The Big 3: Which has the best next-gen remaster?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TiggyTog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Edited By TiggyTog

Poll The Big 3: Which has the best next-gen remaster? (3 votes)

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen 33%
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 67%
Dark Souls 0%

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, Dark Souls.

3 great RPG's constantly compared to each other, can't go on gamefaqs, the gamespot forums, GIANTBOMB, nowhere, without seeing a thread comparing these 3 games to each other in some way.

Reason why?

Well, Dogma took parts from Skyrim, and parts from Dark Souls, and made an awesome game, but that has garnered comparisons, when after awhile, Skyrim itself was dragged into these arguments.

My question to you is, which has the best next-gen remaster/port?

Whether we're talking PC, PS4, Xbox One, which has the best port?

• 
npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#1 npiet1
Member since 2018 • 3576 Posts

Never heard of Dogma. Sykrim has had enough rereleases and Dark souls has already had a remaster/Thread

TiggyTog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 TiggyTog
Member since 2017 • 324 Posts
Loading Video...
Loading Video...
Loading Video...
Loading Video...

@npiet1: Dragon's Dogma revolutionized boss battles in RPG's when it released and to this day, no one can match it in the combat department. Also, if you're wondering about the review, almost all things in it have been fixed. Story was given some flair, fast travel is cheap, quick, easy, and you get it much faster. The game is also on PC, no borders, 60 FPS and I believe supports 4k, or at least upscaled 4k. In his review it was crappy 30 fps on the xbox 360, not locked btw, and had none of the flair that Dark Arisen was given.

Also I've never met anyone who wasn't down with the pawn system.

Read from this point and below, to have your system shocked completely: https://dragonsdogma.wikia.com/wiki/Pawns#Pawn_Creation

TiggyTog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 TiggyTog

@npiet1:

Loading Video...

Sorry I just love getting people into this game, it should be played by every RPG Lover on the planet, and has the best action-rpg combat of practically any game I've ever played, period. If skyrim and even dark souls is all you've played, this game will blow your friggen MIND.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#4 RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11666 Posts

The unnamed Dragon's Crown is the best, it's also crossplay with the previous two devices and all three got the remaster update of added content and improved features.

For all these reasons it is a superior product to all the above. From a remaster point-of-view.

Dragon's Dogma is still an awesome game. And would recommend it to anyone who likes games more focused on gameplay than story telling. It's difficult to put up with the mess that is vanilla Gran Soren. Post-Grigori, and especially BitterBlack are some of the best content Capcom have delivered in the HD generation. If someone is owning a 360 or PS3? Avoid the game called Dragon's Dogma and get the version with the subtitle :Dark Arisen.

TiggyTog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 TiggyTog

@RSM-HQ: Yeah but unfortunately you're severely handicapped in that regard considering you need a Dogma save transferred over to Dark Arisen on PS3 and Xbox 360 in order to get the eternal ferrystone at all. AFAIK they literally won't give it to you without it, among other things you get on PS3 and Xbox 360.

I just got the PC mod that replaced my Dark Arisen music with the original Dragon's Dogma music, so much nostalgia.

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 19

#6 Speeny
Member since 2018 • 3357 Posts

Skyrim for me.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#7 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19566 Posts

I don't think I've heard people comparing these three before, and I wouldn't put any in my top 10 RPGs (Skyrim especially wouldn't make my top 50).

I liked Dragons Dogma - it was sort of like Monster Hunter with party AI. I didn't *love* the game though, since everything outside of the combat was fairly mediocre, and I wasn't so hooked by the combat to forgive everything else.

Dark Souls is really good. 'nuff said. I think it gets overrated in a few areas (the difficulty really drops out after the early stages of the game, there are a bunch of trial-and-instant-death sections that you can't predict, the backstory is a lot better than the actual plot, etc.) - but hey, it's a really solid action-RPG.

Then Skyrim...look, maybe I'm a little biased, because I played it at launch where it was obviously unfinished and key features (like dragons) didn't actually work, but I really don't see why people praise this one? It's your typical Bethesda sequel - stripping down the depth and ramping up the action - which would be fine if the combat wasn't pretty terrible, and if many character skills/types weren't unviable, and if the quests weren't poorly written, and if any of the programming worked properly.

Pretty world, decent music, hilarious bugs - that's about the extent of my praise for Skyrim.

As for what Remaster is better...eh, I don't know. These games came out last gen, so I don't see the point of buying the remastered versions just yet - the originals are still perfectly fine, if a little less convenient to play.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By RSM-HQ
@Planeforger said:

I liked Dragons Dogma - it was sort of like Monster Hunter with party AI.

So like Felyne, which have been in every single Monster Hunter game.

But your comparison is very true, Dragon's Dogma is heavily inspired by Monster Hunter, but so too is Dark Souls.

TiggyTog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 TiggyTog

@RSM-HQ: Back in the day it would've been fair to say Dogma was also inspired by Dark Souls, but they came out so close together.

But Bitterblack Isle was definitely inspired by souls, no question at all.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By RSM-HQ

@tiggytog: Dragon's Dogma was actually inspired mostly by The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, Hideaki Itsuno san says so himself.

BitterBlack most certainly has a DkS vibe to it though.