of people liked it. But after San Andreas and it's particular brand of fun, I was let down by so many things in GTA IV. The lack of weapon variety, confusing gameplay choices like the toll booth that knocked the pace of runs down a notch, the friend date system, just so many things like that. I still played it, and I even enjoyed the DLC packs. But the overall experience was a let down.

I'd put Halo 2 on the list as well. The campaign in Halo: Combat Evolved was so great and the gameplay was so fun that the second game with it's dimly lit corridors, cutscene graphical glitches, short campaign, and cliffhanger ending all added up to a deflating experience. Sure the multiplayer was better than before, but at the cost of the story mode. Thankfully 3 picked up the slack and ended the original story arc on a high note.

Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#11 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

Probably GT5. It spent 5 years in development and had the second highest budget of any game made at that time. The developer had it hyped up to be the second coming of Christ. At launch it was just sad. The AI you race against was horrible beyond belief and the career mode was a boring grind for money. And they had told us it had some huge number of tracks but actually they were including all the variations on all the tracks in that number - other than what was in GT4 and GT5 Prologue, there was very little in the way of new tracks.

After numerous updates, and a year's worth of seasonal events it eventually turned into a very good game, but the way it was at launch was just shocking.

medusacharmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By medusacharmer
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

for me it was arkham origins, not that the game was that bad, but i expected a lot more innovation. It was the just the same thing over again, to less new ideas.

andyleigh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 andyleigh
Member since 2013 • 32 Posts

At the moment? Adventure Time: Explore the Dungeon blah blah blah. I'm sure more experienced gamers could offer an 'I could've told you that', but alas. Here's hoping Zelda: the Wind Waker isn't as disappointing.

Ish_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Ish_basic
Member since 2002 • 5051 Posts

Probably would be GW2. But I still think it's a great game. See, played the first one for five, six years and was really looking forward to putting as much time into GW2. Problem is, they got it in their head they had to simplify everything. Some people used to use the term "Build Wars" mockingly, but it's what I always loved about the original. I could constantly experiment with different loadouts, and if I got bored, take a few months off and come back to a completely revamped skillset (they did constant rebalancing, a lot of times changing skill effects entirely, just to keep things fresh) and experiment again anew.

Love everything else about GW2 except for the simplistic build system (which, to be fair is actually deeper than most mmos), but since 90% of the game (random percentage) is combat it becomes a deal breaker for me. But I hear they're going to start adding new weapon skills and extending existing weapons to classes that previously didn't have access to them. First time I've really heard them make a commitment to diversifying builds and I look forward to seeing them do it.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

@ChiefvsGordon said:

diablo 3

.....yea. This by far has got to be my biggest disappointment in gaming, probably, well.....since ever.

Of notable mention: GTA IV, MGS IV. Two incredible disappointments considering their predecessors.

CoquiNegro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By CoquiNegro
Member since 2013 • 171 Posts

Guild Wars 2. I played the original guild wars for more than 8,000 hours. It is the game I've played the most in my life. I was addicted to it so after the huge marketing campaign toward the second game I really did think it was going to be the second coming of Christ... and then I played it for about 2 weeks... I just couldn't get into it. Most of the "revolutionary" features that were promised were extremely overblown. I simply did not get into the game. Granted it was still a great game, but a far cry from the revolution I was expecting.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17  Edited By Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19563 Posts

Guild Wars 2 probably gets my vote as well. They removed the whole deck-building-esque skill system and replaced it with a really dull story and disapponting lore elements. Plus they removed my favourite classes (ritualist and dervish).

Sure, the game wasn't terrible, but it felo far short of what it should have been.

Baconelite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Baconelite
Member since 2011 • 227 Posts

Star Wars: The Old Republic.

I looked forward to this game for 3 years. I joined a pre-release roleplaying guild and had a ton of fun there + I won a World of Warcraft Battlechest (Main game + BC and WotLK) while waiting. I got really hooked on WoW and I loved that game and at the time Star Wars: The Old Republic was released, it just sucked. I forced myself to play for 2 months, because I had waited for so long. Even now that it is f2p, I don't wanna play lol.

I quit WoW too, because you know, Cataclysm and MoP suck.

Avatar image for bonesawisready5
bonesawisready5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 bonesawisready5
Member since 2011 • 4971 Posts

Twisted Metal in 2012. I was so looking forward to it, played the beta I think or maybe it was the demo for a few hours, trying to convince myself that I could enjoy the controls, mechanics and lack of personality compared to the originals, or at least how I remember the originals, and then finally admitted that I wanted to cancel my pre order and save my money for something else. I really wanted that to work out but I hated everything about playing it once I actually got into it.

Also, Ni No Kuni a little bit. Its already a grind heavy game but I hate that you can't really replenish your MP that easy thus I need to rely on my familiars more than I'd like

chicknfeet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#20 chicknfeet
Member since 2004 • 15630 Posts

Biggest disappointments? MvC3 was way over hyped and i couldn't stand it when i bought it day 1. They definitely made it oversimplified and killed the strategy that MvC2 had. I bought it on day one and returned it on evening one. Another big disappointment was GTA4 which, after playing the hell out of Vice City and San Andreas, i was expecting to be loose and light hearted. Turend out it was a little too far up its own ass for my liking.

bowchicka07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 bowchicka07
Member since 2013 • 1104 Posts

Halo 4, Dungeon Siege III, Final Fantasy XIII, AC 3,

@ZZoMBiE13 said:

I'd put Halo 2 on the list as well. The campaign in Halo: Combat Evolved was so great and the gameplay was so fun that the second game with it's dimly lit corridors, cutscene graphical glitches, short campaign, and cliffhanger ending all added up to a deflating experience. Sure the multiplayer was better than before, but at the cost of the story mode. Thankfully 3 picked up the slack and ended the original story arc on a high note.

Man that games a gem. Come on. You were really disappointed with it?

jasean79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By jasean79
Member since 2005 • 2593 Posts

Splinter Cell Blacklist Multiplayer.

The single player game was awesome, and so was the co-op. But the spies vs merc I was really looking forward to. I had great memories from Chaos theory on the original xbox. This time around it was complete garbage. It had such great potential and they ruined it. If they're not going to make MP great again, then at least get the original servers up and running so I can play the MP from Chaos Theory.

stizzal13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 stizzal13
Member since 2013 • 609 Posts

@Lulu_Lulu said:

Bioshock Infinite.

If you saw them gameplay previews then you know what I'm about. What a rip off !

I agree with you on Bioshock Infinite.

ZZoMBiE13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ZZoMBiE13

@bowchicka07 said:

Halo 4, Dungeon Siege III, Final Fantasy XIII, AC 3,

@ZZoMBiE13 said:

Man that games a gem. Come on. You were really disappointed with it?

It's not that it's a bad game. It's the disappointment factor based on the quality of the game that preceded it. Like I said, the multiplayer was better than ever and I eventually got to use it, but I was excited to see the next chapter of the story when I got the game. And that mode was a severe let down.

• They took your lamp when you were playing as the Arbiter, which also happened to be the darkest levels in the game with the least coherent level design.
  • While being 15 chapters instead of the previous games 10, the levels were shorter and far less open for exploration compared to Combat Evolved making the campaign much shorter.
  • The Legendary co-op was set up so that if one player died, the other would lose as well making a co-op run on Legendary damn near impossible (this is also the mode I played most in H:CE and was hoping to play most in H2).
  • It was also locked to a side by side camera rather than the top and bottom style of the past game. This made your vision severely limited on an open battlefield level and getting shot by enemies you never saw was commonplace compared to the previous games open angle of view. Couple that with the new Jackal Sniper who can kill you quick long before you even see his location and it's added a new level of frustration.
  • Also the graphical hiccups in the retail version were insane, the pop-in that made cutscenes unacceptably ugly despite being the biggest game on the planet when it launched. It was as big as GTA at the time, but couldn't manage to properly draw it's cutscenes.

At it's core, it's a good game. But at the time, it was following a game that people had been playing for 3 years and it felt like significantly less of a game when it launched unless you had Xbox Live, which I didn't. Based solely on it's single player and split screen options, it was a huge letdown compared to Combat Evolved. Not bad, just majorly disappointing given it's legacy.

A couple of months later when I got a LIVE account, it was better. But as someone who actually liked Halo's story more than just shooting at strangers, it was a very disappointing game for me. At least at first, and first impressions are hard to shake even 9 years later.

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Randolph
Member since 2002 • 10542 Posts

I didn't like Halo 2 much, either. Multiplayer did nothing for me, since that just exposes you to the worst people on the planet earth. Single player was a mixed bag. It felt almost incomplete, and had some bizarre changes. I'm glad that ZZombie also noticed the terrible lighting. In spots, the game was so dark, it was almost unplayable. Halo 3 was much better from a sheer gameplay standpoint, but the presentation left a lot to be desired and because of that the game has aged incredibly poorly.

Avatar image for klonoafanboy122
klonoafanboy122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 klonoafanboy122
Member since 2013 • 232 Posts

ni no kuni: not neserseraly a bad game just really mediocre at best visualy its fantastic but gameplay wise it was boring as hell

marvel vs capcom 3:visualy it looks nice but gameplay was just mediocre

persona 4 arena:great game just not as great as i wanted it to be but maybe its because i love the persona games to death

Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#27 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts

True Crime: Streets of LA in that I was expecting it to top GTA. DERP.

GTA 4 and FF XIII for all the usual reasons.

alim298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28  Edited By alim298
Member since 2012 • 2747 Posts

Operation flashpoint Dragon rising/Red river.

huerito323

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#29 huerito323
Member since 2009 • 1432 Posts

Most recently Battlefield 4. What a POS game!

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#30  Edited By LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts

assassin's creed was a big disappointment. it was early in the PS3's life cycle and there weren't a lot of games to play. i saw the previews of altair sprinting across scaffoldings and climbing up cathedral walls and i was probably more excited than i should have been. made by the people behind the sands of time? even better. to be fair, the free running was pretty awesome. it's just that everything around it was pretty bad. the sidequests and overworld felt pointless. the stealth was trial and error, except you got stuck with the mind numbing combat instead of getting the option to reload a save.

a recent one was rain. it really wasn't bad, just disappointing. the early trailers were gorgeous and it had some of the creative talent from team ico helping (you know, not making the last guardian). even the gameplay previews had that magic. it's just hard to appreciate how intrusive those cut-scenes are until you actually play the game. it's like every minute or two a 5 second scene interrupts you. they seem like nothing when you're watching, but it gets so jarring trying to reorient yourself while your character is invisible.

bowchicka07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 bowchicka07
Member since 2013 • 1104 Posts

@Randolph said:

I didn't like Halo 2 much, either. Multiplayer did nothing for me, since that just exposes you to the worst people on the planet earth.

Play League of Legends. Will make those people look like saints.

Avatar image for Shame-usBlackley
Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#32  Edited By Shame-usBlackley
Member since 2002 • 18266 Posts

Far and away Metal Gear Solid 4, a story-focused game with a shit story isn't much to write home about.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#33 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

I was initially very disappointed with Twilight Princess. Despite the 50 hour playtime, I felt that it was too short and didn't live up to expectations. Looking back, I see that that's only because I got myself ridiculously overhyped because I was young. I think it's a really great game now.

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#34 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5903 Posts

Diablo 3, but I still really like the game. I was just hoping for more of what Diablo II offered and less of the arcade-like feel of 3.

T-Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#35 T-Prime
Member since 2003 • 995 Posts

Crysis 3 comes to mind.

I tend to stay away from preview coverage at all costs, but I saw the dam level at E3 and got way too hyped up for a sequel to Crysis 2 (I had not played Crysis 1 at that point). It ended up being way too short, too similar to Crysis 2 in its gameplay and UI and its story made no almost sense and made no effort to make more sense.

ZZoMBiE13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 ZZoMBiE13

@Randolph said:

I didn't like Halo 2 much, either. Multiplayer did nothing for me, since that just exposes you to the worst people on the planet earth. Single player was a mixed bag. It felt almost incomplete, and had some bizarre changes. I'm glad that ZZombie also noticed the terrible lighting. In spots, the game was so dark, it was almost unplayable. Halo 3 was much better from a sheer gameplay standpoint, but the presentation left a lot to be desired and because of that the game has aged incredibly poorly.

I truly hope that Halo 2 gets the "Anniversary Edition" treatment like the first Halo did. I really think there is a great game buried in there somewhere. The shooting was better than ever, the two-fisted Needlers were a total blast, I even enjoyed the pistols which most players dismissed when it wasn't as all powerful as the Halo: Combat Evolved pistol. But carrying a pair of them was great. Going in blazing with one in each hand was a great way to take out Grunts and Jackals and the Drones.

If they fixed the lighting issues and the cutscene pop-in it would go a long way toward making the game better. In Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary the graphics were nice, but the game was already great. In Halo 2 though, it's a case of the graphical fidelity infringing on the gameplay side of things. When you play the Library in Anniversary, you get visual cues that lead you in the right direction that were never there in the original. That would make playing through the Flood infested Arbiter levels much more enjoyable. The Sentinel factory as well.

*Fingers Crossed*

Avatar image for deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6
deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#37 deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6
Member since 2013 • 2638 Posts

Ryze Son Of Rome for me.

All graphics no substance.

I had high anticipations for the game.

Avatar image for Shame-usBlackley
Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#38  Edited By Shame-usBlackley
Member since 2002 • 18266 Posts

@acp_45 said:

Ryze Son Of Rome for me.

All graphics no substance.

I had high anticipations for the game.

Really? I'd heard that was the game's MO from pretty much everyone.